/wdg/ Web Development General

We truly miss phpfag edition.

Previous:
>don't know

>Free beginner resources to get started
Get a good understanding of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn - a good introduction (independent of your browser choice)
freecodecamp.com
codecademy.com
hackr.io

>Further resources
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - excellent documentation for HTML, CSS & JS
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap - Frontend+Backend learner-path suggestions
[YouTube] Web Development in 2018 - A Practical Guide (embed)

jsfiddle.net - Use this and post a link, if you need help with your HTML/CSS/JS
3v4l.org/ - Use this and post a link, if you need help with PHP/HackLang

>PHP resources
pastebin.com/gfBPg24A (embed)

Attached: 1_OsMBUUchHRtTT3n-ZX2xbA.jpg (1400x860, 174K)

Other urls found in this thread:

vue-loader.vuejs.org/guide/hot-reload.html#disabling-hot-reload
gitlab.com/catorodi/flask-blog
jsfiddle.net/krdnvs7z/
jsfiddle.net/8hdb1c6t/
jsfiddle.net/k02rgaLh/
symfony.com/doc/current/security.html#b-configuring-how-users-are-loaded
learnbchs.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Imagine the smell haha

I'm getting a "Your connection to this site is not private." alert window in chrome, and in firefox, when I set the security.yaml file to the one suggested in the Symfony docs while trying to implement a login/registration form?

providers:
our_db_provider:
entity:
class: App\Entity\User
property: username
# if you're using multiple entity managers
# manager_name: customer

firewalls:
main:
pattern: ^/
http_basic: ~
provider: our_db_provider

do I need to fuck around with the firewall? I thought copying would be enough. I need to think about stuff? what the fuck

Milk is getting cold.

>programmer with a mac
my mind is full of fuck

all cats use a mac

min e is worse, the smell too
>don't know
catalog>archive>ctlf + wdg
yw

yeah, I think I locked the whole site behind a username and password that isn't set, looks like reading about issues helps

smelle cat ::DDD smelle kittypuss!!!

I've never met anyone who was competent with tech who didn't use a POSIX compliant OS.

>POSIX compliant OS
AIX[17]
HP-UX[18]
IRIX[19]
EulerOS[20]
macOS (since 10.5 Leopard)[21][22]
Solaris[23]
Tru64[18]
UnixWare[24]
QNX Neutrino[25]
Inspur K-UX[26]
Integrity[27]
Never heard of any of those OS except for Mac

Not even Solaris?

well, Solaris I heard yes

Just starting out in webdev, need some editor advice.

Is it a good idea to try to make Vim a good HTML/JS/CSS editor? I want good completion and linting to facilitate learning but I'm not sure if it's worth the effort of finding and configuring a bunch of plugins for that. Especially when I can install an editor everyone else probably uses and get all that by default.

user, can you recommend me some good plugins or a good editor?

Attached: 1408727826956.jpg (513x488, 44K)

vscode, and editing straight up in firefox:
Editing in firefox is so flexible you can edit the values of CSS straight up with the up and down arrows, Chrome has some shit too (for example it has an awesome colorpicker) , check it out, it's good for tweaking and see what works. You can also edit HTML inf firefox. But I don't know how you can save it, but I'm sure you can.

also sublimetext, I use notepad ++ kek, it doesn't have many advanced features like autocomplete, but it has good features like find and replace

there was another editor, but I don't remember if it was atom or I'm making shit up

Yep, I already found out that Firefox is very comfy for tweaking things.
I tried out vscode and it wasn't great but I guess I'll give it another chance. I'd complain about it being electron garbage, but after all I am in Rome.

Webstorm

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-09-06 at 11.10.24.png (450x530, 310K)

Thanks for reminding me to get a JetBrains student license. I'll try it out.

>tfw kitty makes better websites than you do
it's not fair anons, when will I be able to make good websites

Try brackets
It's free and does everything you need as a beginner

Just for shits and giggles, my homework for today, Data Bases:

Practical case: cinephile
A computer-aided cinephile wants to create a database that collects diverse information about the cinematic world, from the origins of the cinema to the present, with the content that is described below.
Logically, he wants to keep many movies classified, which will be identified by a code. He also wants each one of the name, the year that opens, the budget, the director, etc. And besides, each movie also wants to know what actors intervened, as well as the role they represented (main actor, secondary, etc.) and the possible prize they received for their interpretation.
The movies are of a particular subject. It is well known that there are actors specialized in a topic, although an actor is capable of interpreting several subjects with different "skill".
Because our cinephile is a little curious, it also wants to store personal data of the actors, which has been picked up by reading magazines of the artistic world. For example, what actors are in a certain way substitutes for others, with a degree of possible substitution that can range from 1 to 10. Also, actors are "incompatible", that is, they have never worked or worked together in the same movie or scene
The actors are hired, at a given time, by a company (eg MGM), but they can change if they have a better offer. They can even go back to a company they had already worked with. The companies produce films, but no movie is co-produced by two or more companies.
Because our friend has a lot of tourism, he wants to know, for each city, what companies have representation and in what direction. Evidently, companies often have representation in almost all major cities. At the same time, he also wants information on what movies are being filmed in each city and at what time, considering that a movie can be filmed in several cities and also in a mime city at different stages of filming.

Attached: 1538992930432.jpg (384x494, 41K)

I like Vscode for html / CSS / JS

The fast paced nature of frontend means you'll always need to set up your editor for some new framework and it's pretty painless with vscode

Then I use Emacs for any compiled language like Elixir

Should I buy(pirate) SublimeText or just use something else?

vs code will do the job just fine

Man I'm trying to get rid of hot reloading in Vue but it isn't working. I've inserted the code from vue-loader.vuejs.org/guide/hot-reload.html#disabling-hot-reload into webpack.config.js and it wasn't recognised, I inserted it into vue.config.js and an error message came up in the console saying "invalid options in vue.config.js: "module" is not allowed". How the fuck do I get rid of hot reloading in Vue? I want to refresh the page by myself dammit. Plus I also want to like Vue.

Attached: 1 OrjCKmou1jT4It5so5gvOA.jpg (900x550, 22K)

The only acceptable answer. PHPStorm will also do if you plan to move forward with server development

here, to avoid me having to write my own JS framework, is there another framework around which does not use hot reloading or provides it as an option that can be easily enabled/disabled /wdg/?

If anyone here can build a web platform that has users which will do just one thing, and you can do frontend, backend, design and deployment (with proper containerization), and make the platform as scalable as possible, and you want to earn a billion dollars, drop your email here, and lets go change the world

What's the best CSS memework these days? Bootstrap, Material, Bulma, etc?

I like Tailwind, but if you want components I don't really know.

I don't understand sockets. Are they supposed to be used in n place of post/get requests to pass information?

Attached: 20180929_105553.jpg (4032x3024, 3.49M)

Basically, yeah. But sockets have less overhead per message, which is good if you're sending a lot of small messages back and forth. Plus the server can send a message to the client without first receiving a request, which is good for stuff like getting messages or notifications live.

can't you just include vue as a script tag?

has anyone here migrated a large mysql db to postgresql? how did it go? and why did you do it?

i wanna hug a kitty.

why would I use any of these javascript memeworks?
Is there actually anything they can do that couldn't be done with vanilla html+js?

Rate my new flask project brahs. Not a finished product yet, this is the first working prototype. Just a flask blog engine with mongodb backend.

gitlab.com/catorodi/flask-blog

I would guess performance.

>load a bunch of extra shit that you aren't going to use 100% of
>somehow improves performance
???
the only thing I can see it being good for is that it holds your hand

they're good for rapid prototyping once you learn the patterns but other then that I find they tend to weigh you down and get in your way on more serious projects.

if you care about performance you'd write in plain js with the document fragment api. in terms of performance, frameworks will never compare to well written vanilla js.

so it's basically for either learning or for brainlets?

It sounds like you're having a Vue problem. You can easily resolve this problem by removing Vue.
Glad I could help!

In my case, I'm so used to writing vanilla JS that I see frameworks as being there to overcomplicate and limit my ability to get shit done. However, I understand that if you've got like 20 developers, a framework might keep the code consistent. Otherwise, frameworks is overkill for the sake of overkill.

Is this still worth getting into with all the Wix like engines available today?

Absolutely. Those engines are never going to provide original, individually tailored sites that customers want. They're probably best suited for small companies who need a simple website just to get their brand out there without the hassle or cost of hiring a dev.

beginner here I'm in a terrible web dev class taught by a 75 year old boomer. How do i get these check boxes to align ? (yes those are tables he wants us to use them). This is what it looks like
Here is my CSS
jsfiddle.net/krdnvs7z/

Thank you

Attached: sefesfsef.jpg (941x181, 29K)

text-align: left?

>jsfiddle.net/krdnvs7z/
post a complete jsfiddle

>yes those are tables he wants us to use them
>75 yo boomer
checks out, lrn 2 flex, grid, float, display, position relative/absolute/fixed on the side

whoops I'm an idiot. First time using jsfiddle
jsfiddle.net/8hdb1c6t/

>jsfiddle.net/krdnvs7z/
Why not post all the HTML and CSS?

Anyway, give the form text-align: left (or just leave it unset because left is the default). Then wrap the form in a div with "display: inline-block" and "margin: 0 auto". (Or give that margin to your table maybe, idk what your layout looks like).

The inline-block basically means the div will wrap around your content. And the margin: 0 auto means the top and bottom margin are 0 while the left and right margins are automatically set so that the div is centered. (There are other ways of centering a block but this is probably the simplest.)

imo you'll have to add another column that is right in the center and add a class to that column that has text aling left. so let's say you have three columns in each place and you use the center one and tell it to text-aling:left; play with the width or position of the columns

yep do this it's the most optimal solution, but the teacher will hate you for using a div, probably

Dude don't even stay in that class, your boomer teacher is teaching you shit that ain't relevant today. You'll get much further studying on your own.

Attached: gladicouldhelp.png (1528x868, 78K)

jsfiddle.net/k02rgaLh/

>!important
>position:relative;
not needed
>width
needed

VSCode is the gold standard

Inferior alternatives are Atom, Oni, Brackets, and Webstorm

whoops, nope, width not needed

Look at Discord. Its front-end is written in React.
It's interactive and snappy. No need to load an entire page every time, just switch screens and click buttons then things work-out seamlessly like with a desktop application.

You won't get that easily with vanilla HTML and JS.

>MongoDB
Into the trash. Why would you do this to yourself. Just use a proper RDBMS

Thanks that worked. I know he is terrible. I thought about switching to a different school because this one doesn't offer computer science. I kinda wanna get deeper into the programming side of things. I'm Computer Information Systems right now. I'm 23 I feel too old to be undergrad. I haven't even done any of the advanced math either. Thanks though

Attached: esfsefsef.png (1127x685, 37K)

I'm guessing React is basically a library that uses ajax to update a statically placed element on the page, to simulate loading without actually having to switch to another page. Am I on the money?

Not even an issue. It all comes down to tallent and I doubt you're gonna find any of that where you're studying. I had that exact same problem when I was in uni.
Most (like %95+) of my programming and webdev knowledge is self-taught. My only problem is: I've got nothing to show for it. I got the knowhow, but I lack the creativity because education has killed it.
If you want to stick it out for the sticker at the end, then I can understand because that's exactly what I did too. However, if you want to learn, then being self-taught is the way to go and is a huge benefit as it means you're staying on top of trends.

If I only need one admin user, is it ok to go with:

symfony.com/doc/current/security.html#b-configuring-how-users-are-loaded

I'm kinda itching to fuck around with login and registration in Symfony, but the site isn't going to be broad in that aspect, I think this is exactly what I need, can I fuck around with the ROLE_ADMIN for certain section of a public page?

I know it might be obvious that I can, but want to check on it before I start.

I wish I had a cat.

My family has 4 cats. It's nice that they each have a different personality, but they're all pretty boring and only want attention.

Well i already know how to work with regular DBs, and i had seen Mongo popping in job listing.

It's time for all this unix crap legacy to die, 2bh.
I feel the computing world has been for too long hamstrung by old ideas from the 70-80s.
We can think of better principles than "everything is a file". So this posix compliance thing is irrelevant these days.

You don't need advanced math for undergraduate computer science.

I've never ever seen anyone even mention my favorite band before
Life Is Not A Waiting Room is their best

It's advanced for me i guess. never taken calculus before

yeah no one ever talks about them but i like them

Do you obfuscate your code before uploading it to production?
Does it get in the way when trying to find a bug that wasn't detected during development?

That was a great explanation thank you

Why not use vue-cli? It will generate boilerplate for you.

do you mean minify? yes, you should minify your code for production

ok wtf is going on?
when i do console.log(myarray)
it prints out the contents of 5 items

then when i do log(myarray[0]) it says undefined.
and array.length is 0.

IRIX was comfy as fuck.

Never did care for HP-UX, mostly because of the HP baggage that came with the platform.

show us the code

i'm passing a mobx array from one react component to another through props.
think i'll read up on mobx docs

Hows the job market in webdev (specifically in the EU)? I took some classes in my uni and I'm interested in going further but I dont want it to be a wasted effort.

>how's job market in the biggest development industry right now?
pretty good, i'd say

Job market is good if you're not below average, I could probably find a new job within a day if I wanted. They're always complaining about not being able to find people to hire.

>want to write a thing
>I have to pick a language and (if not PHP) a framework
Now I'm mentally exhausted -- and still not any better off than I was before spending hours on web frameworks and microframeworks and the question whether I should learn a framework and a language or stick to a language I know.

Just pick one.

I'm this close to picking BCHS but something tells me it's not the best idea I'll ever have had.

Might as well go for it. I have 4 years to git gud.

I'm currently doing something with PHP and a framework. I'm constantly asking myself "Do I really don't need to set this up?" Why are sessions simply working? Log me out, I want to configure it God damn!

Are you talking about this learnbchs.org/ ?
Seems kinda unproductive if you ask me, but would surely be an interesting experience. From what I can tell there's not much to help you out so you'd have to implement a lot of boilerplate yourself which isn't by itself bad, just time consuming if the goal is to get something done.

Is Chrome device toolbar shit? I swear Firefox is more consistent in that regard.

0 replies, lmfao

/wdg/ c'mon, I'd apply if I had the knowledge.

Attached: 1516107959923.png (233x285, 156K)

the billion dollars isnt professional.
would probably be free work until he gets funding.
its worth finding out if hes capable of that, just like its worth finding out if you have skills.
what i'm saying is you're right, it's a possibility.

Most professional programmers know that the job description of "i have this idea that WILL be HUGE and i want you to implement it with me" is the worst possible thing you could ever agree to (especially when it's not bait).

I had a plan floating around in my head to create a project and allow everyone to participate in it. Literally if you can design a half-good looking nav bar or button, you would be in. I'd put the project online so people can show employees that they have worked on it. I would give the ownership of the site to my cat and donate every surplus earned if the site ever takes off.

Well, it's still just an idea.

what makes you think people can't do that right now already with already established platforms?

are you interested in getting the site popular by grinding out building out social networks yourself and working with people to grow accounts and implement new stuff?

coding alone gets lonely

>shitty non-technical uni, cs course
>nobody cares or knows anything about programming
>tfw no programming friends
i wanna die.

But the actual sad part is that when I was in a good technical university on a CS course there still weren't that many people who cared about programming. That's just depressing.

I guess most of the courses have like 1 guy who is exceptionally well at it, a few guys who have potential and try their best not to ruin it and the rest is there by chance.

In my University it's like that. Have talked to people from other faculties, doesn't matter if it's literature, biology, mathematics, engineering, same setup.