Opinions on idea of 128 bit CPU

Opinions on idea of 128 bit CPU.

Attached: 670x335.jpg (670x335, 45K)

Why make a 128 bit CPU when it could be 256 bit? Opinions? I'll be here wasting oxygen if you need me.

what calculations could possibly require such large numbers

Attached: 1537415258982.jpg (300x299, 11K)

Here, have this 128bit CPU.

Attached: Pentium3processor.jpg (640x480, 61K)

We need to get started on this right now.

The bitness of a couple only dictates the addressible memory space, not register size. there's literally no reason to have anything above 64 bits for the near future

Well, 128 is a bigger number than 64, so it should be better.

Sounds pretty autistic and edgy. LET'S DO IT!

2^54 K should be enough for anyone.

2 times better to be exact

100k vr hentai competetive gaming

Ackshually "64-bit" systems are only 48-bit in practice. So true 64-bit address space needs to come first.

64 times better actually

If we expect to actually get anywhere as a society (e.g. colonizing the rest of our solar system, developing sentient AI, etc.), we're gonna need more processing power, and not from just slapping thousands of other computers together like current super computers.

It's hard.
Every extra instruction per cycle double the CPU size.
Unless you somehow makes VLIW work in practice.
If you get to do that, there will be literal knife fights over your tech.

128 bit CPUs are so 2006.

128bits is fucking stupid

Go for 127bits. Really fuck with people

kek

/thread

but you don't need 128 bits for that. Maybe if you're simulating the drag between their body parts and it's important that even after tens of hours of gameplay there is still less than 0.0001mm of devitaion.

Why go with 256 bit when you can just make 512 bit? Dummy.

We already do. We just don't need more address space, but CPUs and GPUs already use 128+ bit instructions.

64 bits ought to be enough for anybody.

>implying we won't be needing 512 bits of accuracy in our spaceship to calculate the warp field generator accurately enough so your particles won't scatter around half of the universe and you hit your target down to 5m accuracy one trillion galaxies away.

>not 1024 bit

>not 2048 bit
pleb

>who needs more than 1mb ram anyways

It's not about what we would use it for you idiots, it's about whether we can do it. If we can make more powerful processors we should.

SIMD is fucking 128bit, 256bit, 512bit you dumb faggots

>not using every quantum particle in the universe as a bit
infinapleb

>he doesn't want to mmap the whole zfs addressable space
why?

cant you just combine 2 64 bit cpus to make a 128 bit one?

wont happen because we have 3 decades of x86 software that's impossible to upgrade from for slight performance advantage..

elaborate plz
does this apply to ppc64, sparc64, and arm64?

Attached: vO7lRZ7.png (621x702, 56K)

64 bit processer is fine. 16 exabyte of memory register access is not a problem for now.

128 bit means slower PC. Due to wider memory data.

What a bunch of brainless. Why not 1 megabit?

how about a TeraByte?

Modern x86 CPUs have 512-bit SIMD instructions.

why not a cpu with 2^64 128bit registers?

you could even go back to a pentium I mmx, it had 128 bit registers and opcodes too.

Was not like just 64bit?

(2^128)/(2^64)=2^64
>>??

YEAH BUT PETABYTE WILL PROTECT ANIMALS

Pedobyte

Also are people here confusing memory bus with instruction sets or something?

I'd guess, probably.

>PETA
>protect animals
They're pretty much some sort of nazi camp that kills any animal they deem "unfit for nature".

Bad. It's a bad idea.

The average user does not need 128bit registers. They really never will need that big or registers. Nor do they need 2^128 of addressable memory space.

Going to 128bit will just mean your RAM is even more wasted than it is now for bits that will never be used.

The only place these are needed is in specialized computing and they already do this on their own.

>elaborate plz
>does this apply to ppc64, sparc64, and arm64?
virtual address space

nod rly necessary

No benefit.

Previously the benefit was mainly more addressable memory

We've solved that. So what would you use 128but+ wide registers for?

Normal calculations don't need it. Big number arithmetic? We have specialized instructions for that as well as specialized co-processors.

So really there's no benefit for it outside a niche which already has a solution.

I know how to make a CPU that will work with infinitive length registers.

nigga just increase the number of cache lines you don't need a 128bit cpu

>not using 2048 bits
Don't you guys want to be able to hold an entire RSA key in a register? Fucking plebs.
>Implying that 2^64 == 64
>Implying that twice as many bits isn't twice as good.
Brainlet incapable of counting detected.

For what purpose? 64bit is fine

WTF are you even gonna do with 128-bit?

64-bit is −9,223,372,036,854,775,808 (−263) through 9,223,372,036,854,775,807 (263 − 1)

You won't even run out of numbers for a LONG time, unlike what happened with 32-bit's 4 billion

Start using 128 bit RSA keys. Let me know how well that works out for you.

>CPU can't even address more than 40 bits
>wants more than 64 bits of address space
lmmao @ ur life kiddo

who needs a 128 bit cpu when I have ps2 loonix and the """128-bit emotion engine"""

>he fell for the 17179869184 GB of RAM meme

Yeah that's why I bought a risen. 64*8= 1025bits

>You won't even run out of numbers

I predicted the shitfest inside this thread
from the first time I saw it 5 hours ago.
here we go.
your architecture is not defined by a group of specific registers for one type of workload, but by its generic bus width.
fun fact, 64bit is all we want.
it doesn't have the complexity or take over large areas like 128bit buses/registers/e.t.c., it is not that small to limit addressable memory ranges, e.g. 32-bit, it keeps the caches, ROBs, BTBs, e.t.c. small enough to avoid latencies, high power consumption and so on and so forth.

>tfw I have no idea how CPUs work and don't know what any of this means

Attached: 1527715754933.jpg (720x711, 26K)

>Using RSA keys when quantum computers are knocking at the door
Retard

>2048bit RSA
>calling others plebs

We already have 256-bit ones though.

Attached: FPTeaming.png (575x266, 17K)

>hurr what would we need 128 bit cpus for
Assuming a full 128 bit address line, we still wouldn't have enough space to store the information for an entire human being at the atomic level. If you want teleportation, you're gonna have to go bigger, quantum shit aside.

Durr...I have $8 million burning a hole in my pocket that I would like to spend entirely on RAM.

We're barely even taking advantage of 64 bit.

Just basically understand they do math. Depending on their bells and whistles (instruction set) they can very very very precise math slowly or very precise math faster.

Actually we are but not by using all 64-bits. With the advent of AVX we can do the same math on a set of data per clock cycle.

ie (32-bit + 32-bit) & (32-bit + 32-bit)/clock
instead of 32-bit + 32-bit/clock

>Not detecting an ironic post

Dear beautiful plumbers,

I'm going to fuck you and please you with cum

Attached: 1326704261620.jpg (600x763, 76K)

>Not using ECDSA in the year or the Lord 2018

>This isn't bowsette

>Using ECDSA NSA botnet

256bit, with some FP/FractionNumber handling circuits, so it does precise math faster would be good along with CLU's having same capabilities. Range could get somehow unused, but it'll be more precise in same time and that would be good for my OCD. It's not just about the address space but maths too.

2048 could be fine... It would require whole hardware to be 3D stacked, even the connectors, but it would work.

It would be amazing advencement in technology if we used it.

>Going to 128bit will just mean your RAM is even more wasted than it is now for bits that will never be used.

Isn't it the other way around? Your cpu will be wasted because we don't have enough ram to use the bits

ARM is the future niggers

ARM has "been the future" since 2010.

ARM is as much the past is x64 is. The future will look more like WaveScalar. Explicit data dependency is the easiest way to get more instruction level parallelism when the processes are not getting much better.

Yeah and AVX512 will throttle your CPU in three seconds.

64 bit won't be saturated for a long time for home usage

We are nowhere close to maxing out the max address space available to a 64-bit machine, and only recently has RAM bandwidth started to have an even slightly meaningful effect on system performance outside of highly application specific (GPUs) or extremely high end (supercomputers and massive servers) applications.

RISC-V has a 128-bit ISA proposal, but the current version basically just says "this doesn't exist yet because there's no logical reason for it to exist"

And more importantly, cache.
Retard

Nigga I don't even know what to tell you now.

Maybe because just about fucking every variable is 4 bytes long, very occasionally 8, which is only 64bits of calculation. 128bit would get rid of all those gay physics engine errors at the expense of needing a shiton of ram.

>Nigga

Attached: reddit.png (310x310, 25K)

>t. 32gb ram retard

Why not a 4GB cpu

32-bit was all we needed. 64-bit is already useless.

>Idiot

You're the idiot.

With 64 bit CPUs we can already theoretically address 16 Exbibyte of RAM so that won't happen in the near future

Would we lose compatibility with 32 bit programs with 128 but CPUs?

32 bit is fine for consumers
4 gb of hbm and 128 gigabyte of nvme is more than anyone needs

I don't think so since we can run 32 bit programs on 64 bit CPUs

The number of dicks OP sucks.