Is being a system admin the ideal job...

Is being a system admin the ideal job? I would rather be a system admin and get paid a little less than be a high paid programmer code slave working 10 hours a day actively.

How much experience is needed? Where do I start? Is linux system admin a harder job to get than regular system admin?

Attached: sysadmin.png (473x193, 8K)

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/linuxadmin/comments/65vb8s/advice_if_you_are_wanting_to_go_into_devops/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

this is the career I am currently studying for
I'm taking all of the networking and end user support classes that I can
some programming classes too
only on my first year though

Depends on what you consider "ideal". Sysadmin is comfy but since it's barely any work you'll have to find ways to entertain yourself. It's of course not as stimulating as being a programmer because you do the same things day in and day out. The work I do on a daily basis is test new software and updates before pushing them to all clients, reset passwords and other simple tasks. Oh yeah of course fix that fucking shit printer because it breaks at least once a week (punching it and restarting it usually solves the problem). I get paid maybe 75% of what I'd get as a programmer but most of it would disappear as taxes so it's no big deal. But again it depends on whether you want to evolve or be stuck doing the same thing for 40-50 years.

I do combined helpdesk and low-level administration and it's a fucking chore.
I'd much rather be able to just code all day long. The times when I write my scripts, give them rudimentary UIs and make them pretty is when I enjoy my job the most.
The worst is people with printer issues and software issues that I cannot fix due to closed source.

>you'll have to find ways to entertain yourself
for the love of god this

how much free time in hours and minutes do you have out of say a 10 hour work day?

Would the ideal be getting a sys admin job and using your free time to self study for a better programming job down the line?

There are people in the world starving to death every minute of the day. There are people working back breaking, joint crushing manual labor jobs 10 hours a day most of it nonstop. There are people working in fast food restaurants and factory lines for low wages. Finding a way to entertain yourself on a high paying job is a small thing.

It can be stressful, but it's pretty easy most of the times. Just set up some services and get to know the technologies. It's all about experience. "Devops" shit is pretty hot right now, maybe look into this. I'm managing multiple aws environments and most of it is automated. I only have to work if something is offline or to build a new project. Don't think you will sit alone in your basement all day, it can be a customer facing job (especially early in your carrier).

Anyone who posts a picture like OP is not a 'sysadmin', they are a fucking tier1 (MAYBE 2) ticket jockey and they probably work for some retarded small ass company.

I'm a dev and I fuck around most of the day. Sys admins are losers and cucks. That job is becoming obsolete as well.

explain.

how do you go about becoming a sysadmin? what to learn and what-not. how do you find and get the job if you have no social skills?

It's not a no social skill job. All of IT (the support IT, not the idiot normie IT which is anything related to computers) is support and helping people.

They are being replaced by cloud hosting and devops

who manages the servers for the cloud?

how do I get a job similar to this or where can I start early in my career? I have a cs degree but ver y little work experience and I would rather do "devops" stuff rather than strictly code all day

Devops

not him, but whats a no social skill tech related job you'd recommend?

*DevSecOps
Give us security guys some love too

reddit.com/r/linuxadmin/comments/65vb8s/advice_if_you_are_wanting_to_go_into_devops/
I know it's reddit, but you should read it. You propably won't start in devops, because you need the experience first.
I started in helpdesk (windows), learned linux on my own time and moved into a linux sysadmin position. After that I told my manager I want to do aws and got an aws project. Now I help developers build their shitty applications for the cloud and host them. Sounds easy, but I have like 10 years experience. You should look into linux and cloud computing. A cert in these areas will propably help, but I'm not really a fan.

>Now I help developers build their shitty applications for the cloud and host them
damn I am jelly, sounds comfy user
I'm in community college right now, do you think it's a feasible goal for me or will I have to go to 4 year university

I don't have a degree. Just a neckbeard without a live and I like technology a lot.

wow that sounds awesome
so should I try to get a helpdesk job after my associates and work my way up?
I already know quite a bit of linux just from being a basement dweller, have installed gentoo, host my own nginx, etc.

>I don't have a degree.
how did you begin?

It's the easiest way to get experience. Your homelab is good start, you need a way to stick out. There a lot of people wanting a entry level job with only a degree and no current technological knowledge (at least here in germany).
I did an apprenticeship at a datacenter after school.

Holy shit you are retarded.

>Everybody thinks I am like architect from the Matrix
Kek, we really don't.

First level help desk will take ma y different people

Thanks for this, its actually really helpful. Just wondering what do employerrs expect out of a entry/junior level linux admin? I have minor imposter syndrome so often im afraid to apply for positions because I fear getting asked to do something I have no clue how to do.

You don't really need to know a lot. They will (hopefully) train you. Just know your way around a linux system. Don't lie about shit you don't know. Knowing how to install nginx doesn't mean you know how to manage a production cluster.

>do nothing 99% of the time
>get no bureaucratic traction to fix anything
>stuff breaks
>"fix" it
>goto 1
There's a reason why people are shoving everything in the cloud and the job is dying, for whatever reason people aren't willing to pay more for good in house service but they'll pay more for cloud shit.
Oh well.

I forgot: Know your way around a search engine. You can't know everything. Just say you don't know, but are willing to look it up. I get asked about a lot of shit I don't know, but it is expected that I get that knowledge fast.

The ideal job is the one which meets end needs and makes you happy.
If having to delete the firefox toolbars for the retarded HRs half of the time makes you happy, then the answer is yes.

Database development is pretty based also.

>degree
>job
you won't make it, kiddo...