Home Wi-Fi Setups

As of right now, my home network is fucking shit. It's currently consists of just the all-in-one modem/wifi router/dust collector that has my ISP's name plastered on the side of it. Wi-Fi reception throughout the house and property is spotty as fuck. I want a setup that I can stay connected to inside and outside the house. I live in a roughly 1000 square foot house in the center of a 1 acre lot. Hell I'd be satisfied with it covering half of the lot.

help me obi wan kenobi

Attached: oldfaithful.jpg (1200x800, 64K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Tenda-Nova-Whole-Home-System/dp/B07DFQGP1K
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

get 1-2 wifi routers more and make them repeaters

Is there anything similar to Google wifi without the Google?

All in one's are the bane of network existence.

They start okay then just slowly start having huge issues.

Get an actual modem and router then get extenders that plug into the wall.

Or get Ethernet ports that go through wall poets.

I have a Ubiquiti UAP-AC-LITE that covers all of a 1200 sq ft apartment and then some. You would probably be fine with a single UAP-AC-LR, but if you don't know anything about networking that may not be for you. If that's the case, your best bet is probably using extenders but I hate using extenders because they don't just extend the range of your SSID, they set up a new SSID and they don't hand off to other extenders or your main access point.

Get a bunch of TL-WR841N or TL-WR841ND (20 bucks each), flash them with DD-WRT and setup a mesh/WDS.

I use 4 of these in an old house with thick stone walls and have a good signal with zero packet loss inside and around the house.

someone explain meshed network for me pls

Attached: mesh-network.png (1920x1080, 302K)

you know the answer. ubiquiti edgerouter x sfp and ap ac lite/hd ap's. it really is that simple.

Get your own modem, get a low voltage device and put pfSense on it. Connect that to a network switch and connect a nice AP to the switch.

Attached: Clipboard01.png (3840x1923, 475K)

If you dont mind possibly less bandwidth and slower speeds try 802.11b or 802.11a for more robust long range coverage.

Also put your wifi on a channel that isnt occupied or has the least other routers on it.

amazon.com/Tenda-Nova-Whole-Home-System/dp/B07DFQGP1K
Just got this the other day. Very pleased, 100USD for 3 pack mesh system. You can also add more nodes if needed. Transparent roaming and 5g steering is really nice

The Apple airports while overpriced are surprisingly good

Thanks for reminding me to do a scan. It's changed since I last ran it.

Attached: Clipboard02.png (779x1834, 107K)

I just installed an ubiquiti UAP-AC-PRO, time to shit all over my neighbor's wifi.

Now the only problem is the faggot ISP won't let me turn off the wireless on the gay ass router they gave me.

I already have another machine I can use as a router, but I don't own a monitor so I can't set it up with pfSense and SSH keys until I get to work

I tried to wrap their gay ass router with tin foil, but it didn't do anything to the signal.
Either the problem is that my tin foil isn't grounded (fuck doing that shit), or I'm just not using enough of it.

Auto mesh networks are typically shit if you live anywhere with neighbors that might also have a mesh network. They do stupid channel hopping shit. Some of them do stupid tx power shit.
I recommend, especially at a sub novice level, that you just use a traditional simple repeater.

ubiquiti APs automatically detect the best channel using typically better algorithms than consumer crap

lads whats a good gigabit router?
I'll be using it for regular WAN->WiFi and for a NAS, so i need something somewhat solid that can hold the advertised numbers

wifi range and client count are mostly irrelevant, i imagone i'll be in the same room or one over

budget is $200, flexible

It was using ch 9 when it had the least interference at the time. But I had to manually change it to 10 which currently looks better.

How do I get my 2.4ghz band to stop fucking with my Bluetooth devices?

Try switching the channel and/or channel width or use 5Ghz.

Don't listen to these scrubs. Mesh and repeaters are crap you settle for when you can't use a real access point. Get an ubiquti AP. You can put it anywhere you can run an ethenet cable.

How botnet is Google Wifi?

consider your data as their own

A Ubiquiti Edgerouter Lite is ~$100 and will do gigabit full duplex. Edgerouter X is ~$50 but I think it only does gigabit half duplex, I could be wrong though.

Get couple of access points, and you're set.

Stay away from the Ubiquiti trash, you'll undoubtedly get few hipsters on this thread who will regurgitate brand names they read on Arstechnica/Reddit.

And for WiFi add a UAP-AC-LITE or UAP-AC-PRO. The lite is ~$80 and the pro is ~$130. The lite will do nearly gigabit under ideal conditions with 802.11ac, the pro can exceed a gigabit with 802.11ac.

Get higher gain antennas with SMA connectors that fit on your WiFi adapter. You can run low loss cable throughout your place and even attach them outside. Repeaters might be necessary.

This is the dumbest thing I have seen written today.

Confirmed brainlet

Without spending hundreds or thousands more on Cisco/Juniper/Meraki equipment brands like Ubiquiti and Mikrotik are the best options. Hell, I've personally dealt with many different access points as I manage SMB networks professionally, and Ubiquiti is better than some enterprise access points (SonicPoints are trash). I would say they're about equal in terms of performance and reliability as Aruba, with the only drawback being that they can't run their own web interface.

Nice koolaid you drank there.

Go be a brainlet somewhere else. I have actual experience with everything from shit tier Netgear range extenders to Cisco enterprise APs, and Ubiquiti is good shit.

Anyone tried a Turris Omnia?

edgerouter 6p is the best cheap one.
plenty of ports, cavium based, 3.4mil pps, poe, usb and sfp

i literally get better speed out of a $80 ac lite than a $400 ruckus ap we use at work. merakis and arubas have more config depth but for alot more $$$$

Where the fuck do you work to be using ruckus aps boi

thanks, I'll look into those

Juniper doesn't make wifi stuff. Even their partnership with Ruckus is pretty much dead.

This.

Mikrotik makes excellent, powerful routers too for that matter. If you live in a home mesh networks are the way to go. If you live in an apartment or the likes consider getting a mikrotik ac or the likes.

Attached: 1538867467256.jpg (540x467, 49K)

Tell me why I should setup any of this other shit over a simple modem + router.

hoping I can hijack this thread a little bit

i've used powerline adapters for years because of the awful wifi reception my room gets.

my parents have upgraded the wifi package and a new wireless AC router is coming tomorrow.

If i get one of these wireless extenders and connect my network (i have a small wired network so i can have gigabit file transfer between the computers) to the main router with that, will I improve the speed or will I need to place another one at a mid point between the router and my room?

Attached: 71TJxOhxpzL._SL1500_.jpg (884x1500, 71K)

i should add that the powerline adapters constantly drop out so i can be arsed to use them anymore.

all you need to do is get a good router that you can flash tomato or dd-wrt on. you can adjust the radio settings for best performance

wifi is shit stop being a poor cunt and thinking of spending 1000$ on wifi/router shit.

when your out of range or signal is poor turn off wifi and use 4g its not hard.

use 4g you dumb ass.

or you know build a fucking 2000$ transmitter in your house because your scared of wasting 4g data and going 10$ over once or twice a year.

I live in a concrete+steel+glass house, will mesh routers work or am I fucked unless I go full ethernet?

this

guys, this guy is Australian. This is something we live with everyday.

6p is more than overkill for me i feel

How about living in Canada where there's a telecom monopoly and no unlimited data plans and data costs a metric fuckload

Which app is that?

Attached: 20151103_000556.png (1600x2414, 495K)

Not everything is an app yet. That's from the management interface of Unifi accesspoints.

Because you're into technology and networking and want more useful features and better performance?

>buy your own modem
>buy your own router
>buy some repeaters
>Problem solved??