Why is captcha enabled by default...

Why is captcha enabled by default? There are far better ways of preventing spam and abuse that don't fuck over your main userbase.

Attached: recaptcha.png (1200x1200, 46K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ai.tencent.com/ailab/media/publications/Yan_Wang-EMNLP2017-Deep_Neural_Solver_for_Math_Word_Problems.pdf
sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1877050915003932
ams-ix.thedatacentergroup.eu/product/standard-tdcg-ams-ix-rack/
aws.amazon.com/cloudfront/pricing/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Try to find one, there aren't any. You know this if you actually had any experience in the field.

/b/ and nudie boards have spam for sex sites posted every day. Not in the ads section, actual threads. He doesn't give a shit about the spam. He wants you to shell out shekels for an account.

There are. Google is just really good at suckering potential clients in with their fearmongering tactics

Post them then. reCAPTCHA is the best option. A terrible option but still the best.

Other chans have a captcha that isn't Jewgles. You don't have to use Jewgle anything. Gook moot is a Jew because he knows it takes five minutes for a captcha image to refresh. He wants you to give him money for an account.

The stuff that stormnigger.org uses

Easy, do math questions captcha.

there doesn't have to be a single solution. a simple text-based captcha prevents most spam and wont hold up regular posters. blacklisted ips can be forced to go through recaptcha.

Attached: 72457827178.png (713x296, 17K)

Computer solves it.
And they can be autosolved. Bui has done this before because Bui is an autist. Bui has even wiped entire Jow Forums boards with recaptcha enabled. Any autist can bypass shitty captcha implementation if they have enough money or time.

Remember. This is Jow Forums. People will continue to find ways to erase the boards through spamming. This is an issue that effects pretty much every imageboard. 8ch, lainchan, endchan, etc.

Attached: 1529972192180.gif (720x348, 1.33M)

>There are far better ways of preventing spam and abuse
Like?

like what
please name other solutions to spam

Not if you use combination of words. And ask it as a math problem. A boy has 2 apples, he gets 2 more, how many does he have?

This.

Nice and simple.

You could easily check the question for keywords and have the spambot format it.

>ask it as a math problem. A boy has 2 apples, he gets 2 more, how many does he have?

Congrats.
You came up with something even more annoying than clicking pictures.

this sounds good

two words my niggers: adversarial neural networks
think about that

one net transformates text-images aiming to increase uncertainty in neural networks trained to recognize text, and the other net trains on how to defeat the first net, and you use that as the starting point for the next iteration.
repeat ad infinitum

any flaws in this?

People will stop buying passes.

Fuck off, it would mean typing literally one character which is infinitely faster than the utter shit we currently have. The problems don't even have to be difficult to completely fool bots

that's a GOOD thing.

>there are better ways of preventing spam than captcha
>like what?
>just use another type of captcha

Attached: 8d6.jpg (645x729, 41K)

>all captchas are equal
retard. a non jewed text based captcha like takes one second to solve, with no issues. recaptcha can take minutes to solve because its niggerlicious.

you didnt say recaptcha, you just said captcha

>he didn't look at the image

stop trying to make excuses for your retardation

recaptcha.png

Moot tried regular captchas but they brought his array of Mac Minis to its knees because of the additional load of generating millions of captchas per day. It was easier and cheaper to just offload it to Google, so that's what happened.

that makes sense. i don't see the need for a default captcha in the first place. spammers can basically get through anything except recaptcha. simply forcing blacklisted ips to use recaptcha and everyone else doesn't have one seems to make the most sense.

That doesn't work either. There are some people on this website with severe autism and will painstakingly curate lists of non-blacklisted proxies. One of them literally sat there and either paid or solved captchas manually for months so he could spam mangled pictures of Accelerator (an anime character) on /a/. He had four gagillion proxies and pretty much never slept. It was fucking unreal.

it works the other way as well, though. have a guy constantly update the blacklist with all known proxies and ips associated with spam.

You will never ever find all of the open proxies or VPNs on the internet. It's very likely that Accelspammer was paying for proxy lists, VPNs, or cloud hosting providers that allowed him to change his IP. It's hard to aggregate all of those, that's why captchas exist to begin with.

No there aren't, I remember moot tried different things to stop the AnonTalk autist from spamming every board and he only stopped when captchas were added.

of course not, but it would work the significant majority of time. i know nothing will change either way, as recaptcha actually incentivizes people to buy a pass.

>but it would work the significant majority of time
No it wouldn't. It has been tried in the past and the site was virtually unusable. Lurk more.

easy/easier to solve in an automated fashion

Jow Forums was better before recaptcha. lurk more.

Years before it was implemented? Sure. You weren't around then but, yes, it was. It was not better in the months leading up to the captcha being implemented. The site was fucked with spam at that point.

Then how does stormfront, probably in the top 5 most hated sites, survive without using recaptcha? They use a local interactive captcha

they pay their janitors? idk

Stormfront doesn't have literally 500,000 posts per day and it has less overhead by virtue of not being an imageboard that costs a retarded amount of money to run. Also, white nationalists are more likely to donate money than glue huffing /b/tards so they can throw more money at their problems.

the site was fucked with spam because they didn't handle it properly. that's what happens when you have a brainlet operating the site who doesn't pay people.

if moot did that he wouldn't have a cushy job at google right now.

Where do you think he was going to get money to pay janitors from you retard?

How about 8ch then

eh, no need for that. they already used ML to break it
ai.tencent.com/ailab/media/publications/Yan_Wang-EMNLP2017-Deep_Neural_Solver_for_Math_Word_Problems.pdf
sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1877050915003932
there is a lot more. but yeah.. been broken, totally useless system.

>best option
>doesn't even do it's fucking job

Heck, they let you post for like a day worth of posts per captcha (that instance is a pain in the ass though)

Also what about irc servers. They don't even HAVE a captcha.

>implying it's to prevent spam
this is a botnet
gookmoot's selling our data
captcha is another form of revenue

ads, the shit you see at the top of the screen on every page, retard.

They have less than a tenth of the traffic that Jow Forums has, and they have an order of magnitude more moderators based off each board being community run. It can't work like that here because over there someone just makes another board if someone starts power tripping. Here another moderator or admin needs to deal with it, which means they need to keep tabs on all the janitors, so they can't just add a shitload of nobodies.

>the site was fucked with spam because they didn't handle it properly
you have no idea how much spam there was and how easy it was to spam Jow Forums

Most people forget it exists.
I'm a racist antisemite nazi the only times I remember stormfront is a thing is when someone here brings it up.

I understand that you don't understand how much a site like this costs to run but you should probably try using your head for a bit. It's at least $5,000 a month to colo one 10 Gbps server and given that as of October 27, 2016 the site served 3 petabytes of traffic per month, you would likely need at least 20 Gbps at peak periods to not drown. That's around $10,000 - $20,000 PER MONTH just to house the servers, and not including the cost of the servers themselves or ongoing maintenance. There are also other additional costs on top of that, like paying for Cloudflare enterprise, which is probably just as expensive for a site this large. And none of this is even taking the expensive cloud storage route, where AWS would cost $90,000 per month to host the site.

>tfw stormfrom's userbase are all government alphabet agencies
>they're not communicating with each other so they're blisfully unaware they're all suits

if they cared about spam and not about the botnet, they would use something like 8 chan uses

just buy a pass if you want go shitpost so much or move on to another of those great imageboards that don’t use “jeewgle” captcha. stop being so fucking entitled

i am utterly convinced the janitors post this whenever captcha is ever mentioned

I miss the guy with the bot that posted the same pic of RMS every morning

Attached: 1275566413334.jpg (377x500, 81K)

You're pretty naive. People have been blocking trackers and google. Google had foresight and created this tool to ensure most sites would opt for it as a no-brain solution.

Guess what? We're tracked no matter what if we want to use any website.

The internet is over. The SJW's have won.

your costs are laughably off. not even going to get into it because of the absurdity.

>because they didn't handle it properly

They're pretty fucking accurate user. I doubt you've ever even stepped foot in a datacenter, but you're not going to find a 10 Gbps uplink for less than that. And no I'm not talking about one of your shitty "unmetered" connections that is actually shared with other people and will cut you off when you actually start saturating the link. Real bandwidth is expensive.

top kek

ams-ix.thedatacentergroup.eu/product/standard-tdcg-ams-ix-rack/
you're retarded. $5000 would get you 10 gbps bandwidth and a port to the largest ixp in the area, along with rented servers. once again, your costs are way off.

>$5000 would get you 10 gbps bandwidth
That is literally what I said you retard, and that isn't enough for 3PB per month, especially not on a site that get DDOS attacked as much as this one. 3PB per month is an average of 10 Gbps every single second for a month, not taking into account peak hours. You need at least 20 Gbps for a site as large as Jow Forums, maybe more. Which means you're talking $10,000 if you're scaling linearly, and here's a spoiler: that's not how it fucking works. So yes, my estimate of $10,000 - $20,000 per month is accurate, I know this from experience. Also, just for lols my AWS pricing was accurate too. You can check their matrix here[0] and it's about $0.030 per GB up to 4 PB (it's a progressive scale so it ends up being more than $90,000 but whatever)

[0] aws.amazon.com/cloudfront/pricing/

>That is literally what I said you retard
how convienent of you to skip the last half of the sentence, you absolute faggot.
>You need at least 20 Gbps for a site as large as Jow Forums, maybe more.
wrong. especially wrong if you were connected to a large ixp, such as ams-ix, which is what you could actually get with $5000, retard.
>Also, just for lols my AWS pricing was accurate too
sure, your guess of what this site uses might be accurate, but you're just guessing. none of us know exactly how Jow Forums is set up.

>sure, your guess of what this site uses might be accurate, but you're just guessing. none of us know exactly how Jow Forums is set up.
It's not a guess, moot actually came out and said it used 3 PB before he left.

>wrong. especially wrong if you were connected to a large ixp, such as ams-ix, which is what you could actually get with $5000, retard.
$5,000 is only enough to get you 10 Gbps of outbound transit in that type of arrange, no more, and that's flat out not enough.

>how convienent of you to skip the last half of the sentence, you absolute faggot.
What, about server cost? That's not adding a lot to the bill, I just didn't feel like I should leave it unmentioned. Not every colo is going to give you servers as part of the package. I was more concerned about the cost of Cloudflare Enterprise, since I have no idea how much they bill for a site this large. Since they're handling the CDN here that's the main cost of the whole thing.

One word: Flanfly
/thread

I think you meant to just say "neural networks". There's no need for adversarial training to get past shitty text captcha.

>It's not a guess, moot actually came out and said it used 3 PB before he left.
sure, but you don't know each and every service Jow Forums uses. you're just assuming.
>$5,000 is only enough to get you 10 Gbps of outbound transit in that type of arrange, no more, and that's flat out not enough.
a 10 gbps connection that goes through an ixp is enough.
>What, about server cost? That's not adding a lot to the bill, I just didn't feel like I should leave it unmentioned.
servers are cheap, especially when renting. i don't know how many servers Jow Forums uses though, and i don't care to guess.

>Heck, they let you post for like a day worth of posts per captcha
What?

What kind of captcha are you getting user and how do I get in on it?

Those are too trivial, I've literally written bots that use OCR to solve these captchas, without needing to know jack.

Recaptcha makes it nearly impossible to automate, you'd have to be some genius to come up with a solution, and it's obviously slow as molasses.

You could do it using ML easily if you had the datasets that they themselves are using recaptcha to build.

>newfag

Let me tell you about the days of yore back in 2006-2007 when the boards barely had any captcha and bots went rampant posting malicious images and telling users to then execute the images as scripts, which of course the people that now frequent Jow Forums did so joyfully and caused the malicious script now running on their computer to flood Jow Forums with even more crap. There were days of just constant hta image posts. It was obscene.

Attached: 1505747358264.jpg (321x460, 49K)

Back in the good old days.

Buy a Jow Forums pass today,
Kys tomorrow

You don't /thread your own post faggot

I miss cornelia

captcha is here to prevent russian bots from ruining the site
)))))))))))

Attached: 1530000225287.jpg (474x751, 44K)

thanks op I cum on cat she hiss at penis

Being this much of a salty faggot about being too retarded to see a picture

It's almost laughable that recaptcha, mods, and jannies can't do shit against the autism of an angry furfag.

just enable point-based system so the users themselves can downvote spam like it works on reddit

CAPTCHA has been one of the best business decisions for Google.
You get data of numerous consumers and train your neural networks by using infinite monkeys without paying a cent.
Their next CAPTCHA should incorporate ads, making the money-sucking AdSense iirelevant.

>Their next CAPTCHA should incorporate ads
pretty sure they already did that for a while

Attached: advertisement.jpg (525x527, 59K)

>racist antisemite nazi
Wow. You must be the edgiest kid in your entire class.

call me a retard but how does captcha prevent spam? couldn't you just use the very same image classification tools that the captcha tries to teach to solve the captcha?

>he didn't read the thread
there are solutions other than defaulting everyone to recaptcha.

recaptcha hasn't been broken yet, and by the time it does, google will have implemented recaptcha 3.0 or whatever.

What problem can they make that humans can solve but deep learning can't?

this so much
putin bots is everywhere))))))))

people use recaptcha because googled host it so it doesn't use server resources. If people use other forms of captcha they have to host it on their own servers desu

Attached: 1345468585057.png (378x101, 13K)

>recaptcha protects us from spam and bots

Friendly reminder it costs something like $2 to have 1000 recaptchas solved manually in real time by a bunch of Indians hidden behind a nice API you can integrate your bot with.