>2018
>using ubuntu
>watching TV show on full screen in VLC
>go to alt+tab to another window from full screen
>screen freezes on a frame in the video but sound keeps playing
>entire system locks up, can't even ctrl+alt+f* to get to different TTY to kill the process
>but hey at least the sound is still playing
>even REISUB doesn't work
>have to hard reboot just to get things working again
>some catastrophic lockup or freeze like this happens literally every week on Linux
Haha, Loonix "just werks" Jow Forums said.

Linux is more stable than windows, Jow Forums said.

epic, simply epic.

Attached: 1487323965269.jpg (957x621, 87K)

have you tried anything other than ubuntu? gnome is really really really bad. if you're not comfortable with it just go back to windows, {windows 7, mind you, not (((10)))}.

Stop using a buggy distro.
7 is just as bad as 10.

I used KDE on Fedora a while back but this was back in the KDE4 days so things weren't much better.

At least KDE applications/widgets would just crash quickly instead of locking up your entire system.

Care to explain why?

GNOME is literally the Windows explorer of desktops dude. Try Lubuntu or something. That shit never crashed ANYTHING for me.

Explain what?

Are you fucking dim? Explain why 7 is just as bad as 10.

Yeah, I really like the large variety of packages and third party (even proprietary) software available for Ubuntu/Debian so I'll probably stick with a Debian-based Distro for a while, but goddamn is it frustrating to see how bad Ubuntu/Gnome has gotten, even compared to a few years ago. Not entirely sure if it's gnome or something else causing it. Absolutely no reason alt+tabbing should lock up my entire computer.

Should be pretty clear, they're both proprietary software.

>>using udindu

Attached: 1530772505901.jpg (1000x1000, 55K)

SAME FUCKING PROBLEM

And it happens on ubuntu 16, 17 and 18

That's a very weird issue but It's to be expected on Ubuntu. Ubuntu is garbage, cue the amazon webm. Lubuntu shouldn't give you alot of trouble, and has a similar UI to Windows. Also it runs at 180mb of ram on idle, much less bloated than Ubuntu's gnome. They have the same packages aswell, so don't worry about that. Lubuntu is still Ubuntu, just with a better DE.

I'll probably check it out. How stable is KDE these days? I might try that again as well, if only for nostalgia value.

I have no idea. In my experience every other DE but lxqt, xfce, and icewm are just all either bugged out to shit or have horrendous modern looking garbage and are unusable.

Attached: 1539294245054.jpg (540x720, 35K)

Yep, it's hard to reproduce -- not entirely sure what triggers it aside from the alt+tab but I think it might have to do with alt+tabbing too rapidly or something because I remember I was doing that a couple of the times.

Still, it's not the only time I've experienced full-on lockups on default Ubuntu installation (either with gnome or unity)

I remember one time it locked up because of a a single fucking web push notification on Firefox. Not even multiple "stacking" notifications, but just a single web push notification.

Marko Filipovic:
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux,
is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux.
Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component
of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell
utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day,
without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU
which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are
not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a
part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system
that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run.
The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself;
it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is
normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system
is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux"
distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

I actually kind of like the sleek modern looking stuff, but I guess it always comes for a tradeoff of stability and performance.

Probably just going to get frustrated eventually, say fuck it and end up ricing i3 or maybe openbox. My impression of ricing those kind of minimalist DE/WMs is that you have to fight with them a lot at first to get it the way you want, but once you do there's no surprises. And there's also the learning curve to a tiling WM like i3 with all the shortcuts.

I had a 20 second freeze everytime I tried to change language with hotkeys on guest screen in ubuntu.

>shit like OP said happens constantly
>no one bats an eye
>happens one time on windows
>people lose their minds

>say to use linux
>installs "ubuntu"
>complains
Install linux.

>Using vlc
Based retard

It doesn't matter if it was VLC or MPV, there is no reason that alt+tabbing out of the full screen window should freeze the entire system. Your retarded video software religious war is completely irrelevant to the discussion at hand.

>LxQt
Lxqt *is* bugged out trash
Try enlightenment or JWM (its just as good as icewm)

Im not discussing anything, Im pointing at OP retardation

But I like Gnome's UI the best.

Then get a mac and fuck off

Vlc is good faggot

>using ubuntu
absolute meme distro with no direction
I'm so glad it got replaced by Manjaro

>using a player that displays wrong colours
NPC

Happens on distros using systemd, not joking.

install gentoo

>2k!8
>posting frogs
Go to Hell.

>Using Ubuntu
You did this to yourself user

It's gnome. I actually [spoiler]liked[/spoiler] gnome, but it really is a buggy, crashy, bloated piece of shit, objectively. RIP. Use kde istead

>Uses kiketel
>surprised he can't alt-tab without fucking something up
wtf are you complaining about? Stop kvetching and buy the i9 already.

yeah but you're paying microsoft is the difference

hardware, your hardware is newer than the kernel so some functions as full screen on the gui to normal windows is not yet correctly implemented on the kernel; try a newer kernel. Even if my guess is right, and you use the lastest stable kernel and it doesn't stop failing like this, then probably windows has your solution since manufacturers pay to windows for patches at release time. Whereas on Linux you have to wait since close to none hardware manufacturer ships linux. In that case since you know you have very new hardware you pay red hat so that they patch linux for your hardware. Or make a request to someone else, that's literally what happens on windows, just that it's done by the one you buy the laptop or hardware from usually.

Nice joke

You didn't do yourself a service. KDE on Fedora is shit. OpenSUSE has the best implementation out of the box.

I don't know if it's fixed yet, but what drove me away from linux was catastrophic screen tearing fucking everywhere.
Had to install an ancient desktop environment to get rid of it, well mostly.
I'm not sure, but I think I've seen people complain about this even very recently.

>be me
>come from windows 7
>literally pic related
>install ubuntu because it's the easiest distro to use
>faster than windows and never had a problem

how does it feel to be a brainlet op?

Attached: metrovan.jpg (640x720, 102K)

>uses a trash distro
>probably fucked with it and messed it up
>isn't working

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE linux is bad

are you me?

using linux as your go-to os is still a joke
a bad, sad joke turned into a meme

Blog about Ubuntu and VFIO passthrough. Tldr Xubuntu and Lubuntu are my current recommendations for full featured distros, Gnome has attractive default installs but have always given me shit. Also LTS > beta for ubuntu.

yesterday I finally decided to do VFIO and go 100% linux as a host OS. I like playing pinball games that don't work well in linux.
>I strictly use Ubuntu so I can help friends who recently switched to Linux; documenting how to do things so that they can do things
>uninstalled kubuntu which decided to not work when I tried to install proprietary graphics for my quadro (my mistake was running the nvidia supplied package from their website, it turns out to be a much smarter idea to use the proprietary graphics repo). KDE is my go to because its easy to work with as a base install. It was having strange graphical draws and crashed every so often so I wanted sanity check.
>installed Mate 18.10 and really like it once I made a keyboard tiling shortcut, but had an issue where KVM wouldn't work when I did everything right so sadly scrapped
>reinstalled with Linux mint cinnamon 19 to test if it would be viable to give to a newbie and document, immediately cinnamon desktop stopped working and went into fallback mode. I've never had luck with Gnome rebadges excluding mate if you count that.
>reinstalled w/ Xubuntu 18.04LTS, did the same steps and everything worked like a charm. I've riced it to so it feels more like my old OS and it just works. Same goes with lubuntu in my experience.

I have a feeling it wasn't MATEs fault KVM wouldn't go, rather the beta 18.10 version.

I will continue to recommend Xubuntu for desktop and Lubuntu for laptop, but I'm very impressed with MATE and will start documenting next so I can guide new people to it. I want to put people, in good conscience, on elementary os or cinnamon but I know it will have issues beyond their fixing power, where as a theme over Xubuntu and a dock will similarly help them transition and still work.

maybe