/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous thread:

Attached: 1470776397241.png (500x500, 127K)

Other urls found in this thread:

fglt.nl/?
tecmint.com/install-linux-os-on-usb-drive/
chuzzlewit.co.uk/utp_book-1.1.pdf
web.archive.org/web/20180910130033/http://home.windstream.net/kollar/utp/
box-look.org/p/1168444/
youtube.com/watch?v=UiM3ryRgp3U
mirrors.edge.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/Historic/old-versions/RELNOTES-0.01
mirrors.edge.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/Historic/old-versions/RELNOTES-0.12
blogs.gnome.org/aday/2018/10/09/farewell-application-menus/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Why are you linking to fglt.nl/? It is insecure.

The owner of fglt.nl has configured their website improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this website.

Moronic NPC webmaster cannot into Cloudlflare SSL. Dumb moron weeboo faggot.

Attached: xrEngine_2018_09_30_20_59_03_152.jpg (1920x1080, 1.42M)

there isn't a single novel cli application in the year 1984+34. prove me wrong

install CRUX

>what is interactive fiction

>Cloudlflare
Isnt that botnet?

finally I switched to gnu/linux on my dekstop too, I'm having only on problem.
is it safe to use hdparm to put my hdds to sleep? there's a big red warning on the arch wiki. I don't want to have them always on because they are noisy

So if you want your files to actually be written to a usb stick in linux you are supposed to do "sync" or select the "safely remove" option in file manager? Or am I doing something wrong?

Attached: image023.jpg (921x564, 183K)

Kubuntu seems a bit buggy ngl

What's the current state of proprietary Nvidia drivers for Pascal cards?

I've a laptop with an old Nvidia GPU and using the legacy drivers (304.xx) I never had an hiccup while both using Kubuntu and Arch, but I always read scary stories about broken drivers after kernel updates and stuff like that.

I created a bootable Debian usb (dd mode) and when I boot the live version I can't login, something something segmentation fault. What could be wrong? I can't find anything online other than "it might be permission issues" but I just created the bootable drive without doing anything weird?

What’s the point of gstreamer 0.10 rather than the modern version? Is it just for legacy programs?

Is there a simple on-screen volume notification for pulse? I have my media volume controls bound to the XF86 raise and lower via xbindkeys that run pulseaudio-ctl up and down at 5% increments

make a bash script that sends current volume to your notification manager

I installed libnotify but using notify-send, dosent bring up any sort of on screen display

are you using debian? notify-send comes in some other package

Arch, it comes in libnotify, and notify-send exists in /usr/bin.

do you have a notification daemon installed?

Had to install 'notify-osd' to interact with the XF86 framework, which pulseaudio-ctl already interacts with, if installed
Thanks.

hello im novice and trying to create a usb drive with linux as the os. i use this guide: tecmint.com/install-linux-os-on-usb-drive/ . i am having trouble in particular with the partition part while in linux installation. ive mounted my root to ext4 for the linux os, but i do not know where to mount the second fat32 partition? id like to do what the guide says of using the usb as a boot device and a flash drive.

Attached: IMG_20181014_101901.jpg (3072x1728, 1.52M)

You dont want your /home to be on fat32, fat32 does not support linux permissions and all your shit will be unusable when you boot in to the linux install.
>where to mount
You want to mount /dev/sdc5 to /home. It looks like its already mounted

what should i use other than fat32? there are lots of file systems i dont know of

ext4

Should I just use ubuntu if I want a more user-friendly version of debian?

Just swapped from LaTeX for my college essays to groff -mm, ask me anything.

just to be sure, ill be able to use it as a flash drive for other os's (like windows) on ext4 or am i wrong

What is the correct way to install steam? Flatpak, package manager or the .deb file directly from steam's website? Using Debian.

Not without installed software that enables windows to read ext*. But you can read the other partitions installed as ntfs/fat32 within windows.

Using your package manager.
Using your package manager is ALWAYS the only correct way to install software.

What guide did you use?

The ancient O'reilly book:
chuzzlewit.co.uk/utp_book-1.1.pdf

It's a great book because it covers the entire environment of text processing, including vi, ex scripts, awk, etc.

you dont need a seperate home partition if you want a partition that can be read by windows and linux jjust dont select a mount point and add it later manually to your fstab

ok thanks for the big help

Looks extensive, should be on the OP tbhfam.

>tfw when just started getting into GNU/Linux >next thing Linus is overthrown and the code of cuckdom instated

I guess I should feel happy I didn't waste more time on it

>fake news
Fuck off Windows telermarketer.

I remember reading somewhere that steam's libraries are different to the libraries that the package manager uses and can cause problems.

I dont believe debian does that. I think they just install steam and let it use the bunbled libs.
You would need to pass the STEAM_RUNTIME=1 variable to tell it to use system libraries.
Even on arch, the steam package just installs steam with bundled libs, even them steam refuses to use certain system libraries that are hard coded in to it despite passing the variable to use system libs

sure, or mint

It's a recreation of the original
web.archive.org/web/20180910130033/http://home.windstream.net/kollar/utp/
This is the source code of it.

I was under the impression that "amixer -q sset Master 5%+" would raise the volume by 5, but when I do the command the audio raises by everything but 5. Am I doing the command correctly?

Alright will just install Steam then using apt and adding i386 architecture, i guess i should probally also firejail it aswell

>all those scripts and complexity
If they just used LaTeX they needn't have bothered.

Just wondering, what's the proper kernel settings for gentoo in Virtualbox? I justt wanted to mess around with it lately, and everything worked well until sudo would not compile. IT said the CPU was missing one of the cryptographic instructions or something. Sorry, I don't have an exact error message because that was several weeks ago and I deleted the image by accident.

Linux?

huh? gentoo is a flavor of linux

Linux is a kernel.

Best anime theme for MATE?

box-look.org/p/1168444/

Do you guys watch news? I just found Destination Linux youtube.com/watch?v=UiM3ryRgp3U

>Moronic NPC webmaster cannot into Cloudlflare SSL. Dumb moron weeboo faggot.

$1 have been desposited to your cloudflare account, dumb moron shill.

Is anyone using cwm with 2+ monitors? Anything I should know to get it working properly?I'm liking cwm overall, but I'm having some issues getting it to recognize the sizes of each screen when trying to snap windows to an edge.

How to clean file system?

pacman -Rs removes the package and dependencies but there's still left over dot files and I'm sure a bunch of other shit if I dig deep.

LiNuX iS a KeRnEl

according to pacmans wiki page it will not remove anything from home folders.
Search for the program's name in etc and var, you should be able to find any other left folders.

LOOOONIX IS ONLY DUH COLONEL

>pacman -Rs
You might want to try -Rnsc if you're looking to purge everything related.
The -n should remove config files(i've never used this switch but pacman -h -R shows it as removing config files) and the 'c' will remove everything that ever depended on the main file and its dependencies and its dependencies etc

>go to Jow Forums
>stallman is a commie
>the gpl is communism
>go to kernel.org
>-You may not distibute this for a fee, not even "handling" costs.
>mirrors.edge.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/Historic/old-versions/RELNOTES-0.01
>The Linux copyright will change: I've had a couple of requests to make it compatible with the GNU copyleft, removing the "you may not distribute it for money" condition. I agree.
>mirrors.edge.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/Historic/old-versions/RELNOTES-0.12
>mfw the red pill kicks in

Attached: 1459331104923.jpg (227x222, 7K)

Free as in Free Market™

i heard gnome 3.30 had memory leaks fixed, but on my debian testing install I see no improvement after upgrading, even livecd has similar memory usage
did I miss something? or maybe debian is fucked, what's hot with latest gnome in it?
do i have to install fucking arch guys please no

made me look up the latest news about gnome
blogs.gnome.org/aday/2018/10/09/farewell-application-menus/
kek, the bar is completely useless now

to answer your question, dump gnome3

why archfags claim pacman is superior to other packet managers?

gtk will literally be bfto. This is the last straw

Is arch any good to use as a server os? i was thinking of running a fileserver on it with zfs and i like the option of having access to AUR packages

At least X wont break if you dont have it installed.

Attached: 1495312724343.png (1622x970, 359K)

xorg only breaks if you dont update your config file sweetie :)

>needing to touch xorg config is year of the lord, 2018
>needing to adjust it so hard if you don't do it, X won't start

the absolute fucking state of arch

Good riddance, along with the legacy menu bars off they go
menu bars always end up being an inconsistent, unusable pieces of shit that waste your time because brainlet developer can't make sense out of his own program

Dont use shitty amd cards and xorg works flawlessly with autodetect :)

This
>dont use this or that and is all good

Xorg works the exact same on every distro.
amd drivers are shit and you need 100 line configs

NVIDIA, even legacy branches have autodetect and you're done.

problem is now the top bar doesn't contain anything, might as well get rid of the application dock and put them where windows has them

GUIs were a mistake.

Attached: 545.jpg (700x609, 61K)

>application dock
why have it at all if you're concerned about screen space? it's the worst space waster, literally nothing but muh big pretty icons

As much as i hate GNOME i like the whole idea of hamburger menus because they can save screen real estate if done properly, but they should of copied macos and unity and had a integrated menu in the top bar.

>distrowatch says mx linux doesn't use systemd
>it does

Attached: 1428314880851.png (393x417, 138K)

Why tho?

how come linux device recognition system can be so retarded? what will happen if i have 2 usb storage devices, lets call them sdb and sdc and i will plug out sdb, will sdc become sdb now or is it only for boot time?
how the hell kernel can not name drives unambiguously based on their UUID?

menu bars are just five piles of garbage devs dump their "features" into

it's letsencrypt free ssl certs
they just forgot to renew them
which is fucking retarded because you can automatically do it, without ever having to intervene.

ls /dev/disk/by-uuid/
git gud at udev

Nah, they just got too bloated. That was the mistake.
They should just be nice and simple like FLTK or something.

Dumb nigga

installing debian on an x220t getting pic related
ive downloaded the missing files and placed them on a FAT formatted usb but it isn’t finding them
any suggestions?

Attached: 83A533AA-E72B-4375-8E94-C0845B4D3640.jpg (4032x3024, 3.82M)

Just download a non-free firmware iso or use ethernet

nice nonfree bloat

>Debian
>libre by default
>driver errors out the wazoo
>newcomers befuddled
Every fuckin' time.

You have the actual ucode files and not a .deb file? If you inserted it in a USB3 slot, you might try USB2 instead.

Started playing around with Wireshark, wondered why there was activity on USB, and saw all this nonsense. Unplugged all USB devices, no change, what is this shit?

Attached: 1532799332921.png (893x432, 106K)

Looks like your system suspends unused USB ports but sometimes re-enables them to see if anything changed.

Constantly, over and over? It's moving pretty fast, idk

Is it possible to set up a fan profile for the gpu? I want the card to passively cool when it's idle.

Do I have OCD?

>install distro
>install packages
>if I don't want it, instead of being a sane human being and deleting it, I have to start all over
>keep making steps forward, reinstalling distro sometimes 5-6 times a day
>get to a point where I got everything I want
>have to reinstall and get it all in a certain order now
>finally relax and get on Jow Forums
>setting up bookmarks
>maybe I should have installed browser first
>reinstall distro

Drives me fucking insane. I've done this on Windows too, it's not just a Linux thing. Same thing happens when I get an Android phone. Constantly organizing home screens and trying different ones out. So I got an iPhone which doesn't let you do pretty much anything.

What is the linux distro equivalent?

What's a good barebones minimal distro with TTY and networking that has a simple installer that auto detects drivers?

Debian doesn't. Arch doesn't unless I use a script. Tried Antix but I'm too dumb to setup partitions myself and EFI stuff

An influx of non resolvable domains just bombed my home server looking for favicon, in ico and png format.
I dont have a public facing index page nor a favicon. Is this a one off scan or something else?

Did you unzip the file?

>Arch doesn't unless I use a script.
Since you have internet outside of the machine, why dont you gather the required drivers from the main repo's or aur and put them on the install media and install them using pacman after you do the initial setup and then chroot in to the install and install them?

Well you definitely have some kind of problem.

You would probably really like NixOS or GuixSD though. They are "declarative" systems. Everything is declared in a programmatic way inside config files. There is no order to worry about and everything is guaranteed reproducible.
E.g. a 5yr old installation is identical to a brand new one with the same config.

So there should never be a need for you to reinstall the whole thing no matter how bad your OCD is. The only thing to obsess over is making a nice pretty config or running garbage collections after a system update.

yeah theyre the .ucode files
yup, usb has only the intel folder and a bunch of ucode files incl the 2 missing in the pic
still havent had any luck, difficult to find anything helpful online

I moved the zip to my USB and did extract here. Plugged it in and it worked.