/spg/ - Smartphone General

Moto X Pure Edition Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good Resources:
>Reviews, Specs, Comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency Checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com
kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual Phone Size Comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Post a Mini-Review of your Smartphone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Previous thread →

Attached: motoxpureeditionlarge.jpg (1456x906, 47K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/153209129762
xda-developers.com/nokia-8-bootloader-unlock/
gsmarena.com/xiaomi_note_5_pro_hands_on-review-1725p2.php
youtu.be/xyrs6Ore25s
engadget.com/2018/10/06/google-pixel-3-xl-hong-kong-leak-hands-on-video/#/
smile.amazon.com/Nokia-7-1-Unlocked-Smartphone-T-Mobile/dp/B07HD3QC65
bestbuy.com/site/nokia-7-1-with-64gb-memory-cell-phone-unlocked-blue/6291898.p?skuId=6291898
bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1436796-REG/nokia_11ctls11a03_7_1_dual_sim_64gb_smartphone.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Trapshit music starts up
>Beauty shots of the latest chinkshit phone
>HELLO DIS IS RAJESH AND WELCOME TO REVIEWTECH REVIEW

I don't mind getting a cheap but powerful chinkphone but what about support and warranty stuff if there is an issue? How long would I have to wait for say something like a new Pocophone if there is battery swelling or an Xiaomi if there is a recall?

Give me reasons not to buy chink phones

Attached: 1418280885538.jpg (452x427, 44K)

I have an Amazon Gift Card (amazon US) for about $450, what phone would you recommend on Amazon for around that price?

You pretty much have nothing in the form or warranty and support, an often overlooked fact.

You have a 15? Or whatever amount of days the return period is for AliExpress and that's it. It's also important to remember the probability of something happening is pretty slim.

Your stock room is miui which is bloated af which I'm using right now. Custom roms are available but they're no where near as polished compared to any nexus/pixel roms that have binary blogs freely available from manufacture to develope from.

Check the Nokia line out

>Sony XZ2 is still $600 despite the premium and the impending release of the XZ3

Jesus fucking christ just let me give you money

What are some things to use a phone for? There are so many neat looking phones out there, however I don't use them for anything besides GPS, Spotify, chatting, and browsing a few websites.

I don't see why I should spend $400+ on a phone for these use purposes.

Do I have to use a different launcher to change icons? Im using whatever comes with lineage so I think its trebuchet

God I hope the display of the Nokia 7.1 has as deep blacks as the one on the 7 plus.

Attached: 1538804267653.gif (440x440, 15K)

Looking to get the Samsung S9 for gaming. Is there any reason I shouldn't?

I need an android phone for AT&T in Texas. I don't want to get a chinese phone. I need a headphone jack. The s9+ benchmarks almost exactly the same as the s9, so I don't see a reason to pay an extra 250 dollars.

>implying samsung doesn't manufacture on China.
>inb4 Vietnam and China hurrdurr

Yea ok but I'm more worried about the lack of warranty and support, like someone mentioned earlier.

This shit (still) drives me up the fucking wall.
Anyone knows how to change the colour of the navigation bar at the bottom or the overall theme?
(Coming from an older phone with physical navigation buttons)

Attached: Screenshot_20181007042432627_org.floens.chan.png (1080x2246, 211K)

Is anyone familiar with KaiOS? I want to know if I'll be able to sync my Posteo mail and contacts with it.

Will Lineage fuck up my Redmi Note 5 battery life? What about EU?

You're out of luck if you are not using oneplus 6/5t, blacknavigationbar on xposed is the shit but only works for oneplus.

Navbar apps on playstore is OK if you're a normie. It uses Accessibility services to detect your UI changes to mod the nav bar.

ebay.com/itm/153209129762

Should i pull the trigger?

>paying ~500$ for a 720p phone

Is there any way to change the calibration on my display? As in tinker around with the color and saturation? I'm guessing this is something you can do with a rooted device but I'd like to know, I'm getting a RN5 and the colors look a tiny bit bland from the videos I've been seeing.

>fingerprint reader in the front
>on screen navigation buttons
is there anything more retarded than this

>Use Moto x pure for 3 years
>It is plagued intermittently with ghost touching issues just so that it lulls you into a false sense if security in which you think the phone has fixed itself only to have the screen go full retarded again

The silicon backed pure is still the best design language to have ever existed on a phone however.

Attached: downloadfile.jpg (800x600, 101K)

questions about the nokia 8
whats the estimated lifespan on it in terms of hardware and upgrades?
is the finger sensor just a touch pad or is it a actual button that clicks?
are there good cases for it?
overall worth the 370 dollars?

Not worth 400$ cause of the locked bootloder, you should look into pocophone if you can flash a rom.
It's a solid phone in other departments it released in 2017 so ilm suppose it will get its last update next year

Is there any cheap ip68 phone? I'm on the pool a lot, so an official waterproof solution would be cool.
I'm looking at the Galaxy A5 (2017). Does anyone have a better suggestion?
The form factor of the A5 is pretty ideal, and an unlocked or unlockable bootloader is a must.

xda-developers.com/nokia-8-bootloader-unlock/

>you should look into pocophone if you can flash a rom.
I can't, I'm an ios boy but don't want to spend 500+ dollars for a phone, and I want a headphone jack
I'm willing to learn how to do that though to increase my phones longevity but I heard it can brick my shit

So, there is no reason to buy Nokia 7.1 over Nokia 7 plus if youre not american? Seems like 7.1 has worse sceen, battery and processor

Attached: Mobiili.fi-2018-2-25-kello-17.23.33.png (1718x963, 1.23M)

Get the op6 or a wait a few days for nokia to release new phones or you're better off getting the nokia 7 plus as its a newer phone and will get updates for longer

Sauce on worse screen

the op6 is a bit more expensive than I'm comfortable spending though, the nokia 8 is already pushing it.
if the nokia 7 plus is recommended over the nokia 8 because of the bootloader thing, what about the link that other user posted? or is rom flashing too dangerous for someone like me coming from ios to risk?

Rom flashing is easy specifically on well supported devices you just need to follow the steps, also even if you can unlock the bootloder it has no ROM support nokia phones are dead end in that way.
Nokia 7 plus is a recommendations over nokia 8 as nokia provides updates fro 2 years and security updates fro 3 so it's better to get a newer phone and the SD 660 is a good processor

How about note 9? The screen and battery size would make it much nicer for gaming.

Looking for something in the $350 or less range
and ideally at least slightly more powerful than an S6.
Will be running on ATT and expandable memory is a must.
If not moto or nokia, how are xiaomi and huawei phones?

I've never actually looked for a phone before and I'm a little lost. I've poked around through gsmarena but I don't really have a grasp of whats good.

I need a new phone.

I want a new one because I feel my current phone is too old, and because I need something to want for xmas.

What should I get?
I'm a developer and interested in productivity.

What you recommend?

People who able to use Xiaomi phone usually can buy them locally with warranty if they needed it.

well I'd rather get one that allows rom flashing if it means I can greatly extend the life of my phone, at least with security updates, so I'll rule out nokia completely since it can't happen
what about the honor 7x? or the sony xa2

Get the pocophone, the honor 7x has the same problem as nokia the xperia has the same processor as a 200$ chink phone

I looked it up, apparently it doesn't support many lte bands for att which is my carrier. sorry, probably should have said that before

If you need headphone jack go for 7 plus over the regular 8 because it's better overall despite the weaker cpu (660 vs 835)

If you're in the US you should either get then op6 or an older Sony /pixle flagship

It also has better cooling over the S9, doesn't it?

Nokia 7.1 is only "decent" if you're in US. If you're not you're overpaying for a shit processor

>I'm a developer and interested in productivity.
what the hell does this mean, you develop ON the phone?

It has, though I don't think it affects performance much, the regular S9 doesn't overheat either.

okay one more question, i don't know anything about those android OS like nougat or marshmallow, so if I buy an older phone thats still running those systems and not eligible for an update to oreo, is it absolutely essential for me to rom flash at least for the sake of security updates immediately when I get it?

No

dumb question, so my phone cant somehow have information broken into like my emails or card numbers and shit just because I'm on marshmallow and missing 2 gens of security updates?

Unless you act stupid on the internet you're pretty much secure

throw me a bone here friend, define act stupid
if i download music or something from a popular but shady site, is that what you mean?

Just get an iphone

You need an adblocker if you wanna do anything like that, which is easy on android, it's like only stupid people get aids on the internet, I would suggest you don't visit those shady websites on your phone as they expect retards and fill their website up with malicious code, use your pc

too expensive and no headphone jack
I'm moving from my SE right now, I'd just get another but it will probably lose support from apple soon
>use your pc
you're right. its just other sites make it sound like the security/OS updates are 100% essential even for someone like me who is isn't likely to do that shady stuff anyway

Isn't the 7 like ~400$, although I would suggest you switch to android get the 7 plus

Most chink stores do actually give you a warranty (6 or 12 months depending on the store), the issue is that you need to ship the phone back to China if you have any issues, on your own cost. Xiaomi phones are available locally in many countries now though so you can get proper warranty and support if you buy it from a local retailer.

after a quick job through amazon I'm looking at the
Nokia 6.1
Moto X4
Huawei Mate SE (which i also found a listing for an Honor X7 with a us warranty and its 50 bucks cheaper, but theyre the same phone?)
Sony XA2

any suggestions between these? Based on what i know, they all seem about equal performance wise to me

no headphone jack. huge dealbreaker for me

Nokia 7.1

If it's not an option on Trebuchet (check the launcher settings, long press on the homescreen to open it), then you got to the change the launcher.

Ok, sorry for telling you to get an iphone. It's just that I got annoyed with your stupid questions.
Anyway, I'll put things in perspective for you.
The only phone I had until last month, when it died of old age, was running Android JellyBean which is like a million years old. I had it filled with lots of shady pirated apps, many of them with root access, and through the ~5 years I had this phone, nothing bad ever happened.

Now, I'm not saying you should do what I did (you obviously shouldn't). But there's no point in blowing security out of proportion. The NSA already has full access to any phone you buy anyway.

Asus Zenfone 5Z, it's $499. Only compatible on the GSM carriers though, forget it if you're on Verizon or Sprint.

Is it really worth the extra hundred bucks?

i understand my questions are shit but you've helped a mentally slow person greatly and should pat yourself on the back friend
idc about tsa, it was just other forums and articles saying how absolutely important it was to upgrade so i wanted to double check with you buds
might just get the honor 7x because i don't need any extra special shit anyways as long as i know its secure

Just get a OnePlus 6 if it's for gaming

Now that I look at it,no

There's settings for that in MIUI
>The Redmi Note 5 Pro has a 5.99-inch, 2160x1080 IPS LCD with an 18:9 aspect ratio. The display has multiple settings to adjust the color, contrast and temperature. By default, it is set to Automatic mode, which automatically adjusts the contrast to ambient lighting. The Increased contrast mode locks it down to a high contrast and saturation setting with a cool color temperature. Or you can set it to the Standard mode, which has more normalized color, contrast and color temperature closer to sRGB values but not precisely so. If you want color accuracy, this is the mode to use, which is what we did on our unit.
gsmarena.com/xiaomi_note_5_pro_hands_on-review-1725p2.php

Moto X4. You can also find Sony XZ1/XZ1 Compact and LG G6 pretty cheap, usually around 300€.

That's objectively the worse choice you've made, honor has cancer and proprietory hardware

okay nokia 8 then

7 plus

Pixel 3 or OnePlus 6T

where to cop for american pig

>but it will probably lose support from apple soon
Apple is still giving updates to the iPhone 5S from 2013. The SE came out in 2016.

my only ios device is a ipod touch 5 stuck on 8.4.1 JB. now many apps are not working. fuck.

Walmart

arigato for your help

Before you ask "I want a new phone":
>I'm gay
IPhone XS
>I'm not gay and I'm rich
S9
>I'm not gay, I'm rich, and I can wait
Pixel 3
>I'm not gay and I'm middle class
Oneplus 6
>I'm not gay, I'm middle class, and I can wait
Oneplus 6T
Xiaomeme mi mix 3
>I'm not gay and I'm poor
Pocoshit

If you're in the US it's not really worth it to buy Nokia phones outside the ones officially sold there (so Nokia 2, 3.1, 6.1 and 7.1 IIRC), because they're missing bands for the US carriers (neither the Nokia 8 or 7 Plus has band 17 for AT&T for example). What was your budget again? At $500 you can get OnePlus 6 or an Asus ZenFone 5Z, if that's too much I'd consider something like a Nokia 7.1 ($349), Sony XZ1 Compact ($399), Essential phone ($339) or Mi Mix 2 ($350).

Thanks, user.
Sadly the Sony ones cost a fortune here. But I'll have to really consider the X4. It's slightly too wide for my taste, I guess one handed operation might be somewhat uncomfortable, but other than that it's looking good.

youtu.be/xyrs6Ore25s

The notch looks kinda kawaii.

>get drunk and break my mate 9 while texting some cunt
>get my old nokia 808 reactivated
>back in comfy old belle with a god-tier camera
>no longer have to edc a compact camera to get good shots
>no longer need a giant pocket for my phone
>mfw the old nokia is dead forever
There's still a small community keeping it semi-alive, too, with custom firmware and downloads for the offline maps. Maybe someday someone will make a proper successor to this wee beastie.

Attached: 1326622855138.jpg (639x595, 78K)

Was literally just going to post that:
engadget.com/2018/10/06/google-pixel-3-xl-hong-kong-leak-hands-on-video/#/

>a notch and a chin

Attached: 1528781131124.jpg (622x640, 43K)

I think the 8 is sold here isn't it? I can't find the 7.1 anywhere
I'll be honest with you, I like the bezel on the nokia 8. I don't like phones that are all screen because touch screen makes my thumb sting for some reason. plus the finger sensor/home button on the 8 reminds me of the SE and that comforts me. I know thats autistic and all phones are going to be complete screen eventually but I want to cherish it while I can

Be real.

4 years from now, you all would hate a phone WITHOUT a notch.

however of the phones you named, I think the sony xperia xz1 is the one I like most

Official ranking of the all-time nicest looking smartphones:
1. oneplus x
2. everything else there was is and will be

7.1 is on preorder:
Amazon -smile.amazon.com/Nokia-7-1-Unlocked-Smartphone-T-Mobile/dp/B07HD3QC65

Best Buy -bestbuy.com/site/nokia-7-1-with-64gb-memory-cell-phone-unlocked-blue/6291898.p?skuId=6291898

B&H Photo -bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1436796-REG/nokia_11ctls11a03_7_1_dual_sim_64gb_smartphone.html

And the 8 is sold as a gray import, not officially. Won't have warranty and as I said earlier, lacking bands for the US carriers.

thank you thats very helpful
the notch on top though is why I didn't like the latest iphone. it doesn't let you see the battery percentage. I like how the xz1 compact looks though, it is shaped like my se in size

7.1 is out later this month. 8 isn't sold in the US. 9 will be. Probably. If they ever release the fucking thing. The pentacam idea is...what the fuck do you need 5 cameras for?

Get a bigger phone, get out of your comfort zone i used to be a small phone fanatic too

I like using one hand though

As they cannot fit a larger size sensor due to lenses being bigger this seems like the best way to do it

explain because the price point is very attractive to me

isn't the 6.1 plus supposed to be sold in the us and eu aswell?

Cause the Ui is cancer chink aids and you cannot change i?also they'll cuck you with updates

Not the 6.1 Plus, only the regular 6.1.

Even ignoring the points the other user made, I wouldn't get the Honor 7X now when the 8X is about to launch.

I know the camera is shit and Razer customer support is shit, but I can't ignore this price. Do I get the Razer phone? It would mean spending nearly every dollar I have now until Friday but I don't want to wait on this in case they run out or it's just a glitch. $173 with tax and I can get a free sim and a free $40 gift card too.

Attached: 096849651654064.jpg (1281x315, 48K)

that puts me in a bit of a bind because my s6 is shitting itself on me so i want to replace it asap