/ag/&/am/: audio general & audiophile memes

Newb, why Edition

Attached: Home-Stereo-System-820x461.jpg (820x461, 31K)

Other urls found in this thread:

sonos.com/en/shop/connect.html
bowerswilkins.com/home-audio/705-s2
roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Prior thread:

Attached: DALI-OBERON-1-3.jpg (1280x863, 682K)

regarding RTi A3:
its not different from the prior models which can be found used for 5 to 40 dollars a pair

First for horn efficiency

Attached: 20180518_124734_HDR.jpg (1425x802, 189K)

still thinking about my budget home theater options
I have that expensive as fuck receiver there because I want forward compatibility. I definitely want 4kHDR passthrough and atmos someday, but I don't know how soon I really do. I'm thinking about not getting a full fat receiver now, but that means I'd have to get either a cheaper one or an amp that can do 3.1 audio. I don't want to just go 2.1 even if it's be an upgrade; I'm really trying to shoot for 3.1.
thoughts?

Attached: file.png (1021x738, 154K)

>$300
>expensive as fuck

My power/pre amp setup alone is $5200 user. 300 on an AVR is chump change

I'm saying it's expensive because it costs as mush as the other 4 speakers combined.

Do you know if I can find a decent 2.1 DAC/AMP that will accept an optical input for near $99? That way my TV/xbox could output to the DAC/AMP and I'd have more money for nicer speakers like JBL or ELAC

You can always find used somewhere. I will always suggest you start used especially if you aren't spending high dollar amounts on speakers to begin with (and they aren't high sensitivity horns). Shouldn't be too hard I imagine if you only need optical in

Poorfags will never know the joy that we do.

If I were you, I'd build a solid 2.0 or 2.1 first, then go from there. If budget is a concern, then patience is your friend. You shouldn't settle; just because you COULD have it now, doesn't mean that you SHOULD.

sup

sold the klipsch today for a nice price.

dali zensor 3 still going strong but getting further issues with them the more i listen to them

Attached: WhatsApp Image 2018-09-26 at 23.42.13.jpg (1600x1200, 209K)

I think those Micca's would work for rears, but I'd recommend getting some HTM-200s from Ascend for the LCRs. The subwoofer I think you need to spend more on too, maybe the Dayton.

I agree with the other user, maybe start with 2.1 and then build as budget allows.

Receivers take a look at what Accessories4less offers if you are in the US.

Attached: 1521794151185.jpg (800x800, 55K)

BRRRRRRRRMMMMMMMMM

Attached: YNhz9Li.jpg (5952x3348, 2.42M)

why do they have like 17-19 amplifiers and 3 controller units?

do they tune each one to part of the frequency or some thing?

Can't tell if it's a 3 or 5 piece unit but I'm guessing each horn has its own mono block amp

Thanks a lot! Sadly I was able to find only the new sony for 800€
What is "this class" though? What is the feature i should look for? Is it even written in the manuals if i can do that mixing of active and passive speakers?

How can I improve the audio quality on my stream? Http://makemusiconline.net:8080

Attached: 20180929_105706.jpg (4032x3024, 3.68M)

More kbps and start with top quality files

do you have amazon or ebay in your country

What do audiophiles recommend for a portable music player?

Depends on your budget and needs (power, battery, storage, EQ, will you use an external amp?, etc). For entry-level, the meme of the year is the Shanling M0

sansa clip+
I paid $60 for mine and unfortunately I left it sitting for too long, leaving the battery to die

Any suggestions for a good pre-amplifier?

Was thinking of this: sonos.com/en/shop/connect.html

Anyone know how the sound quality is? I'm thinking of background noise when playing lossless and you turn up the volume.

What amp

need more info about your existing system, i.e., amp, speakers, phones, peripherals, room etc

What is the bare minimum of acceptable bookshelf speaker stands? Is there a commonly recommended cheap pair that satisfy the "eh, good enough" niche?

Buying a new system.

How about this: what amp, speakers (just need two for stereo) and subwoofer would you recommend? Along with a pre-amp that can connect wireless to PC for convenience, otherwise with optical.
>primary purpose is for music, but will also be used for TV.
>living room is square, 7 metres long and 5 wide. Speakers will be placed on both sides of TV at one end.
>budget is between 2 and 3,000 eur
>won't be using headphones because i'm not a faggot

If it's too much, then meh, but if you have a standard setup that works pretty well then I can use that as a guideline.

The Walkman line is excellent. A15/A25 are both excellent and reasonably priced.

Actually, my living room is closer to 9 by 7 metres.

Hey guys. These are free. Any good? What should i do with these?

Attached: Screenshot_20181014-202758__01.jpg (633x669, 68K)

is your preference wireless speakers

No, they can be wired, since that won't be a problem. Just need wireless for connecting, you know, when friends come over and want to connect Spotify/Google Play Music, etc.

For example, I was looking at these speakers:

bowerswilkins.com/home-audio/705-s2

A friend of mine has the 600 series, which are pretty good.

I said my budget was 2-3k eur, but actually more like 4k, max 5k eur.

Thanks, I'm going to go with this then. I'm no serious audiophile, but I want my main 2.0 setup to be worth keeping for a while. Thanks for the advice. Would the elac b5 be an upgrade from the jbl arena though?

Attached: Screenshot_20181014_205346.jpg (1080x1202, 163K)

>Would the elac b5 be an upgrade from the jbl arena though?
yes but that comes later when you have the money and you know you want to upgrade. then you can use the Arenas as your rear channels

Attached: ELAC_B5_Grill_Measurement.jpg (1265x634, 55K)

>sansa clip+
user said audiophile not Jow Forums meme players

it's cheap and sounds great for its value, and with rockbox you can make better use of it.

a phone works perfectly fine

Maybe he's one of those autists who uses a pay phone to stay off the grid?

Good idea. I actually could spend way more now, it's because I'm asking for this shit for Christmas.
This is my final list; I'll probably get the onkyo receiver + center channel +sub down the line

Attached: Screenshot_20181014_211700.jpg (1080x1139, 162K)

if you're spending that much, you're better off going to an audio salon

So I don't now shit about audio stuff but bear with me.

My plan is to have a setup where I can switch between headphones and speakers without messing with settings by plugging/unplugging the headphone aux cord from the amp. I'm assuming the best way to do this is get a headphone amp, I have a Topping D30+A30, then have active speakers that connect to the amp via the line out. Is this right?

Parasound A52+
Marantz 7704

Bumpin

How the fuck can anyone really know? It just says Pioneer speakers, no model number. They are certainly worth what you paid for them or more. Get them and see if they work and if you like them. If not toss them in the trash.

see if you can post a better resolution pic thats not sideways

Best i .

Attached: 68849496~01.jpg (450x600, 55K)

Got*

Any recommendations for a good pre-amp/dac/headphone amp combo?
Looking to use it to volume control a pair of powered speakers.

why the fuck were there so many CD changers made in the late 80s

Attached: 1504254412321.png (400x400, 64K)

Meh, I guess.

these are likely from the past 15 years because of the grille style

they may be similar to the S-Z83D

Attached: S-Z83D.jpg (570x376, 35K)

>paying full salon price
Fuck that noise. Buy used or B-stock from dealer save mad dosh

Hi welcome

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-10-08 at 12.17.19 AM.png (1401x1050, 2.28M)

>Buying used
>Buying damaged products
No thanks, I'm not a poor nigger like you

>B-stock
>anything more than extreme superficial imperfections

Attached: 1367201613349.jpg (614x768, 216K)

Why you need pre-amp at all?

Actually scratch that, the amp in that thing only outputs 30w per channel. Fuck that. I updated this with a dedicated DAC for my optical input and this amp is a 2.1 allowing me to get a subwoofer as well. Thanks for the tips, guys.

Forgot pic

Attached: Screenshot_20181015_002524.jpg (1080x1718, 248K)

>NS-10s in the proper positioning format
Feels good man. Why has nobody else figured out the secret magic of the outside high tweeter? It makes the most perfect stereo field even in subpar rooms. Why has no speaker matched these in all these years and even Yamaha doesnt make them like this anymore?

What amp are you using on yours bro? I gotta know.

NS-10s weren't known for being good sounding speakers, they were known for being good for making mixes that translated well to consumer gear. If you could make it sound good on NS-10s, it would probably sound good on everything.

I know I'm a producer that's why I love them

I run them with the Yamaha P-2200. It was Yamaha's first powered amp, from 1976. Some say it was made to go hand in hand with the NS-10s. Found it at a garage sale

>found it at a garage sale
Dude nice, do you remember how much?

Attached: 1538000236250.jpg (896x1024, 184K)

suggestions for max $1500 speakers? I have a yamaha as500 amplifier powering some old refoamed cerwin vega vs120s right now but I have no idea what I could get / what's good at this price range

Attached: 1527977760450.jpg (1024x831, 104K)

Amp choice impacts the NS-10s so much too. Chris Lord Alge still using them too man. Amazing.

If you need speaker wire read this first...

roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

Attached: speakerwirechart.jpg (679x386, 151K)

got it for around $250 or so. But left channel got noise after a while, it was used in a touring rack. I got it serviced, and he replaced what he could and fixed up what wasn't made anymore. Sounds pretty clean now. It's fanless so super quiet. Great for studio work. Has a nice heavy on/off switch. Very satisfying. Love the old school meters. I payed him $350 for the service. This in all in CAD by the way.

Attached: Speaker_YamahaP2200_Med_3.jpg (800x600, 68K)

Not him but I own JBL LSR6328p s with matching subs and NS-10s (with a Furman forget which model) and I've come to prefer the NS-10s in a lot of ways. They can be so hard to find though sadly, nobody wants to give theirs up!

That horizontal design seems to create a killer accurate stereo field in mixing, in my humble opinion. Better for music than movies/spoken word though.

My recommendations would be in order from best at top would be:

Genelec 8030C
Neuman KH120
Mackie HR 824 - The old versions, look on kijiji
KRK Series 4 - 6"

I'd go into a store and have a listen to some tracks you are familiar with, Go with what sounds best to you. A lot of shops will allow you to take home a pair of monitors for either a rental fee or a down payment. It's important to see how they react in your room as well.

>Mackie HR 824
no way! I work for mackie and have a discount lol

Really? Tell me more about Mackie. I think you guys make pretty good small format mixers. More pricy, but i do think the build quality is there. I also like your Onyx pres.

Is there any funny shit that just goes on a daily basis?

What products do you genuinely think Mackie makes good?

I havent had a chance to look at the speaker lines too much, sorry. Trust me when I say, the mixers I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole.

Very interesting.

I've been warned about staying away from all new Mackies speakers. But the old first gen HR 824 made in USA were pretty decent.

I appreciate you giving me a list of speakers to look at. I only recently started working there, but a lot has been going on. Re-investment in the company, moving a lot of manufacturing to china, etc. Specifically on the mixers, the company has been going through the growing pains of working with the chinese, aka broken parts, people suggesting family members supply the wifi modules, etc. On the other hand, Loud Audio has dropped many of it's child brands meaning the focus for the company will be exclusively on the Mackie brand. I would keep an eye on the company, definitely.

i havent even listened to their hardware much lol

That's a much better list than what you started with, but there's more left on the table.
That TPA3116 is also 30W with an 8ohm load, and that is a damn expensive version.
If you're going with JBL arenas, why not go for the active version, JBL 305P? The sound is significantly better, and the amp's already built in. They'll be much better for theater AND stereo listening.
That'd only push your budget up by $23.

Seems like there have been such a large variety of products coming out recently. The Axis system, now all these monitors. Recording interfaces. At one point Mackie made a friggin line array. Now Mackie makes Dis and cable testers too? Hard to tell where their focus is going. Interesting where this dedication from Loud will lead to.