2019 - The year of DDR5 and PCIe 5.0

Yet you see people buy DDR4 boards. WHY?

anandtech.com/show/12710/cadence-micron-demo-ddr5-subsystem
theregister.co.uk/2017/06/13/pcie_5_fast_tracked/

Attached: 2019.jpg (1183x388, 63K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/column/semicon/1080032.html
pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/column/semicon/1076835.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Nigger I just upgraded my shit, fuck off.

Attached: 1521999349121.png (696x860, 421K)

The eternal wait fagging continues. Was considering upgrading my system but if Intel and AMD are coming out with new motherboards and processors that support ddr5 I might as well wait. I believe the article predicts late 2019 possibly 2020 for desktop pc adoption.

but we haven't saturated PCIE 2.0 yet. Gen 4 will be a marketing meme and DDR5 will be expensive as fuck for minimal actual improvements to performance, except perhaps on AMD where faster memory is more important

Because people need their computers now not 5 years from now when this tech will actually be price competitive with ddr4. Besides features wise there's little motivation to adopt it right now since DDR4 is good enough.

How do they expect to double PCI rates in two years when last time it took seven years?

AMD's CPUs already scale pretty well with RAM speed

I'd imagine the earliest we'll see DDR5 won't be until 2020 at least.

Zen 2 is already in production more or less so its memory controller is set in stone as DDR4. It's also unlikely they'd change the IMC for a zen 2 refresh. Zen 3 on an AM4+ platform is likely when we'll see it.

As for Intel, they might adopt it sooner as they have a competitive reason for doing so, but given their manufacturing woes who knows when we'll actually see it from them.

WHO cares about DDR5?
ddr4 was a small jump from ddr3.
even ddr4 at 5,000mhz is a small improvement over 3,000mhz ddr4.

I'm still using DDR3. What's the big deal?

fpbp

Graphics cards haven't saturated PCI-e 2.0 x16 yet. Remember other PCI-e cards exist and other size slots. An x1 slot with twice the data rate. Your m.2 slot on an x4 bus with twice the data rate.

Because not all of us are completely clueless? DDR5 isn't going to be hitting the desktop for several more years. You won't see anything using it until very late next year or into 2020, and the first devices will be servers and SoCs. It's going to be at least 2021 before there's a desktop platform with DDR5 support.

Enjoy your wait.

DDR4 launch prices were ridiculously expensive, it took an entire year for it to drop prices until memory makers figured price fixing is the future.

Memory prices aren't going down and OP is shilling for DDR5 which is going to be even more expensive than DDR4.

Nigger i've got 32gb of DDR3, what the hell I need to upgrade for?

DDR3 to DDR4 barely changed anything despite the high increase in bandwidth. DDR5 won't be different.

More (and wider) cores need more bandwidth.
You didn't need it before.
You need it now.
AMD is literally doubling the L3$ in Zen2 to avoid it choking on memory.

Soo in 5 years possibly 1 in 3 people will own a DDR5 device.
Can't wait.

Attached: cadence_ddr5 adoption_575px.jpg (678x446, 38K)

Everything above ddr3 is a meme

Wasn't PCIe 5.0 supposed to be already released?

No, not even close.

DDR5 isn't coming before 2021

I'm waiting to upgrade the whole package to have 32 GB of ram in a single 2x16 kit because 4x kits are somehow fucking up with motherboards all over
I just hope the processor on this machine will live that long

>but we haven't saturated PCIE 2.0 yet
Wrong. You underestimate PCIe usage. All peripherals are connected via PCIe and we have reached the point where PCIe 3.0 lane is not sufficient for a single NVMe drive. And CPUs don't provide enough lanes to power shitton SATA and USB ports normies like so much and leave 16x (or even 8x) lanes for GPU.
DDR5 is a meme though. It won't come to consumer market anytime soon and when it does, it will be inferior to overclocked DDR4 for a a few years (like when DDR4 2133 CL14 came out but everyone had DDR3 2400 CL12 running).

7nm Ryzen 3000 + DDR5 7nm

Coincident?

Attached: RAMBUS-HBM3-and-DDR5-Memory.jpg (1260x639, 95K)

>overclocked DDR4
You realize the difference between stock DDR4 and OC DDR4 outside of a few specific usages is negligible at best, right?

Honestly more cores could use more memory channels.

>when the ram is clocked higher than your cpu

Attached: concerned anime girl.jpg (1280x1024, 235K)

You must be stupid.

And how exactly does that justify transition to DDR5?

It's not though. The real frequency is half rated speed.

Why didn't you "Just Wait"™®

AMD will be the last company to implement DDR5 Compatability. Why worry about it now. This seems like a 2020 problem.

It doesn't.
But you were comparing it to OC DDR4 which is like 1.5 more fps than stock DDR4 and AMD is finished

Because waiting is not fun.

There was less demand back when we had 0.8Gbps mechanical drives. My NVMe drive hits 28Gbps. My SSD 6Gbps. Gaming is finally possible at 60FPS at 4K etc.

The demand is there unlike back in ye olde times.

Here are some JEDEC Docs that shows the differences between DDR4 & DDR5 (in Japanese)
The people who say the jump is not big and it's just an "Overclocked DDR4"are unbelievably ignorant

pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/column/semicon/1080032.html
pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/column/semicon/1076835.html

Attached: JEDECphoto008.jpg (1140x278, 71K)

That's completely wrong though. Ryzen systems see massive gains from faster RAM, and even Intel systems see a non-negligible boost. And yes, we are talking gaming performance, because that's what 90% of you fags use your desktop for, no matter what you claim.

>Massive gains
>2 fps
AMD IS FINISHED

Can't wait for price fixing to continue with DDR5!

You won't see any DDR5 or PCIe 5.0 support until 2020

PCIe 5.0 spec hasn't even been released and it usually takes a year of validation before anything is released to the consumers

You completely missed the point

>PCIe 5.0
Hold your horses, we haven't even got PCIe 4.0 yet.

>Yet you see people buy DDR4 boards. WHY?
Well I don't know maybe because the only motherboards available are DDR4 numbnuts

>fell for the "you need 16gb ram" meme
>the only reason i use more than 4gb is because i have a 10gb ramdisk for browsers and IDEs

Can you even read?

Low power DIMMs already hit 5500mhz, standard power ones, which use less power than LDDDR4, are hitting 6000mhz and higher.
Capacity is higher than what DDR4 is capable of.
InterDIMM communication is faster.
Total latency vs DDR4 will decrease, just as mature DDR4 improved over DDR3.

Its better on every front. Only Luddites complain about tech advancing.

>Be corelet
>DDR still faster at half data rate
Why live?

Attached: 1461517578535.png (500x358, 179K)

>Ryzen ver3 to drop when PCI/DDR 5 drop
>AMD NAVI over the horizon
>Intel goes bankrupt
the future looks bright Jow Forumsbros

>I'd imagine the earliest we'll see DDR5 won't be until 2020 at least.
Zen 5 with PCIe 5.0 and DDR5 on platform AM5.
You know that's going to happen

Good, then the ddr4 prices will FINALLY drop

Attached: IMG-20181004-WA0016.jpg (448x448, 14K)

this

It is twice as fast you fucking retard

They estimate consumer adoption in 2022, you have time to enjoy your new system.