-"Hey user since you're the IT guy would you mind (((opening this huge security hole))) for me ?"

-"Hey user since you're the IT guy would you mind (((opening this huge security hole))) for me ?"
-"Sorry boss but it's a huge security hole so I wouldn't do that"
-"Yes you'll do it."
-"Alright so please just sign this paper saying I told you it was a security hole and that I won't be held accountable to what will happen with it"
-"No."

What do ? Pic related is me irl right now.
inb4 "just quit / let them fire you" I really need this company to be able to continue my traineeship.

Attached: 0a183d27314fa502f4a6c09f619f897f.jpg (236x147, 8K)

Write an email to him stating that again, this is a huge security hole

Then make sure email's actually getting backed up

Go straight to your bosses boss and warn him of the risks. Generally just kick it up the chain until you reach someone who is responsible.

If your direct boss is basically in charge, they're the CEO then it's probably time to work for another business.

In general though, what I would advocate is thinking what is it they want to achieve, and then offering them a secure and sane alternative to what they're asking for. They're probably under some pressure to deliver on some goal and so just want it done and to hell with the consequences. In my experience there's generally a way to get everything done in a secure way, but you often have to just go and implement that yourself and then hand it to them, if it solves their problem they wont give a damn if you did it the way they asked, or not.

We'd need more specifics about the problem if you don't see a way to do it securely.

>Go straight to your bosses boss and warn him of the risks. Generally just kick it up the chain until you reach someone who is responsible.

lol this is never a good idea in any business

Attached: excuse me .jpg (950x799, 174K)

Yes it absolutely is. Try actually having a job in the industry before posting next time.

You're going to;
a: embarrass your boss and make an enemy of them
b: piss off their boss as well, because they don't want to have to deal with you

chain of command is a universal thing

I know autists i work with as well who try shit like that because they're 'right' about something and it almost always ends badly for them. I mean yeah, there's a small chance your boss and their boss while not be on the same page already and the top dog will respect your initiative and it will work out well but it's a real odds off chance.

>In general though, what I would advocate is thinking what is it they want to achieve, and then offering them a secure and sane alternative to what they're asking for. They're probably under some pressure to deliver on some goal and so just want it done and to hell with the consequences. In my experience there's generally a way to get everything done in a secure way, but you often have to just go and implement that yourself and then hand it to them, if it solves their problem they wont give a damn if you did it the way they asked, or not.

that is a good suggestion though, and also sounds basically universal

Just do it
If SHTF you aren't legally liable

Do it, r u homo or what?

>
> You're going to;
> a: embarrass your boss and make an enemy of them
> b: piss off their boss as well, because they don't want to have to deal with you

None of this shit matters.

You are quite literally the definition of a cuck.
Who gives a shit about your boss feelings, he wants you to make a shit choice and can potentially blow up into your face.

Man up, this would be the best chance to get a promotion or to start looking for a job elsewhere.

you should be like this guy user and be a bootlicker for the rest of your life :+)

>why does it matter if your boss hates you?
what is it like to have autism?

Seething.

did this once, got promoted one week later

It doesn't fucking matter because your boss is trying to make a bad call that will cost you your job if you don't handle the situation properly.
Stop giving a fuck what other people think about you, you stupid cuck. we

toe that line user! toe that line

It's not even the ballsy dominant move to go up the chain. That's like going to hide behind someone else's skirts. The ballsy dominant move, if it's really important to you, is to just tell your boss no.
You make that work by offering alternatives.

Going up the chain is the same as going behind their back, it's cowardice.

you're just licking someone else's boots

This isn't about balls or masculinity, which you seem to lack. This is about ethics and company security.
The only thing you get from doing what the boss wants is your job lost because of him.

What kind of fucking faggots care what their boss(es) think of them? If you honestly give a shit what some stupid fuck thinks of you then you should kys.

Send an email, make sure he's looked at it. Do whatever the fuck he wants, and if you get fired then call the Department of Labor.

I'm happy to tell my boss no and stand my ground over issues that I think are important, and it pisses him off sometimes, but ultimately I think he likes and respects me for it, which means that we have a constructive working relationship and my job is overall pleasant.

But I wouldn't go behind his back. If your boss is so weak and ineffective that they don't have the ability to affect your life at work negatively, so you don't care about what they think about you, then why do you even have to listen to them at all and why would it even be necessary to go up the chain over something?

If you just don't even care about anything then cool i guess, but why would you be sticking your neck out?

I said autism because this really sounds like a literal manifestation of autism, ie, inability to comprehend interpersonal relationships and social systems

Hr exists to reduce liability to the company. It is simultaneously your worst enemy and most powerful tool in office politics. If your boss is fucking with you there are a lot of ways it can go bad for them unless it's a small incestuous company

>open security hole
>use it yourself

Attached: 1515665713620.jpg (600x760, 55K)

Yeah... try to avoid going to your boss. Just send the requester an email explaining that you need a signature.
If they bother you to do it after that, ignore them.
Then they can either kick it up the chain (and you'll look good when you're right) or drop it.

As an IT Director (soon to be CTO of a jointly owned business) I absolutely want to know if people I hire below me are being reckless when it comes to security. Doing stuff like this can cause tension so you have to be somewhat tactical about it, but it's not only a good for the business it's good for you. Anyone above you who sees you as responsible sees you as an asset, and that'll only do wonders for your career. But yea, don't be a sperg about it, don't come across like condescending twat who is out to sabotage, that's important.

>that is a good suggestion though, and also sounds basically universal
It is, it has been my goto throughout my IT career. What I've noticed is that idiots will come to you and ask for a specific thing, like "I want this port open on this computer". And what you need to do is ask them, not what they want but what they're trying to achieve. Sometimes they need remote access, or whatever it is, and you can then go away and sort out a secure way of doing that and provide them the solution. If it achieves the goal they set out to achieve, 99% of the time that'll be the end of it. Consistent application just means you're the guy people can come to, to solve problems without an argument or debate about it.

Reality of business is that finding hard working, responsible people, who also care is REALLY hard, those people are rare. Bad manager scoff at that stuff, good ones will snap you up and take care of you. I'd say my other general rule is you do not get browny points for pointing out peoples mistakes and retardation, especially to managers. Where you make the bacon is when you go to a manager and you say, here's this awful problem that's a huge pain in the ass, and here's my proposed solution. In this case, my direct boss wants me to do X which will cause security problem Y, but if we did Z instead we'd get the best of both worlds. He'll be all over that and give you the resources you need to go do it.

Wew, half of posters are basement dwellers. OP specifically said "inb4 "just quit / let them fire you" I really need this company to be able to continue my traineeship." and you tell him to go alienate somebody who can fire him.
It may be a good idea to discuss that with somebody higher up the chain with both user and his boss, though, unless OP can offer something which solves the problem on his own.

>security will cost us .0001 value per stock
>nvm
Literally every fucking time. Equifax has paid nothing for their data breach, and IMMEDIATELY got a no-bid contract. Only recently the IRS is switching contractors because an Adobe flaw on Equifax's site is preventing account access. Facebook lets international bots access to everyone, lost 50 million login credentials across 100+ sites, and turns around and sells an always-on camera for your kitchen that sends back unencrypted video feeds. Intel has hardware bugs that leak secure data from inside virtual machines and is confirmed to continue leaking data for 2-5 years.

You're going to turn fucking turbo Jew, just like the rest of them. If you are even anywhere near not-lying.

this lol
or just tell us about it after you open the security hole for some funsies :)

That's a cover your ass mentality, which is fine for covering your own ass. What typically happens in that scenario is they'll fuck up, you being responsible have covered your own ass, but the boss man see's the whole thing as dysfunctional in general and won't be happy, no one is bringing him solutions, only problems and conflict, and they really do not care at all whose fault it is, appointing blame is boring and tedius and rarely achieves anything. Promoting people who bring you solutions is what gets things moving.

These scenarios are actually opportunities in disguise to springboard your way through the ranks, so not just about covering your own ass but also doing what is genuinely in the best interest for the business. The closer to the top you get the more the management are concerned about the actual business functioning, the owners never put people into those positions unless they behave in ways which is best for the business and simply covering your own ass doesn't fit that category. The "here's the problem, and here's my solution" method, that'll get you in some rooms you seriously want to be in, if you're at all interested in climbing the corporate ladder.

>This company doesn't care about security so no one should.
Smaller and more replaceble companies will be gone the instant it leaks data. Companies like facebook and Equifax thrive and trade user data as their bottom line. A dataleak there is 'less important' than when dropbox leaks celeb's nudes. Its all about liability.

You don't open up the security flaw. If he isn't willing to take responsibility for the decision then he is probably up to no good. Go see his manager. If he blows you off, go see his manager.

I do agree with user in a way, but come on. For the good of the org, this is what needs to happen.

It is quite fulfilling to have autism. I don't have to deal with bullshit posturing.

>he actually believes individual performance has any effect on promotions
It's all nepotism and looking good on paper. ALL (((corporate structures))) are egotistical power tripping psychopaths.

IoT companies have never had data security and their products don't even work, but the market continues to grow. It's all image and hype.

You also don't have a job, but it'd be nice to have mommy taking care of me again.

semi-based and purplepilled

t. Pajeet stuck in caste system who regularly loses his company money being a coward

Modern laws like GDPR that require disclosure of security leaks can cost companies up to 4% of their global, annual turnover. So pressure to do it right is increasing.

A lot of the mega corps can get away with it because they make a disgusting amount of money and are so well established they really can't be dethroned. Facebook has done literally nothing of any notability in the last 5-6 years and continue to grow just through expansion of their existing emprie. These corps are more the exception than the rule, they can afford to pay tens of millions in fines and it not matter even slightly because all the share holders are minted.

Most businesses are tiny in comparison and struggle day to day and 1 GDPR fine will wipe them out. Or even the hint at data leak.

>It's all nepotism and looking good on paper. ALL (((corporate structures))) are egotistical power tripping psychopaths.
It's really not, and actually having this disposition will only make it harder for you to climb the corporate ladder. Businesses that are successful can employ for nepotistic reasons, I've literally seen that in the places I've worked. But, what happens is that some competitor who employs based on merit, their business does better, and then when your business starts to struggle to compete it has to cut the fat and the very first people to go are the overpaid people who are useless, which is anyone who is hired for reasons relating to nepotism. Nepotism can work in isolation, but it can't work in a free market of competing businesses, not for long at least. I've survived 3 major waves of redundancy before and the people hired due to nepotism are the first to go.

>you do not get browny points for pointing out peoples mistakes and retardation
this is exactly the opposite of how the real world works

It really isn't. Managers don't want to hear a list of all the problems, how does that help them? They want to see solutions to problems. If you go to someone above you and you point out a problem and give them a list of possible solutions to pick from, you'll be so useful to them they'll probably promote you.

If all you do is point out a bunch of problems, it's like...no shit, there's always loads of problems, that's not enough, we need solutions and people with the gumption to go find them and present them. There's a level of pro-activity that's expected of managers.

>it's not nepotism you're just not working hard enough
>all the people doing the work got fired but my dumbass in management got to stick around
???

You fire the people who'd become managers

You keep the people who are managers that objectively do bad work THREE TIMES. Let me repeat it for you, you dense motherfucker: you and your peers did such a bad job THREE TIMES you fired all the people doing work to save money. If you try to say "m-muh merit" then you're admitting you either hired terrible people or just did the bad job yourself. Like a security guard that only shot off three of his fingers and they let you keep your job.

Huh? I never said either of those things.

Nepotism tends to be putting unqualified people into high positions such as management. Bad people in places of power tend to cause a lot of damage financially. When the company board of directors comes to review structure during hard financial times, those people are the first to be booted out.

I've never hired because of nepotism, I don't want incompetent people underneath me hoovering up large salaries and hindering performance of the business in general. Now some people at the top are prepared to boost their useless friends/relatives through the ranks, but the moment that becomes a problem for the business, those people are gone. Remember that large business the people near the top are invested in shares/stocks, they own part of the business and take a cut of the profits either through bonuses or dividends. They're not generally going to risk their investment in the business or their earnings to prop up a bunch of useless idiots, even if those people are friends/family. The guys across the street doing the same thing but not being nepotistic are gonna beat you down revenue/profit wize.

Most businesses start small and they start off the back of investment the major players put in out of their own pocket, as we intend to start our business. If you think I'm going to risk my investment and personal cash just to hire a useless buddy of mine, you're wrong. Put yourself in my shoes, or the shoes of any investor/business owner.

>tactical
I think you might mean "tactful"

just pretend you don’t know how to do it. fucking faggot

A written letter with an advice of receipt would be more convincing for a judge.

>step 1 convert to islam
>step 2 open the security hole
>step 3 record transmissions that pass treu the hole
>if shtf happens and company losses money use recorded data to prove that boss is a shit head and he should be honer killed or fired.
>if you are fired for the hole cry discriminator
>if nothing happens go back to current bacon approving religion