Make entire dev environment on windows just to use C and GCC

>make entire dev environment on windows just to use C and GCC
>write game engine using only Vulkan in pure C thinking I'm clever
>Now realise pure C isn't the best fit
>Now have to restart the entire project in C++
Fuck every single fedora-wearing, cheeto-huffing, bathtub-overflowing, diabetes-ridden, beard-growing, incel Manley faggot on this board that made me think C was special.

Attached: 1529517385838m.jpg (1024x576, 68K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pTB0EiLXUC8&start_radio=1&list=RDQMN-2d1o9SQ8U
youtube.com/watch?v=c9Xt6Me3mJ4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>realise pure C isn't the best fit
Why?
If you cannot answer this, then you're a retarded dildo-sucking liar.

1. Most documentation/ tutorials/ communities/ books /libraries to do with graphics programming use C++
2. C++ has data structures built in
3. Initialising Vulkan is much more well suited to a class
4. Most modern dev environments (especially for windows) are built around C++ and may only be used for plain C as an afterthought.
5. The difference in performance is dependent upon the precise operation and when performance is absolutely critical, it makes more sense to tweak assembly code

As usual, problem is the spread of windows.

Carmack eventually switched to C++. Follow the Carmack.

>not using Lisp exclusively.
Never gonna make it.

Attached: 1524181687026.png (381x396, 201K)

Isn't that the guy who made framerate dependent games all of his life lol

No oop. Read how much of a bitch hydro thunder was in c where you had to change the state of everything on screen for a simple power up

What about people who write low level things? Why hate? Every language has its use. It's fine to make a mistake and learn that x wasn't the right thing to do, it's a part of learning and being a person don't freak out.

C is not a low-level language. The reason C is used on embedded systems is because of a lack of support for other languages. The reason C is used on operating systems is because there's too much code to rewrite now.

Listen to . Given the opportunity, Carmack switched to C++ when id had to make their new engine.

That's what I meant, I'm running on no sleep my fault. But yes. So you think C++ can totally replace things like that? Imagine if exploit devs abandoned C for C++.
My point is that just calling shit obsolete is a bit inaccurate.

Here's the reasons to use C:
1. It's an introductory language for you
2. You're writing programs for embedded systems that other languages simply don't work on
3. You're maintaining legacy code

I don't believe there is any other reason to use C over C++.

Use FFI for a lot languages but still legacy support.

Hello sir. Can u tell me what makes Vulkan and OpenGL different?

vulkan is more tedious but faster than opengl

C++ fag here. You're going to realize that using C++ as a C with extra features of your choosing is comfiest.

pic is me atm, currently in a place where nobody knows any english

>using c
>for anything ever

its your fault for falling to the faggotry they preach here.be glad at least you didnt bitten the linux bullet.

Attached: 1534865666344.png (1200x1400, 502K)

> intentionally not using unreal
you have only yourself to blame

I don't have experience with OpenGL. I actually jumped head first into Vulkan last year.

Currently, my view so far is that with vulkan you have to control everything - from querying whether certain features are available on the GPU, to managing asynchronous processing of the swapchain with mutexes

Nothing wrong with Linux. Try biting the English bullet.

cant spell faggot without Go

Attached: cpp1.png (322x544, 16K)

>linux
>good

enjoy eating pure shit

>Fuck every single fedora-wearing
Fuck you for following what randoms say on the internet.
game dev is done in C++ for decades now for obvious reasons, it's your fault for being retarded.

exactly.whoever says object-oriented programming is bad just proves he never wrote a big project or code for a company.
youtube.com/watch?v=pTB0EiLXUC8&start_radio=1&list=RDQMN-2d1o9SQ8U

Attached: tiobeapril18.jpg (641x297, 30K)

>tiobeindex

Why don't you link something so I can read it?

Car car = new Car(car);
car = car.car(car.car(car))

FUNCTIONAL POINTERS

C++ is better than C in every aspect and in every field.

Or in newer languages:

let car = Car()

That's actually wrong
t. Computer/network security Master after Electrical & Computer Engineering Major

welcome to Jow Forums c++ is the new thinkpad baby!!

>2. You're writing programs for embedded systems that other languages simply don't work on
with a little effort you can bypass this and it will save a lot of time you'd have wasted writing C instead
related youtube.com/watch?v=c9Xt6Me3mJ4

>let
being this cucked by a language

>p-please let me have an object senpai

>1. Most documentation/ tutorials/ communities/ books /libraries to do with graphics programming use C++
False, they're written nativly in C and then wrapped into C++.
>2. C++ has data structures built in
True as in statement, but you'll make use only of vector/map.
C also has data structures in a form of compiler extensions like hashmap, bit fields etc.
>3. Initialising Vulkan is much more well suited to a class
Debatable.
>4. Most modern dev environments (especially for windows) are built around C++ and may only be used for plain C as an afterthought.
False.
>5. The difference in performance is dependent upon the precise operation and when performance is absolutely critical, it makes more sense to tweak assembly code
Horribly untrue, compiler will optimize your code way better.

C is only sane choice.

Attached: 1497133553859.jpg (319x331, 26K)

>C is "better" because I'm too dumb to think and proprietary IDEs only come with C support

Attached: 1531540618457.png (188x264, 77K)

most 'good C++' is C++ written to model pure C. and to write C++ you introduce bloat in comparison.. give it up guys also stop raping the compiler learn C

Correct, most game dev is done in C++. Why did you think anything else?

You should use the correct tool for each job. C is great if the situation calls for it but game dev is classic C++ territory.

Attached: 1372185705658.jpg (580x630, 119K)

> C++ can't do intrusive pointers

nani?

You.cpp 87GB

4: You want interoperable library code and thus want to rely entirely on the stable C ABIs

So there is a huge time cost when developing your own games, the fact that you're even messing about with C & C++ is a mistake.

Look at established engines with higher level scripting languages, you want to save yourself time not make a super optimized hackfest. Working on a fucking game at the C/C++ level is idiotic unless your team has some serious manpower.

>listen to Jow Forums
>getting convinced by obviously mentally retarded
Seriously, OP, how do you think you didn't have it coming?

grandpa, the 80s is calling and wants their shitty tech and shitty conventions back

No such thing. What you actually get when you write extern C in C++ is the OSs ABI.

Trips are wasted on you.

>messing about
it is "messing around", arrgh

Attached: the-venture-bros-faking-miracles-the-blue-morpho-drinking-on-the-job-1280x800.png (640x400, 261K)

> Too stupid to implement something in one of the most powerful languages in existence.
> "Must be C's fault."

>No such thing.
>SysV and stdcall ABIs aren't stable
What the fuck are you smoking

>What you actually get when you write extern C in C++ is the OSs ABI.
Yes, and then you have to avoid C++ features like function overloading and IIRC also templates to make it possible, and then the only functions that *do* use the system's C ABI is the ones you specify extern "C" on.

The library would automatically compile in less places as well.

they're both common

you never touched vulkan or c in your life
maybe youve done a few hello world programs (like 99% of Jow Forums) but thats it

fuck im tired of this larping board and their shit talking
sagerino all fieldrino im out of here, this board has gone to shit

Amen. Fuck Jow Forums 14 year old thinkpad retards literally the incel equivalent of Supreme box logo wearing fuckboys good luck getting jobs