/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, both Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Quad Core Compatible, Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440s - best price/performance ultra portable
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250u quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250u
>T70 - T60, i7 7700 hq
IPS displays, USB 3.0, m.2 x4, mini dp, no
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: macro.jpg (5344x3008, 1M)

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-Thinkpad-T520-Core-i5-2540M-2-60GHz-8GB-Ram-320GB-HDD-Laptop-Webcam/372381958569?hash=item56b3b1c1a9:g:4WsAAOSwYuNbRIWK:rk:1:pf:0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The fn key on my x240 dosen't seem to be working, even though it lights up during start. I have installed the drivers and updated the BIOS, tried LIVE booting into Ubuntu, still won't work. Is it just broken?

I have a t61 Is it worthwhile upgrading the bios to Middleton and adding a x9000 cpu?

Attached: BF8BA37D-0969-4898-9C53-6E2D60B91BDB.jpg (817x1024, 207K)

might as well, it unlocks sata II speeds too

X230 & T430 users kindly fuck off

T440s shill BEGONE!

Attached: 104bd6dbaefd093422417e6f4d0505ab.jpg (1000x1419, 907K)

xx40 niggers beware! You're in for a scare!

Attached: 1536521615006.png (2560x1600, 7K)

underwhelming

you didnt swap it with ctrl by any chance?

for me it's the x201

Attached: IMG_0384.rotated.jpg (3024x4032, 2.68M)

I have seen a T470 for less than 500 europurrs, and I thought I would wait for a cheap T480 with that sweet Quad. What are your thoughts on ths current model and then will the price drop?
Also should I hunt for a spare T61 MB or just give up?

just buy a new battery cause my old one was 7 years old pic related.
the thing is that my thinkpad is plugged on his dock almost all week
can this do boo boo to my new shiny battery

Attached: black dildo.jpg (310x263, 10K)

Finally got my x210 (used). 1920x1200 screen is great and bright. Performance is excellent, and it's still an x201 in every other way. Only problem is a few pixels on the right side are cut off by the bezel, and it's noticeable during use. I also got the fucking ALPS keyboard, so I'm going to need to replace that.

I know iBookGuy did a battery replacement and there was an blog through HaDay but is there a Thinkpad specific guide for battery refurbishment. It's just a bunch of 18650 but one needs to reset the chip or something.

my thinkpad on linux and windows says my battery is at 100 percent, however it will not run on battery, and will only run on ac power. Is my bother board fucked?

if its a cheap china one, yes it'll kill it in about a year, managed to do this 3 years in a row. what I do these days is keep one battery just laying around and only use that for when I actually go out, and leave the near dead batteries in it when I have it plugged in 24/7. so far this has made my china battery last 2 years.

>have clean Windows 10, none of that Lenovo Thinkshit bloat
>get curious about how hardware is working, go to download ThinkVantage
>apparently replaced by Lenovo Vantage, available only through Win 10 app store
>weird but seems legit, that it is indeed form Lenovo itself
>install the app, run it
>all it has is a button to 'Install Update'
>starts downloading an exe through my browser
>it is indeed form lenovo.com
>still feels weird though

Am I being bamboozled here lads?
I'm not very good tech-wise but I am paranoid as fuck.
I think I'm gonna err on the side of caution and delete this shit.
Why can't the app just work 'as is'?

Attached: vantage.png (1301x766, 115K)

pic of the download

Attached: download.png (1017x225, 11K)

you gotta imagine all the new software will be running on some idiots ultrathin garbage ultrabook with a 'lenovo thinkpad' logo slapped on, avoid anything but drivers you actually need desu. also considering enjoying some gnu/meme os which has nearly everything you need in official repos or the kernel itself

I'm interested on how my fan is working. It seems quite faint. I want to see if it's ok or not. Dust is definitely cleared out.

I wish I could switch to Linux, but for now I can't For special reasons I need
>Google Drive (gotta have Winblows for that)
>to use a WD password protected My Passport external drive (will only run on Winblows)
>and to block internet access for specific programs (Windows offers me that per-program control, couldn't find anything like that in Linux when I experimented with it)

Maybe in the future I won't have these requirements any more, but for now I sadly do.
I want to move to the countryside and get away from Wi-Fi desu. A tiny little cottage far away from other homes. No Wi-Fi, only wired internet connected to a desktop computer, with Ubuntu that I use sparingly anyway, maybe 1 hour a day max, only for internets in the browser and basic office. No cloud shit. No smartphone.

I can dream. One day...
This tech shit is getting too much, I'm sick of it.

Attached: iu[1].jpg (500x492, 42K)

What about X1 Carbon series? Are they worth of paying a bit more?

Post the comparison of the keyboard if you have it, please. It's good information for the general public.

What are the differences among machine types of a model?

For example, W520 has these possible machine types: 4249, 4260, 4270, 4276, 4281, 4282, and 4284.

>frogposter
>tech illiterate
>winblows 10
Checks out.

Attached: 1268891287892.jpg (337x404, 30K)

Do you people leave the house with your thinkpads? If not, what's the point of a laptop if you don't move around?

It's the heaviest thing in my house that I can beat my dick with.

yes yes yes yes. also get 2x4gb pc-5300. ive tried pc-6400 but it would keep hanging and it gets throttled to pc-5300 anyways. idk if the ram was bad, but it passed memtest.

I have an X220, but Lenovo Australia no longer sells the 44++ 9-cell battery in their store. Is there such a thing as a quality 3rd party battery, or am I stuck with shitty Chinese knockoffs?

Install that .exe and then reset your computer. That's it.

w520 just came in the mail. been using a x220 for several years now.

i'm in love with it. it's a beautiful laptop and also doubles as a blunt force trauma inflicting weapon which is nice.

Thanks I might do it for fun. I don’t necessarily need it. And I definitely don’t need additional projects. Would you hoped to know how much of a performance increase it is?

I never leave my room but I use my thinkpad for comfy shitposting in bed.

>want to buy x220
>go to ebay
>get decision fatigue from all the different choices and price points
please someone help!!!! what is the best one to get!

its not really a performance increase, its just more ram. 4gb is enough for most things, but if you wanna daily drive, you might need it

The Apple Macbook Pro with Retina Display.

any t420 users out there willing to help me out and give me the width and d height of the lid of their laptop

shit i would but i literally just fucking shipped mine to someone.

Get one with an IPS display. The disk drive, RAM, and Bluetooth don't matter because they're easy to upgrade yourself. You can install an IPS display yourself too, but it's not as easy.

Guys I'm literally shaking right now, my fucking freedumb boner is through the fucking roof.
My thinkpad supplier just got new stock and it's everything I ever wanted.
P8600 8GiB ram T500 - 530 romanian shekels - 132 US dolans
P8400 2GiB ram T400 - 400 romanian shekels - 100 US dolans
SL9400 2GiB ram x200 - 315 romanian shekels - 78 US dolans
+ Docking station - 31 romanian shekels -

Attached: screenshot.png (901x1043, 211K)

T480/s are great but prices are unlikely to go down until the next generation is released, if you want to buy the time is now or in like 2 years.

why not steal one like a gypsy you are?

Whatever you say amerimutt, I'll just be here with my $10 Gigabit internet. :^)

Attached: screenshot.png (232x474, 29K)

why?

yeah go for the T500
get a X9100 as well for a CPU upgrade

Can I upgrade a Lenovo T520 to a W520 by replacing just the motherboard?

>he fell for the chinkpad meme

Does anyone use a yoga for the comfiness?

I'm dying trying to decide between P1, X1 extreme, and Yoga.

I use a 5th gen x1 now.

Attached: lappytops.jpg (2368x1332, 298K)

I've had a 1st and now 5th gen carbon. I love them. I do webdev and don't feel limited by the mobile processors. It's like a cross between a macbook pro and a macbook air that doesn't break, and the port selection is great.

yes padthink very good sir
much better than new computer
please remember to leave positive feedback on eBay
thank you come again

Now that the X series uses soldered RAM, is there any reason to own one over a T series ThinkPad?

How much should I pay for a t450?

T440s is fine.
>Runs Linux
>Super cheap
>Very light (more so than any T-series thinkpad before it)
>Hot-swappable dual batteries
>Can swap out track pad for T450s version
>Supports 1080p IPS display

It's only soldered on the X1 carbons. Pretty sure Extreme and P1 have socketed RAM.

I'm not sure what the use case for needing more than 16gb in a 14" ultrabook would be.

Also:
Kiddie fucker shill BEGONE!

Is that like a diary or someting

>I'm not sure what the use case for needing more than 16gb in a 14" ultrabook would be.
I'm running 16gb in T480s only to run dual channel, never came in close to using up all of the resources.

yeah, I'm "using" 15.1/15.4 in an x1 right now. I've never seen significant swap usage.

I am really inlove with my x131e, but I still want to change its keyboard to the older style. What is the best replacement I can jam into this little guy? I don't think anything would be compatible, but I am prepare to make a mess of things.

Attached: stinkpad.jpg (1500x1500, 154K)

my T430 has no capslock light/indicator
not happy

I'm using an 8gb x230t right now and I run out of ram every once in a while mostly due to Firefox + Gnome + Krita. Leave them all running for a few days and they eat up RAM.

I'm in the same situation. I ended up disabling capslock for unrelated reasons so I guess it doesn't affect me anymore but the fact they couldn't put in a tiny LED still bothers me.

So I can't justify the extra money for xeon or better graphics than I'll ever need, so I'm thinking X1 extreme.

Unless the yoga is too comfy, pls.

>Google Drive (gotta have Winblows for that)
who told you this lie

>to use a WD password protected My Passport external drive (will only run on Winblows)
i doubt that

>and to block internet access for specific programs (Windows offers me that per-program control, couldn't find anything like that in Linux when I experimented with it)
qubes

Which systemd distro uses the least battery/is the most energy efficient? Does using KDE mean higher usage than xfce?

Just bought a T430 for $150. Just how old are this things anyway?

You can't mod the X131e's keyboard. Just fucking get an X220 (or X230 with the keyboard mod).

Fedora has been making strides, apparently. Of course KDE means higher usage than xfce.

I'd be curious as to the actual gains.

Too big. 12 inches is too big. Fuck gargantuant laptops.

Attached: cringe.jpg (399x322, 25K)

Are you a little girl so everything seems big to you?

for me it's the x201s

Attached: IMG_0552.jpg (3024x4032, 2.98M)

No, I'm just moving alot. I like tiny shit I can put in a bag and can wrap my entire hand around it. Also, I have impaired eyesight and its a pain to have a large laptop on me in bed, mostly because I can't see the screen and I don't use glasses/contacts when I'm at the house.

Just got my T430. Can I trust the chinks to get a 9 cell battery for it?

My T530 keeps reaching 101C despites how many times I repaste thermal compound. It only stay 93-95 for a month at best after repasting.
Is there any problem with my heatsink? Or the thermal compound I was using? I've tried Arctic MX4 and CM MasterGel

CPU/GPU? OS? Any actual throttling?

Time frame is bizarre. Are you in a particular environment (cold/hot/humid)? Is it subject to significant shock? Is anything loose? I'm assuming you've reseated the cpu?

Also have you tried different fan settings?

Looking for a 15,6" laptop with VGA and mini-DP.

Eyeing an used t550. Any better recommendations though? Not looking into upgrading, a TN FHD is enough for me.

Attached: 1477301783267.gif (972x1000, 1.09M)

Hey Jow Forums, I'm fairly new to Thinkpads and I'm considering getting one for school. The one I've decided on is the T520, since it's a modern model but it has the old keyboard. Does anyone in England know if this is a good seller?

ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-Thinkpad-T520-Core-i5-2540M-2-60GHz-8GB-Ram-320GB-HDD-Laptop-Webcam/372381958569?hash=item56b3b1c1a9:g:4WsAAOSwYuNbRIWK:rk:1:pf:0

Guy, I think i fell in love with the X1 Extreme.
Anyone here who has one? How is it?

>second, empty M.2 slot
>upgradable RAM
>6 core JewPU
>one of the few ChinkPads with a good display
>decent cooling for the formfactor
>nice quality and sturdiness

Other than price, where the hell is the catch?

Attached: x1e.jpg (1920x1080, 286K)

>price
Pretty much the only thing that's bad about the latest gen of thinkpads, they're solid just expensive.

I don't think I can help myself, I will probably go for one.

I actually find the battery life to be pretty disappointing too in the X1E.
It has a much shorter runtime than the XPS 15 and MBP 15 while only having a slightly smaller battery (80 vs. 95 Wh I think).

The regular current-gen x, P and T series are even more of a disappointment in my opinion.
I had the chance to try many of them (P52, x280, T480, T480s and T580) and all feel like cheap trash.
All of them have way too much body flex, trash screens, creaking body and the plastic feels a lot cheaper than older ThinkPad models (direct comparison to T60/61, x220 and x230t).
The only one that felt as if it was worth its price was the X1, and hopefully also the X1E and P1.

It's been up and down since IBM.

I've been very happy with my x1's, except for the might-catch-on-fire problem with the 5th gen

I can't think of any laptop that offers similar value though. It's very expensive for thinkpads, sure, but compared to other laptops it seems fine.

>too much body flex
I've heard this argument so many times, If you put bodyweight on a laptop that's what it's supposed to do.
>trash screens
T480s has like 98% srgb whqd screen, what's non trash by your criteria? The standard FHD for most current models is mediocre but definitely not trash.
>creaking body and the plastic feels a lot cheaper
Sounds really subjective I've no issues with creaking on my end, I owned x220, T460s and T480s and they all feel equally solid.

Meanwhile real problem which you could have mentioned are shit thermals on the thinner models, basically making undervolting mandatory along with single heatpipe coolers, limited maintenance or less models with power bridge system if you value battery life a lot.

An argument could be made for the XPS, but I'd rather have the X1E. Fuck MBP. God forbid you sneeze on it and the complete lack of moisture protection kills it dead.

Anyone had hands on new Ryzen ThinkPads?
Opinions in general?

ZBook Studio G5, XPS 15 and maybe also the current EliteBook and Latitudes.

>I've heard this argument so many times, If you put bodyweight on a laptop that's what it's supposed to do.
Yeah, it's definitely high-level whining, but at this price point I expect the laptop to feel sturdy, no matter what.

>T480s has like 98% srgb whqd screen, what's non trash by your criteria?
They are quite dim (though, being matte helps them), unevenly lit and their black value and contrast just isn't on par with others at the same price.

>Sounds really subjective I've no issues with creaking on my end
I also didn't have any kind of creaking problems with my older models. The ones I tried did creak around the palmrest, even when just typing normally while not putting much additional pressure on it. They also creaked when you picked them up around the edges.
Might have something to do with them being exhibition models, though.

hi guys, my younger brother needs a laptop for class, the use would be the typical MS Office, browsing the interwebs and watching some videos, the standard deal.

what would you recommended for around 150 - 200 €? he already has a good PC at home so ideally his laptop would be robust, good battery life and nice performance for simple tasks.

thank you!

x220 if he doesn't care about the eye cancer display.

Could I use one of these m.2 to mSATA converters to install a m.2 2280 SSD in a thinkpad x220 (enough clearance, no interference with WLAN card, etc.)?
Or could I maybe use one of these extender converters? (Where would I put it in that case?)

Attached: 2280ina220.png (563x909, 536K)

>if my thinkpad is moved two hard it shuts off even with the power cord plugged in
>changed battery also
>still does it
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEe

what do you mean?

>not getting the x210 upgrade motherboard

1440x900?
>$500 for a motherboard

>1366x768

I got a caddy for my T430 but it has a weird issue. It only works if I boot with the optical drive and then hot swap with the caddy.

Does anyone have the same issue? Not sure why it's happening. My guess is that my caddy is having some kind of issue powering up.

it's probably your caddy. buy another one

>1366x768 on a 12 inch screen is eye cancer
fucking npc shut the FUCK up
don't EVER spout your ignorance in this thread again

CPU. There was one time it throttled really hard, the whole machine freeze until CPU temp fall down to 65C. Otherwise there will be slight throttle when it reach 96C.

I'm not in any special environment. Been through A summer and winter in Vietnam and now fall in Canada, it's still the same.
I use thinkfan, with temp scale to max fan from 77C.