/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Search: qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.
*Many free software projects have an active bugzilla where you can check and report errors.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous thread:

Attached: 1538855531393.jpg (400x300, 35K)

Other urls found in this thread:

patents.google.com/patent/US5845077A/en
howtogeek.com/183766/why-microsoft-makes-5-to-15-from-every-android-device-sold/
zdnet.com/article/310-microsoft-patents-used-in-android-licensing-agreements-revealed-by-chinese-gov/
zdnet.com/article/salesforce-pays-microsoft-to-settle-patent-infringement-suit/
ask.sagemath.org/question/34416/importerror-no-module-named-sage/
archlinux.org/groups/x86_64/base-devel/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>that's not what i said
This is what you said
>we could easily fix it but we won't
Arch isnt going to fix something that UPSTREAM needs to fix.

Reposting from last thread:
>If Arch is the best rolling-release distro then what would be the second best?

The one I'm using is obviously even better than Arch.

how do launchers like dmenu launch things? When I type polybar bar into urxvt closing it kills the bar as well, typing the same into dmenu launches bar, dmenu is gone, how does it launch it and what does it do to disappear but keep bar alive?

Gentoo but technically you have to select a profile and the "testing" will be equivalent.
Delian Sid is a candidate too.

Gentoo, only because it's source based and sometimes i don want to lock my system in to compiling for multiple days for a minor feature bump only to then recompile it 3 days later with a minor feature bump

polybar bar &

if I type this into urxvt and close the window it still kills the bar

polybar bar & disown

I moved from Mint Cinnamon to Kubuntu, and I am disappointed.
Kubuntu came with a metric shit ton of bloatware and I can’t configure anything to debotnet it like you could with standard Ubuntu. I didn’t want to just use straighup Ubuntu because of its resemblance to an iMac.

The original entire reason I migrated was because Mint was shit at running anything involving or related to WINE. Call me a gaymer underage faggot if you want, but I just wanted to get Project64 for Nintendo64 emulation running. Ubuntu seemed very promising with its ability to run WINE and Project64 from what I had seen on forums and while doing research, but I figured the KDE environment looked nice.

ANYWAYS, sorry about the rant.
I hate Kubuntu, I am just not satisfied with it and I’m one of the fucks that’s into GNU/Linux for avoiding the botnet. What is a better alternative?
I am literally phone posting rn because I don’t trust nor like my laptop the way it is right now. Would Debian be a good switch? Is there anything that resembles Mint Cinnamon for Debian? What other distro would be good for running Project64 through WINE and isn’t plagued with botnet?

Attached: C625C2FF-806A-45AA-8C66-F8D4FBADA4E4.jpg (329x374, 37K)

Why is this general so low in the catalog?
Bump.

In xubuntu, scrolling with 2 fingers on the laptop touchpad results in a persistent scrolling that stays when switching i3 workspaces and windows. What this means is i'll scroll a thing, then tab to my browser and it'll immediately start scrolling.

Any idea how to fix this?

i wanna use windows on my laptop for ease but i wanna use linux because i dont wanna be part of the botnet

help

Put Linux on your desktops, servers and so on then. Keep the botnet on that laptop if you must.

Use a liveboot of Qubes OS.

Attached: 317615E2-1CEA-4346-A6DB-1264A52EA45B.jpg (600x600, 48K)

GTK or QT?

This user again.
Should I use Manjaro, Debian, or go back to Mint? How do Manjaro and Debian handle WINE?

Mint is Ubuntu Is Debian. Manjaro is Arch.

Only a day into a half with into using GNU/Linux with i3 (starting off with i3 is a bold move they told me, so I did it) and it's already comfier than anything I've ever had with Windows.

Install Gentoo.

Welcome ~.

Remember to add binds for quickswap. For example:
>bindsym $mod+n mark --add quickswap
>bindsym $mod+m swap container with mark quickswap
It's a life saver in some cases.

FLTK

I've followed the advice of some Anons on what to do before I get Debian actually. Just fiddle around with it right?

Attached: It begins(Linux).png (1280x528, 191K)

What can I use to generate a visualizer video like this from an audio file?

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 51K)

Friendly reminder that Linux+GNU infringes more than three hundred patents owned by Microsoft and that any commercially distribution of Linux (gnu or not) has to pay fees to Microsoft. Linux FOSS is actually a myth.

Attached: ballmer_seeing_you.jpg (782x585, 153K)

Attached: 1383586740975.gif (320x240, 1.83M)

this is true, Microsoft earns billions every year by licensing its patents to android phone distributors.

for example, every modern package manager violate this patent patents.google.com/patent/US5845077A/en

howtogeek.com/183766/why-microsoft-makes-5-to-15-from-every-android-device-sold/
zdnet.com/article/310-microsoft-patents-used-in-android-licensing-agreements-revealed-by-chinese-gov/

lol what a stupid patent. It's basically just "downloading files - the patent".

I'm not a lawyer and I'm sure you're not either, so I don't think either of us is qualified to know whether this actually means anything for package managers.
As far as I can tell this could be loosely applied to an insane amount of things, including Steam and even Javascript "apps" that are technically downloaded from a remote machine.

I'm not going to worry until something actually happens. it's not like there's anything I can do by worrying anyway. Somehow I just doubt anything will come of this.
I doubt anything bad is going to happen to GNU/Linux as a whole, because it is FAR bigger of an enterprise than most desktop users realize. GNU/Linux is in all honesty a fucking giant with many many very rich and very powerful people and industries who depend on it.

I don't know about wine but I emulate a lot on arch and it's really nice being able to use the AUR to build the latest git versions of emus, particularly because when it comes to emulators stable versions are always extremely outdated and even more so are the stable versions available in most official repos.
So between those I'd go with manjaro since it's arch-based and not too overly complicated to get set up. Also stop using project64

just know that redhat, novell, google, ... they all pay fees to microsoft.

>I'm not going to worry until something actually happens

zdnet.com/article/salesforce-pays-microsoft-to-settle-patent-infringement-suit/

who /2.6.32/ here?

Attached: 1538856115062.jpg (230x249, 33K)

I'm having an issue with sagemath and Anaconda. This is a brand new install of Linux Mint 19.

What I did:
1. Install sagemath from repository
2. Make sure sage is working
3. Install Anaconda

Now when I try to run sage I get
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib64/sagemath/local/bin/sage-ipython", line 6, in
from sage.repl.interpreter import SageTerminalApp
ImportError: No module named 'sage'

This is the same problem that this guy is having: ask.sagemath.org/question/34416/importerror-no-module-named-sage/
The fix suggested there, commenting out a line Anaconda adds to bashrc that updates the PATH, makes sage work, but breaks Anaconda. Is there an obvious solution, or at least a workaround that'll get both working at the same time?

Is there a proper way to shutdown a system? I've been using
>shutdown -h 0

It's almost always "poweroff". Sometimes "halt".

Sage is clearly not accessible.
Double check your paths and make sure sage is actually where you think it s

>/usr/lib64/sagemath/local/bin/sage-ipython
This looks very messy and improper

>lib64 is deprecated in 2012
>local
Why do you need local when you are already in the source folder of "sagemath"?
The proper would be
"/usr/lib/sagemath/bin/"
Are you mixing using local installs with your package manager?

Yeah but keep in mind if you're using a nonfree wifi driver internet won't work out of the box when you install it on bare metal. You will either have to transfer the driver over later or use the nonfree iso.

Oh.

Not him, but that advice is potentially true for some baremetal installs. It seems that you're installing it in virtualbox, which won't have that problem.

I can't get it to boot. I'm a brainlet at times.

you have to add your downloaded .iso file to the virtual cd drive of the VM. It should prompt you when you launch the vm for the first time

Just use Ubuntu with whatever DE you were going to use on top of Debian. Gotta crawl before you can walk.

I see. It turns out I'm an idiot for not doing that. Thanks.

Attached: 1530418970127.jpg (680x567, 65K)

Has anyone bought a laptop with the specific intent of installing Linux? I know the "used thinkpad" is a common answer, but I was wondering what considerations come into play when buying a used or new laptop with the intention of using it as a linux machine.

Specifically I think the display is a big issue for me, I want a very good display in the laptop.

I bought one with the intention of installing GNU/Linux and it didn't influence my decision at all. It was HP. Everything works.
Pretty sure the only things you have to worry about are media keys and wifi. It's not like your display isn't going to come on or the keyboard isn't going to work or something.

I bought a refurb dell latitude because i got it for a great price. didn't even consider linux at the time and was using windows 7 on it for school.

i installed ubuntu on it a few years ago, and everything worked out of the box except for the broadcom wifi, which worked just fine after installing their firmware.

as a rule of thumb, if you're buying a laptop to run linux on, get hardware that is at least one year old. that is usually more than enough time for maintainers to support the new hardware features in linux

I need an operating system for my daily use that also ensures my privacy. What do you recommend me?

babby wants to install his first linux.
im installing it on a laptop with only 1 ssd in it.

does it matter what file/partition system i pick? this ext4 etc shizzle is confuzing yo.

I'm sure sage is where I think it is because it worked fine before I installed python.

My bad, I didn't double check the path in the error message. It's /usr/share/sagemath/bin/sage-ipython
on my machine, everything else is the same.

I'm not sure exactly what a local install is. I installed sage with a package manager and Anaconda by downloading a .sh file and running it with bash.

>Anaconda by downloading a .sh file and running it with bash.
This is a local install. Anything you dont install with your package manager is a local install, where your package manager does not know it exists since it was built and installed out of tree.

Can you see if you can build it from your repo or if there is a package that can be used with your package manager so everything is in the correct locations for your system?

most of the time it's wifi or dual gpu setup issues
for wifi prefer that it's atheros or whatever; that company has supported drivers even in 100% libre distros
for dual gpu you either choose to use one gpu or the another

As far as I can tell there's no way to get Anaconda through a package manager. Could you please elaborate on building it from my repo?

Do you have a theory on why
# added by Anaconda3 installer
export PATH="/home/theo/anaconda3/bin:$PATH"
in ~/.bashrc breaks sage?

>in ~/.bashrc breaks sage?
Are you using quotes? Dont do that.
export PATH=$HOME/anaconda3/bin:$PATH

The line with quotes was the one the Anaconda installer added to the file. I just tried with your line and it doesn't seem to have changed anything.

ur mom xd

I just reformated my /home and restored from back up. I am stuck at lightdm and can't load openbox or gnome3. I get a failed: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send reply, message bus security policy blocked reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken. I am stressed trying to fix it.

I don't get the purpose of WINE. Just dualboot and get better speed. Memory is quite cheap now.

Not him, but having trouble with virtual box attempt at 3 different distros ive tried, including ubuntu; obviously i can boot and install various distros and have in the past, but virtuabox is being a dumbshit. yes i mounted the iso in the optical drive, yes i have disk space allocated and a vhd (also tried vdi), but nothing works and it just gives me
"
Result Code:
E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component:
MachineWrap
Interface:
IMachine {85cd948e-a71f-4289-281e-0ca7ad48cd89}
"

cant really make heads or tails of the log file

Also if I switch to ctrl alt F2 and log in but files to switch to ~ and kicks me in to root.

Some people don't want windows touching their hardware directly. You can emulate and pass through a GPU for native performance for best of both worlds... Windows still touches your GPU though.

I'm trying to install ubuntu on a separate hard drive. Primary hard drive has Windows 10 on it. I don't know much about Linux. I installed the Live ISO to a usb key and booted with it. Then I ran the installer (Ubiquity I guess) and I get to a section that has three checkboxes:
>Download updates while installing
>Install third-party software for graphics and Wi-fi and media formats
>Configure Secure Boot

Underneath the install third-party software checkbox it says:
>Installing third-party drivers requires configuring Secure Boot. To do this you need to choose a security key now, and enter it when the system restarts.

So I'm confused at this point.
>If I need the "Configure Secure Boot" option when installing third party software, why can I select "Install third-party software" without "Configure Secure Boot"?
>I don't even know if I have secure boot enabled on the device
>How important is the password? If something is fucking around with UEFI keys, and I enter a password here and forget it, what happens?

Man I'm five minutes into this install and its already a horribly confusing mess. Why wouldn't they have an installation guide on their website that actually describes the install options? Or better yet, fucking explain the options in the installer in clear language

Sorry, autism is not supported. Apply some context to what you're reading instead of taking every single line literally. If you can't figure out the Ubuntu install walk away right now.

What context are you talking about? It explicitly says I need to configure secure boot if installing third party software... but then it lets me choose whether or not to configure it.

Secure boot is a thing in your mother board, basically only allowing the computer to boot if the os is registered correctly, it can be a little weird on Linux as vendors don't include Linux I guess, check your modo and disable secure boot if you want or jump through the install hoops if you want to keep it enabled

>jump through the install hoops if you want to keep it enabled
I'll probably disable it, I just don't understand the descriptions in the installer.

Is there someway to take this CoC out of my ass? A month back I started feeling backdoor pain in my Linux. Could it be CoC?

It's what I do, technically less secure I guess but whatever

Installed Gentoo last night (in a VM). Everything went very smoothly. Thanks for the inspiration, /fglt/

Attached: 1535327152395.gif (403x447, 316K)

Just give it time. It's only the kernel anyway. You can literally swap out kernels without having to reinstall the system (just another reason why "Linux" isn't your OS).
I don't know why everyone is so panicked. There WILL be solutions to any problems we end up facing, even if it means migrating to a new kernel. I don't know what the future holds, all I know is we're not fucked yet.

It's just sad/annoying. I haven't used Ubuntu since 11.x and I thought the experience would be better. Its still junk. I'm so tired of wasting time on this nonsense I just need something that works without me needing to deal with this kind of shit.

Is this an okay partition setup to install linux to an external hard drive on a laptop with uefi?
>efi partition for uefi voodoo
>boot partition for grub files (overkill)
>swap for hibernation (like that will ever work right on linux lmel)
>45gb partition for ubuntu
>45gb partition for another linux (will probably play with sabayon or void or something)
>150gb partition for my files

Attached: Screenshot_20181007_045357.png (1920x1080, 636K)

how much of a fag am I; just went from ubuntu to fedora

a lot

During the pacstrap i didnt install base-devel, just sudo and wifi drivers. Am i fucked now considering i cant install programs without pacman?

gentoo

Couldn't you just boot off the usb again and pacstrap base-devel?

Nevermind that, just sudo pacman -S base-devel

But isnt pacman part of basedevel?

No

no u.

But why is it listed here
archlinux.org/groups/x86_64/base-devel/

You have to close the terminal properly, i.e. use Ctrl+D on an empty prompt to pass an EOF.

Where do you naturally put bash scripts when you're done writing them? I'm considering bin but I'm under the impression that it's exclusively for compiled binaries, what do?

Attached: drift-king.png (548x410, 480K)

>Please be civil
How is GNU/Linux different from regular Linux?

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux,
is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux.
Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component
of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell
utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day,
without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU
which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are
not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a
part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system
that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run.
The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself;
it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is
normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system
is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux"
distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Install Devuan

#!/bin/bash

p=('rtorrent' 'firefox' 'discord' 'thunderbird')

# send out SIGINT to apps
for x in "${p[@]}"; do
echo "$x" # test mode
#pkill -3 "$x"
done

counter=60

while true; do
runningapps=${#p[@]}
for x in "${p[@]}"; do
if pgrep "$x" > /dev/null; then
# app is running, continue to wait
echo "" > /dev/null
else
# app is not running, remove it from runningapps
runningapps=$((runningapps - 1))
fi
done

counter=$((counter - 1))

if [[ "${runningapps}" == 0 ]] || [[ "${counter}" == 0 ]]; then
# all apps has closed continuing to shutdown computer
# OR if apps hasn't closed after a minute force shutdown
break
fi

sleep 1
done

#systemctl poweroff

WM autists, how do you make sure systemd doesn't SIGKILL your programs when rebooting? some programs like rtorrent won't respond to systemd and hang the reboot for 1 1/2 minute. thunderbird and firefox will say it crashed last time you used it if you just call poweroff/reboot straight away in the wm with everything running. made this script that kinda works. any tips on how to improve it or is there another way that is better?

Hey. Excuse me for being a complete retard, but why does calling a bash script file with a for loop in it produce only one iteration output?
For example, I wanna roll a dice 39 times with the help of /dev/random
#!/bin/sh

for i in {1..39}; do
echo "$(tr -cd '1-6' < /dev/urandom | head -c 1; echo)"
done
Then when I run it:
# ./diceroll
n
where n is a random number from 1 to 6. Not 39 random numbers.

I know something is missing. I'm just a bash retard. Help

just wanted to congratulate you on a successful bait

Is there a widget or something for KDE that would integrate with my music player? Pic related is more or less what I want. Would be absolutely great to have one for mpv too.

Attached: 1511005528982.png (1280x460, 150K)

are you using another shell?

try changing it to #!/bin/bash

I've installed Debian9 (stretch) on a VM yesterday and i'm starting to read and pratice about commands e how to manage the system itself. since i dont know shit about GNU/linux, i'm using a search engine by my side to enlight most of things, but, there something i cant understand well, such as, why my terminal says that there isn't a "sudo" command even when a lot of tutorials use it? or a "tree", that seems to work like "ls" but its more easy to see everything. Also, how do i "install" things? the "apt" only answer me that it wasn't possible because i'm not a superuser and when i activate the su- i i dont know what to do. to make my dabian look aesthetic as those form desktop threads i need to install some packages?

Attached: dumb as fuck.png (1200x682, 296K)

huh. it worked?!
what the fuck. Why did that make it work??

Theres a media player widget that shows up in the systemtray as an icon.

from root add your local username to the sudoers group. That makes sudo work.

If you installed debian with a root password it turns off sudo by default and you will have to manually set it up

sh tries to invoke the shell you have running for your user, so if you're using zsh/fish or something it will try to run it with that instead

Is there a way to make the shell in midnight commander have the same colors as the one the bash shell has?

thank you