So now that the dust has settled, what's Jow Forums's take on the bloomberg story?

so now that the dust has settled, what's Jow Forums's take on the bloomberg story?

Attached: Capture.png (1293x660, 88K)

Other urls found in this thread:

theregister.co.uk/2018/10/04/supermicro_bloomberg/
wired.com/2016/06/demonically-clever-backdoor-hides-inside-computer-chip/
arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/10/bloomberg-super-micro-motherboards-used-by-apple-amazon-contained-chinese-spy-chips/
ioactive.com/multiple-vulnerabilities-in-bhu-wifi/
sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2018/08/01/details-chinese-spy-dianne-feinstein-san-francisco/
arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/05/photos-of-an-nsa-upgrade-factory-show-cisco-router-getting-implant/
lightbluetouchpaper.org/2018/10/05/making-sense-of-the-supermicro-motherboard-attack/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

the dust hasn't settled you globalist shill. Give it a week

Real and Apple & Amazon are ass burn

The fact that they think it was contained only to 30 companies is the joke.

everything is compromised, china wins; time to go live in a shack in the woods and send mail bombs to compsci professors

If anything it's the wake up call American companies needed.

Everyone that isn't an idiot has been saying this for years already, it's fucking terrible to be right about something this shitty though

this is only discovered after the chinese tariffs

really makes you think...

Kaczinsky truly was a man ahead of his time.. a trendsetter anf forward thinker of the highest caliber

Attached: lauging anime girl.gif (400x225, 1.38M)

no, not really, the article says some of these were ordered as far back as 2015 or so, maybe earlier

>(((berg)))

'nuff said

Adults are talking.

No point doing that on a digitized underwater basket weaving forum but eh.

In all seriousness this is very typical of the peoples liberation group (chinese militay) and was a very effective move on the chinese gov's part. I'm not too certain how widespread the problem is so i'll keep my tounge for that.

Amazon got BTFO though, it's also very suspicious how they just happened to be the ones to discover the problem.

My career is finally relevant yahoo. I'm a supply chain SME for a government contractor. This is a pretty big deal, but it's likely not going to hurt the government. Our govt has a lot of problems, but they're willing to spend the extra money to make sure that their stuff isn't tampered with. Standards exist (ISO 28000 and 20243) designed to catch this sort of thing. It just adds some extra price per unit. Jews who run these companies can't imagine spending money on supply chain security. But that's mostly because they don't understand it. Ten years ago, supply chain risk management was "how will I get my hard drives if there's a mudslide in Bangladesh?" but now it's "How will I know if the dirty Chinamen put their electric rice in my motherboards?"

It's possible Amazon, Apple and others missed it. I'll wait it out but it seems plausible enough to me. People have assumed the NSA was doing similar things for years. Why couldn't the Chinese do that as well when they control factories?

This is just fearmongering

Attached: 1516797450402.png (318x301, 195K)

The dust is just starting to rise. Wait a few months until the realisation of the chinese botnet hits normies.

Very likely real. Supermicro used a dodgy supplier that was happy to insert shit for the CPC. Apple doesn't buy Supermicro (hasn't since 2016 when they uncovered a BMC security issue) and Amazon wouldn't have noticed.

its a ploy by the US government to eliminate any and all hardware that does not have hardware backdoors for the nsa, and since china can make what ever they want and send it here, the US realized that they are sending over server, laptop, desktop, and or cellphone motherboards and or the complete devices, all of which are not backdoored for the US government to have access to.

but the US gov is trying to spin the story in quite literally an opposite light, suggesting that china is infact backdooring hardware for its own gain

good job using the wrong saying. Dust is just beginning to settle, or if you actually meant rise then maybe say stir.

i like how boomerberger has so little mention of how the smd capacitor I MEAN advanced hax bakdoor69 chip works. Almost as if the us goy i mean gov gave them a really bodge cobbled together story to convince the public to not buy Chinese hardware so the US gov could push their own backdoored hardware. Remember, always buy Panasonic laptops, made in japan, usually osaka.

The what story?

We're going to realize that everything we have and know is cucked and botnet.

This is a good analysis of the whole shitfest
theregister.co.uk/2018/10/04/supermicro_bloomberg/

I need a brief gestalt

How is it suspicious when they've got ther money to scrutinize every piece of hardware in their data centers?
Others may have found it as well, not just two of the biggest tech companies in the world, but just kept it quiet due to our spooks telling them to.

Hardware backdoors are pretty easy, a single well placed capacitor can give you ring -1 privileges.

wired.com/2016/06/demonically-clever-backdoor-hides-inside-computer-chip/

This is from 2016, it's like pottery, because they even mention chinese factories in the first paragraph. Everyone with a brain knew this would happen sooner or later.

Fake news.
The NSA, however, does do the exact thing China is now stands accused of (interdiction centers)
Apple and the rest deny it forcefully.
The source of the claims are anonymous, and only 1(one) image of all supposed spy chip is provided as evidence.
The burden of proof rests on the accuser.
We had voluminous documents to substantiate snowden, as well as acknowledgement from the us government at e documents were legitimate, though their attempts to suppress the information under the pretext that it harmed national security.
The Bloomberg article doesn't even compare.

I find it credible that the Chinese are engaged in industrial espionage, and would be very surprised if they weren't.
But the claims in the article aren't proof of that.

yes i am going to trust a britbong (near illiterate, raped by negros and muslims) to give me a synopsis of the bloomberg article (boomer news source) about a situation that was likely made up by the US government to do

>the article which came out with the tarriffs says that this goes back to 2015

remember back in 2014 when arstechnical run a story from an user leak that nsa highjacked servers and routers and they were installing their own FW on their devices and then shipped them throughout the world?

yeah its ok when usa does it

so who would have knew that its literally another hit job

Amazon says that it's untrue that "[Amazon Web Services] worked with the FBI to investigate or provide data about malicious hardware;" Apple writes that it is "not aware of any investigation by the FBI," and Super Micro similarly is "not aware of any investigation regarding this topic." Apple suggests further that Bloomberg may be misunderstanding the 2016 incident in which a Super Micro server with malware-infected firmware was found in Apple's design lab.
arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/10/bloomberg-super-micro-motherboards-used-by-apple-amazon-contained-chinese-spy-chips/

cts labs number 2

>put their electric rice in my motherboards
Lol.

>mostly to steal corporate secrets
>secondary to lurk on DoD public networks
Literary a zero interest for anyone on this website.

Speak for yourself mong

Imagine being this gullible

Bloombergs story sounds a bit wicked overall but I'm absolutely sure that most hardware is tampered and backdoored either by the chinks, by the nsa, by the manufacturer itself or most likely all three of them.
Remember the chink water heaters with wi-fi wiretapping and the chink phones where spy-hard and -software was found.

Never forgetti that China is still a communist country where government espionage and copyright have quite a different weight than in our world.
Chinks also hate white pll more than they hate chinks so I bet the population supports this.

> "How will I know if the dirty Chinamen put their electric rice in my motherboards?"
kek. you should write poems

Attached: 1535904921207.jpg (750x749, 130K)

retard

Companies will do what companies do best, and keep using whatever's cheapest. This is a wakeup for the American government, to start increase import/export taxes to china, lower taxes for companies, and incentivise local businesses to pick up the reigns and become self sufficient. Nothing personal China.

Hang on a minute, isn't this what trump wants/is doing?

> Remember, always buy Panasonic laptops, made in japan
Sorry to tell you that naive little babby, but all the silicon in there isn't made by panasonic or in japan. Its chink.

wrong, google it.

the article itself repeated itself too much

Waiting for more information. That is my take.

>The NSA, however, does do the exact thing China is now stands accused of (interdiction centers)
From a non burger perspective I know 100% certain that the US intercepts and roots shit they send to their ally. I assume Chinks are too incompetent to do it and not get caught (for real caught with evidence). So to me the burgers are the bigger threat.

>wrong
highly doubt it

>google it
provide link, smartass. couldn't find anything

based

Who?

Jow Forums shill fighting for trillion dollar corporations and the army supercomplex. kek.

PANASONIC PRODUCES SILICON YOU FUCKWIT.

US swaps incoming hardware batches to be able to show something to the rage-hungry amerimutts.
Sadly they cant use the steal-beam-trick again.

But certainly not all that is found in a laptop lol

Inside word on wallstreet is that Apple and Amazon are lying through their teeth. Bloomberg's reporting is air tight. They already had the denials in hand before they published their story, but published it anyway. Why? Because they've got a fuckton of sources with verified credentials.

The real question is, how the fuck do you prevent this outside of moving all chip and motherboard production to be state-side?

Amazon, Apple, and Super Micro are all lying.

The dust has not settled, that's the problem.

>newfag
out

We've already seen Chinese made hardware with ridiculous security issues.
ioactive.com/multiple-vulnerabilities-in-bhu-wifi/
We know they have spies in the US
sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2018/08/01/details-chinese-spy-dianne-feinstein-san-francisco/
That said, they should have waited until they had one of these chips and had it analyzed. Hopefully they've scared people into doing security audits on everything, because like other people have pointed out, China isn't the only country that pulls this shit.

we also have seen this
arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/05/photos-of-an-nsa-upgrade-factory-show-cisco-router-getting-implant/

but nothing happened..hell not even when snowden gave away the sniffing tools that nsa was using on cisco no one bat an eye

>Boomerberg
Who cares

I would hope nobody buys Cisco. If these companies have ties to their government and break their hardware to make it easier to spy, the best thing to do is announce it to the world and hope the go bankrupt.

You're trying too hard.

And yet when tasked to describe how does the chip operate all they could muster was "it modifies the system". Quality journalism right there.

With every passing day, this man becomes more and more validated. God help us all.

Attached: mde_never_dies.jpg (1024x576, 184K)

>The real question is, how the fuck do you prevent this outside of moving all chip and motherboard production to be state-side?
You can't ... and even mundane items (furby) can be a security threat. So really the only solution is full on isolationism.

They can't lie without fear of legal repercussions. The SEC would have a field day. Look at what happened to Elon Musk.

>whataboutism

spying on you from usa gets a pass
spying on you from any other country is wrong

get your shit together pajeet

As a burger, I would say that the NSA is as big a threat to our own civilian life as it is to anyone.

It's on the BMC. If you are capable of understanding that, then you don't need somebody to explain the details of why that's game over for that server. Bloomberg's audience are wallstreet types who don't care about such details.

>>They can't lie without fear of legal repercussions. The SEC
Yes they can. If the Federal government tells them to lie, because they hit them all with NSLs, the Federal government can also offer them assurances that the SEC won't be on their ass and even give them immunity to all shareholder lawsuits (for instance we know the AT&T got immunity for cooperating with the NSA back in the early 2000s). The only check against a corporation lying is the courts, and the federal government can completely nullify that.

>It's on the BMC. If you are capable of understanding that, then you don't need somebody to explain the details of why that's game over for that server.
That ok, but I'd like to know exactly how does it operate and how could they just attach an extra chip to BMC as I'm fairly confident they don't have unused IO lines just dangling around, or even available.

National security letters can't compel public speech, compelled speech doctrine and all.

No, but if the NSL is sufficiently persuasive it can persuade the company to voluntarily make false statements. Nobody said these companies were compelled to make false statements.

If they have been offered immunity for lying to shareholders, they would do so in a heartbeat. They have every financial incentive to lie about this.

Both Jews and Chinese are the Communist's of this world.

>Federal government tells them to lie
Why would they want to do that? It's the chinese, not the nsa.

Counterespionage operations are something you want to keep under wraps user. This is like spycraft 101.

This whole story was specifically designed to tank Supermicro's stock.

You sound like a conspiracy theorist to be honest.

>The Bloomberg Businessweek reports are low on technical details, but they do show two interesting things. The first is a picture of the alleged implant. This shows a 6-pin silicon chip inside a roughly 1mm x 2mm ceramic package – as often used for capacitors and other so-called ‘passive’ components, which are typically overlooked.

>The other is an animation highlighting this implant chip on a motherboard. Extracting the images from this animation shows the base image is of a Supermicro B1DRi board. As others have noted, this is mounted in a spare footprint between the BMC chip and a Serial-Peripheral Interface (SPI) flash chip that likely contains the BMC’s firmware. Perhaps the animation is an artist’s concept only, but this is just the right place to compromise the BMC.

>SPI is a popular format for firmware flash memories – it’s a relatively simple, relatively slow interface, using only four signal wires. Quad SPI (QSPI), a faster version, uses six wires for faster transmission. The Supermicro board here appears to have a QSPI chip, but also a space for an SPI chip as a manufacturing-time option. The alleged implant is mounted in part of the space where the SPI chip would go. Limited interception or modification of SPI communication is something that a medium complexity digital chip (a basic custom chip, or an off-the-shelf programmable CPLD) could do – but not to a great extent. Six pins is enough to intercept the four SPI wires, plus two power. The packaging of this implant would, however, be completely custom.

lightbluetouchpaper.org/2018/10/05/making-sense-of-the-supermicro-motherboard-attack/

Nothing shown off so far implies that this is all legitimate. There needs to be an actual investigation.

All official investigation will be deeply classified.