/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Stupid question thread.
Ask your stupid questions here.

>Read
→ → →

>redirect anons making their own threads with >GNU/Linux questions?
>Programming questions?
>PC building?
>Good, cheap, laptops?
>Cheap electronics?
>Windows questions?
>Where can I get Win10 LTSB?
>How do I activate Win10/Win7?
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt
pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7

Previous thread:

Attached: 93.jpg (700x700, 60K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bugs.python.org/issue22493
wiki.debian.org/NetworkConfiguration
pci-ids.ucw.cz
pcilookup.com
i.4cdn.org/hc/15372116m.jpg
img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/apmKegD_460svvp9.webm
trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Concatenate
newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834269619&ignorebbr=1
narga.net/top-best-programing-fonts/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I know you don't care, but I'd just like to reiterate that a new thread at 305 is kinda lame.

I have 2 individual questions, asked in previous threads:

1. Is there any non-crap program that scans the computer for driver updates or drivers that the PC lacks?

2. A friend is asking me to reinstall their system but he doesn't have the drivers and doesn't know what parts he has in his PC.
What are some programs that identify hardware besides Speccy and UnknownDevices? The latter sometimes crashes on launch.

bugs.python.org/issue22493

adding (?i) before a capture group is now deprecated so re.search("(?i)(caseinsensitive)", "CaSeiNseNsiTive") will now give the warning DeprecationWarning: Flags not at the start of the expression

what is the proper syntax for this now?
someone pls help

report the thread people do that shit all the time on /an/ (making new thread before old at bump limit), mods will probably delete. faggot op just wants to put his faggot anime in the op because he is a huge faggot

Could you ever imagine seeing a human with eyeballs like that in real life?

Is it wise to buy a chink adapter or something?
My brother died in a hit and run, and he left me his old console stuff. I won't be playing any of it much, just for keepsakes.
While I have a lot of random cables, a female Xbox (original, not 360 / One) to male USB is something I don't have.
Are these a thing? I just wanted to play some old Xbox games for old times' sake.

Is there a way to get a screenshot or something of a folder structure that just shows the folders?

I've got my comic collection sorted meticulously in folders, and trying to figure out what I don't have is hard. If I could get a directory structure of just the folders, it would work, since there are over 500 or so folders, but hundreds of thousands of files and the `tree` command shows fucking everything.

Attached: b60.png (680x435, 474K)

Wired internet doesn't work in xfce debian setup anymore. It was probably an apt-get upgrade that screwed everything up. It's not the cable that's the issue since it works in the Windows set up. Tried to modify network.conf to be like the generic configuration shown in the official debian site: wiki.debian.org/NetworkConfiguration

hhhhhh...
driver questions always suck to explain but I'm gonna give it a go since I had the exact same question a couple years ago..
Drivers are only used for specific devices like trackpads, GPU's, etc.
You don't need a driver for your CPU for example since it's an intrinsic part of your PC.
Also sometimes manufacturers try to make you install a driver even if you don't need one.
A good rule of thumb is: if it works immediately after you plugged it in, it's good.
This is not true for everything though (a GPU for example will need drivers for optimization purposes even though it works without drivers as well)
Just go with your intuition(+google) there.
2.) if your friend has a laptop or pre-built you should be able to check to manufacturers page and get the necessary drivers from there.

try "dir /a:d"
If you're ever stuck with a command try " /?" to get more information on it (--help on Linux)
Try "dir /?" for example and you can find how I got this command for you.
You can also find various formatting options in there to make it look pretty.
(Pro tip: if you use "dir /a:d > out.txt" it will write the output into a file called out.txt instead of your cmd)

>laptop won't charge at all

I've tried removing the battery and putting it back. I've tried using a different outlet still won't charge. It won't even turn on while plugged in without the battery.

Well shit what can I do now?

Yeh, I know of the command, which is why I included it in my post. I'm saying the command outputs folders, and filenames, and I'm looking for a program / way to just show folder names in their directory.

what's the in-vogue pdf editor these days?
i'm using sumatra for reading; need something for the occasional edit.

I've got an OtherOS compatible PS3, shouldn't any Linux distro work on it, though?
Or is it literally just their custom OS?

You know, a laptop model and knowing whether or not you're using a generic AC adapter or not would be really helpful.

>eyeballs
don't you mean irises?

Is there any point in buying more case fans than necessary? I'm about ready to just buy a bunch of bland 120mm fans for random shit (replacing the LED ones that came with my case, and maybe zip tying some on my gpu/cpu coolers for the meme), but not really sure if it'd be a good idea for like $25

$25 for 8, that is~

user.. 'tree' is not the command you want for this..
please just open your cmd, cd to your comics folder and run 'dir /a:d'.
If you want it recursively then run 'dir /s /a:d' but you could've found that as well by using /? and reading through that, I already stated in my post..

dir /b

sauce?

On device manager, if the driver is missing it will show warning icon on it.
Properties > Details have PCI info for looking up drivers
pci-ids.ucw.cz
pcilookup.com

I always browse /b/ and /hc/ on my smartphone but somehow when I saved the pics they're always in lower res with the letter "m" at the back of the address like so;
i.4cdn.org/hc/15372116m.jpg

Right now the only way is to open the file on separate tab and manually erase the letter m and then hit enter. Any easier way to save high res pics?

Thanks for the insight on drivers.
Thanks for the advice and links.

How do I get the global variable from the 2 running files and ensure it's up to date?

I've successfully gotten the first instance with
>from file1 myglobalvariable
but it doesn't refresh. reload() is for actual modules.

Attached: untitled-1-2.jpg (1200x1200, 138K)

When DHCP renew the lease time of an IP, the connection is disconnected temporarily, right? But if I reserve an address permanently for a device, it wouldnever disconnect again unless I manually disconnect it, right? Because I did reserve an address for one of my device but still having disconnected on it every so often.

Attached: 1532047598614.png (399x391, 14K)

Use Clover/overchan/dashchan or thechan if you're using iphone.

So recently my windows dell pc (inb4 dell inb4 windows don't have much of a choice in the matter since it's somewhat shared and some stuff that's needed on it doesn't run on linux so fuck off with install gentoo meme non answers please) said something about unit G (a ssd where the os is) needing to be rebuilt/tested/whatever, windows did that no problem
Today at startup dell says something about a parameter of the hd exceeding it's range and then asking me to go to the bios setup screen, exiting the bios screen start up stuff normally and there doesn't seem to be any problem, emphasis on "seem"

Should i worry about it? If so how much? What can/should i do to to solve such issue?

What can I do with my old android phones? I've got one as CCTV atm but I can't think of a use for the rest

Attached: 1465837901494.gif (804x539, 84K)

dir /o /ad /s /b >some_file.txt

I'd marry her instantly.

>had MPC-HC with LAV on an old laptop
>used it to watch movies
>everything ran smoothly with HW DXVA2 copyback
>didn't use it for a few months
>open it again and try to watch a movie
>drops frames like crazy despite HW being on and nothing being changed
Anything know what could be the cause? Or another lightweight videoplayer that could run stuff on an AMD APU?

What are Jow Forums approved host adblocking lists?

I'm new to vpns and not really sure which exit point I should be picking.
For example, if I wanted to p2p and my isp sends angry letters even over official torrents should I be connecting to a server outside of the US?
Or is it fine to connect to the server I'm nearest to since the connection is encrypted anyways?

what the fuck is wrong with xrandr

Attached: WAF1KlEBK1uI.png (1920x1080, 53K)

when I have both monitors going:

Attached: CN2KJlgOmlcS.png (3286x1080, 74K)

After new install right click on the yellow triangles and Google find drivers by hardware id.

Follow instructions on how to find the vendor number etc.

Enter it tells you name. Download zips on phone if pc has no net. Transfer them.

Pls help, i need to know if i should start to check the best prices for pc components

Why does the compiler say "expected expression before 'double'"? I have stdlib.h included, and sumArray is just a variable-length array I want to initialize.

memset(sumArray, 0, sizeOf(double) * longest);

Attached: alterhacker1456595795720.webm (640x640, 695K)

I think it still disconnects it when the limit runs out but then it sees that it should only add that specific ip adress to a device and assigns the same one to it again.

img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/apmKegD_460svvp9.webm

Can't seem to find an option to merge multiple video files into a single file on Webm for Retards or other ffmpeg GUIs.

Know any options you could recommend me?

Dont use ffmpeg guis.
One quick search and you have your answer

how to append 125px to the width of posts with thumbnails?

div.thread div.reply {
display: inline-block;
width: 80%;
vertical-align: top;
word-wrap: break-word;
}

>too retarded to use Webm for Retards
kek

anyway
trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Concatenate

The other two guys already helped me, but thanks anyway.

Is there any way to make a certain IPs not have lease time?

anyone know if laptop apus are any good? my sister wants to do some light gaming (facebook I assume), and also have a decent laptop for school.
I picked this
newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834269619&ignorebbr=1

What Avisynth function exists that can fill n frames of the input file with mono-color frames? like making the first 60 frames completely orange or any color of choice, no fadein/out stuff.

Attached: 1460162152299.jpg (962x1376, 285K)

For facebook it should be fine. But HP are notoriously bad hardware. Shit will break on you six ways to sunday, getting a junk refurb is only gonna make that worse.

Should I learn how to into Android Fragments or are they an abomination to the LORD?

So my wifi adapter says "Up to 600Mbps high speed on 5.8GHz (433Mbps) and 2.4GHz (150Mbps) bands. Dual band reduce interference for better connection.With Roaming technology, promise high effective wireless connection"

I currently only have a 150mbps connection but am upgrading to 1gbps soon, will I get upto 600 or 433mbps using this adapter?

Attached: 25b1804080433a7f94f48c543f6fee0a.jpg (224x201, 10K)

Sure if you are in direct LOS of your access point and within 5 feet.

The Engrish indicates you're dealing with chinkshit so all bets are off

If your modem is your WiFi access point, you'll probably get 433M if you have line of sight on it. If you're using your own router, you need to upgrade to something with 5GHz.

Okay I fixed it by rolling back the video driver to a previous version

I am about 5-6 feet from my router, but my room is set up in a way that there's no way to hide the ethernet cable outside of feeding it along the wall, and I don't want that looking like shit in my bedroom.

I am sure Verizon will supply me with a 5ghz modem/router, even my crappy current Comcast router has 5ghz.

Can I expect 600mbps if line on site on a 5ghz router?

whats a kernel

That is the theoretical top end, you probably won't get anything near that speed, either from your wifi router or to your house.

welcome to Jow Forums, where the person you're most likely to get answer from is yourself

DHCP doesn't do anything to your connection. Your device's DHCP client is supposed to ask to renew once the lease time runs out. If it doesn't, the server will consider the IP dropped and put it back in the free address pool.

If you set up the DHCP server to reserve an address for a given MAC, lease time doesn't really matter other than maybe for auto populating DNS entries.

I'm using BlackPlayerEX as a music player and can't change an artist name
What I'm using (though I doubt it matters in this situation):
>Samsung Galaxy S7
>Android 8.0.0
>BlackPlayer Exclusive version 20.43

When I try to change the artist name from "airospace" to "Airospace" is reverts back to the former
I've tried giving the artist a dummy name such as "z" then clearing library cache and changing it to "Airospace" but it again reverts back to "airospace"
I've checked the ID3 tag viewer within the BlackPlayerEX app and both the contributing artist and album artist field say "Airospace" but in the library it still displays "airospace"
Only reason this is an issue is because I'm anal about last.fm scrobbles and the two display as different artists on last.fm
So when I listen to him on my PC it scrobbles "Airospace" but on my phone it scrobbles "airospace"

Attached: Screenshot_20181008-144552_BlackPlayer EX.jpg (1440x2560, 1.64M)

>Can I expect 600mbps if line on site on a 5ghz router?
No. You can expect 433. 600M is a bullshit figure they came up with by adding the 2.4 and 5GHz speeds, which you can't use in tandem.

The "o" in "airospace" should have a slash through it like a null symbol. Not sure why the formatting changed when I posted it

newfag plz go

Why do you have niggers on your phone?

>I am about 5-6 feet from my router
Jesus fucking christ. You're going to give up half your goddamn bandwidth and introduce latency and interference just cause you're too gangsta to run a cable shorter than I can piss.

I will go once I have a solution

What is a good terminal font to use with Simple Terminal? the ones I got produce god awful letter spacing and overlapping

nigga wtf is a scrobbles

Check these top 10 fonts for developers:
narga.net/top-best-programing-fonts/

basically it's last.fm tracking what you've listened to
So I listen to song x, last.fm scrobbles it and records that I listened to song x

Oh cool is there a way I can sync that with my smart watch and Alexa?

If you want to join the botnet with me there's likely a scrobbling app or a setting within whatever apps you use

st -f xos4\ terminus-18

Is there a way to play Blu Ray DVDs on my computer with MPC or VLC?

I lost my CD that came with my bluray player and I think it had software I could install to watch it.

Attached: 1538942947400.png (711x1080, 877K)

Has anyone played around with the x265 codec? Tried clipping a video without re-encoding with ffmpeg but it spits out errors about not having a start code and Error splitting the input into NAL units.

What program are you using

What do you mean? I use ffmpeg to clip the video and try playing it with mpv to no avail. VLC just plays the audio stream.
ffmpeg -ss 05:22 -t 0:37 -i input.mp4 -c copy -avoid_negative_ts make_zero output.mp4

Am I retarded for waiting amd on laptop ?
like I don't want to pull the trigger since I believe amd can come up with a great cpu for mobile but the current ryzen 5 are not good for the battery

So I know how to program, loops and pointers and whatnots, but I want to create programs with windows and menus and gifs and cool stuff, not lines in a terminal.
What's the next step?

Software was PowerDVD as it's the most popular Blu-Ray player. You can easily pirate that shit though. Or just rip the Blu-Ray using MakeMKV and then play with mpv or whatever you use.

MPC File->Open DVD/Device... Something similar in VLC, no doubt. Think ya can associate it for auto-play in the options.

find a gui library for whatever language you're using

Doesn't work that way. Commercial Blu-Ray discs are protected so they need to be decrypted first. It's why no freeware player does it, it's illegal. You need to run it through something like DVDfab passkey first.

Let's say I want to get back at somebody for doing 50 dollars worth of damage to me. The way they did this damage was legal; in fact I agreed to it, but I didn't end up perceiving it as damage until later. So, revenge would probably put me in both the legal and moral wrong, but let's say I was so spiteful that I wanted to do it anyway. Damage is damage; they do 50 bucks worth of damage to me (albeit legally), so I go break something of theirs worth 50 dollars.

In a legal case situation, what are the ways that I would end up being forced to pay them back for the damage I did? Keep in mind I would be willing to go to prison for longer providing I wouldn't ever have to pay them even a single penny.

This is for a programming assignment for my algorithms class by the way but it's too long to explain how it ties in to exactly what I'm doing

by the way this includes middleman payment. I wouldn't want to have to pay the government, which then reimburses them for the damage

Can I used any microSD card like microSDHC or microSDXC in my Droid Maxx 2 or does it have to be regular microSD or is there a difference?

I am entering a bachelor's in computer science with a focus on cybersecurity.

Do you guys have any tips? Any protocols, software I should get familiar with? Do I need a github?

No your school should cover the important point

ok cool thanks man

Try it, it should work.
If you want a non-changing internal IP and other devices get random IPs through the DHCP then set your IP to end in a higher number. For example: if your internal IP ends with x.3 but you have 5 devices, the other devices might steal that IP. I have around 10 devices using my internet and I have set a high number at the end of my IP (example x.99) so the IP wouldn't get ever stolen by other devices.

TreeSize Free shows folders and what not, and other files as single folders. Try it.

I need some wisdom /sqt/

I need to find an internship (it can be anything IT related and it should be at most 6 months long and at least 2). The thing is I have 0 skills and even less experience. I've never worked in my life so my resume is nearly empty. The languages I currently know are :
-C
-Python
-Javascript
-PHP/MySQL

I don't know anything special in any of these libraries so no frameworks or special libraries.

What should I do to at least interest the recruiter a bit ?
Should I just go web dev route and learn javascript frameworks and choose either front-end or back-end ?
Should I start learning java ? But then what ? I just write -knows java in my resume and pray ?

How do I find legit royalty-free pictures? I don't want to touch any websites where anyone can upload any picture he wants and claim it's royalty-free

So Jow Forums was down for 18 hours so hiro could put bullshit chimneys and stairs on to the captcha?
How incompetent is he?

I just got given a Raspberry Pi 3b+

I'm afraid of using a cheap power adapter and damaging it over time. What's the cheapest power adapter I can order that isn't unsafe?

You dont fuck around with power related parts.

I have an M93P w/ i5-4590T @ 2.90 ghz laying around and a few spare drives. I would like to set up a home server with them. Can I just buy usb enclosure or two for a small 4tb system or do I need to buy a nas container? If so, can I get a cheap recommendation?