Arch or Gentoo?

So should I get rid of Arch in favor of Gentoo, or should I just stick with Arch because God who knows fucking why?

Attached: images.png (111x62, 2K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Kernel_Deblobing
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Kernel/Gentoo_Kernel_Configuration_Guide
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Genkernel
lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2014-May/019657.html
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd
github.com/tmux/tmux/issues/428
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Yes, I do understand that the picture says slackware, I know slackware and Gentoo are not the same thing, but either way you get the point. Tell me your opinions about this and please, be cancerous.

Arch is based

Unless you're building an ultra minimalist system for some reason, like you need to run Linux on a 486 or something, and need the compile time debloating stick with Arch

I see no reason basically ever to run slackware, worst of both worlds

gentoo for the sake of openrc

meme

likely to bring bugs because of being non standard

i use openrc for several years on different os's
works great for me, what bugs are you talking about?

reddit spacing samefag detected

and here come the children recommending a*ch unironically

Depends on which one you want to larp more.

I was an archfag about a month ago but then I decided to switch because fuck systemd.
Arch is unironically the literal definition of bloat, no matter what archfags say.
The kernel is compiled with basically everything on and a lot of programs are grouped together in a single package.
Gentoo is really comfy once you set it up how you want and the only program that takes a while to compile on my machine is firefox(about 10-15 minutes on a ryzen 1700) but there is a binary packaged version if you want.
The simple fact that USE flags exist is one of the best features of gentoo because im finally able to have a system without freedesktop/pottering shitware (no dbus/systemd/pulseaudio/*kits).
Just fucking install it.

fuck off lennart, and go back to r*ddit.

Attached: 1529263297204.png (1920x1080, 512K)

>a lot of programs are grouped together in a single package
Gotta get that pkg count lower in neofetch somehow.

I like rc init scripts. I also like how easy it is to clean up unused dependancies and software with portage on Gentoo. My only fear s finding out that I need feature that I did not think to compile in. The resolve is simply to reinstall with the new USE flag, but if I am pressed for time and there is someone watching over my shoulder Iwould feel like an ass.

God damn Arch users are retarded.

Honestly though, that situation would never happen because I don't have any friends that would hang out at my place for any reason. Maybe if I find some friends and have a reason to get a laptop and go out in public, I would then have a reason to be less autistic with my Gentoo setup.

I started on Ubuntu many years ago. I ran it for a while, satisfied, until Jow Forums recommended I use arch. I used arch for many years until Jow Forums convinced me systemd was bad, at which point I installed Gentoo. I ran Gentoo for about two years. Now, I run NixOS.

Do whatever you want. They're all fun.

>reddit spacing samefag detected
Can you kill yourself, faggot?

Niggers (You) are retarded.

can you just stop samefagging and fuck off back to plebbit already?

Thoughts on quality and quantity of software available on Gentoo vs Arch? Archhas AUR, but I assume it tends to be full of crap. Which community is on top of things?

do you understand what samefagging is, faggot?

arch is for those too stupid to install Gentoo GNU.

Gentoo is for those who like recompiling their kernel.

This is kind of a non answer but go for whatever dude. Caving into OS elitists is unhealthy.

The truth hurts, doesn't it retard

Gentoo packages are maintained pretty fuckin well, and you get exactly what you choose to build.
The downside is some things like firefox-opensuse-kde doesnt have a well maintained ebuild available on emerge.

Yes, there is no god, life is meaningless and suffering, and we're all going to die someday.

Take that back infidel

I think that the main repos are about the same for both, but you have user repositories on gentoo too(overlays).
Some of the packages in the main portage tree can be a bit old if you are on stable, but you can keyword ~amd64 per package if you want.
I wouldn't run an entire system on testing though.

Nix is your main system? It just doesn't seem worth it, there is so much that isn't maintained in packages yet for a desktop system.

Attached: c634un3um2q11.png (960x930, 956K)

Can you use Linux-Libre with Gentoo?

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Kernel_Deblobing

that's not samefagging, newfriend. I suggest you lurk more for a year or two.

btw, this posting style is not exclusive to lebbit, it's called "making your posts more readable".

maybe you should just go back?

Is there really a reason to turn features off at compile time? You might need it one day, and it's not like 5 extra GB is something to worry about.

Arch runs blazing fast on my 1 Ghz dual core laptop with 2GB of RAM. I just don't think kernel or .so bloat is a concern nowadays.

That's why I said Gentoo is probably only relevant if you need to run Linux on a 486, maybe an early pentium machine.

But at that point you can't even run a web browser very well so you're gonna be limited by applications more than by kernel and basic libraries

Arch is too reddit now, use fedora, the one that Linus uses.

He uses that because he's paid by RedHat, duh

arch is shit gentoo is god tier

you don't need to compile everything user

>Is there really a reason to turn features off at compile time?
I don't need support for pulseaudio/gnome/kde etc. in every program because I am absolutely sure that I will never install them.
>it's not like 5 extra GB is something to worry about.
SSD space is still kinda limited.
>I just don't think kernel or .so bloat is a concern nowadays.
Kernel bloat is especially important for boot times on HDDs.

Besides all that I just like to be able to choose a different init system because I absolutely do not need my efivars mounted rw, google's DNS servers set as default, a fucking binary syslog or whatever else might be lurking in the 1+million SLOC abomination that is systemd.

Attached: 1522894781870.png (1024x436, 153K)

Arch is top. The Wiki and AUR are really good to have.
The Gentoo compiling meme is a waste of time. Anyway without Arch I would be using Gentoo.

What's so good with AUR? Is it just a better PPA?

>Yes, I do understand that the picture says slackware
So use Slackware.

>I don't need support for pulseaudio/gnome/kde etc. in every program because I am absolutely sure that I will never install them.

You don't need it, but you don't need to configure it, wait for it to compile, and whatever else arch users do. So you're trading (very) little ram for convenience.

>Kernel bloat is especially important for boot times on HDDs.

Not really. Most of the time is spent firing up daemons, waiting for network, loading graphic modules, etc. The actual kernel itself is loaded in like 3 seconds even on an actual HD.

Remember kernel modules are loaded only if needed, even if everything is enabled (as a module) at compile time.

You might have a point on the other stuff you said.

>So you're trading (very) little ram for convenience.
My workflow sometimes requires running 2 or 3 VMs at the same time so I'm gonna take every mb of ram that I can.

Run in containers then mr memory man, why have the extra overhead of a vm?

Attached: 1537584600707.png (750x750, 787K)

>Run in containers
I already do mr small peepee man but sadly I can't run everything that I need in containers.
Besides, containers still use memory you know.

Attached: 1532377029341.png (804x906, 46K)

>Besides, containers still use memory you know.
Only what they need, they don't get dedicated memory.

Is this a joke? nixpkgs is almost as big as the aur, and it is portable

literally never install arch

Why not?

Just delete /var/cache/pacman/pkg/*

Gentoo with OpenRC if you want to compile everything. Artix (Arch with OpenRC) if you don't/if you want to use the AUR.

Or Slackware with its SystemV.

Why? They aren't even similar. The only people who say stupid things like this are those who see that both involve a command line installation and automatically assume that makes them the same. Stop being retarded. Arch and Gentoo could not be more different in terms of philosophy.

you still compile on arch as well, except you have to check the buildscripts
it is community based and people can create buildscripts to give you any program for your system. but if your pc is slow it will take more time compiling than getting actual work done, you would also have to check buildscripts
this
for me, it is too unstable and breaks easily (it also uses systemd and i do not trust it)
except for slackware you have to find the source tarballs and dependancy tarballs

>for me, it is too unstable and breaks easily
I think you fuck up your own shit. I've never had anything break, that I didn't fuck up.

> (it also uses systemd and i do not trust it)
Why do you trust it, because others tell you not to?

*don't

>I think you fuck up your own shit. I've never had anything break, that I didn't fuck up.
I had a mbr working installation with grub. I decided to make my arch install more secure and used the arch wiki page as a reference. I don't remember exactly what I did, but I edited something in /etc and then arch wouldn't boot.
>Why do you trust it, because others tell you not to?
1. I read a github issue page were multiple people were saying how systemd mounts efivars rw (not safe) and that it could lead to hardware damages, but it was left unfixed and closed.
2. it isn't modular and it could do multiple tasks even when it should just be a few tasks.
3. dns defaulting to 8.8.8.8 (also why is my init system managing my dns?)
tl;dr i might just be repeating the same statements as other people state but i don't trust it

>I don't remember exactly what I did, but I edited something in /etc and then arch wouldn't boot.
You're the problem.

Attached: damage.png (638x351, 412K)

>Arch
>based
btw i use arch

how do i make my kernel desu? like how do i know what to enable for ma shit to werk?

I just made this thread if any of you who are knowledgeable with the gentoo could please comment

You should really read the handbook but basically there are two ways:
the autisic manual way that lets you have a very minimal and small kernel configured precisely to your needs.
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Kernel/Gentoo_Kernel_Configuration_Guide
You will probably fuck it up the first couple of times so keep the livecd handy for the inevitable kernel panic.

Or if you are too much of a brainlet just use genkernel.
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Genkernel

i read it but it doesn't say much on that

parabola openrc edition for the sake of openrc

It's funny that the only good part of Arch is the main feature of Gentoo (AUR and Portage).

>All this reddit spacing

Attached: 1536278749057.jpg (1210x671, 71K)

emerge linux-src (or whichever way to get the source code)
cd /usr/src/linux
sudo mv .config .config.bak (in case you have a config already)
sudo zcat /proc/config.gz > ./.config (get your current config)
sudo make menuconfig (where you can flip the switches for what you want enabled)

After making your config, run sudo make && sudo make install. (if you have LILO or ELILO make sure to run lilo or eliloconfig or else you'll get module errors on reboot)

redpill me on systemd

it's intentional takeover of as much low level stuff as possible to force everyone use it by making it harder to use alternatives

Attached: Screenshot_2018-10-05 [systemd-devel] Services enabled by default -or8.png (844x717, 34K)

that email makes this Lennart guy sound like a massive, freedom hating turd

>massive, freedom hating turd
that's exactly what that piece of shit is.

read this one:
lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2014-May/019657.html

>the official quick rundown
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd

>should I get rid of Arch in favor of Gentoo
sure, if you want a source based distro

>literal SHUT IT DOWN response
keked

Attached: Symbos msx2.gif (512x424, 43K)

>8.8.8.8 as default DNS
I'll stick with my openRC, thanks

github.com/tmux/tmux/issues/428