/sm/ - Software Minimalism

For discussing software minimalism.

>What is computing minimalism?
linfo.org/unix_philosophy.html
suckless.org/philosophy/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_philosophy
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimalism_(computing)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_bloat

>Why software minimalism?
- Fewer bugs
- Better and faster performance
- Lower memory footprint
- Better maintainability
- Higher scalability
- Longer software lifetime
- Smaller attack surface

>List of minimal OSes and distros
>Obscure minimal
Plan 9, FreeDOS, Minix3, Genode
>Meme minimal
Crux, Void, GuixSD, FreeBSD, SourceMage
>Autistic minimal
Gentoo, Alpine, OpenBSD, LFS
>Most sane minimal
Debian (netinst)

>Minimal base Programs
>WM (window manager)
dwm or i3
>Web browsers
Firefox Quantum or any of the popular text based web browsers (w3m, links)
hooktube.com/watch?v=cNr-nobIjks (Terminal-based Web Browsing with w3m)
>File Manager
Terminal (cp, ls, cd, mv)
>Video/Music player
mpv or cmus
>Text editors
GNU nano or Vim
>Image viewer
FEH or sxiv
>Shells
mksh or dash
>Terminal
st (simple terminal)

>Useful links
Suckless: suckless.org/rocks
Cat-v.org: harmful.cat-v.org/software/
Window Managers: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_X_window_managers
Without Systemd: without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd
Alternatives to Bloatware: github.com/mayfrost/guides/blob/master/ALTERNATIVES.md

>Website development
werc.cat-v.org/
learnbchs.org/
motherfuckingwebsite.com/
idlewords.com/talks/website_obesity.htm

Minimalism is not a lack of something. It's simply the perfect amount of something.

Attached: hotcunt.jpg (1080x1350, 129K)

Other urls found in this thread:

hinduwebsite.com/hinduism/essays/maya.asp
debian.org/releases/
wiki.debian.org/DebianReleases
wiki.debian.org/SourcesList
learnbchs.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Oh boy it's systemd hate time again
BTW Debian is not minimal.

If you use WI-FI, you are a zoomer/boomer sheep

Just spun up the community edition of Manjaro KDE Minimal.
>500 packages, comfy.
I think that's less than vanilla Arch at the moment.

Attached: 1535028174002.jpg (499x499, 41K)

It's not. I had an Arch build with 488 packages on my laptop with 2 DEs, imagemagick, java and an IDE last year. I had to switch to Debian for work though.

dats a dude

>I had to switch to Debian for work though.
>tfw your work cucks you
Why?

I need this thread, thanks op. Im a noob but my goal with Linux aside from some programming is to end up with a very minimal system.

>tfw you finally realize ublock origin is the only necessary extension

no it's not you autistic fuck

I have lived in Berkeley CA and I see hoes like this everywhere.

I dated a hotcunt jewish girl and I regret it

>dead eyes
la creatura

Jow Forums
>Just assumes every hot girl is a tranny, because fell for 'the trap' too many times.

#RiceBR

10GbE will never be mainstream. Eventually ethernet will be removed from mobos and become dongle only.

This, probably even faster in the shit countries because it will be cheaper infrastructure.

>Firefox is minimal
Every time I see this it reminds me that you all don't have a single clear definition of what minimal is, and is the reason I don't visit these threads more.

Either minimal is an absolute and each piece of software is itself minimal or not-minimal based on its own code design, in which case Firefox is absolutely not minimal.
Or minimal means "a system that minimally meets all of my needs" in which case Firefox is acceptable, but so too is a LOT of other stuff that I know you all would never want to accept as minimal.

Make up your minds which definition you prefer, or keep roleplaying.
There is no middle ground.

>this
Fuck you autistic losers

This one has bugged me too, I quit FF because of sluggishness when I was on a shit system. The only FF I MIGHT consider is that privacy focused one that doesn't seem to save anything, forget what its called.

Tor?

setting your dns to 9.9.9.9 takes care of most web related problems. you HAVE set your dns to quad9, right user?

recommendations for distros that work ootb?
1 vote for bunsenlabs from me. just uninstall the login manager; fuck login managers

Are they really trustworthy? More so than 1.1.1.1?

can you recommend a more minimal distro that has an actual installer?

Personally I recommend Manjaro, it's quick to get up and running, easy to use, looks nice, not too bloaty unless you're a mega fag who refuses to have more than 3 packages installed

your goal should be 40MB RAM use with a functioning GUI, because that is easy to do

>wanting an installer
What are you fucking gay? Install Gentoo

i dont care what definition of minimal you go by, there is no way firefox fits the definition.

OP, please remove ff
Also, why list OpenBSD but not NetBSD?

>actual installer?
You don't need one.

Gentoo sounds to arcane for a noob and the memes just make it seem overly complex. Why is Jow Forums the board with the least visual material in terms of infographics and memes and shit? Other boards can get their ideas across quite simply but not here or maybe its just the use of wms and text browsers?

>manjaro
>kde
>comfy

please go to back
we don't want retards using fork distros

Exactly. I think this is the thought process behind including Firefox in the list
>I want to be minimal and will do whatever it takes
>I HAVE to have a bloated browser like firefox for certain sites
>Because I really want to be minimal, and I have to have firefox that means firefox must be minimal

But it's better to strive for something you don't have, and be honest with yourself than it is to pretend you have something you don't.
I use Firefox myself, but I would much rather always remember that FF is bloat and that I should never stop looking for ways to reduce my dependence on it, than to fool myself into thinking I'm minimal by drawing a really awkward line around "minimal" software that includes firefox.
Furthermore, what kind of message is it sending others? Especially would-be developers. Do you all really want to teach people that Firefox is an acceptable standard for minimalism?

No we're just too autistic to communicate properly..

Firefox is minimal, minimal enough for the bloated web. If you know something that is stable, has ublock origin and loads youtube smoothly, let me know.

Instead of circle jerking, how about providing a better alternative. You fags are insufferable

Please read this: You're making exactly that mistake.
Just listen to your own words, you clearly are saying "I don't care how bloated it is, I need it, and the web is bloated, therefore I'm defining it as minimal". That is literally your logic.

There is nothing wrong with admiting that you have 1 piece of bloated software on your machine user, you don't have to pretend you're 100% minimal at the cost of warping your definition of minimalism.

its the ublock origin addiction for most. I get it but there are other ways guys.

Why do you think the lack of an alternative defines FF to be minimal? That kind of thinking is the 2nd definition here

It doesn't matter. Whether there is an alternative or not shouldn't define what is and what isn't minimal.

If there was only 1 text editor on earth and it required 70GB of ram to run would you call it minimal just because there's no alternative?

I agree with you but like stated earilier minimal is either a matter of form or function. I was just saying I really think the hang up for most is that ublock origin is very simple and they are very lazy.

I use firefox with dwm and it uses like 700mib
idk why you call it bloat lmaoooo, not even using a full gigabyte of ram

*labs are always nice
ArchLabs, instead of including a fuckton of random software by default, runs a welcome script to let you choose what you want

>and they are very lazy.
hosts file is ghey

Alright then so your definition of minimalism if RAM based? Please give me a number that you want to define as the cutoff.

>Make up your minds which definition you prefer, or keep roleplaying.

maybe you overthink it. Everyone needs and wants are different, don't derail this thread. I'm getting that vibe from you faggot. I know what your intentions are.

some programs are minimal, some programs aren't. Like the window manager i use is dwm. But my web browser is firefox (kinda bloated). But the terminal i use is st (pretty fucking minimal).

if you really really want to get minimal, just use the bare kernel nigger faggot, or don't use xorg. Stop derailing the thread. i know what you are doing, i'm not stupid nigger

No you don't know what my intentions are.
Because I'd be fine with just letting it go, but then I see other people in these threads who will run other users out of town for using something they consider bloat even though it probably uses 1/10th the ram of firefox

I used to actually just take the really chill position. The 2nd definition I gave where "minimal" is just defined relative to each individuals needs and holy shit you cannot imagine how much crap people would throw at me for making that claim.

welcome brother

every single fucking program listed there is minimal.
It's just firefox you are sooo fucking butthurt about. It's just firefox. That's it. holy fucking shit. Then you want me to define minimalism. Then this, then that, then i have to explain to you why this is minimal, why that's minimal, why that's bloated, why this isn't bloated etc etc etc etc etc.

How safe is Debian netinstall if I dont have access to a land line?

checked. and yeah, the only extensions i use is ublock origin and umatrix.

I was able to browse the web using netscape communicator on a computer with a WHOPPING 160MB RAM. I am fairly certain I could have only had 64MB RAM and still browsed the web just fine. Mayb even 32MB

700MB is a fuckton of RAM, you dumb fuck

There are actual minimal web browsers that exist. firefox is literally one of the most bloated web browsers

I already know what your definition of minimal is.

When someone comes here and says "I need this" you act like an elitist fuckwad and tell them to GTFO because it's bloat and you don't give a shit whether they need it or not

But when it comes to FF you look the other way because YOU need it. You're a hypocrite.
All I'm asking you for is a single definition of software minimalism.
Why are you so afraid of not being 100% minimal? Because you want to roleplay as an authority here, so whatever you need is defined as minimal.

>Instead of circle jerking, how about providing a better alternative.
no, it is not our responsibility to find you an aternative. none of this changes the fact that firefox is NOT minimal

What are some minimal web browsers that support images, are actively maintained and have an adblocker? Preferably one with a decent engine too.

Qutebrowser, Lynx, w3m.

>Firefox is minimal, minimal enough for the bloated web

>A piece of software that runs bloated standards is minimal
HOlY fucknig shit it doesn't get more biased than this.
This fucking says it all right here.

You all literally claim the web is bloated but then a piece of software that can run web apps is minimal?
Tell me I'm fucking dreaming

Attached: 1375161363447.jpg (320x179, 6K)

What about adding NetBSD in the meme or obscure minimal tier?

Attached: 1537274752733.jpg (960x960, 60K)

>>Most sane minimal
>Debian (netinst)

GTFO with that bullshit

>Gentoo
>minimal
Literally the most bloated distro you can possibly get.

You can always tell when some faggot is larping as a Linux enthusiast because he doesn't know shit.

OP is either an autistic moron or a genius at trolling.

>Tell me I'm fucking dreaming
>fucking dreaming
hinduwebsite.com/hinduism/essays/maya.asp

Attached: matrix.jpg (310x163, 15K)

firefox is minimal you virgins

Attached: IMG_20180910_131700.jpg (2448x3264, 2.11M)

Attached: 1536818794803.jpg (252x249, 22K)

Whatever you say Chad, just don't hit me again

Whatever faggot I'm ripped and use Gentoo and say Firefox is a bloated pile of SJW shit.

surf is fucking hilarious when you think of it.

>bloated pile of SJW shit.
thats your mom tho

kek

This thread is autism.

ur mom, faggit.

>shaving your chest
Stop this.

Attached: 1537255388762.jpg (613x587, 11K)

Nah, its what people like.

Missed opportunity, should've gone with /msg/ or /smg/

i don't understand your question, and neither does anyone else

>gentoo is bloated
who says this?

Yeah, faggots.

Some good links for new debian users who installed netiso

debian.org/releases/
wiki.debian.org/DebianReleases
wiki.debian.org/SourcesList

I think he means "will slow/unstable internet might result in a botched install?"

Ive always heard to use ethernet for this but I only have mobile connection due to being innawoods.

/bin /cat

god i want that big bloated white cock in my minimal white pussi daddy, yaaa!!!

Literally anyone that isn't a total fucking retard. There is quite literally no reason for considering Gentoo minimal for even a split second. It is entirely incapable of being minimal.

lol faggot

0/10

Build a "minimal" invironment on Gentoo and it will 100% of the time be larger than any other mainstream distribution, ubuntu arch fedora suse etc. I'm honestly curious why you think Gentoo is minimalist beyond meme tier shit like useflags.

bloatoo

you can debloat the kernel

Larger than ubuntu?
You're trolling me so hard right now

Minimal in terms of performance, not storage. Storage is cheap and plentiful

Are you fucking retarded?

Pic related, this is just the package manager.
>In terms of performance
That doesn't make any sense, minimalist performance? What the fuck lmao.

Attached: youbestbejokingnigger.png (960x354, 70K)

are you a virgin?
why are you into anime?

*uninstalls benis*
Wasn't using that anyways...

So your problem is with compiling from source in general it seems

Not at all, I wouldn't use Gentoo if that was a problem.

I'm just saying that your a fucking moron for saying Gentoo is minimal because it isn't.

And running binaries that are compiled with components that you don't need or use is minimalism?
But I can tell from your language that you just want to be an authority. People usually escalate to calling people retards when they want to make the gap between them and their opponent seem wider than it really is.

You aren't my opponent.
You are just saying stupid shit and I'm pointing it out.

You can uninstall a bunch of shit on Arch too and it will be infinitely more minimal than Gentoo.

You honestly think Gentoo is minimal because you can choose to link a library static instead of dynamically? That makes it more bloated you fucking tool.

Gentoo has more customization and that equals waaaay more bloat. You want to use like 10 compilers at the same time and run some program without GTK support? Gentoo can do that. You want a minimal environment? LOLNOPE.

>learnbchs.org/
Based

Attached: rkpepe.jpg (420x420, 36K)

You don't have my consent to speak to me like that.