Play Windows games on Fedora with Steam Play and Proton

Goodbye windows!

fedoramagazine.org/play-windows-games-steam-play-proton/

Attached: steam-proton-816x345.jpg (816x345, 22K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/wiki/Crashes
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>games

Attached: 1538900168195.jpg (325x247, 63K)

>anime icon

Attached: A39E77A6-252C-42FF-9C48-DEB5F6AC72AB.jpg (278x120, 20K)

Proton isn't as flawless as people make it out to be. A lot more obscure games I tried didn't work or only with deal breaking problems (like the example in the article).
Right now I rather just stick with PlayOnLinux. Most stuff works out of the box and I'm not bound to Steam or using it exclusively for games.

wtf i love fedora now

>play windows games on fedora with poor modern feature compatibility and significant fps drops with a poorly coded windows emulator

Pathetic.

I wish OP but not quite. Can't yet play all games. But I applaud the effort.

based and redpilled

Divinity OS 2 still not supported

Yeah basically you get worse performance in most games (Path of Exile for example). If they aren't explicitly in the supported list it isn't worth trying with Proton. Also I'm still not gonna pay developers that don't make their games run natively on my platform so for me it's not really useful.

If you're like me, who tries to play shit on integrated ancient intel graphics even if games look like absolute garbage at a low framerate and resolution, don't do this shit. The difference in performance is so big that many games that are still somewhat playable on Windows are completely unplayable on this. I tested a lot of shit on Proton and thank god a good chunk of my library is natively supported because in most cases it's a useless feature. At best I could play ancient games that I could already use WINE for years ago without trouble.

>emulator
kek

Been thinking for a while that these kinds of projects are for the most part a bad idea. Devs aren't going to spend time making a good native port, when they can cheat with a shitty compatibility layer. How do online games react to these with their anticheat? Their anticheat will even kick you out of games if you play games through virtual machines.

What part of "This capability is still in beta, and not all games work" you don't understand?

This kind of shit have been in development for more than 15 years. It wont magically get better any time soon. If it sucks today, it will suck for another while.

If you play with proton the first two weeks after buying a game then the devs will see that you are running their games in linux. That is reason enough for me to use it. Also performance is the same for me as soon as i disable compositing. And you can believe my shitty mobile R5 apu will mercilessly show me fps differences.
People need to understand that wine is more of a framework to get windows only programs to run NATIVE on your platform of choice. How do you think all the ports of years old windows game work? Simple, they use customized wine and fix the few bugs it had left.
Also, emulation will never allow playable fps while wine could be used for gaming since the beginning. It's a fucking re-implementation of win32 for fucks sake.

Wrong, it has been in dev since a few months. And DXVK, that thing thing that makes dx10-11 actually work, since barely a year.

Read again. "this kind of stuff" is the key word. Just looked it up actually, and Wine is 25 years old. This kind of stuff will never be a good enough solution for anything. It will always be a bit janky.

>That is reason enough for me to use it
For me that's reason not to use it. Such tracking should never be ok.

>being a beta tester for red hat cianiggers for FREE
>writing articles for them for FREE
>shilling your article in Jow Forums for FREE

Janky? I don't understand, games are fullscreen and don't use any sort of theming so it looks the fucking same no matter how you play them. Do you get your panties in a twist over console ports too? It's the same shit.
Proton is a completely different beast than wine and incorporates many custom written optimizations and projects that wine will never use due to their belief that mac os should get some too. It's extremely dishonest to claim that proton is the same shit as wine or that valves involvement has no impact on the usability and quality of it. If it weren't for them then you could still not play any dx11 titles at all and they only started investing behind the scenes since a year ago.

>For me that's reason not to use it. Such tracking should never be ok.
Publishers want numbers, if you don't give it to them then you will never get any games.

Do I need to be an atheist to use it?

Microstuttering out of nowhere. Random crashes. The need for game specific patches in Wine. I'm sick of that shit. They'll never improve. Has nothing to do with what the UI elements looks like. Don't forget that projects like proton and many others builds on Wine. Without Wine, you wouldn't have Proton-

Console ports are better than this crap. I rather save time and effort and just run either fully native games, or play them on a computer that runs Windows on bare metal. Easier, quicker, and more stable. I've gone native, and that's where I'm staying.

What part of "as flawless as people make it out to be" don't you understand? It's people like OP, who already praise it like the second coming of Christ, that I got a problem with.

A compatibility layer is a good idea because it’s OS agnostic

We all know linux is a clusterfuck of compatibility issues with every kernel and OS update

No dev wants to target a million moving targets

I swap kernels like they were underwear. What distribution are you using that's so fragile?

We both use completely different programs with it then. I don't have those problems nowadays, now that dxvk has a shader cache that completely nulls microstutter as soon as it's filled. Also, i don't buy games that don't work with wine so there is that. I'm hopeful for the future, i have seen how fast we got from "shows black screen" to "completely playable" in a matter of months. There a few pain points like net frameworks and XNA but I'm positive that they are short term since valve is actively working on packaging working solutions into proton on github.
I'm quite certain that it will be the future for any privacy conscious gamer, especially because gpu drivers get better and better with every new mesa release and such things things as "runs 10fps slower than on windows" will only be arguments for people with really low budget cards.
I recommend to evaluate the situation in a few years to see how all this played out. I can only hope that more and more developers target multiplatform frameworks like proton instead of restricting their games to one.

I can agree on that. Getting old binary releases to work right is a pain in the ass. I think SteamOS could do well as a container actually. Ship with everything it needs on its own, ignoring the stuff shipped by the underlying distro. You never know what features are enabled or patched into libraries in each distro, and you never know if they have the specific versions that your software depends on. Apparently Steam already does this, but it still depends on well over a hundred packages (on fedora) to work.

On Linux platforms, I am for the most part happy with Quake and DOOM, sometimes Minecraft. I'm amazed by how much fun those games can still provide a decade or more later, and how creative their communities proves to be with custom maps.

Attached: Screenshot at 2018-10-08 15-43-47.png (706x528, 20K)

Yeah, dependency are a bitch for steam and wine in general. I think there was an unofficial flatpack for steam, but it still has problems. Not sure how to tackle such things properly, on one hand one want all in one solutions and on the other we want to use system libraries for proper and up-to-date drivers or essential libraries like libpng.

this is really good shit. imma dump windows before the years over.

spcr.netlify.com lets you know what runs, what workarounds are needed.

I laughed (and agreed)

You don't really know Linux that well. You can create one installer that works on all Linux and installing any missing dependency is easier than Windows using simple dist tools such as apt.

You can't assume a build of whatever libraries your distro ships with will work with the software that you want to ship. At best you can promise support for a specific version of Ubuntu LTS. But your software might still misbehave on a more current Ubuntu or Centos/Fedora. Seen a few issues like these with smaller distros. If you want to package some fancy new application, often you end up having to rebuild a lower level library just to get the correct patch or feature that the stock distro package is missing.

>we want to use system libraries for proper and up-to-date drivers or essential libraries like libpng.
No we don't. We want it to function. An update that just breaks everything is useless.

Basque and etapilled

doesn't work with custom games and countless other mods

Play on Linux is so fucking garbage. Lutris is way better

GTA5 isn't in the supported list and is like 5% less fps.

is 5% fps worth 5$ windows key on ebay? I think not.

no it hasn't retard wine has been in dev since the 2000s I was using it in like 2011 when it only had dx9 support. it was utter shit then and mouse was laggy as fuck.. if they fixed that fine im going to test it in afue weeks myself. you can also do dx12 games now as far as I know.

This.
Not really true, driver updates are extremely important to get new on current systems. Just look at nvidia, they literally do not work on any system if they don't update their drivers to current kernel and x11 spec.
This thread is about proton, not wine.

People in GTA5 get randomly banned from online for bullshit reasons. I wouldn't trust Rockstar and their "anticheat" not to kick you for playing with wine or through a VM. But I guess it is fine if all you want is singleplayer.

>wine has been in dev since the 2000s
Actually, it's been in development since 1993.

You just got mansplained.

not really wine is only like 5/10 %fps worse which is like nothing if the game is only running at 60. but abit more if its at 100-200.

console ports are way worse than this shit and even fully released windows games are worse than this shit

pubg and dayz for instance double to tripled their fps about a year after they released. imo intel paid them to make it crap on purpose to sell CPUs because I know a fuckload of people who upgraded for dayz and pubg.

magically increasing fps by 3x a year after release is dodgy as fuck.

also im 99% sure crysis3 and that stardock game artificially decrease fps on lower core counts

wine with directX started in the 2000s I think. or even late 2000s. its not that old but its old.

Seems alright to me, although I use it more for normal programs than games.

If Adobe worked on Linux and had some stability to it, I'd leave Windows for good.
Up until that point, Linux is just something I have fun with from time to time on dual boot.

Also if there is a way to run it properly, or at least 90% as well, let me know.
Please no Wine, seamless vm or whatever "hack" there is. I just want to run it and be confident in using it.

Also not a gd guy, I just use it a lot for designs and sometimes for fucking around.

If only Adobe ported their fucking software.

protip: no one cares if you use GNU/Linux or not, so fuck off.

wtf going back to fedora, fuck you Ubuntu. You are not the just werks distro anymore.... You never were....

>fedora just werks
lmao don't you still have to write your fontconfig to have subpixel rendering?

>steam
>dependency
This is why the Steam runtime exists.
It's not optimal, but we can't just shoot people who cause dynamic linking issues.

Until glibc has an incompatible update again. I loved how every distro not named debian stable couldn't use steam runtime the first few years due to missing symbols. I think they have made the client more flexible nowadays so that it checks library availability before trying to use them and unsets LD_PRELOAD accordingly.
At least i hope that is the case since it works fine on current systems.
I wish every library dev would take linus "don't break userspace" to heart and apply it to themselves. We wouldn't have to deal with that shit then and snaps/flatpacks would be useless as well.

>games
let me know when productive and creative software works on linux without issue or annoying shit
seriously if linux could run ableton + all my vsts/etc, a few adobe shit, etc I'd permanently switch
and no none of the alternatives are good enough yet, especially most of the foss (some slow progress there though)

If games are that important to you, just stick to windows or just dual boot. Why would you jump through all these hoops just to play games with worse performance?

some games run better on linux natively
tf2 comes to mind

unironically does 3Dmark work with Proton on steam on linux? its 7$ atm.

or are the scores so gimped its not worth it?

>We all know linux is a clusterfuck of compatibility issues with every kernel
We all know that you have literally NO IDEA what you're talking about, so please just stop. Compatibility issues due to using a newer kernel are something that basically never happens. You're literally one in a million if you've ever had an issue.

>he never updates his kernel

it crashes at the moment
github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/wiki/Crashes

Nah, install Lutris, then find the game on lutris website, click install then click play.

Windows reliability has taken a nosedive, and they don't seem to be in a hurry to fix it.

>on fedora
its on all distros, simply clarifying