/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Create a parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Learn how to build a PC
Search youtube for a guide for your socket

Want help?
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses; eg Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose and graphics card pairing.
>Don't use Speccy. Use HWinfo, SIV, etc.
>For Win7 in Ryzen, refer to pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

CPU
>R3 2200G - Bare minimum gaming(dGPU optional)
>R5 2400G/i5-8400 - Consider IF on sale
>R5 2600/X - Good gaming & multithreaded work use CPUs
>Wait for 9700k - Almost surely best for 1080p gaming
>R7 2700/X - Best high-end gaming/mixed usage on a non-HEDT platform
>Threadripper/Used Xeon - HEDT

RAM
>8GB - Enough for most gaming use
>16GB - Standard for heavy use
>32GB - If you have to ask, you don't need this
>CPUs benefit from fast RAM; 2933MHz+ is ideal

Graphics cards
>RTX 2000 cards are worse performance per $ than current GPUs. Just a marketing gimmick to rip off idiots
>Avoid cheap MODELS ie MSI Armor (Mk2 is ok), Gigabyte G1/Wf, ASUS dual, and others which have small heatsinks and low quality fans
1080p
>RX 570/580 /w Freesync or 1060 6GB are standard 1080p 60fps+ options
>1050 3Gb or RX560 4Gb for lower settings and/or older games
>GTX 1070Ti/Vega 56 if seeking higher FPS /w a high hz monitor
1440p
>Vega 56; 1070Ti/1080 if you already have Gsync
>GTX 1080Ti if seeking higher FPS /w a high hz monitor
>Upscale from 1620-1800p. Maybe 2080Ti, but awful value.
OpenCL use
>Vega 64

Storage
>Backup before using StoreMi
>Consider getting a larger SSD (better GB/$) instead of small SSD & large HDD
>2TB HDDs are barely more $ than 1TB
>M.2 is a form factor, NOT a performance standard
>NVMe are not for gaming; See "More"

Display
>Consider 75hz minimum; 60hz are mostly old models.
>Always consider FreeSync with AMD cards
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING

Previous thread
More
rentry.co/pcbg-more

Attached: firefox_2018-09-25_20-53-51.jpg (3840x1631, 369K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/bFzTtg
pcpartpicker.com/list/vjzrtg
pcpartpicker.com/list/jNfzCb
pcpartpicker.com/list/TjPBxG
pcpartpicker.com/product/MMyxFT/pny-geforce-gtx-1080-8gb-video-card-vcggtx10808pb
pccasegear.com/products/27879/noctua-nf-p14s-redux-140mm-1500rpm-pwm-fan
pcpartpicker.com/list/ZpcKkd
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152047
tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-3769292/cpu-edc-ryzen-2600.html
dsogaming.com/news/assassins-creed-odyssey-will-not-work-on-cpus-that-do-not-support-avx/
amazon.com/dp/B079QXDYRX/
amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07B6H4GNY/ref=psdcmw_13896597011_t1_B079QXDYRX
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

give me a silent case that can take 200mm front fans

pcpartpicker.com/list/bFzTtg
Halp with my 1440 build, this is my first time. Also, are kb+m worth spending money on or will cheaper models be decent?

Added memory true latency formula to the more paste.

Poor configuration, maybe? Or something buggy. Or maybe it's the games you played. Youtube has a lot of guides for Dolphin shit.

kek

Better value build: pcpartpicker.com/list/vjzrtg
Can replace SSD with a 1Tb one and add the gay RGB RAM if you want.
You don't need the 2700X for gayming, especially at 1440p. 2600/X is good.
I'd also spend more money on B-die for a 2600X before going up to a 2700X without B-die if higher end is the goal.

pcpartpicker.com/list/jNfzCb

Any glaring faults, I might OC the GPU? I just want to stop procrastinating with the buying ;_;

Ty senpai, thought thread got pruned, ignore repost

Obligatory cute GPU awareness post.

Attached: 14-137-308-V02.jpg (1280x960, 79K)

>pcpartpicker.com/list/TjPBxG

I wouldn't spend the extra 40 bux on the 2600X when the 2600 can hit 4GHz

pcpartpicker.com/product/MMyxFT/pny-geforce-gtx-1080-8gb-video-card-vcggtx10808pb

that's a 1080 for cheaper than the vega. Vega is about 1070 class

2600X can sustain high frequency with lots of cores running a lot better than the 2600, so that's only true for single threaded use.

thoughts on buying used?
been able to find some 580s for the price of a 560 around here

also have been able to find a new 570 for the same price although this is not a common ocurrence

Muh undervolt™ overclock® flashbios©

Ya and gay RAM was in reference to the RGB in the last build.

1st step to becoming a girl is buying that.

>claims $430 is lessthan $405
>claims that vega is "1070 class".
>hopes people don't notice it's a blower card
Too many lies in one post. Not going to fool anyone.

Verify that it works in person before buying it.
There's way too many dead cards that get pawned off onto people this way.

It's worse for RX400 series and original 1000 series cards though because those can be so old that they have no warranty. So instead of RMAing, people will sell busted cards used. For an RX580, it probably still has warranty and it wouldn't make much sense to do that. But a lot of people still pull them off mining rigs without testing them.

Is an RX 580 really much better than an RX 570? I;m thinking about getting an rx 570 8gb

Is anyone actually autistic enough to try and do all these stuff? I'm assuming 99% of people here have 0 knowledge on how to properly do these things without fucking up. There's that one guy who is like "hur just undervolt/overclock/flashbios bro vega is the best" probably doesnt even know how to do it himself.

If you get RX570, just get a 4Gb. Overclocked RX570 about matches the RX480. Digital Foundry had a good review of it.
RX580 is about 10-15% faster. That should be plain enough to see.

10-15% doesn't sound like much, but it can often be the difference between just a bit over console quality settings at 1080p 60fps instead of high-maxed settings.
It's a little extra "future proofing", and the RX580's higher memory bandwidth helps for 1440p.

Ultimately depends on price and wants. If there is a decent RX570 4Gb for $180, whereas the cheapest non-shitty model RX580 8Gb is $240, then the former is obviously better value if you're just doing 1080p.

I wouldn't bother getting 8Gb with an RX570 since GCN cards (besides Fury) handle running out of VRAM pretty well for the rare occasion that a game at 1080p on the settings the card can run actually uses more than 4Gb.

the ad says that it was used for gaming for 10 months, i can return the product withing 7 days of usage regardless of warranty

with that being said i also found an 1060 3gb for the same price and 2 years of warranty, so maybe i should go for that one instead?

I dont know how much of a meaningful difference there is between the two of them

may i ask why you have been posting about that card the past 4 threads? ik its cute but i dont understand why your spamming it

It literally takes

Why not?

Attached: 14-125-951-Z01.jpg (640x480, 27K)

pccasegear.com/products/27879/noctua-nf-p14s-redux-140mm-1500rpm-pwm-fan

Thoughts on these fans for a Define C? Or should I be looking at a different kind of 140mm Noctua fan?

the 1060 is being marketed as new, which is weird considering the price but the site im buy at is really safe so im not that worried

now whats so bad about the 3GB? franky i wouldnt go for these cards cause im on a budget cpu, but the lower cards are about the same price so i might as well

P1* are static Pressure. You need them in front of a radiator or heatsink.
F1* are airFlow. These are the ones you want to put on your case.

Attached: noctua_nf_a12x25_pq_compared (1).png (601x774, 79K)

How does my build look? Open to all suggestions, backed please no fanboy shilling.

Replace this with something reliable. I don't care about modular.

My i7 860 is really showing it's age in single threaded stuff, already have a RX 580 so don't need a new GPU. Do we know anything about Zen 2's core/thread count and power consumption? I want to get a 2600X but if Zen 2 is right around the corner then I'm not sure if I'd want it, and if current B450 motherboards would be able to handle new CPUs without burning into flames.

NF-F12 PPC or F12 PWM?

>Do we know anything about Zen 2's core/thread count and power consumption?
Don't think there's any information, but it would be a bit surprising if they changed the number of cores in their CCXs

zen2 is likely to be the same TDP for 35% higher performance, or half the power consumption for the same performance, depending on SKU.

Still probably going to be 8c/16t top end. I don't put much weight in the 12 and 16 core rumors. If it happens, that's nice, but 8c/16t is enough for mainstream and they just need lower memory latency and higher clocks.
I think most in the tech industry are expecting AMD to separate their designs for consumer and enterprise, using chiplets for ROME.

Anything as good as the B450M Mortar or the Tomahawk should be fine even for a 12 core considering they still probably wouldn't be higher than 105W TDP unless AMD does some new Black Edition SKUs. Even still, it'd run them stock fine, just maybe not OC'd. You want to BCLK OC Ryzen now with XFR2, anyway...

The 3Gb card gets bad 1%/0.1% minimums in A LOT of games. Talking sub 40fps, even sub 25fps, minimums in lots of games on console quality settings, not maxed. Even pretty optimized stuff like Titanfall 2. Just DON'T. That shit is garbage.
Only 3Gb card for buying is the 1050 if cheap. 3Gb is not enough VRAM for the chip performance of the cut down 1060.

Poorfag here, can't decide between GPU or RAM upgrade.
Saw an RX 570 for sale ~$150, is it worth the upgrade from my R9 280X? Most games are still playable for me (at low everything, of course), and planning on dumping my old i3-6100 to something better for a new build. Would I be better off buying another bunch of RAM for a total of 16GB (versus my current 8GB)?

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152047

Should I buy stuff all my parts on Black Friday or wait for price drops after they release new cpu's and cards?

>just go watch youtube, it's so easy to learn, FREE real estate

I hate this new generation. I hate them so goddamned much. Every time some Gen Z shit eater tells me that building a PC is as easy as putting together legos, the aneurysm in my brain gets a little bigger. As far as I can tell Legos don't:

>require certain parts to be compatible with each based on the company that made them
>require you wear a special bracelet that negates static damage, which is super effective against machines
>making sure the number of sockets are right
>doubly making sure there really is no static build up or your computer is fucked loser
>making sure the software for each lego piece has the right driver and that everything for each piece is installed correctly
>making sure the lego is actually a good lego that can play the games you want without realizing you just wasted an egregious amount of money on a Lego set with half the lego pieces it requires
>worrying about how to cool each lego with the right setup, using a water cooler, or peripheral fans that must be bought extra elsewhere
>making sure no magnets come within a five male radius of your machine or you are fucked kiddo
>putting the legos into place extremely carefully, otherwise you just bricked whatever hardware that socket is attached to
>finding the right screws and place to screw in all of these small parts and pieces

I could go on, but basically, most, if not all YouTube tutorial videos are so incompetently made, with dumb 5 minute intros to get to the part that's relevant to you, or filled with terrible oratory that doesn't explain anything properly or concisely.

Attached: fae31e70a8e2713bc39b8d673ae485a3--so-funny-funny-pics.jpg (236x236, 7K)

see Yes. RX570 is a decent upgrade over the 280X and that's a good price.
Much better video decoding performance, better perf:watt, supports Freesync, and is something like 35-55% higher FPS depending on game.

But if it's a question of an extra 8Gb of VRAM vs the new card... I'd say get the RAM and keep using the 280X. Just get an RX670 or RX680 (12nm Polaris refresh) when Navi is about to launch and those go on sale.
Your current CPU is bottlenecking your GPU as it is sometimes I'm sure, anyway.

>I hate that there is millions of people younger than I who know more and learn more quickly and easily

Just tried a 4K IPS Fressync monitor and it felt perfectly smooth while in the Freesync range. So smooth it made curious about the need for higher refresh rates.

Does running games at 144hz really result in THAT much smoother of an experience it's worth forgoing 4k for it?

Attached: Romance.jpg (744x975, 301K)

Thanks, yeah the CPU is a huge bottleneck, always the first (and frequent) to spike to 100%. The more I think about it, upgrading that will squeeze more out of the GPU anyway. Thanks m8.

It's personally preference. And image quality (resolution, HDR, etc) versus refresh rate.

Also depends on game. Like Forza looks fine at 30fps or 40fps. It's made to. But most PC racing games look a lot better at at least 120+.
Competitive FPS, it's a big difference having higher framerate as well.

Yep, I had a high end 7970 which was better than most 280X. I got about 10-25% higher average FPS going from a 2500k to a 1600X, and 0.1% minimums were incomparably better by hundreds of percent difference.
Wound up upgrading the 7970 as well though after a year because it's so hot and I live in FL.

thermaltake suppressor f31/f51

cooling performance is shit

I am looking for a CPU cooler recomendation $30-40 range for a 2600x, currently using the stock cooler and the temps are fine, around 60-65°C when playing games but is a bit too noisy for me, i just want something more silent. Hopefully more than one option since not every store has every cooler and i am not from america. Thanks in advance.

Attached: 1527541307690.gif (270x188, 1.78M)

No idea what PPC stands for.
PWM is a 4 pin plug that allows you to monitor and change fan curves very precisely with a program.

Ram is the last thing you should upgrade. Especially now that the prices are so high and the GPU bubble is finally over.

not worse than other silent cases
silent cases with great cooling performance don't exist

>what is the R6

Cooler master Hyper 212 Evo. It's popular, so even stores in other countries should have it, good, and cheap.

Is there a site like PCPartsPicker or Pricewatch that actually shows all prices?

Fuck I want to buy this so bad. Problem is I only have $300 until Friday (in between paydays) not including the bit of money I have saved up for snow tires. Fuck me in the goat ass, not sure what to do.

Attached: rx 580 8gb pulse.png (1133x436, 152K)

580 8gbs are constantly on sale for around that price, why do you need this one?

do you need the 8gb card?

what res do you run? the 4gb card is more than enough for 1080p ultra or 1440p med/high.

Yeah I was hearing a lot about the 12-16 core rumors, but I guess if I get a 2600X and a Tomahawk I could upgrade to 7nm+ in 2020 just so I don't upgrade my CPU a year after. Another concern was if B450 boards would get BIOS updates to support new CPUs coming out then, though Tomahawk is popular so I guess it would be popular enough to possibly get one.

Attached: 1536769924575.jpg (1024x681, 69K)

Just because I started shopping for a GPU recently and I see the sale ends on Monday. I didn't know they go on sale often. If that is the case, I can just save money and wait.

I run 1920x1080 on an older 39 inch LCD TV. Display is shit brand, Insignia, but I think I lucked out with an OK one because I've had it since 2012.

i'd get the 4gb card if you want to save a few bux. i play at 1440p with my rx 580 4gb card and it does well in the triple A titles i've played.

I just installed a 2600 and ryzen master is showing EDC at 100% when idle. I can't use ryzen balanced power plan because I'm using win 7. How do I fix this? Does it even need to be fixed?

RTFM and don't watch youtube shills

Scythe Kotetsu II / Mugen 5, Thermalright True Spirit 120/140 Direct / Macho (Direct), be quiet Pure Rock, EKL Brocken 3/ECO, ...

r6 does have decent cooling performance at best, and a lot of it just due to having already three fans preinstalled
e.g. meshify c with 2 140mm intake fans will run a lot cooler
why do you want a front 200mm fan anyways? 2 or 3 120mm/140mm fans will perform the same or likely better, so you could just go with the r6

Just googled "cpu EDC" and here is the first result.
tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-3769292/cpu-edc-ryzen-2600.html

Why do you have to be an autist and come here?

i'm making an LGA1151 asus z270-ws computer with an i7-7700k delidded and oc'ed to all core 5ghz stable (EASY numbers) with a nine-120mm-fan radiator in a wooden case so that i can make bigger insaner real-time audio processing chains and do adobe shit, because 4 cores is the most that anything but rendering can use, and the i7-7700k is literally the best processor in existence right now for workstations. i have a 16 core dual xeon computer i can use for network rendering. only pro tools HDX rigs benefit from many-coredness for audio but that's 20,000 dollars to get your foot in the door. 64gb corsair dominator 3200mhz ram. here's a rough sketch i'm working on in autocad. i've done this before. that's all.

Attached: continuing.png (2080x840, 609K)

Tbh the best thing about next years mobo and cpu combos will be DDR5 is gonna be availible most likely.

The 4gb is a little bit cheaper, but I've always been in the school of thought that if you are going to spend a bunch of money, might as well spend a little bit more to get something better. Problem with that is you could have $500 in parts that is suddenly $750 or more.

Attached: rx 580 4gb prices.png (863x550, 62K)

need a monitor for photo editing, gaming and streaming, don't know which one exactly

>GTX 1060 6GB
>144hz
>eyecare (blue light

is it value to get a g-sync one?

help

I thought AMD said that AM4 will be easily upgradable or no socket changes? If DDR5 is available that works well on Zen 2 I guess I'll be completely skipping DDR4.
>Just Wait™

07-20G is the best you can pick. Everyone will tell you that. I have the 01-20G(Special Edition), very happy with my purchase.

nah, think about your purchases before you do them, live within your means also. no point spending 2k on a pc when you use it for facebook and dota. theres no performance difference between the 4gb and 8gb card. wait for one to be on special (i got mine for 170)

DDR5 will probably be on "AM4+" in 2021 or so. Similar to how Skylake could be for DDR3 or DDR4.

Those are shit models of 4Gb cards except the XFX which is only $10 less.
Better to spend $10 more for the Pulse and 8Gb.

But RX680 (12nm refresh) are also coming this year it looks like. I'd only get any mainstream range card right now if you're getting a really good deal, like that $180 RX570 earlier, or $200 RX580 4Gb earlier.

AM4 will remain until 2020.

>i7-7700k
AHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAH

Here’s an obscure question;
Suppose I want a Meshify case but not with that silver Fractal logo.
Could I replace it with some gaming related badge? Any suggestions?

>guy comes in at my retail store 1 (ONE) day after 2080 cards are announced
>uhh yeah I preordered a 2080ti yesterday and I was wondering what kind of power supply I need and what kind of frames I can get on fortnite
>literally thought he was memeing
>mwf he's serious

I recommended a 750W to be safe but told him to just wait till benchmarks.

Attached: bloot.jpg (483x507, 38K)

>intel shill keeps debasing OP to shill Pentiums for gayming
>dual core without AVX is all you need!
>literally won't boot games at all
dsogaming.com/news/assassins-creed-odyssey-will-not-work-on-cpus-that-do-not-support-avx/
Glad that faggot is gone.

If I'm installing Windows 7 on a new "unsupported" motherboard, can I use these for the install process or do I need a native ps/2 kb+m? I know that you can put usb drivers on the install iso but it seems its hit or miss

Attached: index.jpg (283x178, 6K)

>Meshify case
provide picture of what you're talking about.

I plan on getting a 2700x, are the decent coolers i can get for under $100?

BUY INTEL GOYIM

Attached: 1515174374464.jpg (888x768, 169K)

>too dumb to use a search engine

Attached: 1538860761293.png (560x632, 137K)

amazon.com/dp/B079QXDYRX/

why

I do work with GIS programs (which are multicore and very demanding) and do some light gaming (but the games I play are usually multicore or gpu bottlenecked anyway), do I want a 2700x or 2600x?

The local microcenter is selling 2700x for 270 or so and the 2600x for 190.

nah just too lazy.

nh d15 or just use the stock cooler

Depends what you want. Air or water.

I got my evga clc 240 for $80 on black Friday last year. The fans it comes with are garbo but it keeps my 1600 at 3.8ghz 1.38v under 50c while gaming.

If you want something that's gonna work well for air a evo 240 works well. Or a be quite or noctua air cooler.

>AMD Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT 730 2GB

Attached: 1504573419706.jpg (373x391, 39K)

>mfw the reviews are positive

> 4.3/5 stars

Attached: 1535931819584m.jpg (1024x1024, 107K)

Stuff like this just makes me want to make custom pcs and sell them on newegg.

>amazon.com/dp/B079QXDYRX/
lmfao.
Most of those reviews seem to be fake
>Runs most games at high/ultra settings 45-60fps
>on a GTX 730 which is weaker than the iGPU

You can get one for under $50.
Cryorig H7 and add on a second fan.
Or thermralrite true 140 can have a second fan added too, I think, 140mm at that. Though desu I don't like most cases which can actually fit a cooler that large.
Bequiet has a 230W TDP cooling down blower, too. That shit will cool threadripper though I don't think it has TR4 mounting.

>Most of those reviews seem to be fake
Bullshit, I posted this positive review of the "CYBERPOWERPC Gamer Master GMA7600CPG Desktop Gaming PC (AMD Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT 730 2GB, 8GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB HDD, 802.11AC WiFi & Win 10 Home)Black" for $669.99

Attached: firefox_2018-10-07_21-51-11.png (880x160, 18K)

669 for that?

Yikes.

That's the price you pay for a quality gaming rig, sorry poorfag.

You are saying the 4GB version is better than the 8GB..? Or just the NITRO version in general is best?

Good point. I've got a very easy life though. If I don't spend the money on computer parts, my girl will spend it on art supplies...

I feel like there are too many versions of GPU to keep up with. I don't need the "best" card. I'm sure literally any on either of these lists would be better than my R7 260X 2GB or current GTX 1050 2GB. Both were OK 5 years ago, hell they both still work I just know it could be better. I figure if I get a nicer GPU now, when I upgrade the core of the system somewhere down the road I won't have to worry about GPU upgrade. Although I don't really see myself upgrading MOBO, CPU, and RAM any time soon.

Attached: rx 580 8gb prices.png (901x681, 83K)

Depends on motherboard if you need it. The stock cooler can hit its max ipc rather easily with the right mobo.

This shit is worth maybe 400$ to make considering you buy windows. Maybe 450$ to sell, 500$ if you offer shipping and are a bitch.
How do I report that shit.

>If I don't spend the money on computer parts, my girl will spend it on art supplies...

>letting your gf spend your money
oh boy. you suck. save your money because now it's art supplies and next it'll be fancy clothes/nigger tier jewels

Report them for what? It's a legitimate product, stop fighting for the average stupid consumer.

Cleaned my garage and found a tower with an Intel Q660, Asus EAH3870X2 and 8 gb ram...

workable for anything modern? I idont really play high end AAA stuff

It's kids using their parents credit card for that.

More like I'm spending her money but she considers it "ours". We've been together almost 7 years so its nothing new.

chuck a ssd in it and it's a decent rig, but you're better off with a 2200g based system if you want a decent rig that plays older titles.

sounds great, enjoy spending her money for once.

Are you kidding?!
They are selling a 8400 with a 580 for $30 more, you dare call that decent when the iGPU is better than the dGPU.
amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07B6H4GNY/ref=psdcmw_13896597011_t1_B079QXDYRX
Better be meming faggot.

i think you posted to the wrong person guy

Pulse is an okay model considering it's "low end" and better than the other low end cards, I just don't think $240 is a great deal on it. It's got a much smaller heatsink than the Nitro. I think it's more comparable to the midrange XFX cards.

Attached: pulse vs nitro.jpg (700x466, 49K)

Damn that makes me want to get the Nitro version...