/mkg/

Can't knock it if you haven't tried it edition

Attached: 782592a0-e250-4860-8e48-3fa37204b75b.jpg (1599x899, 141K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/GmDi0QsV4Rc?t=179
pcgamingrace.com/products/gmmk-full-customized
deskthority.net/wiki/Costar_replacement_controllers
danluu.com/keyboard-latency/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Any reason to use this shit?

It feels really good, less fatigue on hands, more satisfying, better noise, amazing build quality

it's an overpriced rubber dome.... keep sucking the meme dick

If it feels good and sounds good, who cares what it's made of. It's electro capacitive so it has a ton of advantages over normal rubber domes. Keep being an assblasted poorfag.

my mech costs more then that, but sure, call people poorfags if you makes you feel better about your wasted purchase.

>wasted purchase
lmao sure, just deny everything i just said..
my friend you have autism

you're the one that came on an anonymous board and felt the need to justify your purchase.

I didn't try to justify it, I just used it as an OP picture. All you did was ask if there was a reason. And I gave reasons. I don't need to justify my purchase cause I'm glad with it. You've never tried it.

>All you did was ask if there was a reason.
wasn't me

And yes I have tried it. Keep going, maybe you will get something right.

I bought the cheapest mechanical keyboard with chink knockoff mx blues for like $30
comfy

based

>tfw typing on topre switches

Attached: 1530621737255.jpg (575x382, 42K)

Yeah, but is there something my Cherry MX keyboard doesn't offer?

Not being a scratchy piece of shit for one.
>t. having mostly cherry MX boards.

For the sake of the argument, any reason to get one if I'm happy with my current one?

>tfw typing on buckling spring switches

Attached: FRACTURE-PROXIMAL-PHALANX.jpg (480x565, 43K)

Attached: I like retro.png (1030x1742, 2.96M)

To see how ignorant you have been and discover the true way mechanical keyboards were meant to be?

some nice ass keyboards there, yessir

I mean they are better built and last longer, but does that really matter since most keyboards can easily last 20+ years even if they are membranes

Ah, so ignorance is a bliss?

>any reason to get one if I'm happy
no. but try one out if you get the chance. that's a lot of dosh to drop on the chance you might like it.

Not really in this case. You are now aware that there's a better side. That's opposite from the "ignorance = bliss" principal.

Eh, for what it's worth I haven't experienced it myself and I'm perfectly happy with my current setup. If people say it's better, it's just words on the internet - I can't really confirm or deny them based on my own experiences. Hence it'd be probably better me to stay with what I have and not bother with anything else, because of course there's always better and more expensive setup I haven't tried, different switch, different mod, different keycap profile etc.

>/mkg/
>mechanical keyboard general
>MECHANICAL keyboard general
Just rename these fucking threads to "keyboard general" already. It's not even about mechanical keyboards anymore.

Or you can just deny it. That's fine too.

what do you mean? so far only mechanical keyboards have been posted

Is this a mechanical keyboard?

Attached: Membrane-Keyboard.jpg (843x317, 71K)

that one isn't, but my original post is still correct

Then neither is the one in the OP.

how? topres aren't membranes.

They function in exactly the same way as membranes, the only difference being that Topre has individual rubber cups with springs (not used to register the key press, btw) inside them.
If a membrane keyboard doesn't constitute as a "mechanical" keyboard, then neither does Topre.

Attached: cm_novatouch_tkl_topre_key.jpg (384x379, 46K)

I'm not denying anything, it's more about not having frame of reference. Not to mention, for what's it's worth for every good keyboard you'll always find people who consider it being best there is, no matter what the technology is. I can accept that it's probably better according to people who've actually used it, but I can't *feel* how much better it is by reading about it on the internet, if you catch my drift. Not to mention after you get certain point, you'll start hitting diminishing returns, same as with audio. Then there's always something else to catch your fancy, which would mean some new item to get.

>They function in exactly the same way as membranes
Wrong, you're not even close. Topres use a mechanical process to actuate the switch. Just because they use a rubber dome for tactility doesn't mean they aren't mechanical.

By that logic, membrane keyboards are mechanical as well seeing as they touch two pieces of metal together to actuate the switch.
Pictured: Mechanical keyboard, by your definition.

Attached: Redragon-USB-gaming-Membrane-keyboard-ergonomic-7-color-LED-backlit-keys-Full-key-anti-ghosting-104. (1000x1000, 546K)

What he's saying is the rubber dome isn't the part that actually registers keys, the conical spring does. If you don't consider topre mechanical, then you'd have to also consider tactile keytronic foam & foil switches not mechanical, since it uses a rubber dome for tactility (though it has nothing to do with the actual registering of keys).

I'm going to keep posting this until you like it

Attached: IMG_20181005_125104.jpg (3456x4608, 3.24M)

Can you read my friend? As long as the keyboard doesn't use a membrane sheet to actuate the switch it is mechanical. So yes a model M isn't a mechanical keyboard and that's okay.

too small, like my penis... so I need big keyboards to compensate

You're right. For a switch to be considered mechanical, the switch should be a self-contained unit. If the PCB is a part of the switch itself (see: pressing a capacitive material against contacts on the PCB), then it can't be considered mechanical. This rules out Topre, foam and foil, buckling spring, membranes, and probably others I can't think of off the top of my head.

However, if the only requirement for a switch to be considered "mechanical" is that a mechanical action is used to activate the switch, then anything goes except for optical switches as that's the only type of switch that doesn't actuate by pressing two conductive materials against each other.

nah, it just doesn't need to use a membrane sheet in order to be considered mechanical

AUTISM CONTAINMENT THREAD

To rule it out as mechanical for not being a self-contained unit doesn't work. By that definition you'd rule out stackpole switch grids, which would be functionally no different if you separated the switches. None of these definitions really work to be honest, all of them would have some exceptions to the rule.

youtu.be/GmDi0QsV4Rc?t=179

>have to bottom out to type
>not the smooth increasing cushion of Cherry MX Clear switches to cradle your fingers

Attached: index.php?action=dlattach;topic=65181.0;attach=81489;image.png (270x251, 5K)

And that is why these threads should drop the "mechanic" part of the name. There's no single proper definition of what a mechanical keyboard really is.

Anyone have a board with Cherry Greens? How do you like them?

You could argue if it has a rubber dome or a membrane then it isn't mechanical which would mean that model ms and topres aren't mechanical

Attached: Membrane vs Rubber Dome.png (1199x781, 226K)

a membrane isnt the same thing as a rubber dome you brainlet

calm down he has autism so you'll have to slowly explain things to him

Friendly reminder topre are overpriced glorified membrane keyboards

>glorified rubber dome boards
Fixed that for you. There's no membrane.

No matter how many times you say it Topres will never be membranes

is today the day we get through an entire /mkg/ without that one retard posting the cherry mx meme?

You jinxed it nigga.

If I want a keyboard that I'll both type and game on, then I should pick Brown switches right?
They only have the option of Blue and Brown

are you kidding me? Brown is shit. That's why they call it brown. It is like a fancy membrane. It's a better shit but it's still shit by the end of the day.

tldr: get blues

That was like three threads ago when he said that his work was done

>my mech costs more then that
sure
>yes I have tried it
sure

>cherry mx

Attached: aid1332158-v4-728px-Color-Sand-Step-1-Version-3.jpg (728x410, 27K)

>Brown is shit. That's why they call it brown. It is like a fancy membrane.
Are you serious are just memeing?
Anyways I'll probably just waste the gas to go to Best buy tomorrow anyway. If I'm going to order an expensive board I at least better try it out 1st hand I guess

Brown actually isn't bad, people blow it out of proportion. Not very tactile though, but it does feel and sound pretty good. If you're getting a board with them i'd recommend a leopold or ducky though.

Alps a best.

Attached: 1514166305416.jpg (1567x1440, 948K)

That's a funny way to spell BKE

Ah ok.
Was going to get a MF87 atm

I would like it with 2 rows added at the top. Like this it is unusable both work work and games.

browns are literally dirty reds, they're shit

MX brown was made for stuff like this.
You need a really high wrist rest to mimic the sensation.

Buckling spring all the way

Attached: Kinesis_130e_Essential.jpg (5312x2988, 3.53M)

if you're adamant about Cherry switches, get clears. browns are barely tactile compared to a linear switch. is spot on. some membrane keyboards are actually more tactile than a brown switch, if you can imagine.

Anyone know where I can find a solid 100% with the old ThinkPad layout, i.e. the bottom row starting with Fn, Ctrl, Win, Alt?

The total for my mech was 290-300$
(The old whitefox kit, hako violets, and DSA Mystery)
The keyboard in OP's picture is is 232$ on amazon right now. k? k

It's nothing like a membrane.

None of the switches are outright bad, but the prevalence of browns, particularly over clears, is indefensible. You would think they are simply a non-clicky blue but they're not. The tactility is inadequate.

At the very least, Gateron browns are said to be better.

Attached: 12310004.jpg (5472x3648, 1.05M)

>topre
>/mkg/
fuck out of here with your overpriced rubber domes. I could get 2 high quality MECHANICAL keyboards for the price of one of your shitty realforce keyboards

user, is there STILL no
>n-key rollover
>mechanicall
>full
keyboard with a motherfucking
>trackpoint
?
There's that excessively rare antediluvian IBM m13 keyboard, but it has horrendous rollover limitations. I don't necessarily need n-key, but at least 4KRO is necessary.

Also, what would be a decent budget option for a 4KRO+ full (not the manchildren 60% bullshit) mechanical keyboard?

>Qwer

>what would be a decent budget option for a 4KRO+ full (not the manchildren 60% bullshit) mechanical keyboard?
Pick whatever flavor of ducky you want. Or maybe get a GMMK with whatever switches & caps you want.

and yet they won't last as long. it's funny how a simple rubber dome has better build quality then 90% of the "high quality" mechanical keyboards out there.

Honest question, why do people still use full sized keyboards when they can get scissor switch low profile?

I mean, I understand the lazy or don't care excuse, but when you actually spend money on it... Why go for the xbox hueg travel and tiny key surface?

because low travel keyboards are bad for your fingers in the long term

more importantly they just feel shitty to type on

I mean they do exist, but if you don't want to pay several hundred for one you can just take a Filco and add a track point to it. The original Filco majestouch keyboard had plans for a trackpoint, but they dropped it. Luckily for you the ground work is there so you can add one

What's the general consensus regarding MX Brown vs Romer G switches?
Would a ducky be better than logicool K840?

I honestly have zero experience with mechanical keyboards, I just want something that has all the keys, has decent rollover, doesn't feel like shit to type on but is also decent to play gaymes (the Internets say it's precisely what MX Brown switches for), and is durable enough I won't have to replace it anytime soon.
I don't really care about LEDs, customization, etc.

>What's the general consensus regarding MX Brown vs Romer G switches?
Dogshit.

Look into a ducky one with mx clears.

pcgamingrace.com/products/gmmk-full-customized get Gateron Reds and what ever key caps you want.

>MX Brown vs Romer G switches
Romer G's are slightly better. However this is accurate. Clears or bust. maybe consider burnt orange box switches or zealios if you're feeling adventurous.

Duckys are the KIA of keyboards. They're loaded with features like macros, programmable function layers, mouse emulation, NKRO over USB, and media keys that most people don't care about, at a price bellow their competitors and have good build quality with doubleshot PBT keycaps, steel construction, a solid case, and offer several different switch types that other manufacturers don't. But like KIAs their quality control isn't good and you'd sometimes get a keyboard with warped keycaps, loose USB connectors, dim LEDs, etc.
Now if you want the Toyota of keyboard then consider Leopold. They are pricier and don't have some of the features, or gimmicks if you see it like that, of Ducky keyboards. But they have the best construction and quality control by far.
If you want the GM of keyboards then honestly get a magicforce with whatever switch you want

missing objectively the best one

Attached: ibm_f122.jpg (1004x534, 87K)

Not heavy enough

Attached: IBM 4704 F107.jpg (3608x1452, 375K)

>fell for the Unicomp meme
dont ever buy this shit bros. 50 percent of the keys on my Model M dont work anymore
They made it freshly new last December too.
luckily mine is still under warranty, but now I have to send this hunk of melted plastic back

Attached: 19234895312789.png (756x720, 628K)

Then get a new old stock model M. They still have enough of them

u-unf. If only they weren't so hard to find

just buy one from deskthority. they sell as much as the reproduction model Fs

>The original Filco majestouch keyboard had plans for a trackpoint, but they dropped it. Luckily for you the ground work is there so you can add one
The hell, has someone demonstrated this?

Yes, you can drill right through the G and H key and just stick an old track point through there. You'd have to replace the controller with one of the several aftermarket options depending on which model you get
you can check for compatibility here
deskthority.net/wiki/Costar_replacement_controllers
this mod will also work on any of the other Costar keyboards like Rosewill and Cooler Master

Attached: Costar Track Point MOD.jpg (1500x1000, 768K)

How exactly is that "ground work" for a trackpoint if you're doing everything yourself? At best it sounds like you lucked out that there aren't traces at that location on the PCB which isn't exactly difficult because it's not a densely populated motherboard.

topre keyboards have 1/20th of a second lag or 50ms and this is not actuation point this is actually slow processing in the keyboards internal chip.

danluu.com/keyboard-latency/

I would never buy one.

It's a feature. You can cancel a keystroke if you're fast enough.

Why are there no lowprofile, membrane rgb keyboards?

Steelseries Apex 350. Red Dragon Karura. look around

>just got a Model M for 3$ with german layout
>It's really fucking nice
>Thank you IBM

Attached: IMG_20181009_093542_569.jpg (1280x850, 169K)