How faw away is the ARM desktop?

How faw away is the ARM desktop?

Attached: armchip2-580x358[1].jpg (580x358, 29K)

Other urls found in this thread:

96boards.org/product/developerbox/
news.developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-jetson-agx_xavier-developer-kit-now-available/
github.com/rockchip-linux/libmali
amd.com/en/products/apu/amd-ryzen-7-2800h
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

i guess it's gonna happen as likely as Jow Forums incels get laid.

Attached: gigl.png (710x577, 161K)

There’s no fucking need for one

can't wait for this, or any RISC alternative, you can get a working "desktop" with less that $100, that is a game changer

>Jow Forums
>incels
Jow Forumslacks are mostly white males with families; it's the jobless libtards that are incels

$100 barely covers the RGB LED Controller

You can already get a working ARM desktop with a Raspberry Pi

who the fuck need fucking leds???

cpu architecture changes must be what drives us forward. surely there will be physical limitations of x86 that will be hit at some point.

Umm sweety, it's non-optional.

>How faw away is the ARM desktop?
It's already here.

Attached: gigabyte thunderxstation.png (1400x560, 931K)

RISC can go easy 128-512 cores

>Jow Forums
>white

>Jow Forums
>white males with family
Pic related pol 2017 Meetup

Attached: dcn45ac3xzwy.jpg (1374x1031, 120K)

up to 256 GiB RAM

Fuck ARM, it's just a little better than AMD64 but not by much; it's POWER (something that's already here and usable) or RISC-V what we should be excited for.

Sure thing Jow Forumskid

Attached: 1486598927420.jpg (2048x1536, 419K)

rpi3+ has only 1gig of ram. sadly it is not enough for comfortable web browsing experience.

ps. Error: You seem to have mistyped the CAPTCHA. Please try again.

>can barely handle one real hard drive,And some USB.

Attached: 1486277415582.jpg (4032x3024, 3.79M)

see
64 cores @ 2.2 GHz
256 GiB DDR4 RAM
16x PCI-e

So these are the so called "white supremacists" of the internet? kek, we are doomed.

Attached: pol meetup 2.jpg (1200x799, 202K)

haha literally a bunch of darkies and fat people

As far away as the year of the Linux Desktop.

this one is a joke, right

ARM is in financial troubles.
RISC-V is the future.

2019 MacBooks will be ARM

So this is considered white by american standards? Fucking mutts, I swear.

whats with the milk jugs

Milk is racist meme

You can already get a working desktop for $100 by buying used hardware, and if you want new, then ARM doesn't change anything because you still need an at least an SSD, RAM, a case, and a PSU.

it's not a question of there being "the ARM desktop" but rather ISA becoming mostly irrelevant to the software that runs on it. WebAssembly has a lot of potential in helping to make a great deal of software platform agnostic.

how long such a transition would take is a matter of how much Google/MS/Apple care about making it happen. right now they seem to be mostly concerned with retaining control over user content delivery, so it might take a loooong time before they say, "you know what, you can run our software on any OS, not just on our own iOS/Android/Windows".

Tell me Jow Forums. Do white American really exist like in the stories, or is there no such thing?

Attached: 1510400444848.jpg (900x683, 149K)

Biased sample. Only retards go to these meetings

There is also the Developerbox
96boards.org/product/developerbox/
and the Jetson Xavier
news.developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-jetson-agx_xavier-developer-kit-now-available/

I want to like the cavium stuff, but they always have a proprietary uefi

Jetson has PCIe gen 4
*four*
but NVidia will eventually leave you stranded on an old kernel like they always do
Spec-wise, the Xavier is top of the line

That leaves me with the developerbox
24-core A53
no meltdown/spectre problems, but single core performance is rather poor
Up to 64GBs of RAM
The NVidia 710 is a little weak, but about as nice as you can do on the PCIe gen 2 on that box
Bonus, it's fanless, so if you get a fanless PSU, then it's a completely silent box

I'm currently happy using a Samsung Chromebook Plus v1
It's discontinued now
The only thing that sucks is the disk speed
Even with the fastest microSD you can buy, this thing tops out at ~60MB/s
No GPU is okay if you use something really light like xfce
It would be nice if ARM would open up Mali, but I'm not holding my breath that ever happening

>mom can I go protest with these guys
>ok sweetie, but make sure to wear these

Attached: pol_meetup_2_1.jpg (389x799, 86K)

>Only Jow Forumstards go to these meetings
fixed that for you

lol, no
yes

What case is that?

Attached: gbt_thunderxstation_1.jpg (1000x900, 432K)

Probably never, ARM refuses to even supply binary drivers to users and instead expect OEMs to endlessly pay them for device specific driver updates and support. As soon as the OEM stops paying ARM the device is abandoned. The only real exception is if a company designs their entire SoC and only licenses the ISA.

>Probably never
Uhm, sweetie, there are several ARM desktop systems available today.

Only retards go on Jow Forums. Let's be honest here.

already here. what I want is a cheap RISC-V thin client.

github.com/rockchip-linux/libmali

Hopefully never.
Linux on ARM is a fucking shitshow with all those binary blobs and the absolute dogshit support most SoC vendors (mainly Mediatek) offer.
I wish IBM would bring POWER down to more reasonable prices.
I'm sure Android is the main reason for me hating ARM but the OEMs and SoC designers are also at fault, even if partially.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-10-08 Test Driving A 64-Thread POWER9 Workstation, Initial Performance Against A 96- (837x2380, 107K)

There's nothing explicit about an ISA that dictates how the chip must be made, though of course big + overcomplex instruction sets will mandate bigger ALUs. If AMD and Intel start dropping support for some of the legacy instructions, they might simplify the cores, but they'd have to treat carefully as those small instructions actually let the CPU run more efficiently when they're used. ARM does the same thing with THUMB instructions.

Just get a ROCK64 or any RK3399 board for 4GB RAM you lazy cunt. You're never going to get a decent desktop for $100. Nowadays even 8GB of RAM isn't enough to run minecraft.

Before that happens you need a good programming model for parallelism that is easy to use.

I fucking hate ARM but are you sure you're comparing the ThunderX 2 not the original one?

I'm just saying that because they actually managed to uncuck it a little bit.

>$10K

Attached: 1520170874496.png (497x576, 308K)

all underage

8GB DDR3 used is not that hard, and you might get lucky with a second-hand PC having it already

/retard/ here
what's the difference between ARM, x86 and amd64 ? why do you prefer one or another ?

>ARM, x86 and amd64
different instructions passed to the CPU, so the code needs different compiler to make the binary and the binary is different. In the end the code/binary/CPU do the same stuff. Basically something like speaking german, english or some dialect of english (amd64 is just 64bit extension of x86).
>why do you prefer one or another ?
hipsters like to think they fight the powah when they rally for non-x86 chips
adolescent rebelling

I like how their fapping tissues materialized the exact moment she isn't paying attention to them.

is manually made assemby code easier to do for one of these ?

>too simplified
X86 is riddled within bugs and patches. ARM is a little bit simpler and thus easier to implement in hardware as well as it can have reduced energy consumption.
It's more complicated, but interesting

There isn't that much difference between ARM and x86. And "riddled with bugs" is extremely exagerating, it's functional.
What exactly do you think is a "bug" in the ISA?

what

>How faw away is the ARM desktop?

i think you mean 'how far back'

Attached: 7fc28d02dee71d5084dde61027cea9eb.jpg (1024x768, 110K)

Attached: breitbart_mozljglk8A1r3wd4to6_540.jpg (540x400, 62K)

You have no idea about what you are talking about.

I don't know why everyone is blindly believing that's a pol meet up. It's a bunch of college students having dinner together.

Arm literally already said next year

>college kids
>ages range from 20 to 30s
And yes, this is a legit Jow Forums meetup, they made a bunch of threads back in the day to organize it. That mutt queen even appears in one of the Shia raid camera records.

Tasks with async/await are bretty gud.

Wait till you see the. Oh no. No no no no no.... uhuhuhuhuhuhu
Please hide far away from humanity and sunlight

I said students, not kids. College age is definitely 20s. If it is pol meet up, then it also isn't surprising from what I've seen of pol. It's not pure white supremecist stuff. It's common ideals are more stuff like recognising that all races should have some homogeneous place to call home, SJWs are two faced, Jewish conspiracies to destroy other races and so forth.

Attached: IMG_20181007_025313.png (1500x1500, 2.4M)

wow i guess since a bunch of faggots on the internet ruined Jow Forums that means there's no jewish conspiracy, thanks for your 300 IQ closing response

It would be perfect if software wasn't so bloated, and people didn't have such retarded demands for "a computer" as a single device, rather than accepting some devices will do better at some things than others.

Your mobile will eventually become your desktop. You'll place it on your desk and your monitor and kbd/mouse will sync with it.

Your response proves you lack reading comprehension. You probably have sub 50 IQ

wrong, what's most likely to happen is constant sync through cloud between all personal computing devices, there's no reason for different devices designed for different tasks to become one in the future.

>You probably have sub 50 IQ

Attached: big_oof.jpg (640x360, 36K)

spoken like a mutt

You failed to understand the post you replied to. Go learn how to read before posting on Jow Forums again

We already have them you double nigger.

PS5 and XboxScarlet is prob going to use ARM because they doing so badly and they always pick badly doing cheap CPUs for console

like PowerPC after mac rejected it for 360
like Jaguar after AMD couldn't sell shit in the early 2010s.
like Nvidia sheild tegra2 chip after it failed and Nintendo brought it for Switch.

consoles used failed worthless unsellable tech that in reality is "sorta decent" thats why it wont use ryzen as much as you wish beacuse its not failed or worthless.

you dont put 200-300$ retail cpus in consoles you put shit you can get for 5$ beacuse otherwise it goes in the landfill.

Very far away given initial performance of snapdragon 835 devices running windows 10 S. Yes you get somewhat better battery life but performance is on par with intel's celery. x86 still offers more brute performance and performance/watt especially with the zen x86 ISA

Attached: amd_ryzen_processor_with_radeon_graphics_press_deck-legal_final-page-022.jpg (3999x2250, 326K)

Okay let me rephrase that:
How far away is the Apple ARM desktop?

We already have ARM laptops, and desktops are dead. They are only used by enthusiasts and ARM wouldn't be any benefit for them.

What makes you think they won't just use a custom raven ridge APU with a buttload of GDDR5 which AMD is willing to sell almost at a loss.

Laptops are desktops

No, they LAPtops.

A long way hopefully. ARM everything is locked down to the extreme.

Essentially this for most people. AMD already released high performance variants of raven ridge with support for 3200 MHz DDR4.

amd.com/en/products/apu/amd-ryzen-7-2800h

Yes they do.

it's semen

the fat guy would actually be pretty cool if he didn't have a baby face

Sadly they do.

>t. python """"""programmer""""""

>Arm is more complicated than Intel
No

I don't understand why you would prefer the ARM + vendor botnet over the x86 botnet
>the fat guy would actually be pretty cool
yeah, that and if he wasn't fat, didn't wear those clothes and wasn't in this picture

Kek

Are you fucking stupid?
Lets say you have a $500 processor
$10 for a strip of red LEDs gives you +10% performance on your cpu, basically giving you a $550 cpu for only $510. You'd have to be fucking stupid to not do it

it will never happen. x86 has more apps and OSes

down with the vegan agenda

Jow Forums is not white, it's mostly 56% mutts

Already is a thing, you can buy a board with PCIe and DDR4 slots already.