He buys giant room-sized server racks

>he buys giant room-sized server racks
Who /minimalism/ here?

Attached: Minilab.jpg (1008x1344, 158K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vflPGqcXJkY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

can you post your cluster setup? I plan on doing this soon, this is what I'm going to mimic: youtube.com/watch?v=vflPGqcXJkY

That looks pretty sick man. Any Mikrotik stuff?

by setup I mean list of hardware on the right, and software used on pies used to cluster. os (raspbian?) and how it performs and what you use it for. right now I only have one raspberry pi3 online, but I have two model 3bs, and one original version b, which I want to make the original pi the "main" board to issue out orders and the two pi3s the workers. I don't really need to because pic related but thought it'd be fun.

Attached: Screenshot_JuiceSSH_20181013-224513_1.png (1440x1352, 402K)

As a background, I do "IT architecture" for a living (mainly around Office 365, The mini-rack itself was 3D-printed. Windows stuff) so my actual lab server not shown (see below on specs)

Ubiquiti equipment (not all shown):

USG 3P

US-8-60W x2

UAC-AC-PRO

UAC-AC-Mesh x2

UVC NVR (for the UVC-G3 camera I have, and soon to be UVC-G3-PRO I am going to add)

Raspberry Pi x3 (top to bottom):

Home Assistant (home-assistant.io)

PiHole (backup)

PiHole (primary)

Whitebox Server (not shown):

X99 Motherboard (MSI X99 Gaming Pro - z97 is the wrong chipset)

64GB DDR4 2600 RAM

x2 1TB Samsung SSD in RAID 0 off some LSI controller (PCI-E based)

x1 500GB something SSD to hold my templates / ISO files

Lab setups so far on the whitebox:

Exchange 2010 (DC/DNS VM + single Exchange 2010 VM)[used for reading Exchange 2010 logs and testing scripts / issue repro when possible]

Exchange 2013 (DC/DNS VM + single Exchange 2013 VM)[used for reading Exchange 2010 logs and testing scripts / issue repro when possible]

Exchange 2016 (VyOS, DC/DNS VM x2, Exchange 2016 VM x4, KEMP VLM-2000 x2)[POC for Exchange 2016 with cross site availability]

Office 365 (VyOS, KEMP VLM-2000 x2, x2 ADFS VM, x2 ADFS WAP VM, x1 Exchange 2016 VM, x1 Windows 7/Office 2010, x1 Windows 10 LTSB/Office 2016)[this is a POC environment, along with some testing when troubleshooting client issues]

Windows Environment (depends on what I am testing, but usually contains a few Windows Server 2016 or 2012R2 VM for testing various AD scenarios)

All Unifi

what exactly is the point of a tiny server

What's the three raspberries fof

oh so it's not actually a cluster but 3 separate devices for 3 separate use cases? besides the two piholes but backup seems to be still separate although same process. still neat, thanks for sharing. thanks home assistant thing is great, thanks for that.

>manlet builds a server

/tinytech/ is kino

Attached: Tiny bluetooth keyboard.jpg (4032x3024, 1.04M)

tiny serving

Attached: HD USB.jpg (500x500, 29K)

cute

Attached: 1537810935942.png (560x546, 104K)

what are those black stacking things called?

It's a 3-D printed rack.

Attached: GTX USB drive 4.jpg (3264x2448, 868K)

Pretty cool. Although I have mixed feelings about the pi cluster.

I´ll fuck that

Attached: Tinylaptop.jpg (516x917, 72K)

Why not just one server and virtual machines?

>no patch panel

Attached: 74346452535.jpg (505x897, 39K)

>he bought a unifi controller
>has like 3 pi
are you a retard?

That's a lot of hours of printing

>cuck key
Ha-ha

whats a really cheap wall mountable rack?

>not 3.5GB thumb drives

Attached: 1530167634198.jpg (585x464, 56K)

>tfw working on getting rid of shit
>slowly getting there

>tfw at the same time want a /noam/ office
as much as i love hoarding ebooks
i love hoarding real books more :/

>not using old smartphones to build a cluster
>uses raspberry pi
S O Y B O Y
O
Y
B
O
Y

I have a ton of books, but I don't think I'll be adding to them now that I have a kindle

>raspberry pi cluster
But why
You could get the same computing power out of one decent board, plus then you wouldn't need all the networking gear to hook them all up.

>power

>he buys giant room-sized server racks

is it okay if my rack is a tripplite 13u adjustable depth rack that goes under my desk to house my 17-20 inch servers and switches?

am i still minimalist?

See top device is a 80 dollar glorified pi.

>power
>running 3 devices plus extra networking gear uses less power than one device
I think you underestimate just how poor the processing power and i/o on a pi is.

How much processing power would you need for that pi anyway? I would only run something like email or IRC on it.

>How much processing power would you need for that pi anyway
If someone is running 3 of them, clearly they needed more processing power than is available on a single pi.

Pis are plenty for low-load email servers or IRC servers.

>RPIs instead of Rock64s

Unless you need storage, just get some virtual servers. They are cheap and will have way better connectivity than you home setup.

setting up a cloud key server on someone elses server?
and nearly every other home server use is going to be data

>63.5 GB

Not cute enough.

Attached: 1537813190428.webm (964x576, 2.37M)

>Unless you need storage
why do they not seem to offer VPSes with a bunch of storage, unless you're getting tons of CPU and RAM for a big pile of money along with it? Related to how all the VPS providers seem to be falling all over themselves to get rid of HDDs?

the cloud, man, like, use the cloud.

brave homosex warrior

>currently unavailable on amazon
>nothing on newegg
>sold out on fantasyusb
>out of stock on pchome
>nowhere on infothink's website
I'm quite dissatisfied.

i just see no reason why this could ever be useful, especially for the insane price this sort of setup costs

Attached: 3e3.jpg (488x516, 84K)

Raspberry Pis sure are expensive, but the experience you gain of building a cluster of computers can be scaled up to bigger machines.
Whether you use Pis or more powerful SBCs or full fledged PCs the software and configuration is all basically the same, even though the capabilities could be vastly different.

That's honestly super cute.
What does it.do?

yes, i suppose. ive bult clusters before. if this is a education project than i guess its ok. never the less i see quiet a lot of people using a few pis in their home server so question the reasoning

Where's the fun in that

>Raspberry Pis sure are expensive
Eh, you can get like 10 pi zeros for $50. Sure, they're dog slow, but you can still learn how to build clusters

yes but why. this is a waste opf money and cluser building isnt that difficult

>and cluser building isnt that difficult
It's not, but usually actually doing something once makes doing it a second time a whole lot faster/easier even if it isn't particularly difficult to begin with.

You can do it pretty cheaply, you can even tear it apart after and use them for different projects. It can just be part of your skill set.

i was just thinking that......[/hivemind]

Attached: 1539186341737.gif (400x326, 795K)