GUIs were a mistake

GUIs were a mistake
How do we fix the personal computation device?

Attached: pls.jpg (331x331, 49K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_BBS_software
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

lisp machines

80 columns.
24(or 25) rows.
All text.

YES, ALL WRITTEN IN C

templeOS is peak UI

We already have imperative operating systems
Where's the OS written in haskell

we need a window manager written in html.

What we need is more cloud computing
Individuals shouldn't own property

GUIs are fine.
However shit getting heavier and heavier for eye candy or whatever is not.

Make it so a thin client is a fully-functional computing device in its own right.

In all seriousness, the old UNIX mainframe concept does seem really comfy from the old videos that describe it.

Attached: VT420_with_German_keyboard.jpg (1200x889, 177K)

how are you using Jow Forums then?

We need to destroy the internet lads

w3m

4chin could easily be a BBS.

Shits getting heavier because no one wants to admit that something is done, and developers get paid to develop, and because we've deified the developer no one wants to tell them that rather than start a fun and cool project their job is now to spend the next 5-10 years refining what they have already done. Countless "cool ideas" piled on top of each other.

Not to mention the layers of abstraction.

On the subject of eye candy though, what is starting to annoy me is how heavy "empty" spaces are now. You have "minimalist" designs that weigh a fucking ton (comparatively speaking).

oh yeah? if it's so easy where's your repo?

Yeah let me just roll my own for absolutely no reason: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_BBS_software

A brain to machine code compiler

go back to punch cards so shitposting will take effort and hopefully improve

Attached: 1525388794348.png (380x349, 77K)

Desktops were a mistake.

Attached: ClientronU700.jpg (881x1024, 579K)

Just replace your computer with a SBC that can only give a prompt to log in to SDF.org.

>Graphical User Interfaces were a mistake
Imagine being such a brainlet you have no idea what graphical means and blame everything in the world on the existence of computer graphics. It's the tech equivalent of gold bugs who believe that fiat currency is the devil.

We need TUI desktop environments.
NNTPChan.
I know what you mean.

Imagine being so smart that you purposely misinterpret people just so you can (allegedly) appear even smarter.

>you will never be writing your essay on a UNIX mainframe, using troff, and doing it overnight because there's less system load, and being bathed in a green/amber glow as you do

Attached: dec-vt220-1983.jpg (740x555, 71K)

I agree.

ctrl+alt+F2

Is anyone into making a TUI desktop environment?

There are some things better suited for GUI and some better suited for text. If you obsess all day over text interfaces, you probably have autism and are not choosing the right tool for the job.

Attached: If+its+anime+or+manga+and+its+sfw+it+belongs+_56c6a6392ede151076c6950084bf2628.png (1280x720, 261K)

I am making this. Using GNU Screen as wm, replacing some stuff that can work directly on the tty. SO far I've made mplayer work on the framebuffer.

GUIs aren't inherently the issue, rather the mouse and cursor are. Dreadful.

>English majors actually have a reason why their paper is late and not some long winded bullshit

looool

saw this onm front page

virgins mad cuz beast niggas like me can go on PC???

fuckin bitch ass white bois always mad no matter what.

UNIX mainframe concept could see a comeback with smaller devices as interfaces behind a large horsepower machine in the mainstream. Probably not with this command line wankery though

Would be cool if a workhorse mainframe was included in every home the same as a waterheater and a furnace/central air

This to be quite hones family

honestly think a mix of GUI and text based commands would be ideal

like ls would list your directory, but then you could click on things and scroll around if need be, expand directories for a quick peek, maybe small icons near or color coordination for quicker comprehension.
does this exist?

>honestly think a mix of GUI and text based commands would be ideal
So, IRIX setup?

i use 20 rows

im not familiar with irix, but the video i just watched on it didnt seem to have any unix commands and really just seemed like an early GUI
so no?

Amiga's command line (in Workbench) could have clickable buttons.

>Probably not with this command line wankery though
Then what's even the point?

Attached: Colossal_Cave_Adventure_on_VT100_terminal.jpg (3264x2448, 1.88M)

Use bash scripting.

>not mksh

Attached: img00000011.jpg (240x221, 4K)

Emacs is my favorite tui

irix uses a modified version of motif

Touchscreens are even more cancerous though