Microsoft open-sources its patent portfolio

zdnet.com/article/microsoft-open-sources-its-entire-patent-portfolio/

?

Attached: 1523756503310.png (835x1093, 338K)

Other urls found in this thread:

blogs.microsoft.com/eupolicy/transparency-center/
howtogeek.com/183766/why-microsoft-makes-5-to-15-from-every-android-device-sold/
github.com/Microsoft/winfile/
youtube.com/watch?v=Vhh_GeBPOhs
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Is there any way we can get a Code-of-Conduct applied here to ensure it's inclusive towards everyone?

Attached: 1497327616709.jpg (1080x1080, 774K)

Attached: 1538870245819.webm (1440x508, 1.75M)

I'm just interested if this will make video gaming better on Linux lmao.

Tf is an open patent

Attached: 1533840689743.gif (403x447, 316K)

>attempt at rebranding by opening up a bunch of things that are meaningless to them anyway.

Call me when they open source windows and/or Office.

>Microsoft
>patents
so? there is literally nothing of value in there.

>inb4 "now i can copy and sell the power connector for the surface"
kys

does this mean the truetype patches will be merged into mainline freetype2?

Where can I get the sources to compile the latest version of Windows 10, Edge, DirectX 12 and all of the other Windows components?

this
I don't give a shit until they open source directX

Are you a member of OIN?

blogs.microsoft.com/eupolicy/transparency-center/

weird, I can get the entire source code of my Linux distro (kernel, compilers & utilities, desktop environment and applications) just by cloning the repos. How is that possible?

And what's the Black Mirror twist in that?

Embrace, extend, extinguish. We are in the extend phase.

every now and again comes there a wee bum that you KNOW will mark a month and year, no matter when in the future you see it.

SAVED
A
V
E
D

B A S E D . M S
It was a day like any other. Apple gets caught fucking over a customer for $1200 for a 2 min repair, while ensuring its machines can only be repaired by them, because. Then, Microsoft turned around and said, 'here, our patents, shitloads of em. We earn $3-$4b p.a. from these. They are yours, For Free.'
Today was a good day, and fuck the moaners. Based MS. Win10 is still a hunk of merde tho.

Extend
Embrace
Extinguish

this isn't even extend embrace extinguish, it's just staight up lying

talk to me about it when they stop their fakeass bullshit patent trolling extortion on GNU/linux vendors and android phone makers

They are losing grip on their OS market
What they're doing is letting companies use their products "for free*" in a desperate attempt to increase marketshare for everything they have, so they can tie it to their own OS and maybe it won't just be a gargantuan bonfire in 2 years (it will)

For what purpose?

how exactly

windows desktop market share has been pretty much the same it was 5 years ago

>desktop
the world is not desktop anymore.

their generic fucking patents ("filesystems","graphical web page", "icons", "toolbars") were probably gonna expire in 2019/20 anyway

Based frenchie using his birth-given right to surrender by getting on all fours and letting Microsoft push its patents inside his ass until his blood and anal mucus form a thick dark red foam.

t. zoomer

all the real work happens on desktop and will continue to unless android can develop real poweruser applications instead of crippled slow garbage

>When you finally get a chance to express your deepest fantasy

Don't worry tranny, no one will ever rape you.

I need them to give up the FAT filesystem patent desu

What for?

howtogeek.com/183766/why-microsoft-makes-5-to-15-from-every-android-device-sold/

Good.
Lintoddlers can’t just go around stealing what isn’t there’s.

So lemme see if I've got this right
>OIN had 1300 patents before
>MS is adding over 60,000 patents to the mix

""stealing""

E E E
E
E

I have only two observations.
> The end of an era
> Steve Ballmer's worst nightmare

patent for FAT expired in 2017

microsoft stole every single thing there is from xerox at&t and apple btw

I don't like Microsoft either but you have to give them credit for that

>open sources directx
>it uses a bunch of unportable windows apis
>can only run on linux using wine
kek @ u

Motherfucker that's scary.

EMBRACE

EXTEND

EXTINGUISH

Attached: shit.png (472x470, 489K)

wtf I love Microgoy now!

SAY IT WITH ME:
EMBRACE
EXTEND
EXTINGUISH.

>Win10 is still a hunk of merde tho.
>TOTALLY BASED
>software still an unusable piece of shit though

open source windows xp right now, windows vista in 2019 and windows 7 in 2020 anything less is triple E tactics
and I do mean everything not just directx without old stuff like directdraw all or nothing

I'm am genuinely curious to try using a windows 10 S mode laptop without turning S mode off to see if it is viable

Now I can get Windows license keys for free!
I'm a good, legit boy.

kek

heck if only I had waited a few seconds

Satya Nadella is a cloud network guy. I think they're doing what Apple did with BSD. Their OS isn't the big money maker anymore. It's all about services.

Neck yourself you literal satan spawn. Microsoft stole every piece of code where they could.

thanks microsoft for open soresing your abandonware so volunteers can fix your spaghetti code and make it work on windows 10 instead of you having to pay millions
github.com/Microsoft/winfile/

J-JUST BELIEVE US GOYS, WE'VE GOT ALL THE PATENTS, WE LOVE OPEN SOURCE

COME ON SAY IT WITH ME

EMBRACE

EXTEND

EXTINGUISH!!!!!!!

Attached: 1516500083843.gif (320x240, 626K)

Could, but the "problem" is that even with a massive community Linux probably couldn't catch up to it in less than 5 years.

Only to faggots
Most people don't realize that yes it is aids in some aspects, but it's also a bigger and more complex os

DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS

youtube.com/watch?v=Vhh_GeBPOhs

You clearly don't know what this means. All this means is that the members of that group (Google, Intel, IBM, Canonical, Red Hat, SUSE, etcetera) can use some of Microsoft's patents without paying fees.
What this means is that Google will no longer have to pay Microsoft for Android because MS made an obscure patent back in 1998.

Bill Gates himself could bust down my door right now and force his daughter to deepthroat my cock and I still wouldn't trust Microsoft

I wouldn't trust a guy who let his daughter blow you either.

Then you shouldn't trust a scumbag company prostrating its intellectual property before its rivals either.

There has to be some catch to this
Is this 60,000 patents that expire next year

At a guess most of these patents benefit server side stuff? A lot of companies run windows VMs under linux after all.

>useless patents about to expire
>lel let's open source them too make us look good

Opensource doesn't mean its free(libre) so what I wonder is will this actually mean something or is it like apples open source where you can just view the code but nothing else?