Just had to install this shit for someone and I really do not understand why people shill this here

Just had to install this shit for someone and I really do not understand why people shill this here.
Firstly, it took forever to install and had to reboot multiple times in the process. Then it had some awful voice from the 90s try to walk me through the installation. Once it finally installed I had to use a real OS (GNU/Linux) to download drivers because Windows is so fucking stupid that it doesn't even pull drivers by default. What the fuck? GNU/Linux has been doing this for twenty years.
So I got all the drivers I needed and went to install them and they all needed a separate installation "wizard". I couldn't just have them install at once, I had to go through this annoying GUI for all of them. And it was slow. When I install a GNU/Linux distro and update/upgrade for the first time it is fast and easy. This was nonsense.
So it was all set up and everything, I decided to install some software. I looked in the "Windows store", which seems to be a graphical package manager, and there was fucking nothing there. It had ads in it, too. On a paid OS. I found out I have to download executable files from the internet and run them. That's extremely insecure and shady, but I did it anyway. Firefox installed fine, despite having to use a retarded installer wizard.
I then wanted to try out some simple tasks, just to see how much easier they were. Well this was the worst part. I burn a lot of optical discs, so I tried doing that. No dd by default. No dd in the package manager. Can't even get the tools necessary to build from source. There are two terminals, cmd and Powershell. They are both garbage. No option for BASH, ZSH, or any useful shell. Just some outdated IBM DOS shit. When was the last time this was even updated? So now I'm stuck. How do I burn a disc on this garbage OS? How do I get Emacs? How do people use an OS that doesn't have a proper shell?
I give Windows a 0/10. I don't see why anyone would ever want to use this.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1440x1080, 42K)

Are you talking about XP?

>That Zoomer who expects us to read his mind

Attached: channel soy.jpg (960x720, 82K)

redddit

Attached: snapshot_20.58.png (1920x1080, 2.84M)

It's the latest one. 10, I think.
I don't expect that, you zoomer.
>>>/microsoftsupport/

I give your bait 0/10

Yeah windows is shit
I prefer DOS 6.22

Call M$ and ask them if they can burn the CD for you by downloading your entire harddrive and deleting the files afterwards. Everything is stored in their cloud anyway... Oh, and don't mind the ads in the app store, ads are embedded in the start menu and Explorer as well, even though you've paid $150 for this "OS". Be aware of the automated and forced updates, though. I've heard they cause your system to get into a bootlock with blue screens.

I prefer a proper OS, like GNU/Linux.

What is a GNU

This is the OS that wangtards call "professional". Where do they come up with this stuff. This is only suitable for a four year old kid. Which seems to be their demographic, judging by their package manager.

Oh look it’s the wangtard kid again

If this isn't pasta it certainly should be.

Linuxbabies btfo

Windows is the baby OS. They advertise games right in the package manager.

>Minecraft
>Candy Crush Sage
let's think about the term "baby-os" again...

winshitters seething itt

How do people put up with this shit? Just opened up a VM to check and it's worse than I thought.

Attached: winstore.png (1152x766, 775K)

>How do I burn a CD?
Literally drag and drop files on the cd icon in the windows explorer then right click onthe cd and choose "burn" WOW!

>t. mactoddler

Why can't I just use dd? It's been around since the 70s, you'd think any OS would support it.

I use GNU/Linux. But at least Mac OS has basic functionality and no ads. Enjoy your toddler Candy Crush OS, pajeet.

dd is a unix standard and emacs is a unix binary. Both are elf based while you're using an OS under the Windows NT kernel, don't expect any compatibility whatsoever. If you REALLY want that bad a unix-like environment on windows, install msys2 (basically a linux subsystem for windows, you can install dd and emacs through pacman if you want) and chocolatey (god-tier package manager for windows)

How about on windows 98 boot disk?

Windows has gone mad. I don't even know what is on fresh installs anymore. I had two versions of Candy Crush immediately on mine. Also when I reinstalled it on my Mac once it gave me a totally different version after an update. Once it was with Cortana and the other time it wasn't. It also deleted Steam by itself after updating. Who even fucking knows what it is doing? And the memory it takes up is insane. The basic install after updates uses like 50GB now. What the fuck is even in there?

>macshit
found your problem

If your question is how to burn something on a cd when you're on the win98 bootdisk, so dos, there is mscdex bundled with it so maybe fiddling around with it or something. But that's out of the thread scope, we are talking about dos here, not windows. Also if you're OP I highly suspect you to have made this thread just to throw shit at windows without actually wanting help to get your problem fixed. You sound like someone whi just want to rant on windows, if that's the case I'm not wasting anymore tile trying to help you

Windows is for professionals. If you want to fiddle with ricing like a tard install linux, or you can buy macshit if you are gay. Every supposed Windows problem has an answer online.

Bill Gates is based though

I dont know what the fuck is (((OP)))s problem its obviously a divide and conquer shill
apart from a few computers with paid windows (xp, 10 twice, vista) I just try to salvage computers I find, install DOS 6.22 to Scan disk to remove bad sectors (If i just go straight to a bigger OSs it wont work because it installs on a bad sectors and fucks the whole hard drive), use the windows 98 boot disk to install Windows 98 (an iso, from the archive of course), go for a fuckfest of driver hunts, get kernel ex or whatever else
I still dont know how get youtube running on it but ive gotten httpS support

and its all free

>click on things
>they open

not hard

This was posted by a mactoddler who spams this board a hundred times a day.

you might be interseted by UBCD, it has memtest, scandisk, freedos, minimal linux, nuke and a lot mire bundled in one neat iso

Chocolatey is not God tier, it is shit. I already tried it. It's worse than every other package manager I have tried.
No, Windows is the problem. It is objectively horrible.
What kind of a professional has Candy Crush and Minecraft installed. Windows is just for toddlers.
Why do pajeets always try to use Apple to deflect from their awful OS?

Take you fruity toddler toy here

pajeets are either paid by MS or by apple. they think in money. they don't even think that linux is worth fighting against. this is were you spot a real pajeet compared to just shilling arse.

Inferiority complex

>4 year olds can use a computer better than me

Thanks but DOS
D
E
S
T
R
O
Y
S
bad sectors

>talking about 10
>posts the XP logo

there's gparted live bundled with it as well as scandisk

Take your toddler toy here

A computer with windows installed isn't even a computer, it's a toy at that point.

It's all the same shit. Nobody cares about the different versions.

Apple wouldn't give a shit about Jow Forums. If you really think Apple is sitting here shilling you their iPhone when they can market to millions of normies on twitter you fell for disinfo. It is Microsoft's "evangelists" that create divide and conquer amongst tech nerds so that their competitors remain on the fringe and won't be adopted by businesses. They promote Linux distros that are unfriendly to the common person and push the "Linux is for nerds only" narrative. For Mac, they promote the "tech illiterate Apple user" image. The end goal is to try and make Windows appear as the general option for most people, with Linux as a fringe option, and Mac being for retards. I use a Mac and I used Linux too. Both are decent, I think MacOS is better but I don't hate Linux. It's all divide and conquer faggotry to keep the competition from being seen as a true competitor. They want Linux to be a hobby OS forever.

Dont even know what a two thirds of what you said is
It would work with a good hard drive and it would install newer operating systems without the boot route of DOS

>mactoddler shit

>I found out I have to download executable files from the internet and run them. That's extremely insecure and shady, but I did it anyway.
the only reason I'm still using windows is because with linux i have to deal with the autism of a package manager

Wintoddlers can't look down on Mactoddlers. They are just as bad if not worse.

>defending macshit
Take your throttling fruity toddler toy off this technology board and into the trash where it belongs.

Do you disagree with my statement?

>I don't know how to play with toys that 98% of the world plays with
Are all Gentoo users like this?

>it's popular therefore it's good, see I can run a word processor

>It's not popular so it's better than the popular thing

No, everything is better than Wintoddler shit.

that would speed up your work yeah

>Everything is better than the thing almost everyone uses
I figured it out, people who don't use windows or Mac OS are outcasts who think that everyone else is the problem, and assume they are the ones shunning society

Name one good thing about wangblows.

I can play games on it, most everything is on it or supported by it, major companies expect me to be able to use it, the government gets stronger when I use it

Now your turn, name one good thing about wangblows my man. Or do you only know of hate?

1) Lots of games + software generally, also drivers for all hardware except mactoddler shit

2) Large userbase means most serious problems have been bitched about and M$ finds a solution breddy fast unlike Linoox (even if you pay for professional support the tiny userbase and developer team = lots of serious bugs they never get around to fixing)

3) Not for homos like Macs

You can play games on any OS.
Where is dd?
I don't care what companies think.
The government doesn't. The NSA and Microsoft do. The NSA is not part of the government, they merely work with them.

I already said a good thing, they know their demographic, which is pre-teens.

works on my machine

while linux shits itself with screen tearing

Who cares about games? Are you 5 ears old? I have tetris on my laptop, but that's all I bother with for games.
You should learn how to troubleshoot, rather than just searching for answers on the net.
xD

video games
professional software

Lol who cares about dd just search for "cd burner program" on your favourite search engine like an 80 year old would

The only DDs I care about are the ones I'll be sucking on tonight on the cab ride home from the club

Microsoft loves nerds using Linux. They even put it on their Windows Store. What they care about is that it doesn't become like Firefox or Chrome did, something everyone can download and try. Most Linux users even have a dual boot so you never even stopped using their product.

If you
>recommend Thinkpad regardless of the persons needs
>recommend hipster Linux distros regardless of the persons needs
>think Macs are for retards
>laugh at normies tech choices
Congratulations, you are blue pilled, Microsoft has you on the fringe of tech where they want you.

If you
>recommend Ubuntu and normie distros
>are friendly about Linux and help spread awareness (or even contribute)
>recommend Mac computers for those that aren't up for Linux
>avoid divide and conquer bullshit between any modern OS not made by MS
You are doing it right, based and redpilled.

Attached: 1499670621429.jpg (5000x3333, 2.77M)

This is why no one takes you retards seriously. Fuck off back to /v/.
They put a crappy compatibility layer in their store.

>microsoft loves linux
absolute cucks

The state of the operating system market has stayed the same for basically the last 20 years now.

Microsoft achieved market dominance by the mid-1990s. This means that most software and hardware developers focus on making sure that their products work on Windows. This doesn't make Windows inherently better, but it does represent one way that using Windows tends to be easier especially for ordinary computer users, who often only own one desktop computer and are most focused on a system that "le just werks xD" which brings me to:

Apple. They got big through hipster marketing bullshit, enough said. But again, because they represent 15%+ of the desktop market in most countries, this means that a lot of software developers make sure that their flagship products work on MacOS. Even Microsoft used to have a version of Office for Mac, which is the kind of thing normies are relieved by. They get to feel like special snowflakes and still not have to learn about "all that nerd stuff" which is the normie sweet spot.

Then you have everything else, mostly Linux. In many ways, other OSs can be better, but because of the smaller userbases, problems and bugs can go longer without being fixed, and until critical mass is reached software developers will mostly ignore them, and this is the main problem that will make mainstream adoption difficult. It's kind of a Catch-22, people would obviously prefer a free OS to a paid one all other things being equal, but because MS and Apple have such a vice-like grip on the market, it's worth it for most people to pay that $200 toll. I bet that in the long run, Linux may actually conquer desktops as happened with smartphones, it will just take a while, that's all.

Attached: depositphotos_78431800-stock-photo-wilderbeest-or-gnu.jpg (763x1024, 92K)

thanks mate
where does it live?

Bedrocked and redberried

>You should learn how to troubleshoot, rather than just searching for answers on the net.

While you're right that he should, the average computer user doesn't want to troubleshoot anything, he just wants his computer to work and if anything goes wrong he wants other people to fix it. You might think that's childish or unreasonable, but that's how it is.

Get off Jow Forums if you're an average computer user.

It's not about me. This turned into a discussion about why Microsoft is still so dominant in the OS market, and the answer is staring us in the face: Microsoft's products, for now, appeal better to normal computer users.

Until normal computer users can take their desktop home with Linux installed and do all the normie shit they like including gaming just as easily and conveniently as they would be able to do on Windows, they're just not going to do it.

The best plan of attack for those who want to fuck with Microsoft is to get BUSINESS USERS who don't give a shit about gaming to start using Linux on their laptops and desktops. That's a lot of people, and it could be enough to get the ball rolling. Unfortunately, the continued dominance of Microsoft Office presents a significant obstacle.

If Linux can ever make a significant dent in the desktop market, say, enough to overtake Apple, that would represent a serious tipping point. But until that happens you guys will still be in the wilderness.

The main problem is that Linux enthusiasts and developers too tend to look at it the wrong way. They think their product "is good enough as it is" and that computer users aren't biting because they're just stupid. They're kinda right, but at the end of the day, if you can't sell it to normies, they won't bite.

Seems maybe the answer is taking a bite out of Steve Job's proverbial apple. Really it SHOULD be simple to sell Linux as a sort of hipster thing, since it exemplifies the values that college kids at least pretend to care about...

This has never been a discussion about why some retarded baby ducks love Windows.
The reason GNU/Linux devs don't care about a broader market is because we aren't doing it to trim marks like Microdick and Apple. Nobody cares if GNU/Linux gets a bigger market share on workstations or not. The point of this thread is how terrible Windows is.

GNU/Linux > macOS > Windows

This is probably the most sane fucking message I've ever read on this board