/spg/ - Smartphone General

POTY 2018 Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good Resources:
>Reviews, Specs, Comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency Checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com
kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual Phone Size Comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Post a Mini-Review of your Smartphone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Previous thread

Attached: pixel-3-hero-revise.jpg (1280x720, 37K)

Other urls found in this thread:

metropcs.com/iPhoneSEOnUs.html
slickdeals.net/f/12122404-simple-mobile-tracfone-net10-smartphones-w-30-day-airtime-purchase-40-off-free-s-h
youtu.be/VFgHoxmrhfk
youtube.com/watch?v=AKZeBtPC2x4
forum.xda-developers.com/v20/development/mod-adreno-vulkan-drivers-snapdragon-t3681901
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

wtf is that toothpaste green on the white on

im looking for a phone that i can just talk/text/browse the internet on, i dont care about games or whatever, im a hermit who just needs talk/text and to be able to read shit while im shitting

Country/carrier?

UGLIEST PHONE OF THE DECADE. WHAT THE FUCK IS GOOGLE DOING??

US, no real preference they're all pretty good signal/speeds in my area ive heard

I like it

Just get one of the Moto E5 or G6 series phones, you can get them for $100-200 depending on what carrier you end up going with.

when do you decide it's the right time to upgrade? and what do you do with your old phone.

is it worth it to just get a g6 unlocked then?

the oneplus one of our generation

Attached: pcp.jpg (1280x720, 86K)

which phones are best to root?

Huawei P20 Pro worth it for £380?

you can't unlock the bootloader and huawei roms are trash.

other than that they're decent phones.

Essential and OnePlus from what I've heard.

Is there a way to open Google Docs/Photos links anonymously? It always asks me which account to view it with.

Is the Xiaomi Mi A2 worth it or is there a better Xiaomi for the same price? I don't mind that it doesn't have an SD card slot that much since I doubt I'll fill 64 GB

Well the Moto G6 has more storage and RAM, and better performance and cameras than the lower end models. But with a Moto E5, E5 Plus or G6 Play you will get better battery life because the battery capacity is bigger (4000mah on E5 and G6 Play, 5000mah on E5 Plus, vs. 3000mah on the G6). Up to you what you preference is.

At the price the G6 goes I'd also consider Nokia 6.1, just keep in mind that one is only compatible with GSM carriers.

Poo of the year

Google, OnePlus, Motorola, Xiaomi, Essential

Redmi Note 5. Has the headphone jack and a MicroSD slot, plus a bigger battery.

how is the camera on that thing?

Today is october 15 Where the fuck is the mi mix 3?

Attached: 450_1000.jpg (450x300, 45K)

>chinamen
>lie

wh...whoa

alright thanks, i have cricket currently if that matters but i can switch if theres any issues, i dont even use a 1gb/data per month most of the time since im a hermit so i was looking into other options where you pay for what you actually use or whatever

From a Xiaomi Mi Note 3 owner, I'd say the A2 is the best buy for the money.
If you don't play games, it's even better than the pocophone due to the better camera, pure android and no notch!
Only the battery is a bit smaller, but from my experience the sd 660 draws less battery than the 845 and the pure android draws less than the miui.

Carriers often give you good deals on phones if you switch your number over to them. For example, MetroPCS will give you a free iPhone SE if you switch over (though you're required to take an unlimited plan so it's probably not worth it in your case):
metropcs.com/iPhoneSEOnUs.html

Here's another good deal I found on slickdeals:
slickdeals.net/f/12122404-simple-mobile-tracfone-net10-smartphones-w-30-day-airtime-purchase-40-off-free-s-h

Well, if I could play autism battle royals that would be kinda nice but it's not a big concern of mine since >shooters on android, but maybe battery life would be a bigger issue altogether.

Poco shit pls go

>better camera
I beg to disagree
youtu.be/VFgHoxmrhfk

The bigger chips are not less power efficient than their smaller brothers. They only use more power when they actually need to in order to make use of their more capable hardware. In addition to that the SD660 is fabbed in 14nm while the SD845 is a 10nm chip.

>pure android
Not really a valid point for Xiaomi devices, given how developer friendly they are.

Funny how they always say $300 but they have the armored Kevlar edition that's like $500 and defeats the whole purpose of the phone.

should I get a pixel 2 xl for 471$ or s9+ for 581$? I can't decide.

>but they have the armored Kevlar edition that's like $500 and defeats the whole purpose of the phone.
Which is most likely a limited edition and not even available worldwide.

how noticable is difference between 720p and 1080p dislays on 5.5" phones?

I only upgraded when app stores started telling me that some of the new apps were not compatible with my phone. Also, 3-4 years is my personal window. My smartphone timeline goes

iphone 3gs > Samsung Galaxy S2, Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Pixel 2 XL

I'm rocking a OP3T, looking to replace my battery. Does anyone have experience with this? OnePlus doesn't sell OEM battery's.. I'm kinda scared getting a non-OEM in combination with the dash charging

Attached: 1478031858322.jpg (1439x1301, 1.03M)

Very. 1080p is, depending on your visual acquity, borderline. 720p has a visible pixel grid and non-smooth fonts.

Pretty good deal if you need unlimited, might just do it and cancel after one month and sell the phone aftet

Thanks, thats the answer I was looking for.

I have an Xperia Premium, how much of a difference does resolution make towards battery life and screen on time? Say for example I have it set to 4K all the time as opposed to the default 1080p. I heard 1440p isn't too bad for most phones?

Like with almost every other smartphone. Try to find a reputable seller, that's all you can do

is an snapdragon 710 an upgrade over an 820 ?

Attached: JNoWgU6baRz78XL2-q-PNJLY7ewo8u4dyq5LWWBY5HU.jpg (640x960, 97K)

Definitely. Graphics are better as well.

realme 2 or redmi note 5?

What about battery drain ?

not true, the Adreno 540 drivers work on the Adren 530 gpus in the 820/821 and that increases the GPUs ability way over the 710's GPU

RN5

Depends on the device. Besides, there are only six Snapdragon 710 devices, two of which are available outside of China.
He was only asking about the 820. It's easier to compare like this:
youtube.com/watch?v=AKZeBtPC2x4

What are the best smartphones in the $250 range? I remember that used to be the magic number budget phones would strive for but I'm wondering if that market still exists. (Just asking in general, but I'm US, Verizon, and I don't need anything too powerful)

Whats better in RN5?

>Verizon
One of the Motorola phones, Moto G6/Z2 Play/Z2 Force/X4 are all around $250-300. Sony XA2 is also now certified for Verizon.

>POTY

More like ugliest turd google has ever shot out of their ass.

Available outside of India, 1080p vs. 720p and that's for a 6.2" panel in 2018. for some reason along with Snapdragon 450 vs. 636.

Better display resolution and no notch, better processor, better software, unlockable bootloader, better cameras.

goddamn it I hate irresponsible online sellers who don't reply on time

Thanks! I was looking at Motorola so I'll check those out in more detail.

It's always troubled me how some people expect to be begged to be given money. What a bizzare strategy.

is it worth waiting for black friday to buys rn5?

No, chinks don't do Black Friday. And anyway it's a $150 phone, not really worth it to wait just to potentially save $5-10.

It lacks US network bands and I doubt it will be on sale even then. And buying it online at the time defeats the purpose of its pricing.

How annoying is not having a jack ?

Chinks do Single's Day at 11/11 and it's the biggest sale of the world. They move more than 20 billion dollars. Bigger than Black Friday.

user with fucked up jack for about a year, usign bluetooth headphones (Pioneer SE-MS7BT)

>bluetooth transmission is shit sometimes, for example if you cover the phone with your hand in pocket music stutters
>have to remember to charge headphones
>can't connect to proper speakers or amplifier

what I'm talking about, well in the case specifically the LG 820/821 powered phones, have updated drivers that increase the performance of the Adreno 530 GPUs and the are now performing as well as the Adreno 540 GPUs which blow away the GPUs on the 710
forum.xda-developers.com/v20/development/mod-adreno-vulkan-drivers-snapdragon-t3681901

Xiaomi has that pain in the ass 720 hour waiting time on the newer models these days. They used to make you wait 3 days but either shady resellers made them extend the wait time or they're trying to get people hooked into their ecosystem.

What about the " can't play listen to music while charing the phone"

Yes, for that price it's a steal.

Alright, ty.

How many times in the last 5 years a scenario occurred where you were charging your phone, wanted to listen to music and didn't have a computer on hand?

I'm looking to get a Oneplus6 but I'm not too experienced with phones. I'm looking to put my music on it too and I'm wondering if it has a good sound card.

you obviously can listen to music on bluetooth headphones while charging the phone

P2XL hands down

Pretty much mix 2s and mi 8 level which has a Dxomark of 99. I've found it to be mediocre in low light shoots. No OIS

Which one is superior: Mi Mix 2 (regular, not 2s) or Mi 8?

Mi8. Better display (AMOLED vs LCD), better performance (SD845 vs SD835), better cameras. Though I'd personally get the Pocophone over either because that still keeps the headphone jack and MicroSD slot, plus the battery is bigger.

>3xl preordered
Pretty excited. Supposed go get it thursday.

Attached: popcorn_cat.png (249x250, 97K)

I thought about the same, but it doesn't have the LTE band my carrier does (Band 2 1900MHz)

Actually, fuck it, I'll fall for this meme even if I'm stuck with only 3G speeds.

Is the Moto G6 with 64gb storage and 4gb ram only available through Amazon Prime in the US? Locally I can only find it with 32gb/3gb ram. Is that extra gb of ram worth it?

Afaik, yes. But you don't want to get the Amazon Prime Exclusive version, first of all it's got unremovable Amazon bloatware on it, secondly the bootloader is permanently locked.

Oh then yeah fuck that. Guess I'll just stick with the 3gb ram version. Or get something else.

Thanks

Poco or Mi Max 3 pic related? I'm about to bite the bullet tomorrow.

Attached: Xiaomi-Mi-Max-3-6-9-Inch-6GB-128GB-Smartphone-Blue-690425-.jpg (1000x1000, 44K)

poco for 3.5mm jack and microSD sloot

Mi Max, not Mi Mix. It also has a headphone jack and MicroSD slot. Though I'd still agree that Poco is the better buy.

Redmi Note 5

>5500mAh battery
sounds pretty awesome but i'd still go with the pocophone

miui.am or xiaomi.eu?

Xiaomi.eu

Based and redpilled

To all the anons that pre-ordered their Pixel 3s. What is your shipping date? Ordered on the 12th and it says mine will come in the 22-23rd. And I hope yall got Preferred Care.

Attached: Pixel 3 XL.png (1501x1534, 1.1M)

Have a choice between XZ2 Premium, XZ3, S9+, Note9 and iPhone X(lol) - I don't want a phone w/o a headphone jack, but also don't fancy Samsung's bloatware and policy on rooting. Mostly use my phone for music, shitposting and browsing web, though I play from time to time. Which should I pick, Sony or Samsung (or Apple lol) - and which of the two options I have?

ordered my 128gb black small pixel on the 9th, currently says delivered by Oct 23-24. I'm in the South eastern US.

I like the mi a2 lite but if I can spend a bit more money what should I get?
nokia 6.1 plus? galaxy a8?

Pocophone

MIA2 ( OR MI A2 LITE?) or REDMI NOTE 5?

Redmi Note 5 for 3.5mm jack and microSD slot

big phone (for me) and too expensive here

mi a2 lite $230
nokia 6.1 plus $280
galaxy a8 $310
poco $410

Is this the place to also ask about phone plans? I'm currently using Mint Mobile, 5gb/mo data plan. For 3 months at a time it's $30/mo and if you buy 12 months it's $20/mo.

I've noticed my monthly data usage is usually below 2gb so I'm paying for a lot of overhead. Is there a good phone plan with 3gb/mo or variable data usage with similar performance?