/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread "Make new threads you freakin assholes, don't leave it up to a lazy fuck like me to do it" edition

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous thread:

Attached: basedman.jpg (572x370, 86K)

Other urls found in this thread:

slax.org/
i.4cdn.org/wsg/1539164285481.webm
gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#Piracy
gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#Linux
flatkill.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

first for

second for why is puppy linux live usb so slow

it's probably reading everything off the USB itself instead of storing the entire system in RAM which is faster for read/write operations

it says that it successfully loaded into ram though, could it be that 747mb isn't enough for it?
would installing to hdd help?

how much ram you got

check your disk caching, maybe install some package for it

747mb

that's your physical RAM? I thought you were talking about VM memory. puppy's ISO is around 650MB so that's decompressing and storing that in RAM will not leave you with a lot of free memory to work with. that's why the slow performance

try something like SLAX, it's fully featured, uses packages from debian and is much lighter than puppy slax.org/

thank you, I will try that

Uh live distros are usually on squashfs which decompresses to RAM meaning 650MB is the compressed size. It's not decompressing to 747MB. More like 2GB. Don't boot to the Puppy live environment.

noted, thanks m8

How do you make ffmpeg keep the "date modified" of the input file to the output file after encoding?

I'm genuinely amazed it even booted. It's probably decompressing and writing over files non stop.

puppy's iso is actually 200mb, I think he meant to say that 650mb is the decompressed size

Okay so on different computers and distros (ubuntu and *buntu) I downloaded Chrome, installed it but can't find the program, at all, same thing over and over. What am I doing except everyting wrong?

Just change the modified date.

I have hundreds of videos i need to encode.
I need the original date on it so i can sort and find videos on relevant dates

is filesystem metadata really the best way to do what you want?
what about just... file names with dates?

The filenames are not labeled with the filename, i did not have control of that. The "date modified" data is all the data i have.

I'm just saying, the whole point of the unix philosophy is to do one thing and do it well. That means every program isn't going to include every possible filter or file operation or special feature that you want because you're supposed to be able to combine them.
I highly doubt ffmpeg has a built-in feature to copy modification times because that's not really the job of media encoder, and if they start adding stuff like that then where do you draw the line? Should it handle extended file attributes too?

Just combine the commands
>ffmpeg -i $input $output; touch -r $input $output

>i did not have control of that.
no, but you're making a whole new file so maybe now's a good time to update your organizational scheme.

did you try using the package manager?

I dont manage how clients send data to me. I only process it to their specifications. In the real business world, you dont handle how things are sent to you, you make do with what is given to you and required of you and you get paid.
If i told every client to fuck off if they dont have "filename-$EPOCH.mpg" filename format i wouldnt have any business.

So have this as a function should work?
convt264() {
find ./ -name '*.mpg' -exec bash -c 'ffmpeg -i "$0" -c:v libx264 -crf 20 -c:a libopus -b:a 64k -vbr on "${0%%.mp4}.mkv"' {} \;
touch -r "$0" ${0%%.mkv}
}

you get paid to transcode video?

I am looking for a new gpu. I want to go AMD but I have hit a snag in my research. One of my software packages does not support mesa, only proprietary drivers, for both amd and nvidia cards. How are the proprietary amd drivers in linux these days? I'd be using a vega64 if that makes any difference. Also how hard is it to use both an amd and an nvidia gpu in linux?

find ./ -name '*.mpg' -exec bash -c 'ffmpeg -i "$0" -c:v libx264 -crf 20 -c:a libopus -b:a 64k -vbr on "${0%%.mp4}.mkv"; touch -r "$0" "${0%%.mp4}.mkv"' {} \;

Pretty bad, and the long term outlook also has historically been shit on proprietary drivers.

Drop whatever software doesn't support the open source drivers.

This dosent do anything when executed, nothing is printed to stdout and no files are encoded or touched.

That would mean dropping employment. It's not an option. Guess I am buying another Nvidia card. I'll try using a vega64 as a compute device.

>How are the proprietary amd drivers in linux these days?
Nvidia blob drivers are excellent. They are the highest performing drivers and have more options then amd open and blob

Then obviously keep a second PC for employment or maybe virtualize that software (can still be displayed in "seamless" mode)?

Yeah I was pretty happy with Nvidia drivers for sure. I am just running into more OpenCL need as time goes on.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong here?

>Have E485 thinkpad
>download debian x64 .iso
>use unetboot to install .iso onto my usb
>plug usb into thinkpad
>disable bios secureboot
>go to boot menu
>select boot from usb
>nothing happens, it just reloads the bootmenu

I found some info that apparently the E485 requires an edit to the linux boot parameters to work, but apparently I can only do this once grub loads? Grub won't even load to start with. Is there a way to edit the boot parameters on the live usb?

How the fuck am I supposed to install linux on this laptop?
I swear to christ it's like lenovo is actively trying to prevent me from installing linux.

Quick question, is it possible to have boot partition on the same partition as / if i have my / inside of LVM?
basically having separate /boot makes lvm useless to me since if i restore / snapshot, while /boot remains untouched the system will get fucked and i will have to reinstall anyway

Just made the switch. Currently posting this on Xubuntu.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-10-10_03-04-26.png (1920x1080, 408K)

Non urgent question.

In the AUR, many packages of the same have multiple results.

You have the following packages for say jarjar

jarjar
jarjar-git

And sometimes there will be a

jarjar-bin

They all are apparently the same program you’re trying to install.

Which one do you pick? In my specific case, I’m wanting to install the Brave browser.

is this a joke?

Attached: nvidia_fuckyou.webm (1280x720, 722K)

>package-git
source code from the github
>package-bin
binary package, will be quicker to install and is helpful for bigger programs
>package (nothing special)
just regular upstream source files

dumb linus poster

>git
probably pulls source directly from the project without being a "release"
>bin
pulls a binary compiled upstream so you don't have to compile it

Thanks bros. I was 90% sure I knew what the -git packages were but never seen a -bin one until I searched Brave.

>opensuse with packman essentials
You can't get any better than this

> Curious so decide to give Linux a go on secondary laptop
> Try Solus, after some configuring it's pretty solid
> All in all a very pleasant experience
> Find out my area has a LUG
> Check out their website, it looks nice
> They have a subreddit too, but I don't read anything there because reddit is for fags
> Website says to send an email to [address] to get on the mailing list and find out where the weekly meetings are in town
> Decide it might be fun to talk to other people with Linux experience, and learn something
> Send email
> Get delivery status failure message from gmail the next day
> Confused, check their subreddit and look closer
> Last post was three years ago

Well then

Attached: 1535097221444.jpg (1800x1200, 1.27M)

>use unetboot
Maybe that's causing the issue? Stuff like that never worked for me. Either use dd (if you have access to linuks) or rufus if in windows

Hello guys,
im having a problem with Kubuntu. Im using ASUS laptop with dual boot Windows 8.1 and Kubuntu 17. I have been using Kubuntu 17 for a long time and had no problems. Yesterday decided to upgrade to kubuntu 18.04 and upgrade process finished sucessfully but after a restart my Kubuntu boots to a black screen. At first there is a Kubuntu logo glowing and then screen becomes black.
Anyone have this problem or know what to do?

Attached: 1536118165546.jpg (447x456, 32K)

I do most of my work in terminal emulator with tmux so I want to ditch window manager/x11 and go straight with tty, but I need a modern web browser. Is there anything that works over directfb like vlc does or is there any other option? i need something much better than netsurf how do kiosks handle this? I just want full screen browser that I can switch over with ctrl alt fn.

he's being sarcastic

Is it worth it to learn about the linux kernal? Asking for a friend and don't still live with my mom...

install gentoo

No.

I used rufus afterwards and it worked, unetboot was causing the issue somehow.

I'm still running into a shitton of miscellaneous problems though:

My default user wasn't put into the sudoers file, cd .. doesn't go up the file hierarchy from /home, upgrading to debian-testing requires reading several pages that for some reason aren't as simple as 'copy paste this' despite inferring that's all you need to do, wifi not working/existing on the default install, nano not having an undo command without having to edit some options file somewhere...

It's amazing how frustrating it is just to get linux to work properly. I'll probably end up spending the next hour figuring out how to get wifi to work, and I'm sure once my upgrade to debian testing is finished the damn thing won't boot or something equally ridiculous.

humbly requesting that .webm of stallman pouring himself a cup of tea or a source of that
please

fuckin called it

debian booted without a gui

because of course upgrading would fuck that up. Now to spend 3 hours researching how to fix it

Trying out the zen kernel after installing a fresh Arch on my new laptop instead of going with the LTS version as usual.

Noticed a nominal difference in compile times for my typical AUR packages and my CPU didn't run as hot.

Is this a good wallpaper? Tired of keeping an all black theme. Want to lighten things up.

Attached: bucklake.jpg (3840x2160, 166K)

Plasma on 18.04 kubuntu deleted the shutdown option and won't start the compositor automatically. I guess deleting the config files can help on it as a new account got everything right again. The only thing i would miss are the shortcuts, but some german brainlet thought it would be good idea to separate shortcut settings in two section (global and for applications?)
I want to back up that as that would be pain in the ass to spend a whole day to fix all the shitty defaults. Any tips?

Attached: 3535afdcbd1233eeb2e163897ba15a7e-1461874552618.jpg (2960x2960, 753K)

Can anyone tell me the basics on [spoiler]pirating games on linux? is it dumb to execute .sh files?[/spoiler]

i.4cdn.org/wsg/1539164285481.webm

gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#Piracy
gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#Linux

Stuff you don't trust belongs into a VM.

sasuga linux

brb now researching how to install amdgpu drivers

>installing linux is easy!

Attached: Clipboard01.jpg (2584x1927, 2.04M)

>x
>x not found
fuck off karly and go back to modeling

Configuring linux is bloat. Imagine this faggot installing OBSD. :^)

I'm just an average noob trying to get an operating system that apparently 'just werks' to actually do that.

I'm now on my 5th hour of installing debian.

Wine and firejail

>I'm now on my 5th hour of installing debian.
300+ minutes wasn't enough to search for a solution or follow an actual tutorial? Congratulation. install gentoo

>he can't read shell scripts
Current state of Jow Forums

>baseless conclusions
Shitposting

Goog luck reading binary data.

Being a lazy fuck doesn't make your shitpost better
>.sh
>binary
While i know it's possible to encrypt shell scripts and still keep it executable, it's still made me smile.

I'm tired of changing distro.
I'm just going for Ubuntu 16.04.5

You braindead retard. Surly that 1.5 G .sh file contains funny shell commands.

Interesting flatkill.org/

I guess you aren't into automated testing, but it's ok to be a tech illiterate.

My problem didn't start with xserver not working, it started with debian not even wanting to install in the first place, and it's been a cascading series of problems since:

Debian stable more or less works, although I still have yet to figure out how to get wifi functioning. So now I'm reinstalling from usb back to that.

I figured debian would be at least as easy to get functioning as windows, but that is not the case.

>I figured debian would be at least as easy to get functioning as windows, but that is not the case.
you figured wrong
stable has ancient versions of packages, it's better suited for servers than personal computers
testing/unstable are untested and it's not their main priority to have them work well for regular users

So how the fuck are you exactly supposed to manage your env on Linux? Things like adding things to PATH.

Obviously you want these changes to be global, so you shouldn't put them under HOME, right? Then how are you supposed to back them up if you reinstall your OS? Where exactly are you supposed to put them? If you put them under /etc/environment you can't use recursive definitions such as PATH=$PATH:xxx, so you'd have to hunt down the initial PATH value and add it there. Then again if you use a recursive definition it will get re-evaluated each time you source your environment.

And how are you supposed to reload your env after you for example add something to PATH? If it's in /etc/environment you'll have to fucking logout and log back in for the changes to take effect. What if I want to make my env global but also have the env update automatically for each new non-login shell I open? How are you even supposed to do that?

Answering my own question

Maybe hard-code initial values into /etc/environment, then source it on each new bash instance for changes to take effect without re-login? And take manual care of backing up the env file.

Is this the standard way to do it in Linux?

Linux is a kernel.

And the commonplace name used for OSes that use Linux as their kernel. Env management certainly isn't implemented by GNU so adding it into the name would still fail to encompass the issue I'm asking about.

it's distro dependent I guess, I've always defined my global path in /etc/profile

and also to update paths use the command source
source /etc/profile

>>installing linux is easy!
>skips past the 500 installs-to-a-desktop distros to install debian base
don't complain about the depth of the water after walking over to the deep end

Alright, /etc/profile seems the most suitable option for my use case here

I have a feeling the answer to both of your problems is that you need to boot debian with an iso that comes loaded with non-free firmware and will also need to enable the non-free repositories afterwards.

Android*

>want to make an epic openbox rice
>screen tearing everywhere because compton is shit
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Fuck you people who blame software for their own faults.

I'm still getting screen tearing in fullscreen programs like games. I'm using XFCE/XFWM and I've got force composition pipeline turned on in my nvidia X settings. Any ideas?

compton --backend glx --paint-on-overlay --vsync opengl-swc

huh?

Just installed antergos. How do I put /tmp in my root instead of the default tmpfs?

why doesn't firefox have a "save image" option, I use this setting because I don't want firefox to open the file dialog for every link/image I save, I want it to download straight to my downloads folder

Attached: 2018-10-10_14:38:21.png (686x174, 12K)

Gond worthy. If you're running zen kernel i think it's in theme

Why is getting Wayland on Bebbian such a mystery?

Attached: iur[1].gif (500x300, 128K)

What's the most recent hardware that I can expect to work with a stodgy distro like Debian stable? I have a relative with a dying laptop who asked me about a Linux machine to replace it. They have no need to be bleeding edge. or any need for much beyond a web browser, for that matter. I have an H97 board and an old i3 that'd work, but he might insist on new hardware instead of stuff from my parts bin.

Attached: 1514673098074.jpg (658x765, 209K)

>zen kernel
why making the move user?

looking for something similar to lightshot (screencap tool) but for linux. Shutter doesn't satisfy me, you have to deal with too many menus and this is supposed to be fast.

any idea how the radeon pro drivers do on Linux?

wheylend is a meme.
bretty gud :DD