Sup Jow Forums, let's get a tox thread going

sup Jow Forums, let's get a tox thread going
you fuckers even still use this shit? haven't seen a thread in over a year

I'll start, add me: [email protected]

anyway, I've gotta add a bit more to this because it's detected as spam. I'm looking for a couple old friends from tox chat, haven't been able to get on in awhile. it's recharged I hope you guys remember me

Attached: logo.gif (289x109, 1K)

I find the lack of people using it unselling. Anons enjoy whining all the time about the botnet and discord but when you tell them to use something that works they start nitpicking.

Attached: who-wants-change-who-wants-to-change-30167135.png (500x522, 110K)

tox is literal garbage, as expected from software written by sper/g/s kneejerking over the NSA leaks. use signal if you're okay with accounts being tied to your phone number or wire otherwise.

I don't see anything wrong with tox other than it's seemingly died off randomly

>use signal
>use gcm
I'm good user. I've got silence for texts, always thought them steering towards IM rather than texts was pretty ridiculous considering their whole thing was encrypting texts and not having to worry about another IM profile to worry about.

>commits still going
>rust rewrite
>died off
fucking Jow Forumslets

discord and tox do not compare in any way
mumble and ts3 do

>its garbage
>use this other thing that's tied to your phone or this thing that only works on a phone

Just admit you don't really give a shit about security

bump

>only works on a phone
wire has native nix packages and a web browser version.
> brainlet doesn't understand that security and usability exist on the same continuum
enjoy talking to nobody, or people contacting you through plaintext SMS because they don't want to use your shitty software

>rust rewrite
What purpose does this serve, other than make it more difficult to integrate and deploy of different platforms?

Tox can never take off in its current form. You can't even send a message to someone that is offline.
Which for iPhone will mean you can only get messages when you have the app open.
For Android it means Tox is hogging resources.

Is there something that's just a nicer front-end to GPG for chat? I mean, the tool (gpg) is already there and works well enough to be used in source code signing, and I believe that even in some package managers to sign packages.
The problem it has though is that sometimes you just want to chat in real-ish time, not send emails back and forth.
And no, Keybase is similar but not quite the same.

>You can't even send a message to someone that is offline.
that's what email is for zoomer

otr and omemo

Thank you!

lol, the tox website is broken

classic Jow Forums project

>if you're okay with accounts being tied to your phone number
Please leave.

in my pleb opinion it should be removed and they should just include all of it in the github readme.md but that's just me

> everybody has the same security and anonymity requirements as me

being distributed is one of the key reasons someone would pick tox over something else

>Implying Jow Forums cares about actual security and isn't just using it as an argument to defend their favorite software on a message board

and it practice it means nothing unless you're expecting signal's data centre to burn down. p2p messaging can be censored by gubmints just the same as centralised communication.

I used to shill Tox but after using it for some time and even getting an IRL friend to try it out I came to the conclusion that a distributed system isn't suitable for IM. It's just too finicky, too prone to issues and poor connection, and whenever someone goes offline (or has only spotty access to data, both of which are extremely common scenarios for messaging intended to be used with mobile phones) they become unreachable.

A decentralised but still server-based system is the way to go. Currently XMPP seems to be the best one, Matrix looks promising but literally the only feature-complete client is horrendous Electron crap with on-by-default (IIRC) telemetry. I'm also not convinced that the Matrix protocol is an improvement over XMPP, but I haven't looked too hard into it.

there has been no good gui for it since μtox 1.9.7

So Jow Forums whats the best alternative to whatsapp then?