On Automation and Jobs

>your job
>do you like it?
>are there any risks of it being automated/losing it due to technology advancements?

I've been reading a lot about that issue and I want some new viewpoints. So, do you think you're being replaced anytime soon?

Attached: robot-arm-intelligent-used-modern-factory-automated-assembly-line-80653316.jpg (800x534, 99K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MgowR4pq3e8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Bump.

>your job
pharmacist.

>do you like it?
it's a decent living.

>risks of it being automated
most of what I do could be automated, but if the machine fails at handling an unforeseen (maybe even unforeseeable) exception people might easily be harmed. my qualifications give me the very exclusive right to dispense medications and automation will for the foreseeable future only come in the form of assistance systems. I doubt there will be many jobs left by the time my job gets fully automated.

>I doubt there will be many jobs left by the time my job gets fully automated
Damn. You think it could happen by the decade?

>your job
Aeronautic engineer

>do you like it?
I like planes and stuff so yeah. Also it pays well enouth.

Nope, innovation will always be done by humans, at least for this century

>>your job
maintenance guy in a factory
>>do you like it?
yeah
>>are there any risks of it being automated/losing it due to technology advancements?
no because I'm the guy who programs, maintains, and fixes robots

How hard is to get a degree on that? Also, how's the market?

>your job
Fiber Optic Tech

>do you like it?
Yup

>are there any risks of it being automated/losing it due to technology advancements?

Never. Im the guy that brings fiber from the isp to anywhere the customer is located and most likely these robots will need fiber.

I operate 3 robotic cells, we have a shortage of operators actually.

youtube.com/watch?v=MgowR4pq3e8
Alphago Zero already invented tactics of Go that thousands of years of human mind couldn't. Isn't it feasable to think they'll just think of a lot of ways they can do such jobs a lot faster than expected?

>job
projectionist
>like
yes
>risk of getting it automatized
It is already automatized in multiplex cinemas in the west.
At my workplace it won't get it anytime soon because the management won't update the legacy systems preventing the full auto operation. We also have various film events which require technical personnel.

>your job
System Engineer
>do you like it?
Yes
No, not really. Thinking for our customers and preventing them to make stupid mistakes is these days a huge part of my job and that can't be automated.

Somebody had to tell it to invent those tactics though.
It's basically a statistical machine that has to be told the rules and heuristics it should follow. It's power comes from the fact that it can handle a massive amount of data.

>computational design engineer
don't ask me what I do.
>do you like it
yep - literally made it up out of my personal hobbies and now someone pays me to do it full time
>risks of being automated
lmao who knows

How easy is it to take some prescription meds home?

>your job
cloud automation engineer

>do you like it?
yes, it's fun setting up new systems with minimal human interaction

maybe, but but not anytime soon or near future since it still takes a lot of human input to set up the automated systems.

But what do you do?

You'll be replaced by a desktop running intuitive design software after your boss makes you train it.

not until they can automate CNC machining on 300+ skus with 20 different tools each with a different setup for less than 38k a year.

no idea.

That's why it can't be automated ;)

>data analyst
>its okay
>you could write a script and automate my job

so.... 3 years?

>NEET
>Yes
>No

Bump.

>job
Ticket writing for the campus parking
>do you like it
Not really, but it pays for school
>any risk of it being automated
Not any time soon. We do more than just ticket people's cars.

>your job
Sysadmin, sys arch, automation engineer and dev
>do you like it?
Fuck yeah
I love the idea of self writing code. Neat.

>Powerplant Operator
>Really fun, like it a lot
>Majority of plantwide systems are integrated to Matrix-style Digital Control System for us to monitor all aspects and modulate appropriately. However, due to the uncertainty involved in industrial applications (machines randomly shitting the bed, 4160v breakers exploding, water pipes rupturing...) full automation is highly unlikely. Some plants that run combustion turbines or internal combustion engines, for example, are so automated that only a few people are required to work there for maintenance purposes. Coal burners, on the other hand, are fickle and need much more intuitive human interaction that deters full automation.

>>Job
Audio mix engineer (live)

>>Do you like it?
Yes. Never the same day twice

>>Are there any risks of it being automated/losing it due to technology advancements?
I don't think so, a machine can't react fast enough to unforeseen live circumstances. Plus, who would have the money to automate theatre and concerts anyway? A lot of other jobs would get it first before it moves on to me

soon to become electrician
is my future career is safe because of >union?

I work in CNC machining. CNC stands for Computer Numerical Control. So it's a computer that programs the movements of the machines to make a part with minimal input after the operator pushes go.
Well that was the goal of CNC anyway,s which has been around for a few decades yet CNC machines always need an operator, even with a proven program. Things can go wrong. It needs maintenence and upkeep. I Have yet to see a "Automated" process that doesnt need human oversight for extended periods of time and furthermore, despite the existance of CNC, manual machines still exist in abundance

>your job
AI researcher
>do you like it?
yeah
?

Asking here before tring my luck at Jow Forums (I'm intentionally avoiding Jow Forums, due to how different it is from the rest of Jow Forums like /soc/).

I've always wanted to be a medic. It's something that I like and clicks all buttons in me. However, everywhere I search there's a big number that says ''80% OF JOBS WILL BE AUTOMATED'', ''MEDICAL SURGEONS'', ''MEDICS WILL BE REPLACED'', ''MEDICS WILL DISAPPEAR''. Are the 8 years worth it? Will I even find jobs after such period? Aiming for Psych/Neuro.

Attached: 1500141688040.jpg (1250x1126, 479K)

I'm majoring in Automation Engineering so don't really know.

>inb4 automatize automation

chemical engineer
plants are already heavily automated

>code ninja
>hai
>iie

>software developer
>it's ok, but it's slowly going to shit
>They sure tried the last 5 decades and rebound effect caused that more devs were required than before. The hard part however is understanding the domain, so it'll likely be the last job to be replaced.

>Lead software developer from a startup
>I live in constant stress from the CEO wanting shit fast / Changing the product focus every fucking 6 months and Managing the programmers to do shit and not slack off
>we are the ones that automate shit, so no.

Sometimes i wish i could just change to a more comfy job, where i do some fucking corrections and call it a day.