Is the price/GB gap ever going to close?

Is the price/GB gap ever going to close?

A 8TB drive is $150 these days whereas that same price will only get you a 1TB ssd.

Literally 8x more storage for the same price.

Attached: hdd-v-ssd.jpg (1920x1080, 82K)

Other urls found in this thread:

vikingtechnology.com/products/storage-overview/uhc-silo-35ssd/
amazon.com/gp/product/B07D5V2ZXD/
blog.seagate.com/craftsman-ship/hamr-next-leap-forward-now/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

SSD prices are consistently falling.
Just wait a little longer.

The SSD is "Literally" 8x (probably more) faster than the HDD.

They are afforable enough at the moment to store the operating system and a few games/files for around $100

SSD - Boot/System/Programs

HDD - Data

Though really if you got a ton of data on your desktop you may want to think about moving that stuff to a dedicated nas or server instead. Just my 02.

My 970 Evo is about 10x-15x faster than my previous fast HDD. It was about 6-8x price.

how do I check ssd life in linux? Is there any program that gives me a % value like crystal disk?

the real question is where are my 50Tb drives

we seem to be forever stuck on 8tb

>where are my 50Tb drives
Tape

ramdrives are redpilled

Cheap SSDs started being very good.

An SSD isn't about "lol boi, look how much storage I got on this thing". It's about speed of transfer and speed of function.

Your average HDD has around 100-120 iops of typical performance. Higher RPM HDDs get as many as 200 iops.

Whereas, a typical speedier SSD can get as many as 100,000 iops. Compared to your typical HDD, a basic, cheap SSD is around 833 times faster at processing heavy information while still being up to 10 times faster at downloading/uploading data.

I personally moved to full SSD power, no HDD is in my PC and it feels good. HDDs were vibrating a lot and now, having a 1TB SSD as a main boot drive and 16TB of SSD space (yeah, it cost a lot, but I can afford it costing a lot so I don't care) it's absolutely great having passive, blazing fast storage.

As of right now, I can wholeheartedly recommend you invest in a 256GB SSD. Take the ADATA ssds for example, they are decent enough to be worth it. Don't get any realtek controller shit, you'll get a dead SSD in 6-12 months with ease.

At some point in time a 8TB SSD will cost $150: But the question is when and what will HDD's look like that that point in time.. Maybe HDD technology has plateaued already and we're only getting small increments whereas SSD tech is growing at a much faster rate.

this is pretty much it

Outside of speed, noise is THE reason why HDDs are worthless cancer for anything but external storage.

Thanks Jay

hdd prices are being kept artificially high, so no , it won't drop
since they'll do the same with ssds

I'm expecting in the next 10 years to see 10 gb/s storage solutions become very affordable.

>Outside of speed, noise is THE reason why HDDs are worthless cancer for anything but external storage.
>tfw grew up with loud pc coolers
HDD noise... heh...

Attached: bfb.gif (680x363, 92K)

You grew up with slow ass shit hardware too, things change and there is no point to tolerate noise anymore.

It's funny that you mention that Hardware is faster nowadays.
The faster our hardware gets, the more bloated our software gets, slowly chipping away at the efficiency gains.

>You grew up with slow ass shit hardware too
Not really, win10 + nvme ssd feels as fast as xp + hdd was back then.

MSDOS booted faster than your current full SSD setup.
Checkmate

with internet speeds and more and more services online , i find i am using far less hdd space than i used to.

It's given though. Now you don't have to spend effort on squeezing the most out of a glorified calculator and have more cores and ram to work with than you'll ever need. Tbqh it only triggers me from the efficiency POV.

Not really, besides you'll notice the difference when you actually do something. Something as basic as moving a file is on another level.

Aren't there people who do a bit more than booting up?

>efficiency
Oh yeah. If everything was streamlined, optimized, and took advantage of the multi-core, everything would already be lightning fast

>HDD - Data
no way fag SSDs don't require a clean room to repair unlike spinning rust

>1TB ssd
Samsung's new consumer line of products is rumored to start at 1TB as the their "entry" product. Which by entry is probably somewhere in between their 250-500GB models MSRP.
Considering they''ll be using QLC I guess it's totally plausible. Would also explain why companies are lowering their entry price level from $50-60 to $25-30.

smartctl

Different manufacturers use different terms, for some it's wear leveling count/cache, for some it will say something about life left or drive health. It's usually a counter starting at 100, like a percentage value for the remaining life of the disk.

vikingtechnology.com/products/storage-overview/uhc-silo-35ssd/

Good luck finding one, much less paying for it.

>8TB for $150
Where the fuck are you finding these prices? And don't give me some sale bullshit

I've had to use XP a few times recently. You're full of shit. Even the most basic functions take ages with XP+HDD.

amazon.com/gp/product/B07D5V2ZXD/

>repair
Ultimate autism.

Fair enough, but what's the actual drive inside? I know some of them had Reds. I'm not sure if I'd trust that in my NAS though.
On a side note, why are people buying band-aids with these things?

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-10-14 11-25-21.png (740x279, 53K)

>there is no point to tolerate noise anymore.
Should go full postal and kill all humans, dogs, cats and birds around the area?
Beta uprising?

> kill all humans, dogs, cats and birds around the area
Sounds like a start but most of these are avoidable if you work at night, unless you're in the middle of a huge city or live in a ghetto.

Making your PC noise free takes a bit less effort too.

>Just wait a little longer.
Wait for another "shortage"? SSD's are already cheaper to make than hdds, but they still cost more.
>Is the price/GB gap ever going to close?
No manufacturers would probably stop production of mech drives before that happens.

20TB HAMR drives are expected to be released by 2019, and will increase to 50TB/drive by 2022/2023.
blog.seagate.com/craftsman-ship/hamr-next-leap-forward-now/

>$150
fuck yanks

t.kiwi

Attached: Meanwhile_in_kiwi_land.png (710x336, 41K)

>5400 RPM

Attached: 1467830985047.jpg (226x258, 9K)

>according to the company, its 3D QLC NAND is targeted for ~1000 program/erase cycles, which is close to TLC NAND flash. This is considerably higher than the amount of cycles (100–150) expected for QLC by the industry over the years. It is unclear how Toshiba managed to increase the endurance of its 3D QLC NAND by an order of magnitude. What we do know is that signal processing is more challenging with QLC than it is with TLC, as each cell needs to accurately determine sixteen different voltage profiles. The easiest way to handle this would be to increase the cell size: by having more electrons per logic level, it is easier to maintain the data and also read from it / write to it. However, the industry is also in a density race, where bits per mm^2 is an issue, therefore controllers with very advanced ECC capabilities have to be used. Toshiba has its own QSBC (Quadruple Swing-By Codes) error correction technique, which it claims to be superior to LDPC (low-density parity-check) that is widely used today for TLC-powered drives. However, there are many LDPC implementations and it is unknown which of them Toshiba used for comparison against its QSBC. Moreover, there are more ECC methods that are often discussed at various industrial events (such as FMS), so Toshiba could be using any or none of them. The only thing that the company tells about its ECC now is that it is stronger than 120 bits/1 KB used today for TLC. In any case, if Toshiba’s statement about 1000 P/E cycles for QLC is correct, it means that that the company knows how to solve both endurance and signal processing challenges.

>wanting more noise, heat, and power consumption

It's more than enough for personal data, especially in an array.

Jesus where were you when Toshiba (I mean OCZ) won the SSD race.

2 or 3 years ago I bought a 256GB SSD for $80. Now you can get a 512GB SSD for $80. If that trend continues, we should get 1TB SSDs in a couple of years.

>two 8 tb drives for media storage on a networked htpc
>a nvme ssd for OS and applications, one or two 1tb sata ssds for gamez

>hdd noise
Sometime I wonder, what a shitty case they have that can't even block the HDD noise.

Got a MX500 525GB for £63 on Amazon lightening sale

Feels good.

Attached: FB_IMG_1539490914756.jpg (632x796, 65K)

>Sometime I wonder, what a shitty case they have that can't even block the HDD noise.
No you don't.

Not even close. An ssd is thousand times faster when it comes to latency. Which is what gives you a SNAPPIER feel when doing Shit.

Maximum read write speed is like 10 times higher but this really doesn't matter that much.

The gap likely won't close. Super high capacity drives for enterprise still demand absolutely retarded pricetags on the SSD front. A year or two ago one of the top Samsung drives was $15,000.
SSDs surpassed mechanical storage in capacity, they're lower power, in terms of practical endurance they're superior to disks, they're still not going to be cheap enough to price spinning rust out of the market though.
Optane is a dead end tech so theres nothing yet challenging NAND either. Samsung has some new memory arch to eventually replace NAND, but they're sitting on it, no real need to bring it to market.

2TB and 4TB SSDs might eventually hit the $100-150 range. Unless you want highly suspect Chinese mystery drive we'll never see super cheap NAND.

>Simulate the sound of noisy delta fans during gaming to get the boomer feel.

Attached: 1539211291872.jpg (1200x1080, 104K)

>cheaper to make
do you really think they are making new hdd? they are simply trying to sell out entire stocks of old unsold hdd, that's why they are cheaper.

>100-150 P/E cycles
>you rewrite tour drive 100 times and it's kaput
>this passes as amazing tomorrow's tech

I also wonder about this. Used to be that when they started producing a new size (ie 250GB->500GB) they stopped producing the old size and all of the old aize were inventory.
But now 2-3TB drives have been around as the chepest for years. Do they still produce those? Or is the inventory like infinitely big?

Attached: 1458778718625.png (700x700, 362K)

kill yourself for starting this retarded a thread. go suck your dad's dick and then kill yourself for being this big a faggot.

based boomer

HDD is the way, like vinyls, feel the scrach

WD also makes land mines

>SSD - Boot/System/Programs
>HDD - Data

Fucking this. How hard is it to understand?
They're not interchangeable technologies. They have very different strengths.

Blah blah blah SSDs were 20 times more expensive 5 years ago and 100 times more expensive 10 years ago

They make platters. The smaller drives contain a single dense platter. Or fewer number of dense platters, whatever.

>consistently falling
They've only now returned to around 2015 prices.

I tried ssd after being so skeptical for so many years.

I.WILL.NEVER.GO.BACK

ssd is the fucking best. put your os and some games on it and thats it. keep a hdd for everything else.