XFCE is, by far, the best desktop environment. Here's why:

XFCE is, by far, the best desktop environment. Here's why:

-It's lightweight, but fully-featured. Unlike LXDE, it offers full functionality, and it only uses something like 300MB of RAM.

-It's amazingly easy to make it look like you want to. You can do whatever you want with it, and it takes minutes to customize.

-It is a desktop and user-oriented DE. The XFCE devs don't like experiments. They will not force a tablet UI on you like Gnome basedboys do. They will not remove functionality from it to make the user follow "da guhnome experience".

-It follows the Unix philosophy. Every component of XFCE is modular and can be replaced or removed.

If you don't use XFCE, you are retarded.

Attached: desktop.png (1366x768, 138K)

Other urls found in this thread:

superuser.com/questions/436541/how-do-you-increase-the-resize-border-thickness-in-xubuntu-12-04
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I'm in love with my Gnome 3 Desktop. It's the future of desktop. Suse + Gnome =

This looks better than previous iterations.

future of the tablet and SJWs, not the desktop

die

Desktop environments are for lazy faggots. Creating your own is the only way to achieve true happiness with your computing environment.

Why can't you just kill yourself?

Not everyone lives in a mom's basement, you know.

Enjoy your shitty labour job, wage slave.

I tried all DE for long time and XFCE is the best DE.
If I had to choose a WM I would go with i3, but I don't see the point of using a WM when I can use a lot of similar keyboard shortcuts on XFCE.

i'm convinced.

>1366x768
>blurry font rendering
>washed up material icons
>red wallpaper and black panel
disgusting

Attached: ftw.gif (400x548, 1.27M)

Computers are tools. You use them to complete a job, then walk away.

Based

So, you don't like it?

I'm an Ubuntu newfag. What's wrong about Gnome?

Attached: HeroJojoshII.jpg (101x93, 10K)

>If you don't use XFCE, you are retarded.
Well thats a first......I actually agree with OP

Attached: pepsi.gif (500x281, 3.87M)

>1366x768
Literally the standard screen resolution. If you own an old Memepad like me, you have no choice.
>blurry font rendering
That's the screencapture tool's fault. I turned hinting off and the font rendering is amazing.
>washed up material icons
What do you mean by "washed up"?
>red wallpaper and black panel
Literally the Patrician choice.

based and redpilled

It's the most dumbed down desktop environment. You cannot customize literally anything on it without additional software, and the devs are obsessed with forcing people to accept their retarded design choices because "muh Gnome way". They literally removed desktop icons lmfao.

They are the Apple of opensource.

There isn't single Compton config that doesn't screen tear / freeze with nvidia drives and believe me, I've tried them all. For this reason I'm going to go back to gnome 3 and I hate that DE more than anything, but I guess that's the best Linux can offer.

>tablet rotation on a desktop computer
>fills half of your RAM right off the bat
>ugly taskbar

Does XFCE have an option like 'disable compositing for full-screen windows'?
I'm using Cinnamon, it's aight.

Well I had to install quite some extensions to make everything look more like I want it. I do have Desktop icons though

Using about 2 gigabytes of RAM on average. Is that a lot? (I have 8gb, so it doesn't matter too much for me)

Epic gamer wallpaper

Linux is a kernel.

>Using about 2 gigabytes of RAM on average. Is that a lot?
Yes. This is my RAM with a Jow Forums tab open.

Attached: RAM.png (254x54, 5K)

what doesnt lxde offer
also
>only 300mb ram

> i dont see the point in running a wm

my thinkpad is like 10 years old and is 1440x900

>what doesnt lxde offer
A searchable Applications menu. A notifications applet. A user interface that doesn't look like shit. Compatibility with GTK themes, etc.

>is 2gb ram alot for just the gui
ffs

so xfce offers worthless bloat. got it

I use KDE honestly.

this. poor ignorant OP

>You literally can't search for an app hitting the Windows key and typing the app's name
>You can't see old notifications. If you don't see them when they appear and dissapear in 10 seconds, they are gone forever.
>"worthless bloat"

KYS

Not just the GUI, the entire system

It's going to be slower, more bloated and less customizable as they continue their gtk3 transition. By the time they've finished (in a few years lmao) gtk3 will be deprecated and not supported. The Xfce devs will probably suicide at this point rather than transition to Gtk4

Yes

enjoy your screen tearing

I also bitched a lot about the screen tearing, but I discovered that there's an option called ""Synchronize drawing to the vertical blank" in the default compositor that makes the tearing dissapear.

>that makes the tearing dissapear
no it doesn't unless you have really low standards

Yes it does. There's no screen tearing at all, at least in my machine.

>in my machine
>in
Then you've never used a smooth OS. Unless you're running Wayland, you'll never have a smooth experience and XFCE doesnt run on Wayland.

>in
Who cares, not everyone is a burger

>Unless you're running Wayland
Fuck off with your meme display server. Non-neets use X11 and avoid pre-alpha software.

No tearing with AMDGPU, it was awful with Novideo and I had to force compositing on the driver.

The XFCE compositor is crap, it doesn't solve the tearing at all. You need to use compton or enable composition on your drivers unless using the newer AMD ones.

That's a cute desktop wallpaper and desktop; actually looks like a real setup rather than the desktop catwalks that go on here.
Anyways, I used XFCE on a chromebook.

i'd rather be aware of the things GNOME is shit at and work around them, rather than having to waste time trying to resolve newly introduced issues like all DEs are garbage because devs think they know better than the users, so "if you don't like it just fork itâ„¢". switching from one to another and hoping that it's better than the previous one, is a completely pointless exercise unless you're a NEET and/or have autism.

what are your thoughts on lxqt?

not him, just tried it, inconsistent.

you think it will improve or does it have fundamental problems?

I tried it a year ago after an Arch installation and I liked it, but it wasn't mature enough for daily use. It was simple and fast, but unstable as fuck.

nice blogpost faggot

gdi openbox pleb

I like MATE

m8

>1 pixel border to resize a window

Attached: 1399807787110.gif (192x333, 2.53M)

KDE uses around 400mb. That's a whole 100 more megabytes. Megabytes don't grow on trees user.

>caring about 100mb

what is this, the 90s?

screen tearing.
and no compton is not an acceptable option.
fix this shit then I can start using it.
I stay on openbox for now.

b/c all DEs have a WM, right?

What tablet have you seen that runs Linux out of the box?
Also if I had to use Linux on a tablet I guess I'd go full retard and switch back to Enlightenment

I prefer KDE but use xfce on my toaster.

just force full composition pipeline in nvidia-settings and save it to xorg retard

This. Never going back. Lightweight, customizable, has everything I need

KDE is the superior choice as its memory footprint is similar, yet KDE offers much more functionality. Can your DE send keypresses from your desktop keyboard to your phone? Does it synchronize the clipboard between multiple computers and phones (literally Ctrl-C on one PC, Ctrl-V on the other)? Can it sync notifications between machines? Can you browse your phone's file system over the network? Does it come with a global search bar that searches through active windows, applications, files, settings and browser bookmarks? Does the window manager allow fine tuning things like the initial size and positioning of all applications or the window placement strategy to use? Does it have a virtual file system protocol for man pages and system settings?

>memory footprint is similar

Attached: duckplungerpic.jpg (1024x866, 61K)

>synchronize the clipboard between multiple computers and phones
>sync notifications between machines
Botnet
>Can you browse your phone's file system over the network?
Yes, believe it or not kde didn't invent this.
>global search bar
B L O A T
>virtual file system protocol
Not a kde invention. It works in xfce.

Attached: 1507196871428.png (645x729, 59K)

>local network
>botnet
what
>KDE didn't invent this
While it's true that KDE didn't invent automatically configured sshfs access to an Android device, I'd like to see other file managers integrate this as a one-click action.
>a search bar is bloat
Baloo file indexing is bloat, but come on.
>implying KDE didn't invent KIO, literally KDE I/O
>XFCE supports KIO
What happens when you enter settings:/ in your file manager's address bar? GVFS is shit btw.

I've had it run at as low as 450MB and I've seen 600MB+ on XFCE

XFCE is /our desktop envornment/

Attached: index.jpg (268x188, 8K)

>>implying KDE didn't invent KIO, literally KDE I/O
>>XFCE supports KIO
>What happens when you enter settings:/ in your file manager's address bar? GVFS is shit btw.
Nice goalpost shifting
>>a search bar is bloat
>Baloo file indexing is bloat, but come on.
It's bloat.
>>local network
>>botnet
>what
Connecting like that is asking for security problems. I'm not even sure why the feature matters at all.
>>KDE didn't invent this
>While it's true that KDE didn't invent automatically configured sshfs access to an Android device, I'd like to see other file managers integrate this as a one-click action.
You never specified sshfs in your original post. Nice shifting of the goalposts.

Attached: 15035865.jpg (300x300, 17K)

>Comparing worst case of one thing with the best case of another

Attached: laughing_clats.png (465x455, 315K)

yes

>goalpost shifting
I had the goalposts at that position the whole time.
>It's bloat.
Baloo is. KRunner is not.
>security problems
>what is pairing with certificates
pic related, everything related to KDE Connect is secured this way (sending files, clipboard sync, remote control, medial control, notification sync, remote fs access, remote comand execution)
>You never ...
I did imply it though, as I was talking about KDE Connect's filesystem expose feature, which internally uses sshfs (automagically configured and secured as explained above) and is easily accessible in Dolphin. I have never seen anything like this on any other DE or file manager.
Admittedly it's not the best comparison, even considering that wasn't the worst case. However, my point was not to claim better or even equal memory usage, merely "similar", and I think 100MB more can be consideres as within that margin.

Attached: IMG_20181015_235107.jpg (1080x778, 98K)

This nigger. Just look at this.
Initial claim:
>memory footprint is similar
Then later says
>my point was not to claim better or even equal memory usage

Attached: 1534877355252.jpg (700x734, 107K)

Your attention span is surprisingly small. "Similar" does not necessarily imply "equal or better".

Why xfce over mate?

>its memory footprint is similar
It's memory footprint may be similar, but it chokes if you don't have a decent video card. It doesn't even run on a cheap Chromebook.

This!

Try this if you haven't already ...

Mate has lots of bugs. Its developers move too quickly.

I don't like XFCE

Attached: Screenshot_20181015_174035.png (4480x1440, 554K)

Agreed fellow XFCE user, it's got enough customization for the autists but still can be used by the average person, and it's easily customized.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-10-15_18-49-53.png (1366x768, 954K)

Are you fucking retarded? you really care about fucking 100mb, my oldest fucking machine in my house has 8gb ddr2 with q6600

Attached: 1538608397431.jpg (870x675, 129K)

ur mostly correct, but some themes in some distros change that

>XFCE is, by far, the best desktop environment. Here's why:
>-It's lightweight, but fully-featured. Unlike LXDE, it offers full functionality, and it only uses something like 300MB of RAM.
>
wtf why did you only write blank spaces

based foot

>wtf why did you only write blank spaces
Wut?

it's amazing to think that KDE devs think these are the features most people would need in a DE. as always, gimmicky shit comes before any kind of functionality.

wow that is fucking ugly. you need to be hung.

What software did you use to handle optimus? bumblebee?

I don't use optimus, this is a real compter not a laptop.

>hung
*hanged

alt+rightclick

the biggest advantage of mouse control is that it only requires one hand

If it had support for exposé triggered by hot corner I might use it but it doesn't

Try: superuser.com/questions/436541/how-do-you-increase-the-resize-border-thickness-in-xubuntu-12-04
There are also some packaging editors/tweakers of xfce themes that supposedly fix that.

>"Similar" does not necessarily imply "equal or better".
It does, actually. It implies exactly that.