Hey Jow Forums I need to learn C++, but I can't code at all...

Hey Jow Forums I need to learn C++, but I can't code at all, what languages and resources should I use before and during learning c++?

Attached: 1527221122281.png (890x670, 88K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAE85DE8440AA6B83
archive.is/9Bjof
marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=151233345723889&w=2
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

don't learn any other languages before c++
it will just make you lazy

Learn OCaml then Rust.

Read SICP first if you never code before.

Attached: 1536063169602.png (1160x1739, 2.28M)

If you don't know how to program, start with an explicitly typed, verbose language so you understand what's going on.
It may get a lot of shit here, but Java is a great language to start learning. You don't have to worry about memory management and you'll also learn a programming paradigm from it. After that, when you learn c++ all you really have to worry about is the language's syntax (there are at least 5 ways to essentially do the same thing) and conventions, as well as memory management.

This

>what languages and resources should I use before learning c++

Just learn C++, retard.

Java is a great beginner language.

Just get a c++ book. Try to get something written after 2011 because c++11 changed quite a few things. While anything before is still valid, there's good reasons we write a bit differently now.

Why do you need to learn C++? Why do you need to learn a programming language? Maybe there's a better language for the task.

Never liked books too much to get into a language. I would use a high quality video course. Books are for later imo.

>I would use a high quality video course
Hmm. I'll look but don't get your hopes up...

How are you in a position where you need to program something but you can't program at all?

Rust is a million times better for this purpose. It's even more strongly typed than Java and you also don't have to worry about memory.

rust is flavour of the month

>been using Rust for two years

rust is fucking gay
just use c++, zoomer

I'd rather write code that works, thank you

maybe you should get better at programming instead of hopping languages

Alright, I skimmed this series should do good for you assumes that you know nothing.
>youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAE85DE8440AA6B83
Do understand that about 2/3 of what you learn in this series will transfer directly to c. Most c will work in c++ but c++ has additional features so the same is not true in reverse. C has...
>No classes
>No passing by reference (the tutorial series messes up this terminology)
>No operator overloading
>No member functions for structs
Also understand that this tutorial series is very basic and doesn't seem to cover very much of the c++ standard library or modern features. If you are looking for a job, you'll need to learn these too.
Rust is garbage. Only a year ago it couldn't even compile itself on 32bit systems because it's so inefficient.

Attached: theo_de_based.jpg (200x198, 3K)

see
>Only a year ago it couldn't even compile itself on 32bit systems because it's so inefficient.
that's not an issue anymore. and who gives a shit about 32bit system? how about come up with an actual argument that applies to Rust today.

is there any value for someone working in web dev to learn C/C++?

you could use Rust for 10 years and still be a shit programmer, because it's a crutch

you can write in any language for 10 years and still be a shit programmer. you can write shitcode in any language. If anything, Rust forces you to learn safe programming practices.

>value
>working in web dev
Pick one.

>that's not an issue anymore. and who gives a shit about 32bit system? how about come up with an actual argument that applies to Rust today.
Literally this attitude is why it is a horrible replacement for c++ and c. You proved my point.

Attached: 1392350050887.jpg (2448x3264, 567K)

if you want to do something other than webdev, yes

>it was bad in the past, it is unforgivable! C and C++ are HOLY and have never been bad!

You can write a web API in c++ but be careful because buffer overflows and other things are a real threat. On the bright side, it will be fast, portable, and efficient. Personally, I wouldn't.

I have seen too many languages come and go. If it really catches on I can learn it quickly anyway.

C and c++ from the very start were designed to be fast, efficient, portable, and readable. Rust on the other hand, was not designed to be efficient. Stop shilling in a c++ thread. No one here is saying c++ is perfect. If anyone is claiming perfection it's you with rust.

the lynda course is ok
it can be found on megalinks

Javascript or python, maybe some HTML just for fun.

Or maybe a penis, a nice big juicy one, or a cute small one.

eyy why not matlab or python?

Octave is actually pretty solid. C# is also really polished.

What are the best books to read when learning Computer Science? Also, best books for C#?

Attached: 51H17R+bW8L._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (333x499, 34K)

No language is perfect, of course Rust has issues. I don't know what you mean when you say Rust wasn't designed to be efficient. It is literally designed to be an alternative to C and C++.

archive.is/9Bjof
Rust's performance is very comparable to C and in some cases better.

>designed to be an alternative to C and C++
Kek, when it's compiler is even remotely efficient I might change my mind.

Attached: lang_spouses.jpg (492x490, 64K)

Keep in mind that the most secure os won't even touch Rust.
marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=151233345723889&w=2

Attached: Screenshot_20180918_190254.png (644x907, 854K)

>and in some cases better.
Prove it. No cherrypicked benchmarks allowed where the person who wrote the c is a brainlet.

its required for a university module

I cheated last year but I actually want to learn how to code and do the work properly

I try and do the work and follow the lectures set on the course but I can't understand the lectures on C++

I gave you a link user.

>what languages and resources should I use before and during learning c++?
Language - English
Use books as a resource

>Ignoring that the results where rust was slightly faster used more memory and was more CPU intensive
Do you know what efficient even means?

thanks, I'll watch it

>memory-safe language
>forces you to learn safe programming practices
explain

Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++
>Written by Bjarne Stroustrup (invented C++).
>Aimed at intelligent novices.
If you can't follow this book then you can't learn C++ as a first language, sorry.

C# in Depth, 3rd Edition.
4th Edition will be released next year.