/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread - #EleNão Edition

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Search: qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.
*Many free software projects have an active bugzilla where you can check and report errors.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous thread:

Attached: Lula_e_Stallman.jpg (640x427, 83K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AAP4N3KyLmM
spinics.net/lists/netdev/msg519567.html
100.64.52.149:8000/mpd
100.64.52.149:8000/mpd']
100.64.52.149:8000/mpd:
youtube.com/watch?v=Sk9TatW9ino
github.com/emersion/grim
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I'm a GNU/Linux beginner and I ran into a problem with this HDD that gnome-disks wouldn't format because it "failed to meet partition size on device". I really wanted to format it with LUKS+ext4.
So I went on the Arch Wiki and used the command: cryptsetup -v luksFormat to create the header and then went to the gnome-disks, mounted the partition and then I created the ext4 partition.
Did I do the right thing or is something wrong with this?

I cant seem to get ffmpeg to notice my gpu to use hwaccel. I have enabled it in ffmpeg manually but it never notices my card. It an older card but is supported from the feature matrix from nvidia.It supports v2.0.

youtube.com/watch?v=AAP4N3KyLmM
Stallman is based and redpilled.

Why does kernel 4.19rc6 crash my firewall/NAS/server box? It's very annoying. 4.18.8 seems fine. The setup on it is four realtek cards (r8169), two in a bond, and that bond and the other two in a bridge and then I have a Intel NIC uplinking to the ISP.

I know one major change is that the r8169 cards now use the fancy new PHY infrastructure. Why would they do this? I worked fine before.

Attached: IMG_20181008_013827.4.19.0-rc6-ChaeKyung-April-00336-gc1d84a1b42ef-r.jpg (3200x2345, 2.19M)

Can't you change the PHY setting on the kernel compilation settings?

Why are you using RC kernels on your nas?

You have a kernel panics

no, it's not optional in kernel 4.19, they are going to force you into using the fancy new PHY and they won't let you have a working R8169 driver without it,
spinics.net/lists/netdev/msg519567.html

>You have a kernel panics
I am aware of it. You're not helping.

>You're not helping.
i dont have the genetic mutation to be able to teleport to your location and read your entire strace.

>force you
Revert their patches

>not optional in kernel 4.19,
Shit if true.

>Revert their patches
Do you have a patch to revert these patches?

I'm trying to set up a remote MPD http streaming server on my computer, but I cannot connect to the port. I checked and it says on my computer that port 8000 is listening but I just cant connect, and yes I am on the same network
$ sudo netstat -tulpn | grep LISTEN
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:6600 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 2240/mpd
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:53 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 502/connmand
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:22 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 788/sshd
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:631 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 508/cupsd
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:8000 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 2240/mpd
tcp6 0 0 :::80 :::* LISTEN 793/apache2
tcp6 0 0 ::1:53 :::* LISTEN 502/connmand
tcp6 0 0 :::22 :::* LISTEN 788/sshd
tcp6 0 0 ::1:631 :::* LISTEN 508/cupsd

Here is (some of) my /etc/mpd.conf (the full thing wont fit, I ommitted specifying my files and directories)
bind_to_address "127.0.0.1"
port "6600"
auto_update "yes"

volume_normalization "yes"

audio_output {
type "httpd"
host "localhost"
name "HTTP audio stream"
encoder "vorbis" # optional, vorbis or lame
port "8000"
bind_to_address "0.0.0.0" # optional, IPv4 or IPv6
mount "/mpd"
bitrate "320" # do not define if quality is defined
format "44100:16:1"
always_on "yes"
tags "yes"
max_clients "0" # optional 0=no limit
}

audio_output {
type "fifo"
name "fifo"
path "/home/azmi/.mpd/mpd.fifo"
format "44100:16:2"
}

anyone here can help?

Change the "+" to "-" in the patches

Well duh, I wanted one patch already doing this or at least know which patches to target.

You dont want to bind to localhost, you want to bind to your ip on the network.
Right now you're only binding to localhost loopbacks instead of being on the network.

i tried changing it to my hostname, my network ip, and i even tried removing the config specification entirely, it doesnt make a difference

>#elenĂ£o edition

You need go back to twitter, fucking mongoloid.

Hey everyone. I am currently unable to install Debian. I don't have a flashdrive, only an external harddrive. I tried putting all the files on the livecd and booting from there, but it doesn't work. When I run the installer and go to Advanced startup settings on Windows to continue my Debian installation, it shows this exact error that I saw on the forums. What should I do?

Attached: pJ7bN.jpg (1024x768, 92K)

Fuck off niggger OP's pic is based

did you check the wildcard? looks like it is at 0.0.0.0, meaning it will only see 0.0.0.0 address.
you need 3 255's on your second parameter (right next to 0.0.0.0:6000 address..)

I wanted to add that right now I need a Linux environment because it is just really difficult to do things on Windows at my school. Most people here use Mac and I don't want to have to deal with all the clunky Windows stuff. I am using emacs and other packages for Python and OCaml through Debian on WSL, but it's PAINFULLY slow (especially i/o and buffering)

you never formatted your main HD

not quite sure i follow, i dont have a 0.0.0.0:6000, nor do i know where to put the second parameter (or if it even takes a second parameter)

not sure if this is important but i reset my computer and now port 6600 is on tcp6 and used by init for some reason
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:53 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 479/connmand
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:22 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 586/sshd
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:631 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 481/cupsd
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:8000 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 1082/mpd
tcp6 0 0 :::6600 :::* LISTEN 1/init
tcp6 0 0 :::80 :::* LISTEN 597/apache2
tcp6 0 0 ::1:53 :::* LISTEN 479/connmand
tcp6 0 0 :::22 :::* LISTEN 586/sshd
tcp6 0 0 ::1:631 :::* LISTEN 481/cupsd

i tried connecting using youtube-dl with --verbose for if i got anything useful, but I cant tell
$ youtube-dl --verbose 100.64.52.149:8000/mpd
[debug] System config: []
[debug] User config: []
[debug] Custom config: []
[debug] Command-line args: ['--verbose', '100.64.52.149:8000/mpd']
[debug] Encodings: locale UTF-8, fs utf-8, out UTF-8, pref UTF-8
[debug] youtube-dl version 2018.09.26
[debug] Python version 3.7.0 (CPython) - Linux-4.18.10-arch1-1-ARCH-x86_64-with-arch
[debug] exe versions: ffmpeg n4.0.2, ffprobe n4.0.2, rtmpdump 2.4
[debug] Proxy map: {}
[generic] mpd: Requesting header
WARNING: Could not send HEAD request to 100.64.52.149:8000/mpd: Remote end closed connection without response
[generic] mpd: Downloading webpage
ERROR: Unable to download webpage: Remote end closed connection without response (caused by RemoteDisconnected('Remote end closed connection without response'));

I would like to dualboot

sudo cryptsetup -y -v luksFormat /dev/sdX
sudo cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sdX sdX_crypt
sudo dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/mapper/sdX_crypt
sudo mkfs.ext4 /dev/mapper/sdX_crypt

sudo mkdir /mnt/whatever
sudo mount /dev/mapper/sdX_crypt /mnt/whatever
sudo umount /mnt/whatever
sudo cryptsetup luksClose sdX_crypt

Your file manager should notice the open luks formatted disk and be able to open and close it without creating a mountpoint mounting unmounting and closing the luks partition.

Where can I learn about kernel configuration and its many modules and options?

If you only have one hard drive in your computer and one external hard drive, this is what I would do.
1) Image Debian iso to your external hard drive
2) Shrink NTFS Windows partition by 20G
3) Reboot and select external hard drive with Debian installer
4) Install Linux on that 20G space

It's better to have always connected hard drives, or both Windows and Linux on the same drive.

Download the kernel source and make menuconfig.

How does one take screenshots in wayland. Also, I'm using sway.

Attached: 545483_v9_bb.jpg (1080x1440, 393K)

Yeah I see in the upper screen a description, but is there like a guide to help you safely remove stuff or add stuff? I got problems when I want to activate things like nftables, they don't say exactly what to turn on.

I don't know.

Attached: I-Don't-Know.jpg (1258x1344, 461K)

i switched back to fedora/xfce from gentoo/i3 in search of my long-lost productivity and things seem to have improved

complete control and responsibility over everything really feeds my perfectionism in the worst way and having things set up for you is nice

thanks for reading

Attached: me.jpg (1024x768, 80K)

Its the natural evolution of things. I went back to Xfce and gave the window manager i3 binds.

Is there a way to rid Mint of systemd and make it use something else?
And not something overwhelmingly programmer tier advanced, like something a normal user can do on their own laptop.

i3 is just a pimped tiling wm, other tiling wm actually are better for productivity. Specially the strict tiling wm, those are for work not for fancy screenshots.

I just installed ubuntu on my laptop, which I'm using as my main PC for 3 months.
I like it so far, but I want a more modern, flat theme. I've installed gnome tweaks, what theme should I look at that's very consistent across the whole UI?

>getting rid of systemd
>on mint
Check if you can install the upstart-sysv package, if you can't then you are ool.

XFCE with i3 binds is the best.

Not without breaking a ton of packages that depend on it. Replacing an init system is more trouble than its worth, you're always better off installing something like devuan, void, parabola, gentoo, etc. if Systemd is something you really don't like (i'm sure you have no idea why you even hate it though, just like 80% of this board.)

You guys really need to research on window managers other than i3.

Check this vid youtube.com/watch?v=Sk9TatW9ino
Cool stuff, explain a lot of details on compiling and booting and you can google the rest.

">can't use apt, another process is using it"
>check who
>is systemd-update

>strict tiling wm
this. default dwm is perfection, maybe occasionally change highlight color for a change.

I've tried other tiling wm's but they seem less flexible.
i3 might feel a bit slower to put windows exactly where you want them in some cases, but I think the tradeoff is worth it once you do have things set up as you want.
Plus some tweaks make i3 much more productive. For instance you can mimic the "master" window behavior that other tiling wm's have by using marks.

Anyway, you can't be serious in calling i3 eye candy. My guess is that's just a stretch because you don't like that i3 is popular. Being somewhat popular doesn't make something bad.

I just installed Manjaro and I have a weird issue with a static noise from audio playback that mostly comes through with voices, it's not as noticeable though music. The only results I'm seeing for this problem is stuff about microphones which I don't have plugged in or setting some power saving thing to 0 which it was already at. I'm also just using my X370 motherboard for audio, not some random USB device so I have no idea how to solve this problem.

Attached: 1385370984838.gif (300x300, 2.3M)

mute everything you are not using in your audio settings

I've tried that, it doesn't help.

then it's a hardware problem

If you have multiple audio outputs try plugging into a different one. If that resolves the problem then it's just one of your audio jacks being exposed to too much hardware noise.

I haven't tried other distros yet, but it works fine on Windows.
I have my headphones plugged into an O2 through the audio out on my motherboard, I don't have a soundcard or anything else and I know 100% that there's nothing wrong with my headphones or O2 and again everything works fine on Windows so I'm fairly certain this isn't a hardware issue.

>but it works fine on Windows.
then it's definitely another port the static is coming from

Does anyone here have a descent track point config.
The standard xorg one works like shit.

Attached: 1523802253657.png (817x443, 34K)

Well it has to be hardware. I can't even imagine what the hell an audio driver could be doing to actually _generate_ static from nothing. It could only be amplifying or mixing it from somewhere else.

Could you explain how this could be an issue with Linux, but not Windows?

Is there a way to cat a FILE data-type?
I wanted to see the structure of it

hi, ive been distrohopping until i found solus budgie which im finally comfortable with as my first serious daily OS. But given its not based on other distros, how well is it audited? also, is it licenced as free software? Ive read a lot about popular distros that have been here for years but this seems very new. Can I trust it? Do you?

windows probably recognizes your hardware and mutes whatever you are not using automatically

I've used several different headphones/IEMs and cables and the problem literally only exists on Manjaro. I still have not tried other distros yet.
The only other device I have plugged in is the speakers from my monitor that are muted on the monitor itself and in the mixer.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-10-08_02-14-02.png (809x591, 43K)

what about input devices, muted everything there? next step would be go into pulse modules or alsa-mixer settings if you have that installed too

There are no input devices and this is a completely fresh install of Manjaro. I should also probably mention I'm kinda new to this so have no idea what to do with pulse modules or alsa settings.

Is it worth manually replacing systemd with sysvinit in debian?

Thinking of ditching Arch because of Systemd but still want a pacman based distro.

Should I go with Artix or Parabola? I'm on an intel laptop and would like wifi out of the box.

No, it will just cause more problems. systemd is deeply in debian. If you want to drop systemd, use devuan or antiX

Just use Devuan if you dont want systemd
Honestly i might try out switching everything i have to Devuan soon to see how much difference there is without systemd

>MUH XFCE SCREEN TEARING
Settings>Window Manager Tweaks>Compositor>Synchronize drawing to the vertical blank
gee that was haaaard

I'm currently using arch with kde on my thinkpad and it's really nice. I wanted to free my desktop of windows too, but is arch going to be stable enough? I'd like a stable system on the desktop.
Also I was considering Void, anyone knows if kde works fine without sytemd? Thanks

Remove this pic OP
Lula is a fucking thief
MOOOOOOOOOODS

sup /fglt/, gonna code myself a toggle button for redshift today and put it on my awesomewm bar

Attached: 1538376314531.jpg (960x616, 48K)

use this
github.com/emersion/grim
sway had it's own screen capture tool called swaygrab but they removed it from sway for some reasons.

>walk down dark street
>suddenly lightnings
>nude man appears out of nowhere
>it's stallman who was sent back in time
>the adventure begins

cool

Does the print screen key do anything ootb on some distros? What do you guys use it for?

i get even less tearing and more smoothness with the compositor disabled

I had to replace systemd with Upstarts in an ARM machine, works better but I wish I could go with Devuan on that machine.

It takes a screenshot.

It depends on the DE or WM. I use Ratpoison so I manually set those keys to something else with xbindkeys. Here is what's inside my .xbindkeysrc:
# Switch window
"ratpoison -c 'select $(ratpoison -c "windows "%t"" | dmenu -nf gray -nb black -sf black -sb gray -b -l 20)'"
Super_L

# Launch application
"dmenu_run -nf gray -nb black -sf black -sb gray -b"
m:0x0 + c:135
Menu

# Take screenshot
"import -window root png:$HOME/xwz_$(date "+%Y-%m-%d-%H:%M:%S").png"
m:0x0 + c:107
Print

# Record desktop
"killall -INT avconv 2>/dev/null || avconv -f x11grab -r 25 -s 1280x720 -i :0.0 $HOME/output.webm &"
m:0x0 + c:78
Scroll_Lock

# Mute/unmute volume
"amixer set Master toggle"
m:0x0 + c:121
XF86AudioMute

# Lower volume
"amixer set PCM 5%-"
m:0x0 + c:122
XF86AudioLowerVolume

# Raise volume
"amixer set PCM 5%+"
m:0x0 + c:123
XF86AudioRaiseVolume

As you can see I use that key to take screenshots.

:: Starting full system upgrade...
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: unable to satisfy dependency 'libx265.so=160-64' required by ffmpeg

how do i fix this

installing x265 (2.9-1) breaks dependency 'libx265.so=160-64' required by ffmpeg

some more info, i guess i have an outdated version of something?

What distro is this? Also install libx265.

Get the development files, extension "-dev" on most distros.

arch, tried installing it and it game the error in

WHY MY X SOMETIMES FREEZE BECAUSE AMDGPU OOPS WHEN I TURN COMPUTER MONITORS OFF, LEAVE AND COME BACK AND TURN THEM ON?

This is problem with all new kernels, very annoying, why can't they fix this? Picture related is 4.19rc7. I paid AMD for the technology, I am entitled to have it working perfectly, this is not perfectly, this is total scandal.

Attached: amdgpu-failed-me-again-4.19rc7.jpg (3104x2055, 1.21M)

first message that comes when bad things happen
>RIP: 0010:dal_gpio_service_open+0x1c5/0x220 [amdgpu]

Attached: amdgpu-failed-me-again-4.19rc7-1sterror.jpg (3104x2017, 1.19M)

current x265 version is libx265.so=165-64 right? but ffmpeg seems to want 160?

reinstall of ffmpeg seems to have fixed it

sounds like a temprorary problem while they where pushing changes. Current ffmpeg dependency is libx265.so=165-64

The lib files may be different in Arch, look for the correct name.

This is why I don't use Arch

what would you say are the recommended aria options for youtube dl

hey everyone, i'm trying to switch to linux but i'm struggling with a few things

after trying several distros, i liked KDE neon (Linux 4.18.12), but there are a few things that seem broken on my x230 (i5)

- The media keys (mute, vol+, vol-, mute mic) don't seem to work after a few minutes of startup or after sleep. `xev` shows the events though (XF86Vol... etc) and I can manually change the volume using the taskbar icon

- Whenever I set the taskbar to auto hide, it stays hidden. I played with the focus stealing settings to see if that was it but it happens even on off

- I can't seem to be able to configure diffrent sensitivities for touchpad, trackpad and external mouse. This is not too annoying however.

It would be great if someone could help with these issues. Couldn't find anything relevant to X input in syslog so I don't even know where to poke.

This is why I don't like DEs

>- Whenever I set the taskbar to auto hide, it stays hidden. I played with the focus stealing settings to see if that was it but it happens even on off
I disabed 'Switch desktop on edge' and this shit is not happening anymore.

do you think the media keys stuff is related to KDE? idk man, I'm a recovering macfag so going DEless may not be the best idea for the next few months until i get confortable again with linux, I used to use it daily when ubango still came with gnome2, then became macfag for some reason

>mfw gonna -Syu in a few hours

Attached: 1522411722617s.jpg (250x208, 5K)

To be honest I have no fucking idea what could it be. With DE quirks you either are a fanatic knowing the ins and outs or you are lucky and find a forum explaining or something, there is almost no middle ground in technical terms and that is why I bake my own cake instead.

good luck

Attached: 1538743072115.jpg (961x816, 239K)

With DEs at least you get a tool doing the heavylifting for you, KDE probably has some tool you can click and automagically solves the thing.

Got to know the name of the tool first.

>no, it's not optional in kernel 4.19, they are going to force you into using the fancy new PHY and they won't let you have a working R8169 driver without it,
Then I suppose it's a good thing every other kernel from the last 16 years has a working 8169 driver. Why don't you use one of those?

Alright /fglt/, I've got a question. I unfortunately still need to use Windows on my main computer but I also want to run Linux when I don't absolutely have to use Windows. The issue is I don't want to partition my hard drive and I can't afford to buy a new one. Is there a way to live boot from a USB but be able to keep any changes I make (installing new programs etc.) or do I just have to bite the bullet and get another SSD?