What does Jow Forums think about using more than one monitor?

What does Jow Forums think about using more than one monitor?

Waste of space or an actual necessity?

Attached: 7a6aee39a981c57425d25d7d1e485f0db78f20fb.jpg (1836x1106, 496K)

Yes

I have to agree with user above, unequivocally yes

>Waste of space or an actual necessity?
Yes to both

i'd say so.

considering one monitor is dedicated to nothing but a spotify playlist i'm gonna go with waste of space

just bought this so I'll be wasting a lot less space
hopefully it doesn't break and fuck up my monitors

Attached: 61xSDKNNaEL._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1500, 87K)

I couldn't call it a necessity but it sure comes in handy with some programs.

Attached: gaga-lightroom.jpg (3360x1050, 1.41M)

Is that 60 CS at min 17 with Warwick? That's pretty bad.

I prefer a big single monitor instead of two medium ones.

I think the perfect amount of monitors is two.

yes to both.

Attached: 448dfecd216c3acc51095fd5c05117d6.jpg (1024x768, 198K)

Rengar jungle bud

maybe

After having 3 for gaymen I literally cannot use a desktop with less than 2 monitors without feeling awkward now. I've been spoiled.

Sort of feel the same about my 27' 144hrz monitor that I'm currently using. I've thought about getting another monitor of some sort but I'm sure I'll feel disappointed if it's not the same spec as the one I'm using at the moment.

Not exactly a necessity, but more than one is certainly nice. I personally use three.
1st for programming
2nd for code output/git management
3rd for music/references
also having three monitors makes me look L337 as fuck

Absolutely necessary if you actually want to be productive.

At work I just have the one large, ultrawide monitor, using my laptop as a secondary for just slack. At home I just have one because I don't need another. I get no extra utility out of it.

A part of me yearns for a setup like we saw on those hovercraft from THE MATRIX.
I go to the Goodwill looking for old monitors and occasionally get a good one that works for 10 bucks.
But in application, I have not build up such a rig. In the real world that kind of setup will cause you to have the attention span of a gnat - kind of like using Tweetdeck too long.
Better to go with one big monitor.
But one setup I'm seeing more of is to set up a second monitor but put it up longways vertical as a "document reader" monitor.
Admittedly once you use a CAD-type program on one "huge freaking screen" you won't settle for less.

Did you use a snapchat filter?

I think 2 is ideal for work flow, but I prefer my single 4k monitor for its incredible sharpness. I don't think my computer would run 2 4k monitors well, and I hate dealing with more than one resolution, that never ends well.

I have two 24" 16:10 monitors at work, couldn't imagine working with anything less.

Absolute necessity for anything that requires you to have a full screen and thus has you push all other information to the other screen.
Some things can instead be done by using a larger screen, though.

Anything above 3 decent 1080p monitors I wonder what the fuck you're doing besides stock market shit.

2 monitors + oled TV is maximum comfy imo - which is useful for video production.

2 monitors alone is good for programming, audio production, graphics design, etc. Any real professional work.

3 monitors is ace for streamers.

im always reminded of googled most important engineer, who would only use 1 monitor. without him we wouldnt have the internet as it is today. imagine if hed used two monitors for a second, the world would be a lot worst

What I wish I had is something like a small auxiliary e-paper screen with an easy to use API.
I just want to push regular status information or notes on it and have it displayed even when the PC is off.

Two screens is good for a roadtrip.

Serious work needs at least 3. More is obviously better.

Attached: screens.png (367x421, 188K)

cctv also may need more monitors

I personally think dual monitors isn't enough I want 3 or 4. I hate having too many programs open on one monitor. One to watch videos on, one to browse internet, and another to have IDE open. Maybe a 4th to have the misc on.

Literally gives you eye cancer
Personally, my eyes experienced 3x the pain/strain of normal usage when adding just one monitor
Its akin to torture if you use your pc for more then 5-7hrs a day.
People who are usually ok with multi screen setups are manchildren (who already lost their site and relly on x3 thick fucking glasses) or young adults who act like kids and will soon be in the same position as the aforementioned "adults"

Attached: 1539407073713.jpg (1022x688, 176K)

Only fat, pedo, neckbeard weeaboo zoomer faggots use multiple monitors.

Attached: 1429235589270.webm (800x450, 1.4M)

I hate doing it but it's a necessity. Multiple monitors are ugly and take up space. But juggling multiple windows on Windows is a headache and requires the extra space.

I bought an ultrawide monitor to get round this but I ended up using the old one as a secondary screen anyway. It's inelegant and ugly but it works.

I use multiple monitors and I think it's a necessity since the secondary monitor is used to remote into another PC.

makes you look autistic as fuck

Wow I get neck pains by just watching that

True, or poor people who want a good result with only a single 144hz monitor like me

I think having two monitors is really nice to have for programming at least, it allows you to have your IDE/text editor or whatever on one screen and a secondary editor/command line/browser/music playlist on the second screen. I cannot imagine using 3 monitors, thats huge overkill imo

it's silly

its rengar, and hes also 2/3 when his team ins 23/6. thats real bad.

>one side for online documentation
>mid for ide
>other side for where it runs

>Shitty playlist one monitor
>Shitty Koreagam on other

Why not just have no monitors?

how do you plug that many in when you only have one blug?

>also having three monitors makes me look L337 as fuck
It makes you look like someone with ADHD and a subpar window manager.
>Absolutely necessary if you actually want to be productive.
Linus Torvalds wrote the world's most widely used kernel using 1 monitor.

Multiple monitors are a symptom of ADHD and terrible window management skills.

He wrote that on one monitor back when fucking monitors were the size of the desk it was on. Modern flat screens are thin as shit and easily fit two in the same space.

>He wrote that on one monitor back when fucking monitors were the size of the desk it was on. Modern flat screens are thin as shit and easily fit two in the same space.
Why would you need 2 monitors for systems programming if you know what you're doing?

Attached: 33b9b9055c03aa4faed486fe2d91b70e.png (1200x750, 636K)

I have the single monitor variant, and it's held up just fine. As long as your monitors dont way more than the recommended weight limit then you should be fine.

>wastes his time with video games
>poor
Pure coincidence :^)

Think of the second monitor as enhancing your multitasking experience. It stops you needing to switch between programs. Which will save you a couple of seconds each time you do it.

Do you multi task enough to make it worthwhile?

Also why are you complaining about space when there is a giant pc in the desk?

Ever noticed how multi-monitor setups on Jow Forums almost always run Windows, not Linux, with Steam and often even Discord icons visible?
The few Linux setups with multiple monitors depict nothing useful going on, often an Anime and music player running on spare monitors.

>Modern flat screens are thin as shit and easily fit two in the same space.
You can only fit two flat screens in the same space as a CRT if you put one behind the other. That way you can't see the monitor behind the visible monitor, so why would you do this?

i don't see photos of single screen monitorlets with their social or work things open either
it's only trading and media because it's benign

>oled
>video production
no, no no no
you do not use poor color reproduction displays for professional work

>real professional work.
What is "unreal" professional work?

*makes $15,000,000 / year using a single monitor*

Attached: Di-ht5CUcAAS3Kf.jpg (616x456, 41K)

Im using pic related

Attached: 20181011_122931.jpg (4032x1960, 2.45M)

Yup.

Attached: IMG_20180818_130547.jpg (4160x3120, 2.9M)

>Wintendo
>Glowing keyboard

Actually, one monitor is Windows. The other two are Linux. I have more than one computer... fucking poorfag.

Why does the wall right of your setup look like the Indian flag. Wait... is that Windows?...
Mystery solved.

>I have more than one computer
Wow! You must be very rich.

You carve out more plugs? Is this what Jow Forums has come to?

tell me that's not fucking wordperfect

He's confirmed multiple times that he writes GoT on an old MS-DOS box

fucking boomers
just use vim or emacs org-mode if you want to be a hipster.
how the fuck does he gets the files off there? floppies? At least if you use dosbox on a modern machine you can easily move shit around while keeping your old interfaces

i don't know how to carve blug

this is what peak efficiency looks like.

Attached: 20180924_211739l.jpg (7920x2144, 3.62M)

I think ive heard him say that he uses an old POS so he has no possible distractions immediately available.

If he was using a modern machine the internet is right there.

Yet without it, I'd feel so empty

just use openbsd in a tty
literally nothing can distract you because all the OS can do is edit text anyway

>I hate doing it but it's a necessity. Multiple monitors are ugly and take up space.
100% this. I wish I could have more deskspace but I just can't be as productive with 1 monitor.

Anyone try one big 43” 4K?

Its a green screen you new cuck

A cheap 2nd monitor in flipped portrait mode couldn't hurt if you have the deskspace....

See mine

Three monitors is ideal.

Left monitor: IDE and integrated terminal
Center monitor: Browser
Right monitor: Terminal with tmux panes with log tails and ssh into server or use with chrome dev tools

Second monitor is almost used for unnecessary distractions.

For me, two was necessary when I first got a 2nd monitor. Having a 3rd was just a nice addition. And using 3 monitors at work is a godsend with how many different windows I need to have up.

40" 4k is all you need.

(actually if I had to do it over I'd go with a couple more inches, and curved if possible :----------)

But seriously having 4 bezel-less 1080p monitors at my disposal for about $210 shipped is as god-tier as it gets. For productivity at least (when I actually have to do work)

Attached: bettlestation.png (1688x1265, 3.84M)

-1 For opening the Banana the wrong way
-1 For not taking your pills
-1 For keeping water bottle so close

>banana the wrong way
*sigh* Son, I have something to tell you.

And I was in the middle of an adderall binge when I took it, so water & pills are always close by.

1 monitor of resolution that is at least 1440p is ought to be enough, if not, question your window management skills

2 is a requirement, since its easy to look at both
3 you start to get diminishing returns since you actually have to move your head

dude needs to dust
or adjust the bloom setting

Distracting

I am adhd as fuck so I have 3.

Left: Dedicated netflix
Middle: documentation, internet, video games
Right: dedicated nvim

>video game on CRT
>htop fullscreen on TV
>Jow Forums on monitor
>possibly work on 1 monitor
>some forum on monitor
>video games on two more CRTs
looks very efficient indeed

ITT: Jow Forums tells a man who makes $15M/yr with his computer how to be more efficient.

kill yourself leaguefag and mousepadlet
get a goddamn mouse bundgie you worthless piece of shit, i hope you fucking yank your corsair paperweight back too far and knock over your faggot drink. you know it's gonna happen because the wooden pallet coaster you have (surely to remind you of your forklift boy job) looks like it's light as a feather and it'll slide when the cord hits it
ideally your monitors will be permanently damaged by your horrendous speaker setup, and you find a better spot for your headphone box because it's quite simply pathetic that you have it holding up your monitor. get a real mount if you need one, or get a monitor that slides up and down on its stand, or adjust your chair like a man.

>not having rack mounted monitors that fold up when not in use
amateur hour in here

pointless when virtual desktops exist

Looks like in your case, they're both a waste of space.

>all the OS can do is edit text anyway
ok i lold

Attached: CP2077_Sun.png (330x319, 178K)

If that was the jazzfest in NOLA a few years back I was totally there. Bitch can sing

>Waste of space or an actual necessity?
I can tell you this, once you get used to more than one it's hard to go back to one, I'd take two even if it's just 1080p and an ancient 720p on the side. And that's how it started. Then I added another 1080p and used that for a while until I replaced the 720p with a 1080p. Now I'm using a 3x4k setup. That's no necessity but it's quite comfortable.

If you're fine with one then that's great, good for you. If you try to use more than one for a while then you'll probably get used to it pretty darn quickly.

If I had to be a 40 year old virgin, I would want to be you.

Wanna netplay?

please tell me thats a phone you use as a daily driver but never took out of the plastic wrapping
that will make my day

Attached: 1539515851849.gif (364x339, 768K)