So, what do you think about WMware? Pros, cons?

So, what do you think about WMware? Pros, cons?

I heard it's miles better than Proton and/or Wine.

Attached: vmware-player-logo.png (256x256, 44K)

>WMware
you had one job

This is bait, right?

>there is a question
>proceed without answering the question

I hate this place.

Attached: 121675.png (1299x1299, 24K)

dumb tranny

Why are you comparing it to Proton and Wine? It's a different thing entirely, and its virtualize graphics, while amazingly okay, still really aren't suitable for gaming. If you're on Linux it's far better to use KVM. It takes more dicking around to make it work right, but you get the full power of your GPU.

Atleast compare it to other VMs like Docker.

0/10 b8 or ur retarded
yeah it's better for apps except vidya, for that use KVM with pci passthrough

chroot is much more lightweight

And if we're comparing to VirtualBox on Windows, I used to love VMware but have switched recently.
>Unity was a great feature but now it's only good for Windows guest on Windows host. Can't even leave in the slightly buggy Linux support I was using, just gotta rip the whole thing out. VBox's way isn't as nice but at least it works.
>TRIM. On VMware to reclaim space from deleted files, you have to zero-fill free space, shut down, and perform a long "shrink" operation. On VBox you can edit your VM to have its disk as a virtual SSD with TRIM support, and vdi segments are freed on the fly as you delete files.
>Virtual disk format support. Give VirtualBox an existing VMware VMDK and it's happy. Same with a bunch of other virtual disk formats. It even comes with a utility to convert between them. VMware only works with VMDK, and if you need to convert you have to get the utility from VirtualBox without fully installing it since the virtualization kernel drivers for them conflict.

Faster than virtualbox, far too streamlined though, so much so that control is lost.

Faster in what regard? I remember it being faster back when everything was done in software, but now both of them just use VT-x/AMD-V and deliver the same basically native performance.

Can any VM even go beyond DirectX 10? KVM?

Attached: 1530213240796.png (468x653, 660K)

new vmware does dx 10.1

KVM, if you do the PCIe passthrough thing. Then your VM literally has a GPU. It plugs the raw PCIe device directly into the VM. So you get whatever DirectX level your GPU supports.

Before i bothered to install dual boot on my computer i tried using VM as a sort of "devmachine" in ubuntu. So judging only by "feel" (im a fps gamer, any sort of lag in mouse feels absolutely awful, can't stand it), virtualbox was a lot slower than vmware (a few months ago). So i suppose i should've written that vmware "feels" faster and smoother

Did you install guest additions?

No, just baseline vmware and baseline virtualbox

just use QEMU

Apparently your dev VM includes a driver that works with VMware's USB tablet, but for VirtualBox's you'd nerd a driver from guest additions. Both feel super wonky if you're stuck with PS/2 mouse input to them. The USB tablet input allows for instantly switching in and out, and just uses your native cursor so it feels natural.