Hi Jow Forums

Hi Jow Forums
at work I am doing stuff with Wafers. They contain Gallium arsenide.

Does anybody have experience with Wafers?
How much Gallium aarsenide can they contain?
How toxic is it?

Attached: Depositphotos_5935701_l-2015-1.jpg (2000x1600, 3.85M)

yes

No

i dont know

can you repeat the question

Don't eat it
Otherwise you're fine, but wear gloves.

Does anybody know how toxic it is to touch LED wafers with Gallium arsenide?

I've purchased some defect wafers as wall decor, beyond that pretty much no one but a fab worker will ever see or handle a wafer at any point. The entire design team of technicians and engineers to designed the IC in question will never so much as breath on an uncapped die.
How much GaAs a wafer contains would depend entirely on the process it was made on, and what they where making. That would determine where the material was being deposited and why. Impossible to make a statement on that without the pertinent info.
None of it is toxic unless you ingest it, even then you'd probably have bigger issues from the sharp particles in your GI tract more so than any toxic compound being metabolized in your system.

10/10 totally logical and great thread.

Maybe

Don't eat wafers mang

I did not wear any gloves and I did eat and lick my fingers after touching them. Could it be that my diarrhea comes from that?
> no one but a fab worker
We use broken wafers from a fab to build wafer testing machines.

Dont breath in GaAs dusts as they are cancerogenic. Do not ingest GaAs as a whole.

Dissolving GaAs in an oxidizing acid such as nitric acid will form arsenic acid which has an LD50 of 6mg/kg in rabbits (very toxic). For comparison, cyanide has an LD50 ~2mg/kg in humans.

Theres a near zero chance that any material from a wafer transferred to your skin.
You shit your guts out from bacteria imbalance 99.999% of the time. In general its a fucking stupid idea to lick your filthy dick beaters, but I can say pretty confidently that you didn't poison yourself from contact with a wafer.

Diharrea is a sign for arsenic poisoning but I doubt that by touching a wafer you can dissolve enough Arsenic out of it in order to get intoxicated.

Oil from finger tips along with sweat isn't going to be reactive enough with any of the metals for someone to absorb them in any detectable amount.
Also these materials aren't going to be anywhere near the top or bottom of a completed die, they'll be concealed under a couple metal layers, plus whatever resin cap is on top.

ok, thank you.

>Does anybody have experience with Wafers?

Well I develop and produce superconducting electronics on wafers. However, usually on silicon wafer or sapphire wafers. The wafer itself is nothing special....

>How much Gallium aarsenide can they contain?
It could be almost all GaAs. They make chips by adding a few parts per billion of impurities to it.

>How toxic is it?
I wouldn't lick it. I wouldn't drill it or do anything that made dust.

I'd be more worried about the acids they use to create diodes and chips from the wafers
>mfw hydrofluoric acid

Attached: gdri75z.jpg (760x793, 72K)

Residues of HF can fully evaporate, so no worries there.

You're not the boss of me now