I'm having a real hard time finding actual speeds of FTTN fiber optic internet connections in the US since speed tests...

I'm having a real hard time finding actual speeds of FTTN fiber optic internet connections in the US since speed tests don't log by fiber connection type, and most people aren't woke enough to know the difference.

What kind of fiber internet do you have (FTTU, FTTH, FTTP, FTTN, FTTC, etc), and what are your speeds up and down?

Attached: 16914723_303.jpg (700x394, 48K)

I've currently got around 35 down/10 up via FTTC (Fibre To The Cabinet) from BT Openreach. I could upgrade to 70/20, but I'm broke.

BT did say that they are going to be deploying G.Fast in my area next year, so I could be getting around 290/40 but I will probably move out before that happens.

Attached: gfast.jpg (500x380, 105K)

Forgot to add, this is in the UK. I'd imagine in the U.S., most people use cable (FTTC) to achieve far higher speeds when compared to traditional VDSL telephone lines in the U.K.

>speed tests don't log by fiber connection type
How would they know the connection type?

FTTH: 1000/1000mbps $90/mo

I have 50d/10u with fttc, although they also offer 100/20 fttc and 1gbit symmetrical with fttb/h

The road next to your house is a 6 lane highway. How long does it take you to get to work?

Follow up, there is a short distance of 1 lane road until you get to the highway. How long does it take you to get to work?

> It depends on other traffic on the roads. The only way to know is to time the trip yourself.

FTTP /FTTH (they're the same thing)

$95/month for 1gbps with TV and phone.

>1000/1000mbps

Yeah but how fast is it in actual use?

Many people in the US don't realize they're using FTTN.

I mean, they're using cable internet but technically it's FTTN since the local DOCSIS Node is fiber fed.

A lot of high speed cable internet is FTTN

This, most cable providers these days are feeding their subscribers through Fiber to the local node, and then DOCSIS last mile on copper coax.
Outside of the US it's generally called HFC (hybrid fiber coax), in the US most people just call it cable internet. But it largely is an FTTN setup.

Speeds range from across the spectrum with some areas even offering 1gbps download (though with only 30-40mbps upload)

>FTTU, FTTH, FTTP, FTTN, FTTC
For anyone who doesn't autistically know the definitions of these they mean the following:

Fiber to the unit
Fiber to the home
Fiber to the premises
Fiber to the node
Fiber to the curb

FTTU/FTTH/FTTP are essentially the same thing, though FTTU is used exclusively for muti-unit dwellings. Basically, the fiber is fed directly to the customer location, with a copper handoff to a router, either coax, or ethernet. Or a router/ONT combo that has Ethernet LAN.

FTTN is generally a node within 1-2km of your house, and in densely populated areas, even closer. From the node copper is used for last mile connections, either ethernet links, or coaxial (DOCSIS), or a DSL tech (VDSL2+, G.fast, etc).

FTTC is similar to FTTN, but instead of having the node potentially hundreds of meters away, the fiber is brought within about 50-100 meters of the property with the final distance going over copper, again this can be ethernet, coaxial, or DSL over coax or RJ-11.

FTTH, paying for 1gbps, I generally see 800-900mbps both up and down.

Attached: 2018-10-09 09_35_17.png (479x237, 14K)

Bout 950

945mbps is the limit of a standard 1gbps ethernet NIC due to TCP/IP overhead of 5.5% (5.5% of 1000 is 945).

FTTN 80 up 50 down $100 a month
Great Australian internet

I fucking told you but nobody listened.
These are all datamining threads. Notice how they started with just "show me your Internet speed", then they got more specific, like " those outside the US show me your Internet speed" and "what kind of Internet connection do you have and what are your speeds".
And yet you fucking retards still reply, then complain about the ads hiro puts in the site or pic related.

Attached: 1538541688676.jpg (700x525, 89K)

I wish I had fiber to the home in my area.

It feels like every city but mine has it available. I know I have fiber to the node, but it isn't anything special since everything after the node is just coaxial cable. I'd be impressed if my ISP used N+0 technology for every connection in my area, but unfortunately that isn't the case.

You're a retard if you think these threads are datamining. Why the FUCK would you care specifically about Jow Forums users and their internet speeds?

It's far easier to just datamine with the actual fucking speedtest.

The speedtest sites are 100% using your speedtests to do statistical analysis. But on Jow Forums? What would the objective be? There is literally nothing it could be used for.

>Why the FUCK would you care specifically about Jow Forums users and their internet speeds?
The answer is quite tautological here: To know the speed and type of connection of Jow Forums users. You can also know their general location down to the city they live in, and their ISP by the Speedtest pictures.
Also, it seems like you're being paid to do this, because every time I mention how these are datamining threads, you get extremely defensive, as if I was robbing you of your income.
>The speedtest sites are 100% using your speedtests to do statistical analysis.
Yes, but they don't link my speedtests and general location to the fact that I'm using Jow Forums.
Anyways, don't get so angry. Retards will still post their speeds anyway.

>You can also know their general location down to the city they live in, and their ISP by the Speedtest pictures
...they can know your location to a roughly 50km range, and they know your ISP.

So what you're saying is, it is in NO WAY personally identifiable to YOU.

Fuck off you paranoid moron.

For me, within 50km range and using my ISP would be easily 500,000 customers. If not closer to 1M. You'd have better luck identifying me based off of Jow Forums's general demographic makeup than you would using a speedtest to try and figure out who I am.

Looking at posts on Jow Forums would have far too few of a sample size to have any valid data from it

Notice how you didn't refute the main point: linking the results of the speedtest to Jow Forums usage.
The last two threads had around 250 replies each, repeat this at different times during the day along multiple days or weeks and you'll have enough samples, I can assure you. Certainly the job/salary/location threads work like that.

>linking the results of the speedtest to Jow Forums usage
Who cares though, what does that do if it can't be linked to YOU?

Some random person living in your area using your ISP is using Jow Forums, big fucking deal, it's not personally identifiable information, therefore it's fine to post literally anywhere.

>what does that do if it can't be linked to YOU?
Linking this data to ME is completely irrelevant in this case, as all Jow Forums users are anonymous to everyone but Jow Forums.
Also, notice the spacing and the way all these posts are written. You're quite clearly not a regular Jow Forums user.
And why would you get so upset about people not posting their data? Why would you ask for it in the first place, if it's so worthless?

>You're quite clearly not a regular Jow Forums user.
Kek, this is honestly my favorite part about "reddit spacing", it makes new fags like yourself HONESTLY think there is a "proper" way to format on Jow Forums.

I've been "reddit spacing" since before reddit was even a website, i've been a regular on this website since 2005, and a daily visitor since about 2007/2008.

At this point, you've just confirmed yourself as an idiot who doesn't know what they're talking about.
>Linking this data to ME is completely irrelevant in this case, as all Jow Forums users are anonymous to everyone but Jow Forums.
It's not completely irrelevant, because your entire argument is that someone is datamining for this information, the whole point of datamining would be to tie the information to specific individuals, if they're not able to do that, then what are you scared of? What exactly do you think is going to happen with your speedtest information? In your warped retarded mind, what the fuck are you scared of here?

I never mentioned "reddit spacing" in my post. I just mentioned the way you spaced out your posts, which while not being "proper" or "improper", it's never been commonly used on imageboards.
>At this point, you've just confirmed yourself as an idiot
Nice ad hominem you got there.
>the whole point of datamining would be to tie the information to specific individuals
That's not the case. You can datamine an entire group, or in this case you can datamine anonymous individuals, the data is still valid. Again, if the data was so worthless, why ask for it in the first place?
>What exactly do you think is going to happen with your speedtest information?
Nothing, because I'm not going to post it.

it seems to be purely what you want to pay, think we have 25/25 right now (cuz we are cheap) but it can do up to 1g/1g (maybe higher) but it's so fucking expensive to get them to just flip the switch.

>Nothing, because I'm not going to post it.
And you seem to be scared of posting it, I wonder why, and what exactly you think will happen if you were to give your information.

You seem paranoid as fuck.

And why ask for it? Because people want to learn retard. Where else can someone go to ask this sort of question and expect a decent number of responses quickly? Jow Forums is by far the best place.

>wonder why
Because it is valuable information and you seem pretty desperate to get it.
>Because people want to learn retard. Where else can someone go to ask this sort of question and expect a decent number of responses quickly? Jow Forums is by far the best place.
This fits the exact definition of datamining, you know.

FTTH, paying for 200 down 25 up, getting only 90 down 20 up. €50 a month. 3TB cap. Contacted ISP, they keep regurgitating the "your speeds depend on your distance from the node" bullshit.

FTTH in sf.

800 down, 900 up directly connected via ethernet

>This fits the exact definition of datamining, you know.
Except in this case, no one is recording your information besides the web crawlers that already archive every post here.

It's literally you being paranoid about an average everyday person asking a question.

It's paranoid as fuck, and honestly you should be embarrassed for yourself. Just look at the situation with logic instead of your retarded paranoia.

It's not one person, it just literally the people who are so baited by your shit that they actually reply. This isn't data mining, a survey with an actual sample size and account for bias or confounding variables is data mining. Running through spreadsheets of user data that's been condensed is data mining. This is just a thread ablut fiber connections n shit.
You security nuts need to stop being so God damn paranoid and just let Google know where you live . It's not like they couldn't figure it out if they wanted to anyway.

Attached: Snapchat-1028505485.jpg (639x626, 21K)

Sorry, Ohio in the US, FTTP (seems like we are paying $500 a month) it also depends on contracts, we might upgrade to 50, and it's $660 a month for 2 year, $600 a month for 3 year, or $570 for 4 year. 100m is $990, $900, and $855 a month.

(6 years ago, 10/10 was $880 a month, 5/5 was $630, even two years later 5/5 was like $495 a month)

That's not residential pricing though.

Which is more I think what the OP is after.

I actually like the thread too, I'm in Ohio paying prob too much, nice to hear what others are paying. Not sure what people think they are going to do with this information? It's probably the same idiots on facebook and their iphone using google and don't care though...

OP here, thanks. Seems like most people have legit fiber (FTTH) and not many have FTTN or FTTC which is interesting, I thought it would be the opposite since FTTN is much easier to roll out and FTTH/P is rare.

So is ~80/50 a typical physical limit to FTTN or does it get better than that?

Dude I'm just trying to figure out my best internet option calm down. Not everything is deep state jew conspiracies, and not everything you see is directed at you specifically. You're also talking to multiple people apparently across multiple threads and subjects as though they're one like a crazy paranoid person.

>an average everyday person asking a question.
Really? Would an average person ask the same question three times in three days, making three different threads, each one more specific than the last? And before you deny the authory of those past threads, do know that everyone can go to an archive and see for themselves how your typing is the same, how you get upset in the same way, how your atypical spacing is always present.
And these "people" always present the same characteristics I mentioned above..? What a coincidence, don't you think?

>Would an average person ask the same question three times in three days, making three different threads, each one more specific than the last?
....okay honest question. How new are you?

We have these threads ALL the time, sometimes multiple threads per day.

There is NOTHING odd about there being multiple speed test threads, they happen ALL The time, sometimes they're specific regions (europe/asia/Americas) or sometimes they're country specific, or even state specific threads.

They're just anons bragging about their new speeds, or anons who are curious about speed in other countries, or wondering how good their speed is compared to others in their area, etc.

Thinking this is some orchestrated plot to gather information is just fucking laughable.

You watch this website enough to know there's been three threads in a day?
Regardless I'd put this off as nothing but coincidental, someone just didn't ctrl f "fiber" and decided to kill a thread by asking a question someone's already asked before.

Attached: Snapchat-1438646663.jpg (576x960, 52K)

>not many have FTTN or FTTC which is interesting
see here
Most people in the US with high speed internet are using FTTN, they just don't realize it because it's not advertised that way.

True, but I am like 15 minutes from columbus, and that's all that is available, so if I wanted it at my house, it would be the same (plus we have to pay for the fiber run, which was almost 2 grand when we had it installed at the business) I think they do fiber to the hub for residential, and it's not super far from me, but it's still just cable, which is like 75/10 for $65 a month or something.

>....okay honest question. How new are you?
Oldfag enough to know this is a typical occurence, and it's been going on since forever, yes.
However, regular speedtest threads aren't this specific. And the real giveaway of these being datamining threads was when a couple days ago an user cropped his speedtest picture, and you got all upset about it and tried to make him post the entire version. That clearly set these threads apart from just Jow Forumsentoomen waving their e-dicks around.
Three threads in around three days. And they'll keep coming as long as they're profitable for OP.

If you think this thread is any more specific than a dozen + other threads over the last 2-3 months, you're an actual idiot.

Nice ad hominem. This is my last post here, anyway. Good luck with your datamining, OP. Hope you make some quick bux.

This thread is SO specific about fiber that the average person wouldn't even know how to answer the question.

If this is datamining, it's useless for anything of actual statistical significance.

>So is ~80/50 a typical physical limit to FTTN or does it get better than that?

Depends on the tech they use for the last mile.

You can use pretty much anything and it usually just depends on the ISP, and the distance from the node.

VDSL2+ and G.Fast are two DSL technologies being used for faster deployments, VDSL2+ can do 100-200mbps easily enough, G.Fast can do 700-940mbps depending on distance. This is more common in other countries besides the US, popular across europe and asia and australia.

Then there is DOCSIS coax which can do with DOCSIS 3.1 10/2gbps, and DOCSIS 3.1 full duplex provides, as the name implies, a full duplex speed, at 10/10gbps, though each customer would be given at most 1/1gbps.

DOCSIS is the predominant deployment of FTTN in the US. Most cable ISPs use this technology, comcasts offers 940/35mbps gigabit service over DOCSIS. Highly one sided connection though with most of the bandwidth dedicated to download bandwidth, upload bandwidth is abysmal.

trips of truth, but lets freak out that someone knows what literally anyone could google or pay any ISP change to find out.

>OP. Hope you make some quick bux
What a retard

Attached: 1479820054069.jpg (483x589, 78K)

I'm sure the will pay well for the whopping 14 posters in thread... makes you think maybe there would be a better way to get the data or that maybe, just maybe, you are paranoid and no one really gives a shit.

FTTH: 100/50 $35

FTTH 150/150, though my ISP has switched to only offering 100/100 and 1gbps to new customers.