If Linux is so good how come everyone is using Windows

If Linux is so good how come everyone is using Windows

Attached: os_market_share_january_2017-1024x669.png (1024x669, 50K)

Other urls found in this thread:

techrights.org/2016/02/15/microsoft-bribing-officials/
mspoweruser.com/microsoft-accused-of-bribery-in-hungary/
dailynewshungary.com/american-microsoft-abandoning-hungary-corruption/
valuewalk.com/2017/06/microsoft-bribing-uk-use-bing/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

If being rich is so great how come everyone is poor

If instant messenging is so good how come boomers at my company still use email for internal company communication

Attached: slack.jpg (474x428, 16K)

if taxi driver is one of the best movies ever made how come everybody just watches the avengers

checkmate

Turns out support is a big deal in muh enterprise environments.

That's just desktop market share.
And Windows comes pre-installed on almost every desktop, especially on every average office shitbox hundreds of million of people spend all day punching numbers into spreads sheets and checking emails on.
That's why people use it.
In the mobile, server and specialty/super computer world they aren't doing so good.

It's hard to make a transition from windows when you're already settled in there.
You know what would make it easier? Make it so that people could install linux without losing access to their windows install, which could be accessed in a vm from linux. This is non-trivial, you need to shrink NTFS partition, make linux installer somehow not fuck up everything and install in free space that's been prepared, make a boot entry for windows but also preconfigure a virtual machine which would launch from the windows partition.
Sounds swell, but I'm not sure about several things:
Are linux tools able to shrink NTFS partition without fucking it up? I'm never sure it could, and I don't think it can defrag a partition so that you could resize more. It'd be safer to run that in Windows, but going into Disk Manager at all is already too complicated and fuckup-prone for a layman. Perhaps you'd need an utility that would prepare the disk, in addition to dowloading a distro and writing it to a usb stick. Sure, sure, you can already do that with a handful of programs, but that's the thing, there's a dozen fucking programs and those things aren't connecting in the user's mind.
Will Windows run from a physical hard disk in a VM, on Linux? I know it will, but how severe are drawbacks? How does it deal with being booted in a VM and directly, and switching back and forth between those?
Also, wubi already did this, but it's discontinued. Also, try convincing someone that having a ubuntu app on their windows 10 isn't the same thing as having a full install, or dual boot, or a windows vm on a linux system.

if a company were to force this thing onto me i'd ask them for an extra ram stick too

also also grub UI is shit
i know this sounds like everything Jow Forums hates in modern software, but it should have bigger text, more space for it to breathe and be readable and comprehensible, autodetected OS icons, and BIG BUTTONS that say WINDOWS and DISTRO, and no countdown. otherwise, you're either getting 'i'm never booting into linux because it just boots into windows' (never happens because grub) or 'i can't boot into muh dindows' because they don't know how and just let shit happen on their computer. You have to basically force people to make a choice, and make text as short and clear as possible.
Windows does it right, literally copy this

Attached: W10-Safe-Mode-02-Safe-Restore-02-136400829129602601.jpg (616x444, 64K)

I think I unironically prefer downloading programs as separate installers/binaries over having to use package managers with repos.

I always feel slightly constrained and annoyed when I'm using linux and the easiest way to get a program is to first install another repo and then downloading it, or building it from source or whatever.

The windows way and the unix way both have their merits I guess.

Linux has.....

A steeper learning curve
weaker driver support
terrible audio support
the illusion of more security
the inability to play certain games even with WINE and playonlinux

Windows has....

the ability to use most things out of the box
superb driver support
all the applications and games you could want
knowledge of everything you do on your computer and sends it to microsoft or the nsa
been a great operating system prior to the release of Windows 10

>been a great operating system prior to the release of Windows 10
Some parts are getting better and better IMO. I like the new task manager (coming from win7) and the start menu search function is pretty nice since the latest OS update (the one that trashed some peoples files lel).

No, it's not about that. That is already possible (but you use win tools for shrinking). The thing is that 99% of people don't care how computers work and you do need to learn basics to use Linux (or have an admin that will maintain your system).

GNU/Linux is a system made by programmers for programmers and it won't change because there is no point to make a system for somebody else for free.

>superb driver support

Especially for touchpads, thank you synaptic...

>been a great operating system prior to the release of $CURRENT Windows

Said every after every new windows release.

Baby duck syndrome. Mac is at 6% ONLY because of US and Apple's school contracts, they know what's up. In any other part of the world it's close to 0, for example. Teach kids to use RHEL and they'll use it for life.

>Windows has....
>superb driver support
Fuck you. My network card driver lags my whole system because fuckwits from realtek won't fix it and I can't fix it myself because no source.

rEFInd gotcha pretty much covered

>>been a great operating system prior to the release of $CURRENT Windows

Windows 10 has been pretty crummy so far
>forced security "updates" that have bricked systems and scrubbed personal user files from several people's computers
>yucky UI
Windows 7 has been the last excellent Windows OS. Windows 8 marked the beginning of the end and you know it.

Well shilled rasheed!

They shouldn't have to learn. That's the thing with adoption that programmers don't understand, or perhaps don't want to because they're too smart and in a secret club.
>boo hoo no one wants to use lineksss
Like, even writing a step by step tutorial for installing wouldn't really help the masses. One click solutions, an open source program that would do all that shit and maybe tell them about what it's doing, if they really ask it to. Even the popular distros don't get it. Downloading an iso file? What the fuck is that? Do I need a CD? No, no, no. Those guys need to get a reality check about usability. Fucking ubuntu doesn't prominently feature it's desktop version on it's fucking front page. Ways to switch are not in the front. Fucking tutorials instead of a single program that would download and write the image, which they'd need to get somewhere anyway. It's better to point people directly to something like unetbootin instead of making them go through that nonsense. This is why it's 2%.
Yeah, it's very pretty. Too bad it's not a default or an option in most distros. It should be a default if it's gonna be there at all, picking between grub and refind wouldn't make any sense to most.

>If Linux is so good how come everyone is using Windows
How do you bribe hardware manufacturers if your business model isn't the same as the one Microsoft has?
techrights.org/2016/02/15/microsoft-bribing-officials/
mspoweruser.com/microsoft-accused-of-bribery-in-hungary/
dailynewshungary.com/american-microsoft-abandoning-hungary-corruption/
valuewalk.com/2017/06/microsoft-bribing-uk-use-bing/
What options does a donation based approach have?

Mechanical Engineer here

Because all the 3D CAD/CAM software only runs on windows.

>They shouldn't have to learn.
No one is born with the knowledge how to use computers. Everyone has to learn it. That's true for any OS, Windows isn't any better in it.

>Those guys need to get a reality check about usability
It's easier to install Linux these days than it was to install Windows back in the 90s, yet people still managed to do that just fine. Without being able to google if they had any problems.

Why? Are Sys admins really that stupid? Can't they just find a fix on the Ubuntu forums or something?

Even if there are one million flies swarming a piece of shit. It's still a piece of shit.

fpbp

J.P. Morgan Chase uses Lync internally, for all employees.

Slack is an abomination. You're retarded if you actually think that steaming pile of shit is useful.

>OS made by top tier software engineers that just works for hundreds of millions and has wide support

vs

>OS 'distros' made by people who couldn't get hired by top companies and now create meaningless derivations of code on GitHub and still can't get basic functionality right

it's not really hard to understand why Windows is more successful, the people who work on Linux distros are inferior engineers thus deliver an inferior product.

>what is rhel
>what is sle

>it is good because many people use it

Attached: 1529595875529.jpg (411x358, 16K)

I'm a tech savy non-programmer and I tried Linux several times since I was 12 I received a copy of Ubuntu from Canonical when they sended those Live CDs from South Africa, every time I tried it it was overly complicated, cumbersome, and eventually broke.

Only exception is the Rasbperry pi, but my regular computer? I'm tired of trying already.

if be integligent is so gr8 den how cum every1 is stoopid?!?!?! ahauahuahauahauaha

Attached: 1527601860253.png (230x219, 7K)

>babby's first argumentum ad populum

Attached: 1538751155364.jpg (250x238, 8K)

Epic post xDDD

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.
There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

>If instant messenging is so good how come boomers at my company still use email for internal company communication

Because email is not real-time. There's no expectation that I drop everything I'm working on now and answer right NOW. I can get to it when I have time to pause.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 42K)

If machetes are so good, how come everyone use kitchen knifes?

Windows is more convenient with more things working out of the box, thats it.

Can't be said for Windows 10, even by user's own admission.

>Are Sys admins really that stupid?
Yes. Like any other job field, systems administration is full of fucking memes and piss poor/outdated practices. There's practically no reason not to be using Linux these days. Ubuntu and Red Hat offer excellent support and very good products. Laugh if you want,but Microsoft has really dropped the ball in terms of quality these past few years. We've had nothing but problems with every update this year. It's pretty pathetic when my personal Arch computer is more reliable than a so-called enterprise system.

>There's practically no reason not to be using Linux these days.
lol

If money is so great, why do only 1% own it all?

Because most people aren't very good either

Linux is just a kernel. It us used in operating systems such as GNU and Android.

What practical reason is there not to use Linux?

This actually doesn't look too bad. Why aren't more distros using this?

Attached: regular__refind__theme_by_munlik-d8gvwo8.png (720x520, 21K)

Because they're poor, ugly, useless, and stupid. You can do things with Linux; you get things done for with Windows. Windows/Mac users are just resources to harvest, they are slaves, using a slave's operating system.

if Windows 10 is so good how come everyone is still using 7 and 8.1?

oh wow, another garbage thread by windows (((evangelists)))
FUCKING DO YOUR JOB JANNY

they aren't

Attached: StatCounter-windows_version-ww-monthly-201709-201809.png (1280x720, 115K)

>8.1
Are you kidding me?

Nobody is fucking using 8.1. It's a good OS for a Windows but brainlets can't figure out how to install ClassicShell and so they just don't use it.

Emails are better for relaying detailed information and can be responded too much more slowly.

If it is something worth having a conversation about I would just walk over to them.

because that was in 2017.
Guess which year we have now.

You lost me at windows 7 being excellent.

Revit

only brainlets found the start screen a problem in the first place.

You don't need classic shell when you just hit the windows key and start typing to find your software.

what's amazing is that the autists on here like you will scream and shout about brainlets, whilst literally clicking through the start menu. lmao at your life.

mac and Linux is really the same thing ones just a skin and costs money. I have 125iq that's top 5% of people makes sense only 5% of us use superior software.

>I have 125iq that's top 5% of people makes sense only 5% of us use superior software.
Looks like a minimum IQ of 126 is required to construct coherent sentences.

This. I still have people say "hello" and "are you there?" and actually wait for a fucking reply before saying what they want in both instant messaging and text messaging.
They get ignored until they say it or email me.

I'll switch to Linux when I can play Forza Horizon on Linux.

The new start screen heavily affected the performance in Win7, specially in shitty old PCs with 2Gb of RAM.

How to put refind on mac?

I did a IQ test online and got 130. Also, you're a brainlet.

The answer is literally that Windows simply comes with any non-apple computer that you buy. Normies doesn't care enough to install something else as long as it works good enough for them

Most people aren't running their own servers or programming for servers. GNU/Linux has a high market share for these use cases. For general office work/shitposting/gayming it's better to use Windows.

I pity them

If beeing smart is good how come OP is a retard?

Um sorry sweetie

Attached: Screenshot_2018-10-14_17-11-55.png (911x595, 63K)

your graph proves it, how the fuck are people using Windows XP on old machines instead of installing Ubuntu or some light with distro, reason is simple, Linux requires higher IQ

>Linux requires higher IQ
Then who are all these Linux fanbois?
Not Linux users by your metric.
Do they just shill for Linux?
Is the IQ requirement the real reason for the low market penetration?
Why can't the Linux sellers make a system for everybody rather than for self-styled elitists.
Dnning-Kruger.

>specially in shitty old PCs with 2Gb of RAM

So....
>have minimum specs for OS to run
>expect high performance.

right. ok then.

>'other' still higher than linux

lmao btfo by BSD and other random shit.

Normies

>also also

Because there's a lot of luck involved and having a network of friends helps immensely.

Your post is retarded and doesn't make sense. Linux is free and people still don't download it.

it comes pre-installed, most people don't know any better

Fucking Realtek crab sons of bitches.
This is why we need that crab gutting machine.

Nice false equivalence fren

Attached: 1539310451530.jpg (436x361, 40K)

So I booted my computer with Wangblows 7, forgot about it, and just came back hours later to turn it off. I counted to 29 before it managed to shut down. I've got Windows update disabled from the start, and I have no bullshit running in the background. Explain to me what this excellent OS was doing instead of turning the computer off?
When Proton gains maturity and adoption from game devs, I'm ditching Windows again. Not sure what I was thinking to come back. DXVK is beastly.

Thank you. I hate that bullshit but couldnt figure out if I was the autistic one.

Attached: images (9).jpg (244x207, 5K)

>being this delusional

If McDonalds is so bad for you, why have they served billions and billions

>mac and Linux is really the same thing
Except it's not at all the same thing,

This is the correct equivalence

The "elite" fall short of the mark, Windows is a pile of shit.

I think a better argument would be that paid engineers have a better motivation to ship something polished. Quality control in Linux suffers especially when the Engineer is working on it in his free time.

Also, I agree there's a lot of shit kiddies who can't get basic shit right on GitHub but even Microsoft is moving more towards the OSS stuff. I think there's more of a future in it than you think

>Why can't the Linux sellers make a system for everybody rather than for self-styled elitists.
>Dnning-Kruger.
why would a high IQ group even bother trying to make something for sheep if they can use windows?

People that can't figure out what an iso file is or how to use Rufus shouldn't be using computers at all.

OP is literally an appeal to popularity

>If Linux is so good
It isn't.

Attached: 1516882175397.png (1050x768, 102K)

Cause linux cant play league.

I wonder how many linux powered devices were hit between you posting and me replying

They aren't smart enough to install it or use it.

That graph is wrong
Nearly all commercial servers run on Linux or "other", and for each of them there's an unmaintained XP frontend

You do know that even if you're using windows, you're also using Linux if you ever use the internet. Most of the worlds servers run Linux.

>league
get with the times gramps

Attached: dance of my people.gif (931x682, 426K)

>market share
Linux is free so technically it wouldn't have a market share.

Fucking triggered every time.

Because it comes pre-installed. That's the only reason why.