/retro/

No /retro/ thread? Retro thread.
I just unpacked my old VCR from storage and it has a couple of issues with ejecting the tape. Opened it up and it seems that the tape isn't getting spooled back into the cartridge when the eject is pressed. Mangled a tape getting it out.

Attached: 1531472774057.jpg (480x640, 62K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uhj2ZNNGRp0
youtube.com/watch?v=FNaH4L51cts
youtube.com/watch?v=xYuASDiSeDw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Attached: 1517946478716.jpg (1536x2048, 337K)

control--panel.com

Attached: tumblr_nm7v2pVWcy1s2ne6go1_1280.jpg (988x993, 278K)

Now go boot up Maniac Mansion.

Fuck off, gamer.

Someone is triggered here.

Did I trigger you? Poor baby.

youtube.com/watch?v=uhj2ZNNGRp0

8:29

You do know you can just type SYSTEM to exit back to the CP/M prompt.

Attached: 1469315980075.webm (640x360, 2.89M)

That case is so cute.

:(

Attached: tenor.gif (498x264, 1.36M)

It's fucking ugly. But that's just my opinion.

You had to have worn shit like Roos to get it..

Is it really necessary for C64s to be heat sinked? There's a lot of people on Lemon64 peddling the things.

The MOS engineers apparently didn't think heat sinks were needed. Having said that, the VIC-II is the hottest component in a C64 and can approach 160°F. Some modern GPUs are designed to run up to 185°F. The RF shield was nominally supposed to be a heat sink, although some C64s don't have it and others (this seems to have been mostly a thing on PAL units) just had aluminized cardboard.

It also depends on what you're doing it with. Typing text in BASIC won't generate as much heat as a demo or game with lots of elaborate effects. In that regard, the VIC-II is no different than a modern GPU--the harder you work it, the hotter it gets.

>The MOS engineers apparently didn't think heat sinks were needed
Of course they also didn't think autists would still want to use the thing 30+ years later. They probably thought more in terms of the chip would last for its intended 5-7 years when you'd throw out the computer and buy a new one.

>NTSC machine

Attached: 1406507570430.jpg (1000x1000, 282K)

No idea what's happening there, but it looks hella badass.

What's wrong?

Cooler temperatures equals less electro-migration equals longer life. Perhaps.

The HMOS versions used in the C128 and short board C64Cs runs a lot cooler since they use only a 9V power line instead of the 9V and 12V ones on the NMOS VIC-II.

To quote Bil Herd, "I'm surprised that any of these machines are still running after 30 years considering all the problems we had with passivation and other things like that. The average mean time between failures of the machines was rated at about 2-3 years, and that's not counting the ones that never made it out of the factory. But we'd gladly sell you another one if yours broke."

The engineers were good guys, it's just that Captain Jack made them take shortcuts in the interest of being as cheap as humanly possible.

>CRT

Attached: CeeA2S1WAAEWf6d.jpg (400x400, 43K)

Everyone knows all the demos and the best C64 games are PAL stuff.

bump

Yes. Just do it if you're running original hardware. The stuff is probably older than you are by a decade at least.

They should have heat sinked them at the factory. I know that TI always said in the datasheets for the 9918 that a heat sink was recommended.

As someone else said, the RF shield on the VIC-II was supposed to double as a heat sink. If you have one in your C64, you only need to make sure the fingers of the shield are touching the VIC. Some C64s don't have an RF shield and others only have aluminized cardboard.

Wait, how can sitting something in a closet age the components in it?

Attached: 5755.png (1023x212, 16K)

What is this?

Apparently some kind of vending machine.

It's a poorly worded way of saying that electrolytic capacitors dislike being powered off for too long.

Heat isn't so much what damages ICs as it is thermal cycles. The hotter something runs, the greater the heating and cooling it will experience when powered up or down, which can cause stress-related failure.

Attached: Ken-Sama.jpg (600x800, 55K)

Is that one of those intel 8085 educational kits?

tandy color + coco-lisp was the ultimate programming enthusiast computer in the 80's. prove me wrong.

Attached: cocolisp.png (1508x944, 1.82M)

Attached: 0-1472800275948.jpg (1024x1024, 166K)

That's a great case.

He's typing a machine language program and running it.

That's probably a later revision C64 judging by the sharp video quality. Early units looked like there was Vasoline smeared on the screen.

I've considerexld buying one of those. What would be the value of learning this for a hobbyist though? It seems to be mostly computer engineering students who buy them

Are there any retro aesthetic cases with good airflow without customising them?

Basically what said. And you also take care to not plug and unplug your retro machines too often or you can fuck the PSU. I have some SGI machines that are pretty power hungry so I only plug them in and use them once or twice a year. The only ones I actually use are a O2 and Octane, so those just stay plugged in whether they're on or off. They cost me an extra $30 or so a year in electric bills though.

Attached: 1483688533170.png (1000x669, 912K)

I took an old CRT monitor out of the closet that hadn't been used since about 2004 and it fired up nicely. The picture took several seconds to appear, but it was nice, bright, and sharp.

youtube.com/watch?v=FNaH4L51cts

One big problem with emulation is that it can never quite get that perfectly smooth frame rate of the real thing. This is partially because your PC has background processes going that can interrupt the emulator.

If you press the joystick button on a real C64, it simply turns a bit on in a register like flicking a switch. On emulation, it has to go through layers and layers of code to translate the button press into a Windows API call which then goes through 100 more layers of code. The way that modern OSes work is like some kind of Rube Goldberg contraption.

>I have some SGI machines that are pretty power hungry so I only plug them in and use them once or twice a year.
To be fair, the things weren't really designed for people to have them at home, they were intended to be used in an office environment.

hope it's ok to post 8bit music round here
youtube.com/watch?v=xYuASDiSeDw

>If you press the joystick button on a real C64, it simply turns a bit on in a register like flicking a switch. On emulation, it has to go through layers and layers of code to translate the button press into a Windows API call which then goes through 100 more layers of code. The way that modern OSes work is like some kind of Rube Goldberg contraption.
fucking based can confirm

Attached: 1577143298713.png (1123x735, 777K)