Is being an audiophile a mental illness. Yes or no?

Is being an audiophile a mental illness. Yes or no?

Attached: 1480836473511.jpg (3064x1932, 1.17M)

Is being poor a mental illness too?

It depends on ones understanding of the matter. While high quality components can make a difference most of it is not where most audiophiles claim. It's nice for a dac to support all kinds of numbers and formats but our ears can't hear anywhere near even 192KHz and little to no recordings have sounds reproducing at that point. It's more important to have low distortion and the quality of the song you are listening to. And I don't mean the bitrate but the mastering of the song and dynamic range.

If you like what you hear it is right, no?
So an audiophile can never be wrong.
Opinions expressed by audiophiles can never be disproved.
This makes them worthless and very annoying to boot.

Attached: national37.jpg (1219x1740, 556K)

I wouldn't say mental illness. But there is a lot of "placebo effect" happening.
Audio and electronics have been my hobby for the last 30 years, and here is my big red pill.
Numbers are not as important as some would think. Everyone is striving for that perfect flat response curve, but the reality is this, the human ear doesn't. It's got peaks and valleys throughout the entire range. Not only that, but every persons hearing has variations on top of that. 7+ billion difference response curves. Good luck building a speaker that will satisfy all of them.
Best bet is to ignore the numbers, and just listen to a bunch of equipment in your price range.

Wow those pirates sure loved their sonys if they pimped them up so hard.

Maybe.

You don't understand what sampling is at all.

Well, flat means it reproduce what is on record, that's it. Brainlets.

Audiphile...

CD...

Well, that's kinda... Wrong.

No, to an extent, there is only so much you can do to hear shit at better quality until it becomes snakeoil

like literally everything, it depends how far you go with it.

I just noticed that your pic is a bunch of decked out ps1. I use mine as a CD player and while it measures like ass I really like the sound it produces.

You measured it? Please tell us more...

Attached: as-l1600.jpg (1200x1600, 287K)

Falling for a scam is not an illness.

Did the ps1 have some special audio tech inside of it? I have one laying around, should I look into this or is it just more audiophile snake oil?

>audiophile snake oil
Your answer.
It's poor by any modern standard.

depends on the audiophile spectrum.

I haven't personally as I lack the equipment to do so but from various other people online and even just me comparing it to my other sources it definitely lacks in some areas but it sounds pleasant nonetheless

As long as it is one of the 100x models as those have rca outs but keep in mind there is no magic. It's just a very particular sound that some enjoy.

>192 KHz
For the longest time, I was under the impression that Jow Forums makes for funny but somehow sensible reading. Today, I was able to prove that wrong. Seriously fuck you.

A record mixed by somebody who didn't use gear with a flat curve

>speaker
Did you mean headphones