Realistic speaking, if sony ever wanted to actually do a hybrid console like the switch...

realistic speaking, if sony ever wanted to actually do a hybrid console like the switch, what kind of AMD hardware would they use? and would it be stronger than the tegra X1 for the same price? i'm genuinely curious
[spoiler] posting this on /v/ would only result in console wars [/spoiler]

Attached: fix.jpg (740x752, 70K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/XDwEwjYcNCA
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

AMD CPU or GPU don't begin low power consume today, AMD need next gen GPU and fix low power consume from CPU and interconnections.

In theory Zen2 + Navi

AMD doesn't have the hardware for it. They'd go to Qualcomm.

Apple could absolutely trounce Nintendo/Nvidia in terms of portable processing power per watt though.

>Apple could absolutely trounce Nintendo/Nvidia in terms of portable processing power per watt though.
would it be as cheap as 300$ tho?

If they wanted it to be. Even their last-gen A-series processors would shit all over the Switch.

But they won't since they'd rather you just buy an iPad/iPhone.

no because maxwell is more energy efficient than anything amd has

I'm guessing some low-power Zen-based SoC
learn some fucking english you filthy pajeet
generally, modern GCN is very good at low power
it just doesn't scale with more voltage very well, which AMD has to push to compete with nvidia on the high-end
>qualshit
only relevant in smartphones, but x86 wrecks it anywhere else

apple GPUs are worse than even qualcomms offerings

AMD don't make cellphone ships.

>generally, modern GCN is very good at low power
No its not. You can look at reviews from any site and see how awful the power management is. Idle power is like 5x that of Pascal and GCN uses like 1.5x the power of Pascal and 2x over Turing under load. GCN is fucking garbage that was good 6 years ago but certainly not now

The Switch is really in a segment of its own: running something closer to mobile phone than laptop-class silicone, but using active cooling. Nvidia is stuck there with them which is why the Tegra hasn't been used in much besides the Switch (just some tablets nobody bought and the Shield iirc)

Rakesh go back to the sewers!

retard, you're comparing full-featured desktop cards with relatively fuckhuge dies
like, what did you expect?
there's so much shit you don't need in a console SoC that you can cut to drastically reduce power requirements

Attached: 1432565480769.jpg (284x253, 27K)

>Would it be stronger than the tetra x1?

I mean, surely 3years down the road, they'd be using modern tech.

The characteristics dont magically invert when you have smaller dies, they simply scale down. Anything nvidia can offer is several times more power efficient than GCN at any given die size. GCN is just hot, stinking garbage. And on top of that most modern mobile GPUs are at or better than Nvidia's level in efficiency

ryzen mobile does exist...

Ah, that's why the gt1030 uses about the same power as the new APUs for the same performance.

A dual core Ryzen APU with just a couple GCN CU would offer way more performance than the Switch's Tegra chip.
It'd draw less power too, the Switch routinely pulls about 10w. Power gating and low end clock scaling is super impressive these days.
They could probably use 22FDX from Global Foundries for a dirt cheap low power chip.

Also you're fucking wrong about consoles not needing more. GCN has a needlessly expanded ACE because of Sony and they added FP16 on the ps4 pro's psuedo Vega like a year before Vega was even available. And The Tomorrow Children, some ps4 game, was the first to use async compute, in fact those devs pretty much invented it because when presented the idea it was a novel use of AMD hardware and mantle wasn't even out yet. It's pretty fucking clear AMD has been adding those features for consoles because barely any PC devs utilize any of that hardware, like a handful of examples combined. I wouldn't be surprised if primitive shaders on vega was a prototype feature for Sony and MS's GPUs. If anything consoles are demanding more and more extra hardware features rarely used on pc

Switch's X1 is on an old 20nm process.

true that. but thats because theres no cash in using these features

>The characteristics dont magically invert when you have smaller dies, they simply scale down.
I mean, if you're retarded.
In reality, desktop GCN cards are way past the comfort zone the node has because AMD has to push the clocks to compete with Nvidia.
But in a power-constrained SoC you don't have this problem, and GCN "magically" becomes viable.
>GCN is just hot, stinking garbage.
You mean like Tegra, a certain iteration of which is known for burning through the tablets it was in?

Someone needs to take their meds.
I was referring to things like memory which is commonly merged with system memory in consoles - not only to save the power, but because it's an important optimization.
Also you're talking about desktop-like consoles, not portables like Switch. Of course that would be semi-custom with unimportant shit stripped, simply because of the limitations.

Attached: 1433172162002.jpg (640x496, 120K)

> what kind of AMD hardware would they use?
Zen2 LP 4core/8threads. Zen 1.5 desktop on 12nm goes as low as 35W and they have laptop CPUs capped at 15W with 2GHz base clock. Zen2 or Zen 2+ should be able to reach PS4 level with Switch cooling.

Planar 20nm is nothing like advanced SOI used in 22FDX.

>besides the Switch (just some tablets nobody bought and the Shield iirc)
It IS a shield. A shield 2, specifically. That's why they suddenly cancelled it when nintendo made an offer.

>what kind of AMD hardware would they use?

Sony doesn't have to do much aside from deploying a Ryzen V1000 series APU. The SMACHZ currently is planned to ship with a Ryzen Embedded V1605B, which has Vega 8 graphics. It's not on par with a Ryzen 3 2200G, but with tweaks and optimisations you can make it go faster than the Tegra X1.

As a side bonus, because it's based on x86 there's much less time needed for a port from the Sony portable to the PS4, and emulation becomes dead easy.

They called it the shield because it protected the user's virginity

>if sony ever wanted to actually do a hybrid console like the switch
This doesn't need to be a hypothetical
The big name console brands are well aware that the Switch prints money so it's just a matter of time before all consoles are designed this way
Sony is technically in a better position to do this as a successor to the Vita (which had docking as well as a non-portable counterpart) but it will wait a few years to avoid cannibalizing its PS5 sales
Microsoft's first try will be an embarrassment to every human who has ever lived but the second version will have good hardware and good games and also be a phone
This is all inevitable, and common sense, so don't bother to screenshot this post and don't post it on /v/

Attached: actual garbage fire.jpg (676x412, 35K)

only reason xbox and ps4 used AMD hardware is because mobile APUs from AMD where not selling and they could get them for literally 5$. people who think PS5 will use ryzen are retarded it would never happen if you can sell a cpu for 300$ it will never ever ever go in a console.

next gen will use some cpu that has failed. just like switch uses the nvidia shield cpu that failed.just like 360 used PowerPC because mac rejected it and it failed.

I have no idea what next gen will use but its prob a cpu that's failing massively right now. unoriginally some shitty intel 20nm shit no one wants.

>ryzen mobile exists
>4hr battery life with new battery

so mobile!

in b4 switch battery life compared, it also SUCKS.

>4hr battery life
[Citation needed]

>I have literally no idea what I'm talking about
The consoles used custom designed SoCs for each company. Stop posting, nigger.

you think Sony and MS bought FX 8350 for 5$? lol
Jaguar cores were low end stuff, look up prices for the ryzen 2400. sony and MS will probably use custom variants based on that design fabbed on TSMC 7nm

they should wait until portable hardware can make it play your ps4 games natively.

Came here to post this.

They would use a Snapdragon

>Microsoft's first try will be an embarrassment to every human who has ever lived
kek. I can already imagine the Xbox Surface they are coming with.

>implying a country with no toilets has sewers

Fuck off Satan

>SMACHZ
yeah if that ever actually releases

is this a ylyl thread? because I lost

apple GPU is a direct ripoff of imagination IP, which is decent. It's competitive at a minimum and would like scale in a 15W chip decently. That said an Apple hybrid gaming SoC would literally disrupt the gaming market because of how stupid good their CPUs are. They could source other IP for the GPU to slap some extra flops in there.

Also
>defending qc
they have literally never made a single product worth its weight in shit. All they do is sit on IP patents they don't have the right to and bully competition while they make subpar half solutions to everything. They are the yahoo of hardware if yahoo also tried to sit its fat ass on competitors.

Attached: chewie.png (760x572, 247K)

They were holding off because all the older generation APUs they were listing were total dogshit and couldn't really run anything.
The company apparently has a design using a Raven Ridge part.

I'd say its 50/50 whether they even have the capacity to put them into production.

For once AMD might be the better choice since 7mm

Yeah you can believe that
youtu.be/XDwEwjYcNCA

AMD Ryzen Embedded, probably

bullshit on it not releasing. No more than 5k on offshore engineering. 10k on 5 prototypes PCBs, parts sourcing, assembly, cnc'ed enclosures, and starting preorders on their site. The only reason you would need more than that is to start mass production and advertising. It was all a scam.

Attached: waifu.png (480x360, 203K)

>bullshit on it not releasing
>It was all a scam
I'm confused here

Is this reddit? Because I cringed.

is this your ass?
because I just nut on it

To answer your question you first need to ask what the sell price is? The Vita launched at $299 but that was back when people were paying only $700 for a flagship smart phone. Now people are paying over a grand for a flagship smartphone, so I think the launch price of the vita can be increased to $399. Consoles, including hand-helds, are usually sold at a loss so lets say the actual cost of the device would be $450-$500. So now you need to look for what hardware goes around for that cost and you have your answer.

i'm curious to see if any mobile and laptop hardware in the 2020s will allow for a new competitor in the laptop and handheld market

Can someone explain hacking a switch to me?
The only reason I would buy one for how much it costs is if I am able to easily hack it to get games and emulators for free, is it possible to hack it for offline games then wipe everything and play multiplayer games that I buy?

>is it possible to hack it for offline games then wipe everything and play multiplayer games that I buy
Yes, there's also a sort of emunand now that last time i checked nintendo hasn't been banning yet.
Main issue is getting an exploitable switch. You have to get one of the older models, your local stores might have them but if you buy online you will probably get stuffed.

>399 for a handheld
That's precisely one of the reasons the vita failed and i know these things can be sold at loss at the beginning but 150$ per unit? Damn

I hope the dogshit tegra switch was below $300 to manufacture

You have zero clue as to how this works.

> only reason xbox and ps4 used AMD hardware is because mobile APUs from AMD where not selling and they could get them for literally 5$.

The Jaguar architecture existed primarily on paper when Sony and Microsoft started to cast around for CPU architectures for their next products. AMD's price for the PS4 APU, for example, was around $99 per chip, and they made about $5 in profit. Inside of a year, AMD's production costs for the PS4 decreased, and they started earning profits in the range of $10 per APU. It's a similar story for the Xbox One.

> people who think PS5 will use ryzen are retarded it would never happen if you can sell a cpu for 300$ it will never ever ever go in a console.

AMD's production cost for a Summit Ridge die is around $70. Add in the company's margins, packaging, shipments, and then the distributor's and retailer's mark-up, and you get to $300 easily. If both console makers want a Summit Ridge chip in their consoles and can guarantee AMD orders of up to, say, 40 million units for the console's lifecycle, AMD will happily sell them a fully functional Ryzen 7 chip for $99.

> just like 360 used PowerPC because mac rejected it and it failed.

The Xbox 360 launched in 2005, and had been in development for more than two years. Apple announced their intention to drop PowerPC late in 2005, and plans had been in the pipeline since 2004. Timeline-wise, it isn't possible, or at the least likely, that Apple's rejection of PowerPC had anything to do with the Xbox 360's development.

IBM made the Xenon processor inside the Xbox 360, and Xenon is closely related to Cell, which Sony picked up for the PS3. The only reason why Microsoft was using PowerMacs at the time to develop prototypes for the Xbox 360 was because the core architecture was PowerPC-based, and PowerPC code can run on Xenon.

Apple dropped IBM as a supplier because Intel offered them a better deal financially.

The contact pins for the Joy-Con on the right-hand side of the console can be bridged and it exposes a side-channel attack via a service menu that is triggered on every Tegra-based device when those pins are bridged.

100% success rate on all currently shipping Switches, but Nintendo has patches out to fix it.

Actually, I might be thinking of an older hack. The most recent one exposes a USB flaw that either requires that you bridge pins with a special USB connector using the fail0verflow method, or use the Fusée Gelée exploit to do it.

The attack itself is exploiting a vulnerability in the Tegra RCM mode.