/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Stupid question thread.
Ask your stupid questions here.

>Read

>redirect anons making their own threads with >GNU/Linux questions?
>Programming questions?
>PC building?
>Good, cheap, laptops?
>Cheap electronics?
>Windows questions?
>Where can I get Win10 LTSB?
>How do I activate Win10/Win7?
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt
pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7

Previous thread:

Attached: 91.jpg (666x666, 54K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PulseAudio#daemon.conf
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

another day another loli /sqt/

Asking here because this line of questions is more Jow Forums related I think.

I'm planning out building my own desk from 2x4s and 3/4" plywood, and would like some ideas.

/diy/ suggested stick on vinyl flooring for a work surface. thoughts?
(You)

Who makes good desk grommets?

Who makes really good and really big mouse pads?

Who makes good ESD/anti-static hardware?
wrist straps, high temp solder resistant mats, etc.

Who makes good clamp mount lamps/magnifiers?

Who makes good clamp mount TV/Monitor arms?

Meanwhile, at the top of the page...

Attached: 68.png (300x100, 33K)

Banners are a reminder of how lost and hypocritical Jow Forums has become.

>/diy/ suggested stick on vinyl flooring for a work surface. thoughts?
I'd just use a solid door, and cover it with a hard enamel.

Cursed dimensions

>Banners are a reminder of how lost and hypocritical Jow Forums has become.

Attached: uh.gif (531x354, 3.6M)

What is this type of usb called?
I know its usb 3.0 but whats the name of USBs with the same shape?

Attached: 773df421f9fc37856c5140eacb21f3a5.png (85x66, 15K)

Type A

the banners remind us that

Jow Forums IS AN ANIME WEBSITE

Know what the first board on Jow Forums was?
"/b/ - Anime/Random"
Know what the second board was?
"/h/ - Hentai"

checked

Gotcha. Yeah, people that come here expecting it to be reddt need to go back.

Why does my webcam only show a black screen? It's a C270 on Windows 7, I tried updating the drivers but only the microphone works. Skype, twitch, discord, even just the setup gives me the same thing

>henreader
Good choice.

First

>Cursed dimensions

Attached: 666x666.jpg (666x666, 152K)

How to use imagemagick to add a small cluster of pixel to a random location on an image?

-taint

Anything similar like freedns.afraid.org, where you can donate your domain?

what?

Attached: a.png (506x42, 3K)

convert

Please refer to the image i posted.

convert $file -taint $file;

Here is how I used it in one of my old codes

How is this adding information to the file?
This is just "declaring the file modified", changing the date modified, i want to add pixels to the image, not just say its modified

Yeah I'm looking through and its not ringing any bell. It came from my babbys first script years ago to rename pictures and change the md5. I'm no help

I updated debian a few days ago and it looks like pulseaudio messed up. It randomly cranks to 3000% audio, its scary as hell. What could have went wrong? strace pulseaudio doesn't really help other than saying certain conf files dont exist but sound was fine yesterday

What would be the difference between a USB Wifi Adapter (TP-Link N300) and a PCI one(TP-LINK TL-WN851ND) when it comes to quality and signal.

using my iphone SE's touchscreen starts to making my thumb feel weird and tingly and after awhile it starts to sting a little. why is this, and is there a way to alleviate it? It makes me feel weary about upgrading to a phone thats all screen because at least the home button doesn't hurt my finger

PCI is typically higher bandwidth and more powerful.

So a cheap old PCI adapter would be better than a cheap USB one?

Diff your config with the new config

Is it possible to find out if my IP address is being used as a VPN exit node? I've recently been getting Google bot detected pages and a Jow Forums ban saying that I was hosting a VPN exit node

Reset your router.

>everything I don't like is reddit

>trying to fix my old broken computer
>tested all components
>located problem
>has to be either mobo or psu
>borrowed psu
>tested for a few secs
>seems to work
>bought new psu
>connected everything and started machine
>won't start somehow
>checked all connectors and replug them
>tried again
>this time its running
>seeing a few transistors boiling and smoking
>mfw: :(
Is it possible for a new high powered psu to kill a mobo, or did a defect mobo caused death to my machine from the beginning?
Also, this problem only attented when the cpu was connected.

In the newly released computer trading card game "Magic the Gathering: Arena", in order to pay for anything, the client opens a browser and accesses a secure website, however, windows 10 opened an options menu for browsers when I went to pay for something -- I selected "open using program" instead of "open with firefox/chrome/etc". Now I am locked out of paying for anything, reinstalling Arena didn't work. What features of windows was this, how can I re-access it?

why was it called /b/?

On the messaging app KIK, can the other person see if you delete the conversation or is it only deleted on your end?

With those cases that have a glass front panel how does the airflow work? Wouldn't that severely impact it because there's a solid piece of glass right up against the fan?

Do you know the extension of the file it was trying to launch? (Maybe HTML/HTM?)

If so, find file with extension, shift+right click, and select "Open With..."

So I am using f2k and I am also using a theme, but that theme has a default "no art available" image when there is no art, but it also has some kind of layer on top of any art like pic related, on the top left corner, there is a black thing and other shit that can't be seen at all. The original one is just in the middle right of the screenshot.
So how do I remove that layer/filter in the cover image?

Attached: file.png (1280x1024, 213K)

Likely the latter - no motherboard worth its salt should let you connect the power wrong and still attempt to turn on, though I suppose, if it's a really crappy mobo, there's a chance you may have done that (perhaps the CPU power). The PSU is only going to supply the power requested, so unless ya pulled some Euro/USA power conversion hack, it can't overload the motherboard just cuz it's OP.

>and it looks like pulseaudio messed up
Not entirely surprising. It's notoriously buggy. Some searching hints that it might have something to to with the flat-volumes setting in the configs.

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PulseAudio#daemon.conf
>Note: The default behavior upstream can sometimes be confusing and some applications, unaware of this feature, can set their volume to 100% at startup, potentially blowing your speakers or your ears. This is why Arch defaults to the classic (ALSA) behavior by setting this to no.

hello,
i've got a gigabyte r9 390 and an msi z97 gaming 3 mobo. if you hadn't guessed already from the gayymerrrrrgear, i'm a bit retarded and a brainlet and i accidentally ripped one of the pci sockets out many moons ago.

i want to upgrade my GPU powerlevel for the new total warhammer DLC (us gamers, right?). so basically i've two questions i was hoping someone here could answer, and two options:

questions:
>PCI-E X16, PCI-E X1, PCI -- outside of physical size/compatibility and assumed bandwidth power (or w/e), what's the difference between any of these? if the answer is too complex, don't bother.
>since i ripped out my 2nd PCI (-E 3.0?) socket, is it viable in the slightest that i could use an adaptor on another PCI socket to crossfire two r9 390s?

options:
>1) 'waste' my r9 390 and upgrade to one of the shiny new GPUs that have come out in the past year or so
>2) assuming an adaptor on a different PCI socket isn't viable, buy a new mobo, new cpu, basically new everything -- just so i can crossfire two r9 390s.

pretty sure the first option would actually be the cheapest. total war warhammer 2 is the only game i'm really looking to play, so i've got to do some research on how CPU impacts performance (i've got an i5 4960k) before i commit to any purchases.

sorry for the retarded post and questions. as i said, i'm a bit... special
thanks in advance guys.

Attached: 1505522439704.jpg (468x589, 226K)

What's an affordable upgrade to a 970?

2080Ti

Nothing's going to make a night/day difference for most things - 1070TI maybe, depending on what you call "affordable", but you might wanna look into what else you can upgrade on the system first, if the best you can do is a 1060.

How exactly would I code a program in html which edits a photo in avery spicifc way?

The computer was about 10yrs in use and then from one day to an other it didn't start anymore. Shutted it down without any signs of problems but the next day it just didn't start anymore. In my experience I thought it was the psu again, because this computer already killed/survived 2 psu. This probably means, the old psu is still good to go and the mobo is the problem. Weird thing is the old psu has 400w and when the cpu was connected nothing worked. without cpu it all other components together worked. The old one even didn't work if only the cpu was connected. However the borrowed psu worked and had just 20w more.
So but how comes it sometimes work, it sometimes doesn't and if everything is connected turning into a camp fire?

>reddit spacing
Nobody is helping you here, friend.

very carefully

>>PCI-E X16, PCI-E X1, PCI -- outside of physical size/compatibility and assumed bandwidth power (or w/e), what's the difference between any of these?
That's about it - the x## being the number of data lanes. PCE-E x16 is generally for GPUs, while the other two are generally for other sorts of cards and/or dated.

As for your two options - Crossfire can lead to a lotta headaches, without much bang for your buck, however, replacing your motherboard/CPU/memory will have far more bang for your buck than upgrading from a r9 390 to any of the newer AMD cards, which the Crossfire will put you on par with, and it'll give you better forward compatibility for upgrading.

Does this meme exist just to prove you've never been to Reddit - land of the never ending paragraph?

I'm just kidding, you should see no real difference in performance between x8 and x16. Check benchmarks to see what the game is bottlenecked by, most likely CPU.

>code a program in html
You can't. Not using html
>inb4 someone says html5 is turning complete
You have to use an actual programming language, then look for libraries that would assist you in editing image files, then using that do what you want to do. If you can't even spell correctly you might want to choose an easier project to work on.

thanks senpai. yeah i've definitely got some research to do.

also isn't reddit spacing doing this:
>reddit

spacing?

guess i've gotta sub to Jow Forumsoutoftheloop !!

>If you can't even spell correctly you might want to choose an easier project to work on.
>"turning" complete

>dosent know what paragraph is or how to make one

I'll have you note that turning is not spelled incorrectly.

Why did Thunar change to this ugly GTK theme all of the sudden?
It's using the GTK theme that I have set in my settings in all of my other programs except Thunar.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-10-06_22-25-25.png (282x147, 4K)

Well, I suppose that's technically true, Mr. Potter... HOWEVER!

this post reminds us that
WEEABOOS ARE PEDOPHILES
WEEABOOS ARE PEDOPHILES
WEEABOOS ARE PEDOPHILES
WEEABOOS ARE PEDOPHILES
WEEABOOS ARE PEDOPHILES
WEEABOOS ARE PEDOPHILES

winfag/gaymerfag

I'm trying to filter something unless it's preceded by a certain somthing else using 4chanx/js regex
"pony": filtered
"no pony": not filtered

Attached: 41348529.jpg (600x576, 41K)

Attached: 1487757786586.png (914x898, 592K)

I am not able to install Windows 10 in samsung evo 850 but I had previously installed in there. Internet asked me to clean using gpt label but still i am not able to install there.

>Internet asked me to clean using gpt label but still i am not able to install there.
What.

Looking for a mpv input config.
Is there a way to map + and - to make the subs bigger and smaller?

Attached: scrot_2018-08-26-21:28:55_1366x768.png (1366x768, 723K)

Thunar switched to GTK+3 in a recent release along with some other XFCE programs. Thunar and XFCE are dead now. PCManFM is still GTK+2 so you may want to switch over to that instead.

I googled and found what the solution internet had to give.

fuck
guess I have to find a nice looking gtk 3 theme then or start using pcmanfm

It's called a negative lookbehind. I don't know if it's supported in browsers.

/(?

>seeing a few transistors boiling and smoking
Do you mean capacitors? Transistor shouldn't boil. You can just replace them if you are smart enough. Very easy to do.

the person who told you to use html in the last thread was trolling you dum dum

It's very hard to get decent looking GTK+3 themes now since GTK+3 pretty much completely dropped support for themes at some point, and now only has basic CSS theming. It's alright if you want your desktop to look like an awful Bootstrap 3 web application, but a lot of themes designed around modern GTK+3 like Numix and Arc have GTK+2 variants so you can have a mostly consistent looking theme across programs if you go for one of those. Another option is Oomox which is a recolourable templated Numix-derived theme. Unfortunately you'll find that any unique-looking GTK+2 themes you have won't have any kind of GTK+3 port that still works. If you want to go down the route of Qt5 instead, using something like pcmanfm-qt, you can install "qt5-styleplugins" to use your GTK+2 theme in any Qt5 applications.

meh I think I'll just switch to PCManFM
Should I use the qt or gtk version?
and what did you mean by XFCE being dead?

>Find out girl in one of my classes like me
>Get her information off facebook
>Go to 3 different stores and buy duct tape, mask and knife
>Wait outside her house until her roommate leaves
>Break in and tie her to the bed
>She begs me to stop and asks what she did to deserve this
>Rape her until she is unconscious
>She doesn't go to class for 2 weeks
>Her first day back ask her what happened
>She says something horrible happened and she doesn't want to talk about it
>Says she feels alone
>Ask her if she wants to get dinner because I want to know her better
>She becomes completely emotionally dependent on me
>She is now my girlfriend and has no idea what I did to her

Attached: 999.jpg (768x249, 78K)

>Should I use the qt or gtk version?
Personally I prefer the GTK+2 version. Looks and feels nicer somehow. However I don't thiink it's being developed much nowadays and the Qt version is being focused on more. I'd say if you go for the GTK+ version it will be easier and look nice straight away whereas you might have to fiddle with Qt to get that looking how you want it.
>and what did you mean by XFCE being dead?
Was just joking really since they're switching over to GTK+3 now when GTK+2 is way better. XFCE is still actively developed.

>Internet asked me to clean using gpt label
That sounds like some kind of German vodka.

okay. what language is best if I writing a program that edits a photo in a very specific way?

What exactly is preventing the install, is it not appearing under available drives?

Any language that you are proficient in.

Eh, given that you didn't realize you were being trolled there, ya probably don't want to be using a language and building a proggie from scratch, as that'd be rather epic for your first programming task. So, unless ya gotta decade to learn, ya might be better off looking into Gimp or Photoshop batch conversion scripts or automation.

>edits a photo in a very specific way?
what are you doing, adding a watermark or something?

when do y’all niggas think ableton will be compatible with macOS mojave?

Attached: shieet mufugga google dat shit nex'time nigga.png (760x649, 42K)

I guess I should say my 'affordable' is max range of probably $400

Most of the board letters for older boards correspond to japanese words.

Vega 56

Can I remove CoC from my distro? I am using CuckLinux.

so...banime?

Bakka!

I went dumpster diving today and found two iPad 2s. Does the recovery mode method using itunes for resetting it actually work? I'd rather not go through the effort of setting up a vm, installing windows, and then itunes just to find it's a brick regardless. I read it was only viable for older OS versions, but I can't really pin down which or which version these iPads have.

Supposed method:
>turn it off
>start up itunes
>hold home button
>connect it
>keeping holding home
>iTunes will set it to recovery mode
>factory reset it from recovery mode

Also, on a scale of 1 to 10 how much will I rage replacing the cracked digitizers? I heard it's a massive pain.

Pic related is similar to how one of them is cracked.

Attached: sortalikethis.jpg (768x509, 32K)

I know this is pretty dumb but is it possible to somehow mess up the color settings of my OS if I use programs like flux?

under my house smart panel there are 2 ethernet lines and 2 coax lines marked "d mark". none of them terminated or plugged in. what does that mean and where are they hooked up>

I bought my first SSD 6 months ago, a 256GB Corsair MX500. It's rated for 100 TBW, and I've written 5.08 TB so far. Yet the program that I used to monitor SMART attributes (HDD Sentinel) shows that attribute #202, "Percentage of the Rated Lifetime Used," shows 89% lifetime remaining.

Based on the logged values of #202, it has consistently been twice what you'd expect given the total TB written so far. Should I ignore it, or are there other factors that affect the lifetime of a SSD? As I said, this is the first SSD I've owned, and I don't know much about them.

product model/brand?

250GB Corsair MX500

>250GB Corsair MX500
*Crucial, not Corsair. I'm an idiot