Can games actually be Multicore?

ive seen so many conflicting benchmarks like sure you can show dif cpus and see others lagging behind with lower cores but don't the i5 and i3 use dif actual cores so you cant compare them that way.

this guy disabled cores and it made 0 difference even on dx12 games 3months ago
youtube.com/watch?v=pBrDKnJ6vjQ

and I know you guys like posting screenshots of task manager but I don't think that's accurate and doesn't actually show what's going on in the cpu and is literally false information.

obviously if the higher core models use better architecture and better cores they are better anyway but if you can disable all the cores beside 1or2 and get the same FPS why are we buying this shit why doesn't intel and amd make high quality gamer focused single cores.

Attached: th.jpg (474x355, 21K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/bQ3kHxXa5hk
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

the last 2 assasin's creed games
doesn't matter what processor you use, it'll run all your cores at 99% whenever you touch the controller

: - )

task manager lies to you its not accurate information doesn't actually show how many cores being used.

you understand computers about as well as game devs do congrats
really it's because good parallelism in video games requires skills that could get you a much better higher paying job than making video games with management that aren't retarded

That's because most games today are optimized for 2 cores, only a handful will eat 4 or more.

Devs will always optimize for the least so it will take a long while before 6-cores and above will be the new normal

>most games today are optimized

Attached: 1511595037742.gif (506x283, 3.43M)

>obviously if the higher core models use better architecture and better cores they are better anyway but if you can disable all the cores beside 1or2 and get the same FPS why are we buying this shit why doesn't intel and amd make high quality gamer focused single cores.

Computers are not for gayming. It's great that we can play games on them, but that is not their purpose. Games can indeed be multi-threaded and there are some advancements coming in commercial engines that will make it the easiest it's ever been to multi-thread games

If you count all games in existence, he's not wrong. But it grossly misrepresents the last 5-10 years. But you can go all the way back to say, lost planet. Which is designed to be able to utilize up to 8 threads. The modern apis can communicate with the gpu over multiple threads for prefetching and back buffer. Any game that runs a lot of physics calculations, or tracks multiple entities can scale with cores. But they're not necessarily all designed to do so.

>That's because most games today are optimized for 2 cores, only a handful will eat 4 or more
Complete and utter fucking horse shit and has been four about four years now. Most games won't even fucking launch on a CPU with less than four threads any more, and many scale to far more than four threads. Dragon Age: Cisquisition was the first game I remember that wouldn't even run dual cores, and that was in 2014. In fact, quad core i5s perform like absolute shit in the majority of new titles, with horrible minimums due to the games wanting at least a quad core with Hyperthreading.

You retarded boomers don't actually pay any attention to what's going and think everything's still the same as it was a decade ago. We saw literally this fucking week how crippled a 2700X was with half its cores disabled in Intel's paid benchmarks. Yet JayzGayBalls says otherwise, so clearly we'll listen to that fat fucking faggot instead.

youtu.be/bQ3kHxXa5hk

Forgot one thing, at this point in time it's not a question whether or not games CAN use more than 4 threads, it's whether or not the games are doing enough calculations to NEED more. But ultimately having additional cores, while not necessarily affecting your average performance, can have significant impact on things such as frametime averages, and minimum framerates. Pic related, clearly this is gpu bound, or frame capped, but you can see the minimums improve as the thread count scales up.

Attached: aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9aL0gvNzU1NTQ5L29yaWdpbmFsL0ZGWFYtTVNJLVJYLTU4MC1HYW1pbmctOEct (711x533, 49K)

It's something intel users have been saying for years. It's nice to see some mainstream reddit faggot bring it up on his Youtube channel, hopefully this will help put an and to the core meme once and for all.

holy fuck what a retarded question... here, this board might be more appealing to you

I-it was our turn!

Attached: you.jpg (653x726, 155K)

>Current years
>Games optimized for anything
Yeah... no
If anything, they're optimized for consoles

wrong your a dumb ass with a i7.

i3/i5/i7 all use exactly the same dies but with different cores and features disabled.

>Can games actually be Multicore?
Yes
/thread

are you sure about that I was told 8350k uses a 7600k die which is diferent to a 7700k die.

intel even list them on their product page as like M1k and PL2 and stuff for the dif teirs.

I don't think its just the same thing with shit disabled its actually dif die printing.

You can't /thread your own post you fucking newfag

7600k is a 7700k with ht and some cache disabled along with lowered clocks. The coffee I3's are effectively kaby I5's with no turbo. The 8350k actually has the full 8mb of cache like the 7700k. The fact that the coffee I3's are just rebranded kaby cpus is evident in the official memory support.

Intel only makes a handul of dies. The desktop lineup all descends from the yeilds on the top chip (currently 8700K) until you hit the teeny tiny chips which use a different die. Equally nearly all of the xeons are based off their XCC die and get cut down as needed.

I tested 4 cores with hyperthreading on vs off and it made a big difference desu

He just did

If you are running 4k now with one of the new gpus the cpu is the bottle neck just for how fast it can hand things to the gpu.

Other then that games are only slightly more optimized then a few years ago and cores will barely be used.

>bottle neck just for how fast it can hand things to the gpu.

I fukken love DX11!

Isn't 4k, like literally the exact opposite? The GPU can't keep up with the CPU because of the resolution. Clearly the CPU can push more than 60 frames worth of shit to the GPU as seen in any lower resolution test.

I wrote pong as a multithreaded program for a basic embedded systems class in college. Any game can be multithreaded if you want.

its the 3d rendering engine that cant be multithreaded you retard not your shitty game.

you cant make a 3d game multithreaded its literally impossible.

I have an i5-3570K at 4ghz (quad core).

I am generally CPU limited in modern demanding games like MHW, AssCreed or even GTA V.

I'm actually thinking of buying the new i7-9700K.
I can't consider AMD because one of my favorite games is KSP and it's entirely single-threaded and AMD single-threaded performance is garbage.

Attached: comfy.jpg (1000x1000, 138K)

>Can games actually be Multicore
Can you actually not be clinically retarded? Serious question.

You're correct, it's why lower resolution is used to examine the scaling of a given CPU.

WE WUZ BEST TRANSISTOR FAB

Attached: 1539079592707.jpg (1035x1000, 189K)

t. 2011

The only thing a game can meaningfully use threading for is stuff like AI and pathfinding, which means that you’re never really going to get a good measure of performance as nearly all game types aside from RTS don’t make use of enough characters to give a high end CPU a workout.
Open world games may benefit with regard to crowd simulation, however they become bottlenecked in other aspects long before the CPU does, because open world games not only need to draw a huge amount of content and with a certain degree of quality, but avoid technical issues like pop-in while doing so. You’ll run out of the ability to render sufficient additional textures and models for all the actors long before the AI becomes difficult for the CPU to calculate. This is why most CPU stress tests in games are done at low graphics settings and resolution.
Games are quite simply a “reactive” type of experience most of the time - if you’re not touching the controller, the game isn’t having to process anything, and that means the CPU doesn’t have anything to do except managerial work for the GPU.

Mate, I am sure any half-decent modern CPU will run KSP. AMD or intel.

delid service and wait until zen 2

Overwatch (2016) uses up to 6

No.

Attached: 7.jpg (640x360, 183K)

this

Paralellism is a marketing meme that has little real world benefits.

Just ask yourself: Why do games not look MUCH better than did years before while at the same time really high FPS are becoming the new normal?

We've hit the ceiling with rasterization. Seriously it's an algorithm that has been hacked, and then hacked and then the tiny little bits left over hacked again. We are near the end of the road with where rasterization can go.

Really that's it? Dig a little deeper. I'm not saying it's easy, but games are capable of being more multi-threaded than they currently are. Even Unity has a multi-threaded job system coming to make this easier.