Controlling a headless Raspberry Pi through Telnet

Hi, I'm a Pi newfag. I've got a Raspberry Pi hooked up to my personal network, along with my laptop computer. It's headless at the moment, because the only working monitor I have is my laptop's screen. I was thinking the best option would be to control both computers from my laptop, using PuTTY to connect to the Pi's Telnet port and remote control it that way.

I've got an SD card with the NOOBS files on it inserted into the Pi (it's not "installed" yet). Trying to get it up and running. I was thinking I might be able to do the whole installation and configuration from the CLI using PuTTY. Problem is I just did an NMap scan and all the ports are closed. So I'm gonna need to modify the contents of the SD card directly from my laptop before I can have a working Pi to Telnet to in the first place.

I guess my main question is: How do you do the whole NOOBS installation anyway? Do you have to do it on the Raspberry Pi directly, or can you do it from an auxiliary computer? Is it basically just another filesystem that you boot from, like the hard drive of a traditional computer?

Attached: raspberry-pi.jpg (939x528, 50K)

Other urls found in this thread:

hackernoon.com/raspberry-pi-headless-install-462ccabd75d0
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi
twitter.com/AnonBabble

NOOBS has a boot partition which boots the installer. The installer then unpacks the Linux image onto the SD card, overwriting itself.
What you can do is Google to find a working Linux image for Raspi, then write that to SD card and edit the files under /etc to suit your needs.
Of course you need something to mount the ext4 filesystem...

Tutorial:
hackernoon.com/raspberry-pi-headless-install-462ccabd75d0

Use ssh

Noobs is an installer and you need a screen plugged in to use it. The instructions will work but I'd recommend getting the full desktop image as the lite one can be a timesink for newbs. You'll need a 16Gb+ sd card. Remember to sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade ASAP.

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi

>raspberry pi users
>fat, weeaboo, pedophile, neckbeard scum

Attached: 1537813190428.webm (964x576, 2.37M)

Personally, I just don't fuck with NOOBs. Just get the minimal Raspbian image and put it on your SD card with Etcher. From there, all you need to do is place an empty file on the newly created boot partition of the SD card named "ssh" with no extension; that'll enable SSH. Then you can remote in and do whatever the fuck you want.

Attached: 1523741635465.gif (500x500, 198K)

don't use telnet ever

>TEL
>FUCKING
>NET
WHAT FUCKING YEAR IS IT

Attached: 1538681223513.jpg (428x929, 58K)

Minibian master race.

The Pi has SSH disabled by default. Install Raspbian using Noobs or whatever. Once that is done pop out the SD card and edit the .ini files in the boot folder so the ssh service is enabled upon boot. After that just ssh into the Pi for any work you want to do.

this
i dont know why anyone would literally label themselves as a NOOB when its just as easy to GOOGLE THE FUCKING QUESTION

anyone play with fedora arm?

Anyone know how to make a compiler in a website that will control Sonic pi on my rpi?

This is cute.
Cute.

I dunno, I'm just used to Telnet, since I use it for all my MUDs/BBSs. I've never actually used SSH before, since I never had the occasion to do so.

>This is cute.
>Cute.
Also a large sub-sample of /g in particular and Jow Forums in general.

>Telnet
kek

I'm a MUDder, okay? Telnet is what I'm used to. It just didn't occur to me when I first wrote the OP that SSH would be better for home server use.

Telnet lol wtf is this? The 1800's? Back to your time machine, Mr. Babbage.

>telnet? *sips*.. yep, now THATS a network protocol

Attached: 1523645776631.jpg (633x640, 47K)

>zoomers shitting on the based 23
>putting all their trust into SSH
not memeing , I remember when you could SSH into most iphones because normies would have no idea how to fucking change passwords

why would you use a certificate system on a device with no rtc

You have to install raspbian on it. Using an image clone tool linked on the download page since windows lacks the many built in tools other os's have
Then simply make a file called "ssh"in your "boot"partition that appears on windows. It's fat32 so it'll appear.
That's all

Wrong
Wrong
Wrong
Correct
Correct

>telnet
>telnet
>telnet
>telnet

We use Putty at our work. Just use multiview senpai