Acer Swift 3

Acer Swift 3
Ryzen 5 2500U
Vega 8
8GB DDR4

planning to buy this, my usage will be mostly for college : MATLAB and such. I occasionally play some indie titles but those run on potatoes so I don't care about the lack of dedicated graphics. anyone on Jow Forums own this, can you shill me on it or against it? are there any better alternatives I'm overlooking?

Attached: acer-na-laptop-original-imaf9hu4rzy3wacu.jpg (550x334, 35K)

Other urls found in this thread:

asus.com/us/Laptops/ASUS-VivoBook-S15-S510UQ/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Bad battery life, soldered ram

Get a laptop with the 8250u paired with an mx150
Ryzen mobile just still isn't quite there yet.

As much as it hurts me to bring the underdog down I have to agree. CPU performance is better and more efficient than intel but that's the only redeeming quality. Vega graphics chew through significantly more juice than nvidia counterparts and HW video decoding is not as efficient as it is on intel.

Drivers and bios updates are rumoured to fix or significantly improve battery life but it's a gamble.

Also the 15W TDP throttle limits vega graphics and cpu performance significantly since they have to share that TDP.

If you're gonna go with ryzen I highly suggest waiting for a 2800H laptop OP. It'll still have bad battery life but you'll have less throttled performance even when using cpu and graphics at the same time. If you can't wait then intel cpu + dGPU is your best bet.

MAYLAB is mostly single-thread. Go i5 and Nvidia if you ever want to CUDA something.

Matebook D with 2500U is configured for 25W TDP + mXFR. Has decent cooling, so no throttling that plagues other ryzen laptops.
Bulkier E585 is also 25W IIRC if you really want 15 inch.

> 8250u
Roughly the same Passmark scores, so see for yourself, OP. What's cheaper.
Also, yes, soldered RAM. Jow Forums tends to avoid that because manufacturers overcharge for RAM and it's cheaper to add it afterwards. Same for HDD and SSD slots, try to find out whether your laptop will be able to fit both.

I got a HP Pavilion with a GTX 1050, way better than some integrated GPU.
It was on promotion tho and I got it for 540 yuro instead of 850 but it had everything you could hope to have. Which is a SSD, 8GB DDR4, i5 8250U etc...

So yea, buying a laptop with a GTX 1050 without compromising too much on the price should be possible if you look hard enough.
That is, of course, if a GPU is important to you.

What about pic related? Trying to find a steal around $500

Attached: Screenshot_20181013-104646_Slickdeals.jpg (720x1480, 188K)

Is that the one with the 940mx?

Don't think so.

SPEC:

Windows 10 Home 64 Bit

14" 1080P IPS Glossy Touch /w Active Pen Support

i5-8250U 1.6 GHz (3.4 GHz Turbo, 6MB cache)

8GB DDR4L 2400 MHz (16GB max, 1 Slot)

256GB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD

720P HD WebCam

Backlit Keyboard

Harman Speakers /w Dolby Audio Premium

Dual Band 802.11 AC (1 x 1) + Bluetooth® 4.1

PORTS:

2x USB 3.0 (1 always On Charging)

1x USB 3.0 Type-C Gen 1

1x HDMI

1x 4-in-1 Card Reader

1x Audio Combo Jack

4 Cell 45 WHr Li-Polymer Battery

3.68 lbs

>$500
You're better off doing a 2200G desktop build m8. When you get the money buy a graphics card after.

I had an incredibly bad experience with Acer; they don't consider thermals or build quality to be important at all. Please reconsider.

Eh, it's not for me. It's for my father. He likes to sit in his chair and watch TV while googling or do work shit. He oddly complains about speed all the time most of it a degrading i5 - 3rd gen and heavily loaded JS web pages. Got a $500 budget seen an i7 7thgen go for $500-600 before and determined to get something similar.

i5-8250u or i7-8550u?

Both are 4/8, i7 is 200MHz better (600MHz in Turboboost), and has more cache. Ehhh, I wouldn't, with 15W TDP it doesn't matter much.

Is this the laptop general?
I'm thinking of buying a laptop for work but with an extra for simple games and maybe play modern games at minimum
asus.com/us/Laptops/ASUS-VivoBook-S15-S510UQ/
Saw a good deal for this one in a store, comes with an extra HDD and a bag and it was at 600 dollars
What do you guys think?
Can you recommend one that's within my budget?

Those are pretty solid. Plastic body if i remember right( friend has it) but doesnt feel cheap at all
Pretty light and good specs for the money

I don't understand why one is that much more expensive than the other, though. You can find the 8250 in relatively cheap laptops, but he 8550 is found only in laptops near or above 700€.

Because Intel markup on the i7 is $100 already, also there are added costs for logistics, taxes, you know, $10 difference in manufacturing becomes $100 in the retail price. Same here.

What's the benchmark for that graphics card? You think I could run something like Tekken on it?

I own this exact same laptop
here are some of my experiences
>screen is ok
>sound is good
>touchpad is fucking amazing
>keyboard is meh
>vega 8 is noice, enough to run newer games on lower res
what else do you want to know

Attached: IMG_20181014_000518.jpg (3120x4160, 2.86M)

What do you use it for? Web browsing? Programming? CAD?
How well does it perform at those tasks?

>webbrowsing
excellent, no hickups thanks to the nvme ssd
>programming
haven't tried compiling gentoo yet, but given it's a 4c/8t ryzen it should be bretty good
>CAD
I'm not into that stuff, can't say anything
overall I'd say it's really good
it's biggest issue is the lack of repairability

How are the temperatures on that laptop? I don't seen to have any heat exhaust on sides.

temperatures are okay for basic tasks, webbrowsing, videos
I can barely hear the fans
exhaust on bottom only
temp readings are borked so I can't give you a proper answer

take the fucking stickers off, jason