Which OS to use?

I recently bought a new laptop. I've been using windows 7 for the longest time. Going from windows 7 to windows 10 was the catalyst for me to learn a new OS. Im tired of the Orwellian operating software. Can one of you tech bros help me break my slave chains and find a good OS thats not retarded? I've heard a lot about linux but don't really know anything about it other then it being an alternative.

Attached: Screenshot_20180908-214107_DuckDuckGo.jpg (647x575, 238K)

Windows 8.1 Enterprise (x86)

>linuxfags coming out of the woods to shit on everyone
>four mac users
>dozens of winblows calling the aforementioned four, fags
And a joke post about templeOS, because user heard terry say nigerlicious.

did u just pre-meta this whole thread?

Install PlayStation 3 system software

So.... recommendations?

Attached: 1537683623861.gif (201x269, 1.17M)

Lubuntu 18.04 + i3 as window manager
you can find all the info you need on Google
thank me later

Alright, the pc I'm going to be using is for writings docs and reports for work. I'll make a separate thread about my home pc later. But for basic word documents this is a good one to use? It's a laptop I bought for work. Thanks.

Lubuntu is perfect for that

Or just 8.1 Pro is fine if you don't need to be a snowflake.

lubuntu is great but I wouldn't go for i3 right away if you're a linux newbie

Yeah, i3 is overkill for a start. Try KDE or Mate, avoid Gnome.
Btw, Linux tends to be less plug'n'play-ish in therms of software than Wangblows or MacaronOS, so try to install everything you need and troubleshoot it the same day otherwise you might find yourself in a tight spot

distrowatch.org

>le "i3 is only for hackers" meme
Google i3 and i3 guide is literally the first link and it tells what everyone needs to know about it

Definitely avoid Gnome, I use lxde and really like it, plus it may be a good option if you're laptop isn't powerful.

install gentoo

also I should complete my answer to:
OP has asked for a recommendation for his laptop, so i3 is an absolute must. Let him abandon the absolute hell of floating windows manager, he shoould start using a truly useful OS with a glorious tiling windows manager

i3 is unnecessarily stripped down and lacks common features without further setup. it's not only for hackers, it's not hard to use, but it's time consuming to set up and maintain in accordance to your growing needs.

lxde or xfce are my goto's

I wasn't a pc connoisseur when I first looked into i3 and I could set it up in two hours. I think that the time you need to set it up is much more worthier than the endless time you're wasting on a floating windows manager.

Fedora

There is literally nothing wrong with using Ubuntu as a daily driver. Most people who tell you otherwise are just overcompensating and will never use anything that is popular and functional.

If I need to read about my DE then it's too complicated.

It's possible to make software that is both functional *and* intuitive, but you may need to contain your autism.

Linux does not have games, don't listen to anyone saying otherwise, windows is the pinnacle of pc gaming. Now that this is out of the way consider the following:

> Are you unafraid of reading manual pages, learning and you are generally not an illiterate nigger?
> YES: any Linux should be fine (even BSDs actually), but your first steps should not be hindered by missing drivers, figuring out which config file to edit in order to get a given behavior. Go with babbie noob's friendly first distro. Mint, Ubuntu, Fedora. Other anons who have had recent contact with said distros are better positioned to advice you on the exact distro to use. Later on your needs will dictate which direction to take from there. No frills+Muh repos with everything I need => Debian testing+i3 (my current setup). Muh bleeding edge rolling release => arch (never liked it, but hey to each there own). Muh distro perfectly tailored to my current processor and everything optimized to squeeze every last ounce of performance out of my hardware => gentoo (personally I think that this is the fakest most falsey meme that Jow Forums shills, I ain't ever gonna compile my own packages ever unless I'm getting paid to do it, I have enough compiling my own projects. Fuck doing that in my free time). The only advice I'd give is to google what a home partition is, you don't want to migrate your data the nigger way next time you decide to jump distros. Macs are nice, the only bone I have to pick with them is how over priced they're, when with the same investment needed to get a measly laptop you can build a desktop with serious power to crunch most problems you could have short of genome research.
>NO: honestly, if you can't even read I doubt I can be of much help to you, and if I could I wouldn't.

> Are there other OS options available to me? Yes, I shortly mentioned BSDs up there, they are the only original UNIX's descendant freely available today, they have the best code base if you want to learn and generally are a fine OS choice, although not the most popular ones even among tech people to run on laptops and home machines.

Thanks for all the good information. I'll do some digging.

Attached: 1537996024114m.jpg (893x1024, 101K)

Just update to 10. Enable Linux subsystem for windows and install Ubuntu (take your pick on version), Debian, openSUSE, and Kali.

Fuck that lame ass one OS per disk and partitioning it to allcate space for Only One OS In This Space Please.

Linux Mint Xfce, Mint MATE, Kubuntu or Ubuntu

you should use a fully feature OS like GNU.
start at debian/stable, when your comfortable move to testing and when you're left the humanity behind switch to sid

Attached: gnuisnotunix.jpg (391x500, 102K)

Going to be honest, I did this too. Used to have a t420 with lubuntu. Once it died and I replaced it with a new laptop it was too much of a pain to get linux working correctly on it.

It's nice having all my drivers / sleep mode working, plus long battery life (tlp + powertop only does so much) and I can still set up everything like my old nux machine.

People get pissed about the windows 10 changes, but they are trivial to fix in group policy compared to fucking around with linux anyway.