20 years and this piece of shit is still useless for image manipulation. Why?

20 years and this piece of shit is still useless for image manipulation. Why?

Attached: The_GIMP.png (768x768, 99K)

>winablows
>not using photoshop

Who are you quoting?

I use it and it's good.

Another slow afternoon in the Adobe mail room, another day on shill duty.

Attached: 1339550542705.jpg (904x1024, 611K)

It's really down to the hideous UI.
Instead of opening up about half a dozen windows, it should just open up with the canvas area, like every other normal fucking image editor.

You transposed your Photoshop skills into Gimp thinking the two are similar instead of learning how to use a new image editor from scratch.

How do I select an area to crop by rotating the image but not the selection?
Photoshop can do that shit in two steps but this shit just rotates everything.

They have single window mode for people like you.

choose wisely.

Attached: stroke it.png (800x600, 49K)

I don't think so, GIMP just lacks basic features for image manipulation.

Let me guess, is it accessed through pressing CTRL-ALT-NUMLOCK-F17-¬ ?

I use GIMP to touch up photos for social media and make art for my apps/games. Understandably there are things Photoshop does better than GIMP, but I have yet to encounter a use-case like that in my own needs.

ur mom

Go stick a dick in your anus, don't say that it is "good" when you barely use it.

>linux can't run exe
>basic feature
winfag logic

Classic Jow Forums experience, valid arguments are greeted with this kind of shit. Form a valid opinion based on facts and personal experience, otherwise stfu.

Photoshop isn't a good enough reason to run wine, let alone the shit botnet that is windows.

Attached: 1510098975598.jpg (640x577, 62K)

This post was created on my archlinux™, that's the reason I'm angry.
If I were using windows I would be happy by using photoshop.

some people do actual work with their computers instead of reinstalling their operating system

the gimp team is absolutely determined to keep it from being successful

They are unwilling to accept advice and help from other developers. Surprised that no one has offered any open alternatives.

On the other hand Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo looks great.

such as gaming?

Got examples?

I was referring to work that uses Photoshop, but gaming is another reason to use Windows

>Got examples?
Photoshop is better at "liquifying". It's also better at selecting automatically.

Photoshop has the advantage of not closing down the window with the image you're working on, realsing the application is still runnning, close another window, nope not that one, close this window, oops that was the toolbox, good luck getting that back, maybe this window, nope fuck it, uninstall this shit.

It is absolutely mindblowing how Gimp stays absolute garbage despite being actively worked on. It's like they really want it to live up to its name and have it gimped as much as possible.

Every time I give it a try it seems to have some sort of progress but in the end is still horribly slow, nothing is where you expect it to be and as cherry on the cake, it still crashes an absolute fuckton. The whole program always feels like a gang of stubborn fat neckbeards dictate what has to be done and think they know what a photographer or other artist needs in a toolset and program.
Then I switch over back to Krita and despite it being a way newer project, it works like a charm. Krita might have absolute shit text tools but it absolutely succeeds in being a great painting and drawing application, keeps improving and is also stable. Hilariously, you can even use Krita for some light photo editing what SHOULD be Gimp's job but funnily, Krita does even that a ton better.
Even Blender made INCREDIBLE jumps in progress over the last couple years and I fucking despised it before 2010.

Just fucking stick a fork in it and call it a day. Let Gimp die. What a fucking useless piece of garbage.

Attached: its_all_so_tiresome.gif (290x312, 2.27M)

photoshop is hands down the best image editing software, no competition there. but adobe jews and their insane amount of bloat really sucks. when you install photoshop there's files for it literally everywhere. not to mention adobes botnet stuff on photoshop. I'd hope there was something exactly like photoshop but it would be simple 1 folder install with no hassle, connecting to internet etc.

>work
>running rescue utilities to recover your deleted files.

Attached: 1339550542744.jpg (894x801, 118K)

stopped using ps after cs6
gimp works for me

>unironically using winshit and adobekek

Attached: mscall.jpg (535x350, 20K)

I've been using PaintDotNet on Windows for years and cannot live without it anymore. This is one of the reasons that stops me from switching to Gnu/Linux

Use Invert selection then rotate

The only people who hate GIMP are brainlets. It has been in use for over 15 years and everyone has gotten used to the UI unless you're some redditor zoomers discord using retard.

Photoshop has botnet and bloat and "cloud". It's shit.

Attached: retard.png (841x226, 19K)

No you literally click Window -> Single Window mode

You are further proof that the people hating on GIMP are brainlets who love "easy" bloated software like Discord or MacOS

>How do I select an area to crop by rotating the image

Attached: wtfair.png (400x400, 15K)

GIMP comes with much better noise generators and filters than Photoshop out of the box.

the tab key thing in you're screenshot still works in single window mode btw.

so what you're saying is the more intuitive UI isn't the default option, thats fucking stupid mate

It’s feee so it must be good amirite.

Every day you stick with photoshop over gimp is one more day you let baby duck syndrome win.

why learn something new when it isn't any better than what you already know

It's been in the gui for years, retard. It's enabled by default now.

It's NEET retards who don't even use software professionally and just """use""" Photoshop while watching tutorials on YouTube. There's basically no difference for most people and Photoshop had a shit UI too last time I used it.

It is.

If it's UI is so shit, why is gimp copying its defaults?

why don't you try something new before deciding it isn't any better

it doesn't

If you tried everything new without prejudice you'd never get anything done
People make arguments for Gimp not being worse than Photoshop, nobody has ever said that it's better

>nobody has ever said that it's better
it's better than photoshop
check mate, cuck

why is it better?

Are you the same guy who keeps starting Arch hate threads because you couldn't install Arch?

It doesn't.

This thread has been an embrassment for kids who pirate Photoshop cloud bloat edition in between using Discord.

Better filters and effects / noise generators out of the box

Photobloat has tons of bloat

More customizable UI

Better for working with gif animations due to Python scripting

The only advantage I've found for Photoshop is much better digital drawing, but everyone uses SAI for that instead so it doesn't matter.

how does it have a 'better' noise generator
it's a standard algorithm

So, how are you guys enjoying Krita? It has most of the features GIMP has, with a leagues-better UI.

>Why?
because you suck at using it

no CMYK support
its still a meme

I guess the problem is chair-display interlayer

Newfag get out

No one's gonna post the webm that uses a script to draw a circle?

Gimp is pretty unintuative, i switched to Pinta. Fits my basic needs much better

Does not work, I can't even resize the selection after rotating.
Dumb GIMP zealot.

No, I'm angry about GIMP because I'm using Arch.

All the tools for resizing, moving, rotating, transforming have little buttons for choosing a layer, selection or path in the tool options.

Attached: out.webm (1680x1040, 117K)

If my tech illiterate gf could learn how to use GIMP for editing and photo manipulation in less than a week then you as """professional Photoshop experts""" are fucking retarded apes who shouldn't be in the image editing business in the first place.

Did they ever fix shift-clicking layers to select more than one layer or do they still make you autistically click a tiny box to link the layers?
I know it's not really a big deal but it was just the cherry on the shit sundae that got me to give up.
Getting really tired of open source programs that feel like their UI is an over designed austist's vision. Looking at you blender.

Paint dot net is insanely good for pixel art...

why don't you just stop being a fucking kike and use photoshop?

kek

>the terrible interface is excusable because we've gotten used to it
That doesn't make it any less shit.

There's actually a project for nix called Pinta which takes direct inspiration from paintdotnet, it's not entirely the same, but it has a similar interface and many of the same features.

There's more than one kind of distortion and GIMP has a better selection out of the box.

You can resize any selection from multiple menus as the other user pointed out. You're a brainlet and not smart enough to use GIMP correctly, software like Vim and Emacs is also too advanced for you.

It's not terrible. The multiwindow UI gives you more screen space and less clutter, and can be customized however youd like.

Since you love bloat and clutter, use Photoshop.

Wow, now I just have to undo the rotation on the selection square because I can't crop a rotated square.
I want to rotate the image but not the selection because I have to crop the image using the square. How hard can that be?

Not sure I understand the problem, but maybe you want to scale the selection with the scale tool, then crop to selection of that layer in the layer menu.

Your can't even explain your problem clearly. Stupid brainlet, back to Photobloat.

Works on my machine

Attached: 1538153790346.png (420x420, 300K)

I have to crop a penis but I have to hide as much as I can about everything else.
In photoshop what I used to do was:
-Load picture and draw the crop rectangle
-Move the image and scale the crop rectangle to fit the penis and try to hide everything that is not a penis
-Crop the image

If I try to do the thing in GIMP by rotating the selection the square it doesn't crop well and looks like pic.

Attached: 2018-10-08-234903_245x247_scrot.png (245x247, 5K)

"Who are you quoting?" is very often a valid question when someone misuses memearrows, take this example post for instance:

>I want a new computer
>Don't want to spend too much money, but I also want to play fortnut in my butt
>What should I buy Jow Forums?

Who is he quoting?
Although is wrong since used a valid form of memearrows.

Attached: soy to the world.png (1405x1080, 2.56M)

That's not valid because I'm not using windows.

why dont you just draw the selection you want you dumb brainlet. the free selection tool has straight lines.

I need the square to be 1:1

>If I try to do the thing in GIMP by rotating the selection the square

Attached: 3c3.png (825x1064, 1.88M)

When you rotate the selection try a different interpolation method to get a cleaner diamond.

For a selection that small you should just use the Free Select Tool and click once then move to get straight lines.

All I want is a simple one click and drag tool to draw rectangles, ellipses, lines and shit? Is it too much to ask?

here's a rotated diamond selection with Sinc interpolation

Attached: fuckyou.png (1073x1055, 92K)

Those already exist, what are you complaining about?

Attached: fffff.png (107x43, 2K)

I don't need a diamond, I need a 1:1 square.

They don't draw anything, just select.

>The term diamond is another word for a rhombus. The term is also used to denote a square tilted at a angle. The diamond shape is a special case of the superellipse with parameter , giving it implicit Cartesian equation. (1)

Then use the paint bucket to fill in a selection.

>The term is also used to denote a square tilted at a angle.
Yes, I don't need a diamond (tilted at a angle) I need a square (not tilted).

Which part of ONE CLICK AND DRAG TOOL did you not understand?

then fucking use this and make a square by making the height and width in options are equal

Attached: aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.png (255x210, 5K)

>wahhhh I can't do something in two clicks instead of one, it's too hard

Go back to Photobloat.

Attached: 1380494057908.png (446x451, 128K)

But I need to be able to fit the square in a way that lets me hide everything that is not a penis as much as I can. For that I need to be able to rotate the image (or rotate the selection but then I can't reset the rotation).

if gimp is so bad why doesn't someone just fork it and redo the GUI? shouldn't be that hard, the actual image manipulation engine was working fine last time I checked

Too much work when you can just download photoshop.

why dont you just use photoshop