/pcbg/ - PC Building General - 386 edition

>Create a parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Learn how to build a PC
Search youtube for a guide for your socket

Want help?
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses; eg Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose and graphics card pairing.
>Don't use Speccy. Use HWinfo, SIV, etc.
>For Win7 in Ryzen, refer to pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1 (embed)

CPU
>R3 2200G - Bare minimum gaming(dGPU optional)
>R5 2400G/i5-8400 - Consider IF on sale
>R5 2600/X - Good gaming & multithreaded work use CPUs
>Wait for 9700k - Almost surely best for 1080p gaming
>R7 2700/X - Best high-end gaming/mixed usage on a non-HEDT platform
>Threadripper/Used Xeon - HEDT

RAM
>8GB - Enough for most gaming use
>16GB - Standard for heavy use
>32GB - If you have to ask, you don't need this
>CPUs benefit from fast RAM; 2933MHz+ is ideal

Graphics cards
>RTX 2000 cards are worse performance per $ than current GPUs. Just a marketing gimmick to rip off idiots
>Avoid cheap MODELS ie MSI Armor (Mk2 is ok), Gigabyte G1/Wf, ASUS dual, and others which have small heatsinks and low quality fans
1080p
>RX 570/580 /w Freesync or 1060 6GB are standard 1080p 60fps+ options
>1050 3Gb or RX560 for lower settings and/or older games
>GTX 1070Ti/Vega 56 if seeking higher FPS /w a high hz monitor
1440p
>Vega 56; 1070Ti/1080 if you already have Gsync
>GTX 1080Ti if seeking higher FPS /w a high hz monitor
>Upscale from 1620-1800p. Maybe 2080Ti, but awful value.
OpenCL work
>Vega 64

Storage
>Backup before using StoreMi
>Consider getting a larger SSD (better GB/$) instead of small SSD & large HDD
>2TB HDDs are barely more $ than 1TB
>M.2 is a form factor, NOT a performance standard
>NVMe are not for gaming; See "More"

Display
>Consider 75hz minimum; 60hz are mostly old models.
>Always consider FreeSync with AMD cards
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING

Previous thread
More
rentry.co/pcbg-more

Attached: 386.jpg (1000x913, 304K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/ZT6gq4
pcpartpicker.com/list/
palit.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

How accurate is hwinfo? It always shows lower voltage than those i have set in wattman.

Why no love for the 1050ti?

I use the hell out of the low profile ones. Stick them in desktop or sff OptiPlex and Precisions all day long. Currently using one as my primary PC. Runs 3 Dell 24" LCD's (1920x1200) and plays Blizzard and Steam games fine.

(Precision T1700 SFF / i7 4770 / 32GB RAM / 500GB SSD / GTX 1050ti)

first draft. i really have no idea what im doing especially when it comes to psu, mobo, case, fans. any glaring faults?

general gaming pc.

thoughts on Intel Core i7-8700K vs i7-7700K?

Attached: build.png (1027x765, 71K)

Show me a better resolution

Attached: Screenshot_2018-10-06-09-52-16.png (219x67, 3K)

1:1 is objectively the best.

What card are you using? Which voltages have you set?

Looking to upgrade soon, I was thinking maybe getting a GTX 1080/1080Ti or just settle for a 1060.
Should I stick to Intel or switch to Ryzen?
Should I upgrade RAM as well?
Haven't even thought of upgrading mobo.

Attached: Capture.png (638x574, 68K)

Main use would be gaming by the way

I'd like to build a desktop that respects muh freedumz. Any good recourses? I have no experience in building a pc

>386 edition
who remembers when normies didnt use computers or even think about building one themselves? normies get out reeeeeeeee

Attached: REEEEEEEE.jpg (500x500, 36K)

Look at how it works and what you need. Only then ask us for advices.

1060 is already quite the upgrade. You don't have to upgrade the CPU.
If you decide to go full gucci and go for a 1080(ti) you will need to upgrade to a 6600/7600/8400.

Best places to buy used hardware?

I'm in EU.

Amazon, Ebay, Reddit comes to mind, what else and which ones are the best.

Share your experiences.

Attached: 1538546987511.png (497x579, 256K)

You could try reddit and stay there.

All the new ones I see online are $200 and that's a terrible price for that card.

amazon warehouse is probably your best bet
just don't buy things like gpus if you want to OC them because they're usually returns from people who tried and got bad results

>anti-reddit post
It's like it's 2013 all over again.

epic

vega 56 I set it to 1040mv and it shows between 990 to 1000mv. When I set it higher it goes higher same if I set it lower but always stays about 40-50mv less.

rare amazing Jow Forums post, this is why I love this place xD

That 850 Evo is pants-on-head retarded. Get a NVMe 960 Evo as a boot drive, a second SSD for games, and maybe a 1tb HDD for other media.

If you're only using it for gaming and general PC purposes, you could drop down to an 8600k (8400 if you don't want to overclock, and then you could save money on the mobo and use the stock cooler if you want). 6-cores is more than enough for any current, old, or future game for a few years if not longer.

You could save a little cash and get a 1070 (should be solid for 1080p144fps) or splurge on a 1080 for more solid purpose and future proofing.

> nvmeme for boot drive
A-user I...

Get 8gb more RAM and get a 1060 6gb. You can definitely hold out a little while longer unless you've got a lot of disposable income and really wanna spend it.

Reddit and whatever sites you have like Craigslist. I got a Dell Precision T1650 with an E3 1220v2 for $50 and a 2tb WD Blue for $35 doing exactly that last week.

this

Which voltages did you set? VCORE, VDDC, ?

pcpartpicker.com/list/ZT6gq4
1440p 144 Hz, I'm not AMDfag (got 7700k and 1080ti) but if you do go down this route I'd honestly suggest switching to Ryzen 2700x, it's only 3% slower on 1440p.

Vcore, you can't change memory voltage on 56 bios.

Wew, some unbiased comment on my pcbg?!

Wait for 9700k It's gonna be much better. Intel's ht is retarded and actually makes single core performance worse.

What BIOS version do you have?

What a dumb question.
>Why no love for the 1050ti?
Because they cost as much as 4Gb RX580 despite the RX580 getting about 60% higher FPS.

Literally the only reason to use them is if you're limited to PCIe slot power only, which few people are.

>giant e-peen faggot case which will be 90% empty space
>$134 for a 500Gb SSD
>THREE PLUS THREE PHASE MOTHERBOARD which can't even overclock a 4 core 8350k, stuffed with an 8700k
Ask your wife's boyfriend to do this for you. You're too inept to do it yourself.
Certainly better, though I'd get an IPS/AHVA monitor. But I'd also not get a 144hz IPS/AHVA monitor without *sync

2600 an RX580 would be cheap and a big upgrade.

No idea tbf, the basic one I guess. Never updated bios on my gpu.

I need help with a build I have no idea what I'm doing on the hardware side, first build. I'm looking to build a workstation for prototyping software mostly. I don't care about overclocking, and really don't want to do anything that would require more finesse like water cooling.

>Budget
2-3k This would take the place of an i9 MacBook Pro.

>Uses
Mainly prototyping software development and lots of etl data processing that is written to utilize all cores. The workloads are memory intensive, hence the large ram config. I would estimate like 25% of the time it will use for hacking on ML models.

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-10-06 at 7.38.39 AM.png (2384x1482, 431K)

Because it's overpriced as fuck. The 580 is a way better card and i can get the 4gb model for the same price or the 8gb model for $30 more.

I finally narrowed down my possible screen for a new PC to
>28'' X 3840 x 2160 X 60 Hz
>27'' X 2560 x 1440 X 144 Hz
Assuming price, panel type, response time, contrasts, brightness, everything else is the same, which one is better. 1'' wont make that much of a difirince to me so the question is higher res at lower freq, or lower res at higher freq? for 50:50 gaming and programming btw, and I dont have the budget for a 2080 or some shit, will most likely get a 1070 or 1080, maybe *ti.

Sure but those monitors are twice the price.

>27'' X 2560 x 1440 X 144 Hz
is superior in every way shape or form.

Is it worth paying $100 more for a monitor with Gsync or does it not make that much of a difference?

That seems fine, really, assuming you're using Windows. For Linux, an AMD GPU would likely be better. Unless you need CUDA.

Only major issue is that the case is massively oversized.

Depends what's more important for you, programming or gaming, 144 Hz is way more superior for gaming, but 4K would be useful for the extra workspace, either way you can do work on the 144 Hz without issues IMO.

On a high refresh rate monitor? Arguable.
On an ips or va panel it should be mandatory, if you have a TN panel with high refresh rate and the rig to handle it, you don't have to but it still is a good investment.

There's some 4k 144hz Freesync monitors coming out that aren't too terribly prices.
Obviously, not much besides CSGO is going to run at that framerate, but with Freesync that's not an issue.

But as the other user said, 4K can give more workspace, better image, less downscaling of content you're working with, etc. 1440p is simply easier to run, but it's a lot better than 1080p.

If it's only $100 more, must be 1080p. It's not worth buying 1080p Gsync monitors at all, no. If you have a 1070Ti, 1080, or 1080Ti you should using 1440p.

It depends to matter more on IPS/AHVA panels with the lower refresh rate. But I've seen horrible screen tearing on TN panels as well.

looking to upgrade most of my stuff and I'm wondering if there's any reason not to reuse my old dvd drive. I almost never use it but is there any particular downside to reusing it anyway?

No. Unless you wanna go with a blueray drive. It should plug on an internal USB of the mobo.

>2-3k This would take the place of an i9 MacBook Pro.
If I was ready to throw away 2-3k and closer to 3k that would be my choice
pcpartpicker.com/list/
Basically a bit faster ram and better CPU
But yours seems fine.

i just read about the 9700k right after i made my post because im a dumb faggot who did zero research.

does anyone have a premade build based on the 9700k without an 800usd gpu? i dont want a big case either

Ditch the DVD drive if you don't use it, that was what I did. If you eventually need it you can get external for 20 bucks or even connect your old one leaving the case opened (if you boot something that doesn't have current USB driver support)

screensize is the same, its not really going to increase workspace

if you're "programming" id suggest s 32". i use one vertically sometimes and find its pretty neat. however out of those two id go 144hz. even outside of gaming its so smooth. using the shitty 23" 60hz monitors at work is soul crushing by comparison

I'd probably just run Ubunu, but I need TensorFlow and I'm 90% sure that requires a cuda graphics card. Ya, I forgot Nvidia doesn't support linux that well. What kind of issues could I potentially run into with Nvidia on Linux?

yeah but is there any reason why I should ditch it? like would it speed up boot times or something. cause otherwise I can't think of a reason not to reuse it, even if I rarely make use of it

>its not really going to increase workspace

Attached: 2000px-Digital_cinema_formats.svg.png (2000x1178, 76K)

>I'd probably just run Ubunu, but I need TensorFlow and I'm 90% sure that requires a cuda graphics card. Ya, I forgot Nvidia doesn't support linux that well. What kind of issues could I potentially run into with Nvidia on Linux?
wut. i use cuda on arch all the time for opengl and have no issues. it runs faster than on windows so... amd almost all scientific computing is on gnu linux

yeah and youre not accounting for scaling. at 27 inches 1440p is already going to be pushing it, so smaller text is going to be virtually unreadable if youre working on large projects

It doesn't matter if your monitor is so small you have to zoom everything to see it properly.

Yes that's correct. Going 4K under 32" seems like an idiocy.

what's a good, low powered home server? wanting to build or get something that can house 4-5 hdds, used for user-backups and housing movies/animu and on 24/7? currently i've got an old c2d laptop with a usb 2tb drive on it and i know the crash is coming. refurb hardware can keep the price down too

I cant keep use ddr4 1x8

But buying now a new pair on ram will only be a extremely lose

The logic is you remove things you don't use and also you can buy a case w/o 5.25 room (for me the solid front panel looks nicer but that is opinionated)
No there is no downside or possible slowdown I can think of. Continue with it if you wish.

Vega 64, or a 1080 for a 1440p*144hp screen with freesync? i guess the vega? but ive always had nvidea cards.

With freesync? Vega. But honestly the 1080 is more power efficient.

Ya probably the support issues come from something outside the CUDA stack, like vulcan or something.

IS there any alternative to cuda for amd, or am I stuck with Nvidia if i need to run tensorflow?

is i5 8400 the best thing I can get if I don' want to OC,will last years and will be enough for 1080p? What would also be the best motherboard for it?

vega 56

Buy 2700x now or wait for Zen 2. I'm running 2600k for now which is fine performance wise but want to change due to intel security vulnerabilities.

corelet

Your proc shouldn't be a measure for graphics. A 2500k can run 1080p fine. It's the GPU you should be worried about. And yes, it's either the 8400 or the ryzen 2600x if you don't want to OC as a long lasting CPU.

>vega 56
its worse and costs the same though.

>Intel's ht is retarded and actually makes single core performance worse.
Never thought of putting it that way, but that's actually true. Huh.

TensorFlow supports AMD. AMD is right on their website. But I'm not sure of the current state of ROCm for AMD. It was pretty atrocious a year ago, though has had a lot of updates.

Nvidia will be fine on Linux for general desktop usage and CUDA, anyway. It'd just be a problem if you wanted to do KVM passthrough.

Vega 56.
It's not worse for gaming and it's not the same cost. You can get Vega56 for $380.

If you can wait, which you probably still can with a 2600k, then wait for the 3600X/3700X.

2600 generally is the best, given the 8400s price and that you're getting more threads for background shit.

clock for clock it's literally the same as 64 and it's cheaper than 1070, but if you live in some magical place that 64 is cheaper then go for 64.

>IS there any alternative to cuda for amd, or am I stuck with Nvidia if i need to run tensorflow?

Nope, if you need TensorFlow you have two choices I guess: Nvidia GPU or use CPU version of TensorFlow.

>then wait for the 3600X/3700X.
When are those coming out? If they are 1+year away, then I don't want to wait that long.

Likely Q1 or Q2 of 2019.

2019 Q3 is the most realistic time.

Buy 9900k

athlon 200ge with w/e would make a good start. maybe a mitx nas case

Anyone know anything about palit graphic cards?
palit.com/

Ive never heard of them and just saw some in the shop, its a lot cheaper than the other brands.

I think I'm gonna go with 2700x for now then and upgrade to zen2 if they are worthwhile.

Why not save money and get the 2600/X? It's twice the performance of the 2600k as is.
That'd be like $150 saved toward upgrading later.

Also kinda worth waiting to see if X570/B550 has new features.

>live with average build (bought it when it was considered top tier)
>780ti/8gb/i7-2600k
>this has lasted me from then until now
>wanna play all the new fun cool games like forza and escape from tarkov
>can’t play these games to my satisfactory with my build
>decide to build something on pcpartpicker
>1080ti/32gb ddr4/i7-6700k
>over 2k

I haven’t built a PC in a very long time, clearly

Attached: CD079803-4AF5-41C1-A861-562C2EF29161.jpg (171x178, 6K)

Just overclock your CPU and GPU and get an extra 8gb of ram and overclock that too, to at least 2133mhz.

Best AMD GPU for under or around $300?

Fuck this

When the black Friday will come I will try to get a ddr4 16GB

The price will never get lower at this point

rx 580

>AG241QX 1440p
>G2460PF 1080p
More or less the same freesync screen(range 30-144 in DP) on a TN panel. The AG2460PF has 50000000:1 contrast while the other has 80000000:1 contrast. Same dot pitch and luminosity.
I am a brainlet when it comes to screens, can anyone give insight?

Dude just do 32gb. Seriously. Think long-term, if you’re gonna drop money go big

Asus ROG Swift PG279Q 27" LED LCD Gaming Monitor QHD G-Sync 165Hz Speaker DP IPS.
Whats wrong with this pos?

One has a higher resolution than the other.

>gsync
>ips
>asus

I’ve been doing that for a while, and have my stuff overclocked as much as it can be before my shit bluescreens. Streaming culture becoming popular and them coincidentally having these god tier rigs makes it so I want my games to look like that, but they don’t. So I want a god tier build. I guess just.....one more shift........haha....................

How the hell do you make sense of all the versions of cards?

Attached: 1519769016251.png (527x675, 39K)

Get a 2600(x)/2700(x) for streaming. Then the graphics card is up to you. 1060 6gb/rx580 8gb will leave you with a good start.
If you want to go full autismo and get an expensive card because it looks shiny on some other guy's stream, do it. But it will be expensive.

Best brand for Monitors?

for vega only sapphire, asus strix only if its much cheaper.

>Why not save money and get the 2600/X? It's twice the performance of the 2600k as is.
Because I think 8 core is more future proof. I don't have any problem with money. I will be able to buy 3700x if it gives 25+% boost over 2700x. Otherwise I'll keep 2700x.

>Also kinda worth waiting to see if X570/B550 has new features.
What new features? I don't think any new useful stuff is coming out any soon.

>I don't have any problem with money
Then just get 9900k

Would you benefit from going with Z390 & 9700k for a new build instead of Z370 & 8700K if you're planning on just using 1080Ti? Would you gain any frames by doing that or is the 8700K already enough for the GPU?

I have money but I don't waste it. I try to buy smart.