Is reddit designed to be an echo chamber?

Is reddit designed to be an echo chamber?
I get a few downvotes in a community and now I have to wait 10 minutes in between each comment...

Attached: reddit.jpg (1000x562, 26K)

you have to go back

Tune in to Jow Forums for more things everyone already knows

>I get a few downvotes in a community and now I have to wait 10 minutes in between each comment
Has nothing to do with downvotes and everything to do with you having a new account

back to l*ddit

Idk about echo, but its designed to be controlled, yes.

yes. Lesser voted comments also get less visibility.
no it doesn't. New accounts get shadow treatment and comments on certain sub like /politics aren't visible to anyone but yourself. Which is just as bad if not worse.

I don't think they planned it to be this way. But as they grew into a successful business through selling ad space and astroturfing content they've become the biggest echo chamber on the internet, as far as aggregating topics goes. But smaller niche subs like sports related stuff seems legit. Of course you have the same echo chamber effect through the voting system but at least comments are visible and unrestricted.

Yes its an echo chamber designed to maintain like minded together, you have penalties for not complying with the main view.
You now at the stage were you have posting restrictions next stage will be harassment by a regular and then a moderator will call you out for telling the harasser to fuck of, and then you stop using that site...
Stay with us if you want, this place has lots of internal trolling but no one gives a fuck, you see it all day with
>linux haters
>windox haters
>ay intel done

but its fine we like it this way but YOU fucking pieces of shit you have to FUCKING GO BACK

Go back, faggot. You are not welcome here.

stay here bro. This is like reddit 2.0 anyway

>stay here bro. This is like reddit 2.0 anyway

Attached: 1536895596057.png (324x362, 45K)

Exactly, Jow Forums is indistinguishable from reddit at this point

Haha nice robot feelguy meme xD

>Exactly, Jow Forums is indistinguishable from reddit at this point

Attached: 1504288458057.jpg (600x238, 18K)

Except I can't bury and hide your comment if you hurt my feelings. Maybe the userbase and culture here has gone rotten but we'll never be as bad as reddit at least in terms of hosting discussion simply because of design. I really wish BBS's didn't die for this shit.

Jow Forums surely is

>delete things that aren't normal so the website stays normal
>only let people post if they post normal posts
>what is normal?
>whatever I say

OP here, I have had an account for 2 years, I only have to deal with this on subreddits I have low karma in.

over 90% of Jow Forums browses reddit now, most likely including you

>over 90% of Jow Forums browses reddit now
[Citation needed]

Is this not the premise of an echo chamber?

Reddit is a designated "make your own circlejerk/safe space" platform in case you failed to notice.

I post controversial shit all the time on reddit and I don't get downvoted as long as it's well thought out and reasonable.
Low effort Jow Forums tier posting
>implying apple isn't for fags xD
will get you downvoted yes.
Some subs are designed to be echo chambers though. Usually the politically inclined ones tend to censor the opposite opinion.

>most likely including you

Attached: 1538139636903.png (205x246, 4K)

Nice source

Thanks.

>Is reddit designed to be an echo chamber?
Yes, go back you fucking nigger

t. npc

Why would a sane person ever browse Schreddit

i used to use it for video grabbing in different subreddits, you could do a search like this
site:youtube.com OR youtu.be

they recently banned my favorite subreddit for finding videos though, i was also banned from the documentaries subreddit and i havent felt like joining in on anything yet. you're contributing a lot for little gain.

the gain i get here is temporary, fleeting, correlated with how much effort i want to put into it. and that's how it should be i think, there's still a profile about you being built either way, but here you dont build up a persona or an ego about it and i think that's healthier for yourself and your productivity.

>Is reddit designed to be an echo chamber?
It might not be DESIGNED for that purpose but that is how it really ended up. In my limited experiences, any forum that allows down votes also end up as echo chambers. Examples are The Register and TU. It is often unclear if they downvote because they do not like the facts you bring, disagree with you or think they know better.

At The Register anything remotely defending the remainders will be down voted in droves even if you write from 15 years of work experience in a particular field.

It is also noticeable to see people quickly down vote the first repliers regardless of content yet never with an explanation as to why. I suspect this is a semi automated process for the purpose of selling positions of the front page of Reddit and other places.

I find sites where you are identified by handle only useful when it is treated as strict Q&A.
For instance stack overflow.

For simply socializing with people I find anonymous image boards to be comfortable and strike the perfect balance since you are not easily identifiable by other users and there is room for error.
Discussion quality aside, the focus is more often than not on the conversation and not the identity of the posters themselves.
The pacing is just right, instant messaging such as IRC is just too fast unless you are having a chat with a few close mates.

For following news other sites do a far better job since digging for threads in an archive is a pain in the ass along with posting limitations.

in the documentaries subreddit the bias was really noticeable as liberal leaning. with large downvotes being dispersed to anything contrary to the left wing narrative.

the only post i ever saw which got traction there was the farmlands documentay by laura southern but this success was due to it being posted a lot, which led to it receiving 100-200 upvotes each time (still being suppressed) most people would just give up after being shunned like these posts are. i'd imagine a lot of the posters are banned for posting controversial documentaries available on youtube. it's really polluted and political for sure.

You have to go back.

>reddit scum who absolutely refuses to go back to where he came from
>is a seething Jow Forums cuck refugee who's mad that reddit wouldn't let him get away with spamming "right wing """documentarys""""
How could I have guessed this. Jow Forums really did kill this website.

PS: You have to go back.

imagine being so arrogant that you think everyone is just like you
go away, nigger.

A voting system had worked if the votes came from your peers. In reality it comes from those with an urge to vote. There are two solutions I can see: either reveal who votes and allow each person to put a weight on each user relating to each topics (complicated), or go anonymous as on Jow Forums.

The former approach could be used coarsely on Usenet News using kill files. I miss those. I think Advogadro tried something more fine grained but it went nowhere. I suspect you need a huge infrastructure to make it work.

For all the garbage in here, Jow Forums still has a signal in the noise worth following. That is why I am still here.

Are there any fora there that in any ways are better than Jow Forums??

Discourse is determined by populism on Reddit. If an echo chamber... I mean subreddit, doesn't like what you have to say, regardless that you provide facts to back up your claims, they will downvote you into oblivion. They don't want to hear what you're selling. Which is why they've closed themselves off in their respective echo chambers.. I mean subreddits.

Mastodon is the Twitter equivalent.

8chn

Kill yourself

7chan
8gag is as bad of an echo chamber as reddit

The chat block is new, my 7 year old account receives it. I don't get it.